Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking over an empty house.

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I bought a semi detatched in the country five years ago. The builder finished my house and we moved in. I thought he was going to complete the house attached to mine but he didn't. As a result I am living next door to a kip. Everybody uses the garden as a dumbing ground and the place is now rat infested. The outside of the house is finished bit the interior needs to be done ie. the water and electricity etc. This house is going into a state of disrepair and I'm afraid it will drag the value of my house down. I asked the builder if he intends to do anything about it but he fobs me off with an excuse that he will do it up when the market improves..(which I cant see happening anytime soon.)

Is there anyway I can make a claim on this property legally ? Or force him to maintain it?

Any advive is appreciated.

Regards

Bo-Jangles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The owner can be forced to maintain it, more info here. I don't know how likely that is to go through though (perhaps others know), so you may be better off trying to get him to do a one time clean-up of the garden if you agree to keep it clean afterwards. That's not exactly fair of course, but in reality you're the one who has to live next to it so I assume you want rid of the rats.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You could try,
    If you can move into the property and stay in it for 12 years without the builder or anyone else telling you to get the hell out then legally you have a chance.

Outside of this then your only option is to buy it,

You could get onto the council in relation to dumping and if the house is not secure they may pressure the builder to cover windows etc and lock any side gates.

Of course you could also stop and report any people you see using the place for dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cabaal wrote: »
    Of course you could also stop and report any people you see using the place for dumping.
    When they're dumping, see if they dump anything that identifies them. Very hard to disprove you are dumping, when your address is found in the rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Thanks for the replys so far.

I did bumb into the builder a couple of times and offered to buy the house in its current state. He wasn't interested is selling, telling me he will sell it when the market improves. I have also sent him texts to clean up the mess at the back. It is mostly left over wood and carpets and stuff like that. He just ignores the texts. I also texted him about kids running amuck in the house and spraying graffiti on the walls inside etc but still he takes no action.

The front lawn I cut just to make the outside look a little cleaner.

Bo-Jangles

• Registered Users Posts: 40,105 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He needs to make the property safe. Ring the council. Tell them exactly what is going on.

The only thing you can really do is build a wall around your property, I think your aloud 1.2 meters in the front and up to 2 meters at the back.

Paint your house, etc. Make his stand out like the shed it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He should be ensuring the premises is secure, I'd get onto him by calling him or writing to him and send any letters via registered mail. Failing that contact the council

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The council can enforce him under a 'derelict buildings' law. If he does not clean up and make weather ( and rat) tight they can do it and charge him the cost of their labour which will be a bit higher than what it would cost himself.

Get all the neighbours to complain so you are not singled out by this deadbeat developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Compulsory purchase

All local authorities can buy derelict sites or dangerous land in their areas (including land that is no longer dangerous because the local authority has carried out work on it), either by agreement with the owner or compulsorily. Compulsory purchases have to be advertised in the local newspaper, with details of the land in question, and a notice must be sent to the owner or occupier of the land giving information about how and where he or she can make an objection to the purchase. In the case of a dangerous place, a notice must be posted either on or near the land, giving details of the local authority's intentions. If an objection is made to the compulsory purchase, the local authority cannot buy the land without the consent of An Bord Pleanala..

IMO don't let it get to this stage. You'd possibly end up living alongside bigger type rats - of the two legged variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 triskellion

Get on to housing officer in the local council.
    See about getting the house on the "derelict site register".
    Regardless of the CPO issue raised, the council can tax the owner a % of the house value every year for leaving it derelict. That should spur him on a bit.
    The litter warden/EPA might also be interested to know about the illegal dumping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement