Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveyor Wage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I know lads who graduated last May. Just give you a rough idea of what they started on.

1)Dublin wage is €30k a year,top 5 contractor
    2)Galway wage is €28k a year,top 5 contractor
    3)London wage is £30k a year

This is what the 3 lads I know are getting now, they all went different routes.Sisk does a graduate program in the UK and the starting wage is £30k sterling.

These are pretty good starting points given €45k appears to be the salary on offer to most intermediate and senior surveyors in the market at present with very few positions on offer in excess of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gtrizy

I know lads who graduated last May. Just give you a rough idea of what they started on.

1)Dublin wage is €30k a year,top 5 contractor
    2)Galway wage is €28k a year,top 5 contractor
    3)London wage is £30k a year

This is what the 3 lads I know are getting now, they all went different routes.Sisk does a graduate program in the UK and the starting wage is £30k sterling.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on taxes but are those figures before or after tax? If before tax, how much will be left after the deduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

gtrizy wrote: »
    Forgive my lack of knowledge on taxes but are those figures before or after tax? If before tax, how much will be left after the deduction?

That is before tax, not sure what they would end up with after tax.

kkelliher wrote: »
    These are pretty good starting points given €45k appears to be the salary on offer to most intermediate and senior surveyors in the market at present with very few positions on offer in excess of this.
    Yes the wages for graduates is improving, at the moment there is a serious shortage of QS's studying. I have seen a few senior positions advertised for €50-€60k. The next thing that will have to improve is the rates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's down to your personal tax circumstances, but if you want a rule of thumb, you lose about 30% of gross salary in taxes.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Yes the wages for graduates is improving, at the moment there is a serious shortage of QS's studying. I have seen a few senior positions advertised for €50-€60k. The next thing that will have to improve is the rates :)

good owl advertising...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Approx €2,100 net per month !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Golf4GolfGti

Bump!

How are graduate salaries looking today for QS's? Also can anyone clarify the difference between a graduate QS role and a Junior QS role and the differences in salary expectations today. I have seen these roles advertised interchangeably and with matching job descriptions. Attending the Grads summer fair in RDS. What other industries can a graduate QS typically apply for?

Thanks in advance.

Bump!

How are graduate salaries looking today for QS's? Also can anyone clarify the difference between a graduate QS role and a Junior QS role and the differences in salary expectations today. I have seen these roles advertised interchangeably and with matching job descriptions. Attending the Grads summer fair in RDS. What other industries can a graduate QS typically apply for?

Thanks in advance.
    Its all depends on a few things, firstly from PQS's are getting paid better this year. You can expect to get between €28-30k, a contractors QS is more likely to get between €26-28k. It should probably be more than this but this is what I have being seeing the last few weeks.

Very little difference between a Graduate and Junior, a Graduate is usually someone straight out of college where as a for the first 2 year of your career you would be considered a Junior QS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

Its all depends on a few things, firstly from PQS's are getting paid better this year. You can expect to get between €28-30k, a contractors QS is more likely to get between €26-28k. It should probably be more than this but this is what I have being seeing the last few weeks.

Very little difference between a Graduate and Junior, a Graduate is usually someone straight out of college where as a for the first 2 year of your career you would be considered a Junior QS.

I would say its the exact opposite. You're far more likely to get a higher wage from a contractor than a PQS office. The Fees still arent there for PQS offices yet. There appears to be a chronic shortage of Mech, Elec surveyors and also lads with 5-10 years experience. So if you are in the bracket expect more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Just giving this tread a bump...

Whats everyone making

Grads, Junior's, anyone who gained jobs 3 years ago care to give feedback on where they are at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm considering doing the QS degree in WIT this year .

I have asked people I know related to the construction industry and I have been told that QS' are very hard to get at the mo .

Hows the wages at this time for a graduate ?

Thanks for your time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I have asked people I know related to the construction industry and I have been told that QS' are very hard to get at the mo .

Thanks for your time .

If you plan on studying something I'd be thinking far more about the course, career and long term rather than what I'll make the first year out of college. Things could be vastly different by the time you graduate so you have to ask questions about the career and if it's for you regardless of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Dudda wrote: »
    If you plan on studying something I'd be thinking far more about the course, career and long term rather than what I'll make the first year out of college. Things could be vastly different by the time you graduate so you have to ask questions about the career and if it's for you regardless of the money.

I did .
    I am asking what the wage expectations are .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gtrizy

Thanks for your time .

Average starting off about 26-28k throughout the country. 30-32k in Dublin if you're lucky.

Most QS' start off at 25k now, after a year of good work under your belt you'll jump to 30k.

Average around the country is €50k in dublin you can add €10k for senior level (8-10+ years)

I'd strongly advise anyone going down this route to look at the part time option in DIT or elsewhere. More and more clients and QS practices need QS's ready to go with the qualifications and experience. Doing a course part time gives you a lot of experience whilst also getting the qualification. It is a hard slog but its worthwhile and you will come out the other end in a far greater place than those straight out of the full time course. It also gets you in the door of a workplace today and earning as who knows what way the industry will be in 3-5 years. You could very easily come out of college in 4 years time in a recession or at least very close to the next one.

kkelliher wrote: »
    I'd strongly advise anyone going down this route to look at the part time option in DIT or elsewhere. More and more clients and QS practices need QS's ready to go with the qualifications and experience. Doing a course part time gives you a lot of experience whilst also getting the qualification. It is a hard slog but its worthwhile and you will come out the other end in a far greater place than those straight out of the full time course. It also gets you in the door of a workplace today and earning as who knows what way the industry will be in 3-5 years. You could very easily come out of college in 4 years time in a recession or at least very close to the next one.

Might I even go one further and say, get in with a Mechanical or Electrical company and then do this course. M&E QS's get much more and there are so few of us you make yourself more recession proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Qs wage seem to be rising massively in the past few months?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What is this question based on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

BryanF wrote: »
    What is this question based on?
    Apologies, I took a job a few months ago and now as i pass the 6 month stage i have noticed that others seem  to be commanding a better wage. Should an intermediate qs with 8 years experience be earning around 50k?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

(Caveat: I’m not an accountant)

50k / 1900hrs (48weeks) : ~ €26/hr before tax

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/tax-relief-charts/index.aspx

~34k @ 20% = ~27k net
    ~34k- 50k = ~16k @ 40% = ~8k net + ~27k net = ~35k net (excluding USC, personal tax deviations etc)

35k / 52 weeks = ~ €670 net per week or ~€17 per hour after tax

If you want more leave the office and go on a big site.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Bumping this thread, rather than start a new one as here's a good record of going rates over the past few years.

What are the Grad wages and bonus now in the different sectors, Civils, Residential, PQS, Contractor?

What are the rates for chartered surveyors?

Advertisement