Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing UPC Cisco Router

• 02-11-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭

Really had enough with this piece of rubbish. Had no end of problems with it connecting/dropping/failing to connect to my Xbox 360 and PS3 while being fine with the laptops in the house.

If I want to replace the Cisco WiFi modem is it as simply as disconnecting it and plugging a new one in? Also are there any specific replacement people would recommend. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Get yourself a good router (I have a Linksys wrt610n) and just use the UPC router in bridge/gateway mode. There threads on this forum on how to do this. You need to go into the UPC router settings etc... Thats what I did the last year and have not looked back since. Could have up to 8 wireless connections to the Linksys router (plus two wired) and I have never any problems.;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

You can't swap in a router to replace it. As Mister Gooey said get yourself a router and stick the Cisco into bridge mode. I myself have had a lot of issues with the Cisco and I believe I'll be getting a replacement or one of the SA modems as I already have a decent router.

If you want to use wireless I'd advise you to ensure you get a router that can do 5.xGhz 802.11n. There's a lot of routers in housing estates using 2.4ghz regular wifi and you won't get 30Meg out of your UPC (if it is 30meg) unless you find a free channel.

An app called inSSIDer (download off the web) can tell you what channels are highly used. Pick one that's not used that much or like I said above get a 5.xGhz wireless N router. Your clients need to support 5.xGhz wireless n aswell, most smart phones don't. :/

FYI there's a few that have dual radios that can do 5.x and 2.x ghz, these are pretty good so keep an eye on the specs.

HTH,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've just been through this myself. I had UPC replace the Cisco modem with a Scientific Atlanta 2203 non wi-fi modem and bought an Apple Airport Extreme for €159. I now have reliable 30mb over wifi. Here's my thread, if you're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056068450

Advertisement