Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of gear would i need?

• 02-11-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

hi all, this is my 1st time posting in this section, just wondering if i could get some opinions please. i'm going to be buying a new pc just after christmas and was wondering what i would need to connect it to the wireless bb in my house? some kind of wireless reciever or something i think, and was also wondering what kind of wireless keyboard and mouse you would recommend? obviously good quality equipment, with an estimated price tag if possible.
    anyway thanks for any help in advance, appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Will you be buying a laptop or desktop pc, and what will you be using it for?

Pretty much all laptops/notebooks have an in-built wireless adapter, but most desktops do not, unless you but them included. You can buy a wireless adapter for a desktop, which looks like a USB memory stick and plugs into the USB port.

If you will be playing games which require a lot of graphics processing, then you will need a good graphics card.

If you will be playing / recording CDs / DVDs then you will need a CD/DVD drive (most notebooks have none).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

dilallio wrote: »
    Will you be buying a laptop or desktop pc, and what will you be using it for?

Pretty much all laptops/notebooks have an in-built wireless adapter, but most desktops do not, unless you but them included. You can buy a wireless adapter for a desktop, which looks like a USB memory stick and plugs into the USB port.

If you will be playing games which require a lot of graphics processing, then you will need a good graphics card.

If you will be playing / recording CDs / DVDs then you will need a CD/DVD drive (most notebooks have none).

hi mate, thanks for the quick response. its a desktop im looking at buying. are those adapters dear, and what kind of range do they have? also what kind of wireless keyboard and mouse would you recommend? im not the best technically meself, so wouldn't have a clue what makes or spec to buy.

sorry forgot to add, i'll be using it for music production programmes such as fl studio and ableton, and also dj software like traktor or serato. as well as music, films and might play the odd game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You can see a selection here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+adapter&sprefix=wireless+adapter

The range varies - I've found that if you have brick walls or solid floors between the wireless router and adapter, it can effect the signal. Just bring someone's laptop into the room and see what the signal quality is. They are 10 - 20 pounds sterling. You can get them in PC World / Currys but they charge an arm & leg for them.

I'm no expert when it comes to recommending a Wireless Mouse & Keyboard - perhaps someone else here can suggest.

If you go into a shop which sells games, and see one which you would like, look at the back of the box and see what the graphics requirements are - make sure your PC has at least this. Again, I'm not a gamer, so please, if anyone else has suggestions, please let us know.

If you will be using it for Music production, at some stage you may wish to connect a MIDI keyboard or other sound equipment. Make sure that you have enough USB ports to connect to. You can always buy a MIDI card and insert into the PC, but you can also get ones which connect via USB. You will need a USB for Keyboard, Mouse, Wireless Adapter, possibly a MIDI keyboard, and possibly a printer. Again, you can always buy a USB extender, but you are better off having them on the PC to begin with.

thanks for the help mate, appreciate it. i'll have a browse on line now at a few diff pc's and keyboards and see what i can make out of it.
    cheers, es :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement