Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Clonmel have nice places to hang out and read your book in peace?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Are there any places(cafes, bars) that you can wander in have your tea/coffee/ drink and read your book or maybe use your laptop without rushing. I'm not looking to hold a table while others are waiting but I've kinda grown accustom to Starbucks type places where can lounge around and read for an hour while nursing you coffee and bun. Any ideas or experiences? Is this kind of thing acceptable or not these days? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

Hi, i lived in Clonmel for a couple of years and i loved it there out of all the places in Tipperary, i'm from Thurles myself but there's a nice cafe i'm sure you know of. Where the mc donalds is well just around the corner there, down a bit of a shopping mall there's a cool big cafe on the left. Can stay as long as you like with tea and the apple crumble with custard and cream is delicious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah I know it, never been inside though. Now I'm of an age that I'm gonna enjoy my free time a bit more, no stress! (p.s. I'm 30:eek:)

Oh ya i just remembered there's another place called MAYFAIR oh my god the fish and chips are yummy and the fattening breakfast mm. You can be there for as long as ya want really. That's down past the cop shop, fa^s place on the right and then straight ahead it is and next door to it is a very expensive clothes shop that should be closed down and reasonable one put in it's place.
    Ps you are young at the age of 30 They say life only starts to really kick off at 40 :0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I wouldn't go to Mayfair to relax and read a book, actually you'll probably be stabbed for reading a book there.

I'd recommend the Honey Pot cafe, not sure if it's still there, it's actually not far from Mayfair, down the pedestrian street and turn left, it's just before the church.

Also, there's a nice cafe by Superquinn, not sure what it's called but it's a pretty tall old building that used to be a showhouse for old classic cars.

How about one of the pubs? I'm sure there are many comfy ones in town that are pretty quiet during the day. Tierneys for example.

Hickeys cafe by the Westgate have good cappychinos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

0verblood wrote: »
    I wouldn't go to Mayfair to relax and read a book, actually you'll probably be stabbed for reading a book there.

I'd recommend the Honey Pot cafe, not sure if it's still there, it's actually not far from Mayfair, down the pedestrian street and turn left, it's just before the church.
    Honey pot ufortunatly closed down sum years ago :(
    Also, there's a nice cafe by Superquinn, not sure what it's called but it's a pretty tall old building that used to be a showhouse for old classic cars.
    Chapmans. They go around and refill your coffee and all :D Great place!
    How about one of the pubs? I'm sure there are many comfy ones in town that are pretty quiet during the day. Tierneys for example.
    Tierneys has gone awful lately woyld recommend there now.

Hickeys cafe by the Westgate have good cappychinos.

Theres a new place in irishtown its gorg and comfortable :) Or bbs in the showgrounds :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The Common Thread

Go there if you don't want to be bothered and give a donation towards the free tea/coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hey, OP here,

yeah, i know the mayfair and it sure wasn't the first place I thought of going on old memories, Mick lavins - the car museum place by Superquinn should be nice if still there. I have been away for almost three years and am looking forward to rediscovering clonmel again. THree years ago I had zero interest in hanging out in a cafe so i know alot of the suggested places but have never stepped inside there doors. And yeah, is Tierneys still open?? I thought that was dying a death when I left, was just kind of waiting to close at that time. I did have some nice meals in there from time to time. Thanks all!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey, OP here,

yeah, i know the mayfair and it sure wasn't the first place I thought of going on old memories, Mick lavins - the car museum place by Superquinn should be nice if still there. I have been away for almost three years and am looking forward to rediscovering clonmel again. THree years ago I had zero interest in hanging out in a cafe so i know alot of the suggested places but have never stepped inside there doors. And yeah, is Tierneys still open?? I thought that was dying a death when I left, was just kind of waiting to close at that time. I did have some nice meals in there from time to time. Thanks all!

Mick Lavins is still there, but its called Chapmans now and much more busier and noiser than its ever been!!

Tierneys is still there and still dying a death, the food there is still nice but a bit overpriced for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Dubchild wrote: »
    Hi, i lived in Clonmel for a couple of years and i loved it there out of all the places in Tipperary, i'm from Thurles myself but there's a nice cafe i'm sure you know of. Where the mc donalds is well just around the corner there, down a bit of a shopping mall there's a cool big cafe on the left. Can stay as long as you like with tea and the apple crumble with custard and cream is delicious :pac:

That's an auld wans cafe by the way, it's wall to wall crusty minge. If they see you reading a book in there they'd probably thing you're from France or something.

0verblood wrote: »
    That's an auld wans cafe by the way, it's wall to wall crusty minge. If they see you reading a book in there they'd probably thing you're from France or something.

Rubbish it's just a nice big cafe and they're friendly young staff. A good place for tea and cake and toasted sambos and dinners if you like, I'm young and see loads like me there and a few oldies and kids but there in every cafe and don't bother anyone. It's big and you could sit back away from the old ones, are you worried they'll cough up their teeth on you :D
    Tierneys is dark the lights are low last time i was there so maybe you could read? Very nice pub/restaurant tho. They do lovely food.

Irish town that's where i lived, ur not in the town but so close to it, perfect spot. Nice cafe straight across from the veg shop.

• Advertisement

Rubbish it's just a nice big cafe and they're friendly young staff. A good place for tea and cake and toasted sambos and dinners if you like, I'm young and see loads like me there and a few oldies and kids but there in every cafe and don't bother anyone. It's big and you could sit back away from the old ones, are you worried they'll cough up their teeth on you :D
    Tierneys is dark the lights are low last time i was there so maybe you could read? Very nice pub/restaurant tho. They do lovely food.

Irish town that's where i lived, ur not in the town but so close to it, perfect spot. Nice cafe straight across from the veg shop.

Serious the place in marystone (dreadful) And tierney is dying a death only underagers in there now !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

xkariex wrote: »
    And tierney is dying a death only underagers in there now !

I remember people saying the same thing in 1992 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Coyles Cafe?

StereoLove wrote: »
    Coyles Cafe?

Yeah thats the one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bodgix

In response to xkariex comment about 'if you read a book in The Mayfair Cafe you could be stabbed,' is a silly thing to say. Making comments about cafes, restaurants and businesses is not only silly but irresponsible. Look around Clonmel and other towns in Ireland and see how many businesses have closed down and think about how you promote local businesses. Do you base your ideas on just one visit or one bad experience or on many? Did you make a complaint to the business owner about your experience?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Wo. Way to register a new account just to dig up a 2 year old thread

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bodgix wrote: »
    In response to xkariex comment about 'if you read a book in The Mayfair Cafe you could be stabbed,' is a silly thing to say. Making comments about cafes, restaurants and businesses is not only silly but irresponsible. Look around Clonmel and other towns in Ireland and see how many businesses have closed down and think about how you promote local businesses. Do you base your ideas on just one visit or one bad experience or on many? Did you make a complaint to the business owner about your experience?:mad:

Please don't drag up old threads like this. Familiarise yourself with the Forum Charter before posting again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement