Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband - Rip Wave - What is the story?

• 02-11-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have an Irish Broadband Ripwave modem, which did me fine for internet access at home. I just notice on there website that they are stopping this service in November. I haven't heard anything from them on this matter so wondering if anybody else knows what is going on?

Do you have to send the modem back as well???

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are migrating to the very slightly better, but Intel funded Nomadic/Mobile WiMax on 3.6GHz. "Imagine WiMax".

The new service could be better or worse depending on many things, but isn't Broadband.

Technically the Modem belongs to Imagine.
    Technically the later ones supposed to have a Firmware option for some flavour of WiMax instead of the S-CDMA of Ripwave.

Best to
    a) Ask them about the Modem
    b) find a proper Broadband supplier, or if "on the Go" access would suit better and you really only need casual Internet access for odd bit of email and web, then O2, Vodafone, 3 or Meteor "really" Mobile Broadband Internet may suit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I think I will probably move over to one of the Mobile internet dongles.

I looked into Wimax before but the whole one year contract was a bit off putting as I am only in a rental, and there coverage is pretty poor. But with the mobile at least you can move address without any issues. I know they have their problems but it suits for my needs.

I think it is weird that Irish Broadband haven't informed me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Spindle wrote: »
    I just notice on there website that they are stopping this service in November.

Where? I see a few threads on this but I haven't got a letter and can't find it on their site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/product_summaries.php?cid=6

Ripwave. This service is only available until 1st November 2010. After this date period the customer may have to connect to an alternative broadband service.

Seems they're also starting to shut Breeze down too, though the Irish Broadband site still has it available to order. Tell that to the people in Bray and Greystones who've been told it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 maire c

Hi, I got a letter in the post on Monday & email saying the service would be disconnected in the coming weeks and its very annoying :mad:. Like the other poster, I opted for this particular service as I was renting and wanted something I took takeaway to a new place.

If anyone knows what would be a more suitable replacement, please let me know.

Extract from email/letter:
    "We are now upgrading our Ripwave Broadband customers to our new 4th Generation WiMax Network. This means that your current Ripwave service will be discontinued in the coming weeks. "

"The current Ripwave product and price plan will no longer be available to you and we will replace it with WiMax - where possible."

"We will be in touch soon to arrange for you to upgrade to the WiMax service."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

maire c wrote: »
    If anyone knows what would be a more suitable replacement, please let me know.

Well, if you're happy with Ripwave, then Imagine WiMax may well suit your needs. It may even be better than Ripwave (technically it should be). All depends on how many users there are, and whether you're covered, and a few other factors.

If you need portability, then the 3G operators are the best bet. They offer the widest cover, which makes using them on the move easiest. Imagine WiMax (like Ripwave) doesn't have near this type of cover, especially outside urban areas.

Advertisement