Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London To Work In Construction

Options
  • 02-11-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, so i was told last night that i may have a friend that can get me work in London working as a plumber,but i dont even know where to start about moving over..

should i bring my car?? i was thinking public transport might be a nuisance trying to get to building sites..
    maybe a silly question but would i bring over all my tools or buy new ones over there,i know this would be expensive but i dont know how i would fly over with a heavy toolbox and all my clothes etc..
    i have to get a pps number before i can work?
    i need a english safepass??

any others details would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

If you are bringing your car, it will be much easier to bring the tools so I would bring the car over at least then you would have transport too.. New tools would be an unnecessary expense since you already have them..

I would think you would need an English PPS number..

AFAIK, the Irish SafePass is not of much use over there, but you can do a similar day long Safe Pass equivalent over there as one of my mates done this..

I'm thinking of heading over myself soon so I would also appreciate any more input from anyone else :D

And best of luck with your new job OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Wouldn't recommend bringing your car if your going to be near central london, it can be a big big nightmare trying to get somewhere to park. Also depends where you going to be staying, a lot of places near and around the city wont have parking or you would need to get a parking permit from the council. Also if your going to be working around central quiet a lot of sites will not have parking.

You wont have a hope of getting a job on a site until you get yourself a cscs card, (uk version of safepass)
    You will also need your full set of PPE, boots, vis jacket ect. Very strict on H&S

Your going to need a Nation Insurance Number (uk pps)
    Depending on if your going to be self employed you will also need a UTR (Unique Tax Reference) number

You will need to open a UK bank A/C when you get there aswell. Can be a nightmare for some. I found it handy enough with Barclays anyway, if you bring a bank statement less that 3 months old they will take that as your proof of address.

Advertisement