Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She STINKS!!!

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice really.

We have a 5 month old German Wire Haired Pointer. We have been feeding her Red Mills Leader Puppy food. She seems in general good health, bright eyes, shiny coat etc) but the one thing I am worried about is she stinks!:o She seems to fart a lot, (Im actually laughing as I type this!) and my god, the smell off her would nearly make me leave the room! Is this normal???? We have another doggie who is on Red Mills Leader Adult with with no problems... Can anyone recommend a good puppy food?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It could be the oats/corn in the ingredients. I would recommend trying to find a quality food without these ingredients at around the 25% protein mark, 30% protein in a food is also a bit high. You can also get dog treats/biscuits containing charcoal that will help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Had the same problem with the springer pup with redmills, you couldnt sit in the room with him, was brought to the vets and is now on Hills Science plan puppy and all is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

also a barf/raw based diet will eliminate the doggy smell completely........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have heard people say they have this problem with Red Mills before - may just be the food. Changing it will probably help with both the smelly dog and the gas. Just be careful to do so gradually to avoid a dodgy belly.

I know one of mine sticks when on a certain food, no gas but his coat really smelled - when we switched him to another he smelled fine again so it must have been down to the food. Some dogs do fart more than others so if you change and she still has very bad gas after a few weeks on the new food it may just be one of those things that you have a dog with gas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I had mine on red mills but id usually get arden grange,Their poo looks better and they smell less.My older boxer Bruno can clear a room in about 4 seconds honest :)If he is in the kitchen we can still smell him in the sitting room.I love Arden Grange, E50 for a 15kg bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Thanks for all the advice guys, going to do a bit of research into the Hills Science plan puppy & Arden Grange.

One slight problem, used the last of the Red mills last night & dont really want to buy another bag if I am changing foods, would it be really bad if I changed foods straight away / with out doing it slowly???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bearpup wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys, going to do a bit of research into the Hills Science plan puppy & Arden Grange.

One slight problem, used the last of the Red mills last night & dont really want to buy another bag if I am changing foods, would it be really bad if I changed foods straight away / with out doing it slowly???

do it slowly over a week or so.....buy a 3kilo bag to switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

It's not the end of the world to change diet suddenly. Yes, it is recommended to do it slowly, but it would be a bit silly to have to go buy 2 new bags. You may find there's a bit of diarrhoea or change in faeces for a couple days, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem. I've had to change my dog's food on short notice before and he never had any problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thedogspyjamas

also, puppies do have a doggie smell that you cannot even :eek:shampoo out. that's a fact jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The vet let us change over straight away.

Lol Thedogspyjamas, I would love the dog to keep his pupps smell. love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

If they bottled puppy smell Id buy it as a perfume i love it that much but don't think the OH would appreciate it! Unfortunately the smell coming from our pup is most definitely not puppy smell!!!

Came home from work this evening and the OH had bought a massive bag of red mills puppy :-( might have to wait another few weeks to change her food!

Advertisement