Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green liquid on live light wire

Options
  • 02-11-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

Light was not working in bedroom,took it down and there was a wire loose,so i disconnected it altogether to start again with it,i noticed the tiniest bit of dark wet stuff near the end of the live but when i wiped it of with kitchen towel it was green,this does not seem to have come down the wire as it is dry and not discoloured.
    The wiring is three grey wires coming from a 1973 house,light up and running again but has anyone come across this before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

tipptom wrote: »
    Light was not working in bedroom,took it down and there was a wire loose,so i disconnected it altogether to start again with it,i noticed the tiniest bit of dark wet stuff near the end of the live but when i wiped it of with kitchen towel it was green,this does not seem to have come down the wire as it is dry and not discoloured.
    The wiring is three grey wires coming from a 1973 house,light up and running again but has anyone come across this before.

This is the insulation on the cable that is breaking down.
    The cable may be getting too warm but I would suggest that it is more to do with the age of the cabling.

Get an electrician to check out wiring in house... may be time for rewiring:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

thanks for the reply,the light itself is one of these kids football lights with three halogen spots that you can individually turn wherever,the heat out of these is unnatural,could this have some bearing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

My parents also have a house from 1973 (or thereabouts) and they have this green gunk coming from the pattress boxes. It's the plasticisers in the shielding taking on the green copper in the wire. It flows down the wiring and drips off at the connections.
    It in itself isn't a cause for concern, but as mentioned above, it could is a sign that the insulator is breaking down.
    I suppose a 500v flash test run on the wiring will expose any issues with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

thanks guys,will go with this test,thanks for the replies and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

10-10-20 wrote: »
    My parents also have a house from 1973 (or thereabouts) and they have this green gunk coming from the pattress boxes. It's the plasticisers in the shielding taking on the green copper in the wire. It flows down the wiring and drips off at the connections.
    It in itself isn't a cause for concern, but as mentioned above, it could is a sign that the insulator is breaking down.
    I suppose a 500v flash test run on the wiring will expose any issues with it...

I have seen the "gunk" tarden inbetween screw and conections and then cause problems with overheating.

I aggree with Tipptom
    If the insulation breaks down too much you could get short circuit between cables or possible fir risk..... a megger test will highlight if this is a possible problem in the near future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement