Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up AIB online banking

Options
  • 02-11-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys, just registered.

I applied for a student savings account on the 22nd of October.
    I still haven't received my laser card (debit card)
    I rang my bank AIB today, and they told me that they have "forgotten to send it."

I was a little angry, but people make mistakes.

I registered for "AIB online banking" about a week ago. (So I can check my account online)
    I have received two transactions from Paypal. I need these to link my Paypal with my bank account. I stilll haven't received my PIN (to register for online banking)
    I ring AIB today (AGAIN) and they tell me that I haven't registered?

My details were perfect.

I'm angry now.

They transfer my call to another guy, who can register me through the phone.
    He asks me questions for about 10 minutes. Then he asks me for my debit card number. Now I'm livid!
    I don't have the card, you forgot to send it. You ****ing idiots.

He tells me I can't register without it. I hang up.

I then find out that Laser cards won't even work with paypal!
    All my time + effort is gone down the drain.

This is my first account, ever, and I'm considering using another Bank now.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Go to another bank. simples

I'm with Ulster bank, very good so far have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GetScraped

RedXIV wrote: »
    Go to another bank. simples

I'm with Ulster bank, very good so far have to say

Do you use paypal, with your bank account?
    What card do you get?

I'm only 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread re-named and moved to Banking forum.

Paypal don't accept Laser, nor can you use your bank account to fund payments. Neither of these are AIB's fault, you mustn't have read the Paypal terms. Linking your bank account to Paypal is for withdrawing money, not for funding.

There's a Paypal FAQ in the OB&A forum which will answer most Paypal questions.

A Visa debit card is a better debit card than Laser, as it can be used anywhere that Vida credit cards are accepted (much better for online use). Ulster Bank issue Visa debit cards, though I'm not sure you'll get one on a student account, especially a savings account, or whether you can get one when you're only 17. I'd be very surprised if you could even get a Laser card, and I think it's unlikely that AIB were ever going to issue you with one on a savings account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GetScraped

jor el wrote: »
    Thread re-named and moved to Banking forum.

Paypal don't accept Laser, nor can you use your bank account to fund payments. Neither of these are AIB's fault, you mustn't have read the Paypal terms. Linking your bank account to Paypal is for withdrawing money, not for funding.

There's a Paypal FAQ in the OB&A forum which will answer most Paypal questions.

A Visa debit card is a better debit card than Laser, as it can be used anywhere that Vida credit cards are accepted (much better for online use). Ulster Bank issue Visa debit cards, though I'm not sure you'll get one on a student account, especially a savings account, or whether you can get one when you're only 17. I'd be very surprised if you could even get a Laser card, and I think it's unlikely that AIB were ever going to issue you with one on a savings account.

I will be making money online, I know I can't fund my Paypal with my bank account.
    I did read the terms, don't jump to conclusions.

AIB are giving me a Laser Card, fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

GetScraped wrote: »
    AIB are giving me a Laser Card, fact.

Not on a savings account they won't. If you are opening a current account, then they can (not guaranteed) issue debit cards to those aged over 16 without parental consent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement