Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi on Iphone?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Next up in my quest for internet nirvana in this college is getting the campus wifi working on me iphone.

Not a feckin notion I have got whatsoever how to do it though.

Anyone have any guides to how i might go about doing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Assuming it's compatible go to Settings/Wi-Fi and your college SSID should be there waiting.

Now most college networks want your id and password for Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA and WPA2).

Now I actually do not know if iPhone supports this protocol. If it does the option to enter ID and Password should appear as you try to log on.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

I tried everything my limited knowledge will allow, one of me mates said he had to get one of his mates to set it up for him somehow to get it going but doesnt remember what it was.

The open wifi (which i use for my laptop) is the one i assume I should be trying to connect to, but it doesnt ask me for verification of my student number and password as it would on the laptop. Again though my knowledge is limited so I could be fúcking up something rather simple

The open wifi (which i use for my laptop) is the one i assume I should be trying to connect to, but it doesnt ask me for verification of my student number and password as it would on the laptop. Again though my knowledge is limited so I could be fúcking up something rather simple

Yes, this is the protocol problem. By default iPhone only supports shared password, I'm pretty sure of that now. I'm afraid I don't know how get a WPA protocol on the phone.

I believe one can jalibreak the phone and install a third party network programme with the required protocols.

gbee wrote: »
    I believe one can jalibreak the phone and install a third party network programme with the required protocols.

Ah right good stuff, tis jailbroken anywho so i shall give this a wee try anyway and hope for the best, cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

I designed this guide for a Mac OS X computer but with an iPhone the principle is the same.

http://www.morepackets.com/blog/2010/2/4/connecting-an-apple-computer-to-the-it-sligo-wifi.html

Settings -> Network -> WiFi -> Wifi_Open

Wifi_Open DetailedView (tap the wee blue arrow) -> Manual proxy configuration -> proxy.itsligo.ie (Port 8080)

Authentication enabled:
    Username = College ID
    Password = College Password

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »

Wrong I'm afraid. iPhone supports WPA. No need to jailbreak. Waste of time.

Open, WEP and WPA are all supported.

Follow the guide I linked in the post above.

Job done!

(Linking here again!)
    http://www.morepackets.com/blog/2010/2/4/connecting-an-apple-computer-to-the-it-sligo-wifi.html

john__long wrote: »
    Wrong I'm afraid. iPhone supports WPA. No need to jailbreak. Waste of time.l

Good to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Can't get this to work at all, won't recgonise that it is connected.

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Can't get this to work at all, won't recgonise that it it connected.

Damn. I know of others who've had that problem.

Mine works ok. Most of the time.

Might have to take a spin to Computer Services but I know what they'll say...

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Can't get this to work at all, won't recgonise that it is connected.

+1 no recognition of mine either

• Advertisement

I reset my network settings to see what was happening.

My iPhone 4 having issues now. It gets an IP address, but shortly afterward, it loses it again and another is OFFER'ed by the DHCP server. This process repeats over and over and over.

The WiFi icon doesn't appear.

I'll take a trip to Computer Services tomorrow afternoon to try and get some clarification on the matter.

Although I'm pretty sure I know what they'll say:

"We don't support iPhones". Standard IT Services cop-out.

OK. Just tried to connect iPhone to WiFi in the B block. Specifically, the 4th year lab. The WiFi access point is in that room.

It works! WiFi icon displayed. Can browse website. Confirmed that the IP is that of the college.

My suggestion:

Go stand outside the 4th year lab, B1043, attempt to connect to WiFi. See what happens. I'll try and connect again from the D block in about 20 mins.

How did you get on?

Same problem in the D block. Received an IP address. However the phone never switched from GSM to WiFi connection. It's really weird cos my iPad works fine in all areas!

I'm now wondering if it's an issue with IPv6 on the Cisco Wireless Access Points. The iPhone does an IPv6 scan for equipment on it's IPv6 subnet, namely a router.

Perhaps the older AP's have no IPv6 support? I don't know enough about the AP version's or IPv6 in Cisco in general to say for certain. Must investigate more!

Right. I'm now sitting in Doppios and it's connected to WiFi successfully albeit with a weak signal.

Very very strange...

Right. I'm now sitting in Doppios and it's connected to WiFi successfully albeit with a weak signal.

Very very strange...

I tried over at the 4th year lab myself there yesterday with no joy at all im afraid. It aint on if you ask me cause im quite sure a reasonable proportion of people within the college must be rocking and rolling iphones at this stage

Agreed.

I was chatting to staff who have issues also. Some staff have WiFi, others don't.

Very hit and miss.

I think I'll have to revise my theory somewhat! Perhaps not IPv6 related.

I connected to wifi secure and entered in my student name and pass and its working perfect now!

Aye. It's working better this week.

I think there was some testing going on on the WiFi as a new network appeared called Wifi_Testing.

Maybe whatever they did fixed it. I'd actually *love* to know what was causing it though!!

Finally got access on Wifi_Secure

:D:D:D

Bout fúcking time and all

• Advertisement

Same as. AFAIK it's still in testing though!

I emailed IT Services to query some security issues I spotted and was directed to that network. Works perfectly.

Must do up some guides for OS X & iOS devices tomorrow. See if IT Services want em!

Anyone know how to set up the college e-mail account on the iPhone?

Well Eddie!

Create a new Exchange mail account.

Server :: pod51007.outlook.com

Username = College mail, so s00012345@mail.itsligo.ie.
    Password = college password.

Use SSL connection. That should do it!

Cheers working perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

Hi,

Nothing Apple is supported by the college so IT Services probably won't entertain you. However there is a document printed and posted on a wall/on a door down at IT services about Apple.

Cheers!

That's such a bull**** argument on their part. Nothing Apple is supported...
    It's no different than any other technology vendor.

On a topically related note, the exchange pod server seems to have changed!

I'm now on : db3prd0204.outlook.com

Ehhh it's not so much an argument as just the way it is. You're correct in saying "It's no different than any other technology vendor" except it hasn't to do with the technology more to do with the resources and the fact that they are pretty much Microsoft all the way which means IT support for the dominant client is where resources are spent.

I agree though that it's not a big deal and they could offer the service.

...more to do with the resources and the fact that they are pretty much Microsoft all the way which means IT support for the dominant client is where resources are spent.

I agree though that it's not a big deal and they could offer the service.

I know. I'm just being cranky cos of the apparent dodging of work. From working with service desk guys before I understand and appreciate the logic behind it, but when something is so simple and setting up WiFi...

WiFi setup is pretty much standard on all platforms. Ironically their new WiFi_Secure is WAY more annoying to get set up on Windows than Mac/Linux.

Any decent tech head can figure it out even if you're only trained in Windows! I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to set up a Juniper router even though I've only studied Cisco routers so far!

I know. I'm just being cranky cos of the apparent dodging of work. From working with service desk guys before I understand and appreciate the logic behind it, but when something is so simple and setting up WiFi...

Yes I know but when it's the logic of one man... well therein lies the problem eh? Typical hierarchical government organisation.
    WiFi setup is pretty much standard on all platforms. Ironically their new WiFi_Secure is WAY more annoying to get set up on Windows than Mac/Linux.

Really? I just entered my credentials and it works fine [Windows7 BTW].
    Any decent tech head can figure it out even if you're only trained in Windows! I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to set up a Juniper router even though I've only studied Cisco routers so far!

I thoroughly agree - but I don't think it's a skills based decision. I will say though that at the initial "wifi" level everything will be fine, easy to support. But then think about software installations, upgrades/updates, security considerations etc etc the requirements for service level.. eh... services (:o) add a lot more to the "resource" cost than what might be initially perceived. But again I don't think it should be a big problem with many people now running MacOS or even a *NIX derivative.

Anyway, back to work for me. Lunch was nice Mmmmm!

• Advertisement

Just entered em and hay presto! Everyone else I've met with Windows XP -> 7 can't. I've had to manually create the connection profile and add the AP's certificate to the allow list.

HUMBUG! Maybe they've fixed it!

For the service considerations, it would be pain!
    It would also be really easy to deploy a iOS Configuration Profile to the College Website and then have a student download it via 3G. Maybe even email it to that person!

The possibilities are vast. But ya. Back to the thesis!

/cry

Advertisement