Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog only pee's/poos at home - anyone got a dog like this

Options
  • 02-11-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This isn't a problem - just some info on my dog & wondering if it happens to any dog owners. I have an 18 month old Rough Collie who will only pee/poo in the comfort of her own garden - well actually the comfort of my Mother's garden. Both our garden's connect & she rarely goes in our garden but run's thru' the gap to do her business in my mother's garden. Can take her for a walk for over an hour but she saves it all till she get's home. Last Saturday she was in the house for about 1 hour before I took her to the beach. Left her out before going in the car but nothing happened. Drove to the beach (20 mins), walked for just over an hour, drove home & once out of the car she ran into my Mother's garden to do the biz. I bought a packet of "poo bags" when I got her as a pup & I have used 1 !!. I had a spaniel previously & I needed at least 2 bags for every walk.

Another thing I am amazed with is how she behaves with my Mother who is older & quite frail. She is so gentle around her & lies down at her feet. If a younger person comes about, she's all excited & jumping around but has never jumped up at her. It's amazing what intelligence dogs have.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have a dog is like this - no pooing or peeing on walks and will sometimes be in a rush to get home so that he can go out to the garden to go to the toilet. Maybe it's like some people who don't like to go to the toilet in public bathrooms!

Dogs know far more than we give them credit for, esp if someone is sick, upset or infirm. Anytime I have brought a dog home (usually one of my own) after having an operation or generally being unwell at the vet the rest of my dogs will be very quiet and calm around them. I had one of my dogs "guard" another when he came home from having a hernia removed - growled at the others, wouln't let them near him and sat beside him all evening He was very concerned when we picked him up and checked on him when we put him back down. Another one of my dogs is currently in late stage MVD, and will die of CHF, he is not able for too much and my other dogs generally are very gentle with him. If he gets hurt (the biggest cry baby ever!) they are all very concerned and make sure he is ok - even though it is usually just a leg cramp he is bitching about! It's the same with young children, most of them are gentle around small kids and put up with far more poking than they would from an adult. They just know what to do with the young, old or sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Rottie will pee on walks but not poo. My Spitz makes up for it though, 4 poo's per walk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

At least u dont have a cheeky little bitch who poo's at the most inappropriate times on half her walks. Seriously, she waits til we're in front of a shop or a crowd of people and then goes about her business. Maybe our dogs should meet and give each other tips ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mine will pee and poo anywhere, but I know a dog who will only pee or poo on walks, never at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Our dog can take up to 20 minutes to find a spot where she wants to go to the toilet, no joke she will spend ages sniffing out a spot, nightmare to walk untill she has gone to the toilet and once she has she's grand and will walk no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

**Vai** wrote: »
    At least u dont have a cheeky little bitch who poo's at the most inappropriate times on half her walks. Seriously, she waits til we're in front of a shop or a crowd of people and then goes about her business. Maybe our dogs should meet and give each other tips ;)
    Jesus if you do meet up let me know and I'll join yis! My fella waits til theres a group, normally youngfellas, watching and then does it right on front of them. They all have a laugh at me picking it up then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

my boy only poos in our garden too! occassionaly he pees elsewhere but 90% of the time he only wees in garden too

It's good in the sense that he won't do it at an inappropiate time or place apart from when I'm eating my dinner and glance out to witness him doing it right in my direction!:o

but it's frustrating that he feels he needs to hold it in til he gets home especially if we're away for the day or something
    can't be good for him

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

One of ours likes to wait until you are in the middle of crossing a busy road, then squats down to poo. You can't budge her and when you try, she stares at you like she is saying "Can't you see that I am in the middle of something"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

DBCyc wrote: »
    One of ours likes to wait until you are in the middle of crossing a busy road, then squats down to poo. You can't budge her and when you try, she stares at you like she is saying "Can't you see that I am in the middle of something"
    Mine's the same. She won't budge and just glares at me when I try get her to move, and meanwhile traffic's backing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

DBCyc wrote: »
    that's the first post in ages to make me laugh out loud on my own heehee!
    stories like that make me glad my fella does it in garden only!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

adser53 wrote: »
    Jesus if you do meet up let me know and I'll join yis! My fella waits til theres a group, normally youngfellas, watching and then does it right on front of them. They all have a laugh at me picking it up then!

Im laughing just thinking about it :D

Advertisement