Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance, The Netherlands

Options
  • 02-11-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Im considering moving to Eindhoven in the new year and am a bit confused by the whole health insurance issue over there. I know that each person wishing to work there must be insured, I have VHI, will that suffice? If not can anyone tell me some reasonable insurers? Also is it true that the insurance prices are due to rise to double the current price soon or is that just a rumour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

I think you will find regular VHI will not cover you. I'm working in North Africa and have a VHI Global Cover policy (it excludes USA and Canada). I think it's around double the cost of a regular VHI policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

happypants wrote: »
    Im considering moving to Eindhoven in the new year and am a bit confused by the whole health insurance issue over there. I know that each person wishing to work there must be insured, I have VHI, will that suffice? If not can anyone tell me some reasonable insurers? Also is it true that the insurance prices are due to rise to double the current price soon or is that just a rumour?

Your VHI will do you for around 6 months. (185 days)

Make sure you keep a record of this to give to your Dutch Insurance once you start a policy, otherwise they'll backdate it to when you started working.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

The possible danger with trying to make a claim on your regular VHI cover if you are overseas is that in the event of you needing a medical evacuation, for example, you may find you are not covered. This may be something best discussed with VHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Contact the VHI about it - I found them very helpful, and they advised a global policy. The value in this is that you'll be covered internationally, so if you feel that the Netherlands isn't working out for you anymore you can pack your bags and leave, and still have your insurance policy. Having said that, if you are sure you'll be in the netherlands long-term it might be cheaper (depending on your personal situation) to get cover from a dutch company. When I researched it I think it would have worked out at about €100 per month, but you know you'll be very well looked after. There's a good website that searches for health insurance called independer: http://www.independer.nl/zorgverzekering/intro.aspx

Although you'll need a dutch speaker to negotiate it - you'll find that most information isn't readily available in English.

Advertisement