Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somthing happening to Belmayne?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking with my mum this morning and she was saying that she heard that somthing was going to happen with site and lands at Belmayne but she wasnt too sure exactly what was going onShe thought they might be put up for sale or the council was taking it back. Anyone any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Its the town centre land, the Dublin City Council are signing it away for sustainable housing. Maybe more of a story for the Dublin City Forum as it concerns Dublin City Council?

Article from Todays RTE Website
    Dublin City councillors have agreed to sign away land earmarked for a town centre at Belmayne because there is no prospect of development.

The council would also become liable soon for interest payments of €750,000 a year if it held onto the land.

These are currently being met by the Department of the Environment.

The town centre was to be a cornerstone of the 'Northern Fringe' development involving a new town housing 30,000 people.

However, these plans were hit by the downturn and developers Stanley Holdings decided not to proceed with the town centre.

The council now wants to dispose of a total of three plots of land in the area comprising 16 hectares and bought for nearly €31m.

They would be transferred for a nominal payment to the Housing and Sustainable Communities agency, which provides affordable and social housing.

Although the council would not have to repay Government loans until the sites were sold, it would have to pay interest payments under new rules brought in by the Department of the Environment.

Under the terms of the transfer to the HSC, described by one council official as a 'holding exercise', the housing agency will return the lands to the council if a buyer becomes available

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Dublin County North

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

It was just on TV3 news about it. Bad form all these things were promised to people in 07 even with Jamie and Louise Redknapp being at the launch party and now they're left with nothing but a building site. I'm sure there's many similar stories around the country but it still doesn't make it okay just because the money has run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

I cant imagine anything being built on those lands there is no need for social housing there are so many empty units nationwide!
    They did say the land could be bought back in the future thats what will prob happen ten years down the line so the hoarding will stay there till then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

They really went mad alright on the advertising for that place with the celebrities, hoarding, paper ads. reading a book a few yaers ago "the builders" one of the guys developing it lived a fairly flashy high life for a guy in mid 30s. private jets, ferraris, shopping trips to milan. That whole area from clongriffin right up to the hilton is half empty in both commercial and residential and still full of building sites

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

They went insane when it came to housing..nomore will ever be built there.
    The area used to be farming land..why not return it to agriculture and at least let it pay its way.

I think if all the building sites where cleaned up and made green areas in would make the place look an awfull lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I dunno what's happening with it now, but it was mentioned on a repeat programme on RTE last night, think it was called Ghost estates. I had seen it about a year ago. Why are RTE showing repeats of these shows, they should re-visit to see how the people that featured on it a year ago are faring now instead of putting on useless shows voting in the best person in Ireland, and making celebrity banisteoir, yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Babooshka wrote: »
    Why are RTE showing repeats of these shows, they should re-visit to see how the people that featured on it a year ago are faring now instead of putting on useless shows voting in the best person in Ireland, and making celebrity banisteoir, yet again.

I enjoyed Celebrity Banisteoir :(

Yeah i saw that ghost estates show some the ones down the country were shocking!!!
    I would not call belmayne a ghost estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Degsy wrote: »
    They went insane when it came to housing..nomore will ever be built there.
    The area used to be farming land..why not return it to agriculture and at least let it pay its way.

Because Degsy oul son,that would be using your brain,and as you know,the shower in charge of running this country onto the rocks,DO NOT I repeat Do NOT use their brains,or whatever is rattling around inside their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

and dont forget that the old belcamp college site up to bewleys hotel was meant to be tunred into a new town aswell. wonder which generation of gannons will get to see that

neris wrote: »
    and dont forget that the old belcamp college site up to bewleys hotel was meant to be tunred into a new town aswell. wonder which generation of gannons will get to see that

Gannons latest plan for the Belcamp site is to turn it into a medical campus , the royal collage of surgeons are behind his plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Gannons latest plan for the Belcamp site is to turn it into a medical campus , the royal collage of surgeons are behind his plan!

Huh, how would that work??? Would RCSI sell their Stephens Green buildings and relocate out to Belcamp??? I would have said it's a fairly awful site for a 3rd level campus myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Huh, how would that work??? Would RCSI sell their Stephens Green buildings and relocate out to Belcamp??? I would have said it's a fairly awful site for a 3rd level campus myself..

That's the plan alright - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0310/1224265980683.html

Don't think it's such a bad plan, it's a big site, with reasonable road and bus links, although a shuttle bus to the DART would be good. I assume the RCSI are looking for more space - I don't know if there is much likelihood it will happen though/

PLANS for a new 756m medical 'centre of excellence' on the south Fingal border have been unveiled, which could create a staggering 15,000 jobs. Developer Gerry Gannon is proposing to construct a new third-level educational, medical and research campus centre for the Royal College of Surgeons on the site of the former Belcamp College facility in Balgriffin

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/premium/news/gannon-masterplan-2100680.html

Advertisement