Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braodband in Frankfield

Options
  • 02-11-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Just moved to Parkgate. I had UPC in my previous house which I was happy out with, but despite being no more than a mile from my old place, UPC don't offer broadband in parkgate :(:(

I want to get broadband now, I have no need for a phoneline so I think it's a waste to pay an extra 25 euro a month for the rental.
    I'd like to be able to use xbox live too so not sure if any of the wireless providers are an option.
    I can't really see a way around it without the line rental though if I want to play xbox live and have any sort of decent connection!
    Anyone here from Parkgate or somewhere else in Frankfield with a decent broadband connection?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

babo9 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Just moved to Parkgate. I had UPC in my previous house which I was happy out with, but despite being no more than a mile from my old place, UPC don't offer broadband in parkgate :(:(

I want to get broadband now, I have no need for a phoneline so I think it's a waste to pay an extra 25 euro a month for the rental.
    I'd like to be able to use xbox live too so not sure if any of the wireless providers are an option.
    I can't really see a way around it without the line rental though if I want to play xbox live and have any sort of decent connection!
    Anyone here from Parkgate or somewhere else in Frankfield with a decent broadband connection?!

Just found out UPC cater for east avenue in parkgate but not west avenue...I could nearly pick up someones signal from east avenue ffs! And they also cater for 7 oaks which is on the other side of west avenue... what's up with that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

babo9 wrote: »
    Just found out UPC cater for east avenue in parkgate but not west avenue...I could nearly pick up someones signal from east avenue ffs! And they also cater for 7 oaks which is on the other side of west avenue... what's up with that :mad:

Its the same in Grange. A house 3 doors down from us can get it but we cant. Apparently the cable is cut and UPC wont EVER be fixing it.

Such a balls

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its the same in Grange. A house 3 doors down from us can get it but we cant. Apparently the cable is cut and UPC wont EVER be fixing it.

Such a balls

3 doors? Man that is a balls, you could actually pick up their broadband from your house with the right router! The first router I ever bought broadcasted 7 houses away :p

Looking around it looks like Magnet are my best bet, if they provide it. Waiting on a call back. Expensive though...bloody line rental :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

Sorry to drag up an old thread but what broadband provider did you select & what is the performance & cost?

Went for Eircom 7 meg. Can only get 4 meg tops on our line though.
    It's ok, not great, don't actually use it as much as I though I would tbh so probably haven't noticed the crappiness of it :)

Only reason I went with Eircom is because it was half price for first 6 months, somewhere about 30 euro p.m. for 7mb broadband unlimited + free local/national calls for first 6 months. 60 euro after that.

Of course, not surprisingly, they messed up the offer and charged me full price, after a bit of back and forth they credited my account with the m oney I would have saved over 6 months!

• Advertisement

By the way, for some reason Parkgate doesn't pickup any of the wireless providers either!
    Maybe they do now, but not back then.

It was basically DSL or nothing so it was a choice of esat/eircom/Magnet DSL...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

Thanks for that, I contacted Eircom, The local exchange is "Next Generation" enabled, so that is not too bad, 6 months at half price too.

Why UPC can't publish coverage maps in Cork is beyond me, they must be embarrassed of the network.

Advertisement