Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with scallops?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

i always find them a bit difficult to "jazz up" granted the are great simply cooked but wondering if anyone had any recipes i could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hmmm, I'd be in the camp who wouldn't really want to 'jazz up' scallops. Let them speak for themselves! But if you were looking for something, chorizo is a great addition (to anything) http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/scallopswithchorizo_86960

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

How do you cook them? I usually fry them in a 50/50 mix of butter and Martini - adds a little more kick to them than white wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Here is my favourite way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you want jazz, you need a trumpet.

Both of these recipes are delicious but need some extra equipment. The Celeriac Espuma with Ras-el-Hanout Steamed Tiger Prawns from the British Larder works brilliantly with either pan fried scallops using the same spice or steamed scallops. The recipe requires a gas powered whipper to produce the soup.

Seared scallops with cauliflower purée, cumin velouté and ras el hanout caramel is a recipe from David Everitt Mathias and is excellent. The recipe looks long, but if you can cook a scallop, cook a cauli puree, then the only fiddly bit is the foamy veloute. Use a cappucino frother - one of those aerolatte whisks to get a foam on the sauce.

wpc931baaf_0f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Try a scallop and black pudding salad. Fry scallops and fry/grill sliced black pudding. scatter onto some salad leaves. In the scallop pan (still hot) melt some butter and pour in some wine vinegar, bubble nd reduce slightly (2/3 mins) and pour over salad, very tasty!!! We do another slightly ornate version where we do "stacks" of a scallop and slice of pudding, with a thin orange slice inbetween. we make up a mandarin cream sauce (Michel Roux recipe) for these, and an orange vinaigrette for the salad. Nice impressive starter for a winter dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Scallops go really well with black pudding and apples.
    But for my money they are best when let speak for themselves.

quickly seared on each side, squeeze of lemon, pinch of salt and pepper, onto a pre-heated tray and into an oven at 180 for about 2 minutes, serve it with something simple to let the sweetness of the scallops stand out.

Advertisement