Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike- any suggestions?

• 02-11-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

So I passed my test last week and think I might celebrate by upgrading from my 125. I'm open to any kind of bike, no preference for any style. Mostly used for my short commute but the occasional longer trip (Sligo-Galway).

I have 3 years no claims. I'm only 20 though so that probably rules some bikes out. Any recomendations? 3-4k budget inc. insurance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

SV650, because they sound awesome and are great fun in the twisties.

Yes I'm biased :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

KamiKazi wrote: »
    SV650, because they sound awesome and are great fun in the twisties.

Yes I'm biased :D
    Yeah its being seriously considered. Still not sure if it'll come in on budget with insurance costing what it does at my age but I'll keep an eye out for a bargain.

I'll admit to jealously admiring the pics of your one:) Lovely machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TBH, i'd look at any 600cc/650cc outside of a sports model. Only because the insurance on the sports will be insane. So Hornets, Er6's, Bandits, SV650's etc. There are tons out there, with different styling.

I'm currently without a phone, any rough estimates on insurance costs? I'll ring around in the next few days when I can anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I'm currently without a phone, any rough estimates on insurance costs? I'll ring around in the next few days when I can anyways.

Too many variables and random numbers to guess. Quinn's website will give you a rough price.

• Advertisement

You'll get a nice curvy SV for €2k no problem.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Too many variables and random numbers to guess. Quinn's website will give you a rough price.
    Nah tried the website but they can't give me an online quote for anything much bigger than what I'm on. I'll have to wait a few days and see I suppose.

SV stays top of the list for now...if I can insure one:rolleyes:.

Full or provisional license?

Full.

Full.

No idea why they won't quote you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You'll get a nice curvy SV for €2k no problem.

Or go for a nicer pointy! For not a whole lot more

:P

Mystery solved. Quinn won't insure me on an SV650 until I'm 21. So I guess I have some time to save some money. Won't bother upgrading to a 250 in the meantime.

Mystery solved. Quinn won't insure me on an SV650 until I'm 21. So I guess I have some time to save some money. Won't bother upgrading to a 250 in the meantime.

They can't discriminate on age. If you get letters of refusal from Quinn, Aon & Carole Nash the ombudsman will force Quinn to insure you.

It won't be cheap though...

They can't discriminate on age. If you get letters of refusal from Quinn, Aon & Carole Nash the ombudsman will force Quinn to insure you.

It won't be cheap though...
    Yeah I'm aware of that but they'd be able to quote me whatever they like. Next year it should only be around €300. I'll just wait it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

From experience with Quinn you'll notice a massive decrease in your insurance once you turn 21. My (then moped insurance) went from €750 being 20 to around €300 when I turned 21. Now insured on a Hornet 250 for €340 waiting for my restriction to end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

just got a cbr 250 there myself few weeks ago.

if i was you i would go for a hornet 650.

or an xt660

personally im gonna either egt a hornet or a supermoto when i pass my test.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    From experience with Quinn you'll notice a massive decrease in your insurance once you turn 21. My (then moped insurance) went from €750 being 20 to around €300 when I turned 21. Now insured on a Hornet 250 for €340 waiting for my restriction to end!
    I'd say that was more down to your no claims bonus. I payed 300ish this year on the 125.

Advertisement