Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old abandonded building near the Sugar Loaf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭.243

2.8trooper wrote: »
    soon there will be nothing old left in ireland what harms it doing and it does attract people taking pictures one day it may have been a little tea rooms or something dont the fortunes of roundwood own this now?
    they've always owned it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 aidodo

What was the Ad for?

I think it was for Coke. I remember buying half penny sweets in this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

There's been a clean up happening at this site over the past few days. Looks like there has been an agreement between the owners and the council to tidy up and make safe the site rather than knock the old petrol station. Looks much better already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Rinker wrote: »
    There's been a clean up happening at this site over the past few days. Looks like there has been an agreement between the owners and the council to tidy up and make safe the site rather than knock the old petrol station. Looks much better already.
    Great news - Thanks for that

its a bit two faced from the council ordering a demolition on that site but yet they want to store their loose chippings there for the roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

It was used in an ad for 2FM in the 80s. They converted into a garage and a guy was fixing a car, and knocked over a can of coke or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

It was used in an ad for 2FM in the 80s. They converted into a garage and a guy was fixing a car, and knocked over a can of coke or something along those lines.

I remember that ad as well. I think the music was "Night Shift"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Muller_1 wrote: »
    I remember that ad as well. I think the music was "Night Shift"

Any chance that it's on You Tube? I've looked but without luck.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I drive by this building at least twice everyday and have seen countless photographers taking pictures of it. There was a photo of it with the Sugarloaf in the background on the rte weather for a while last year. I recently saw a guy in underwear standing in the window of the building while being snapped by a photo crew. It obviously has aesthetic appeal to a large number of people.

No luck, I passed there once and it was all female models being photographed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Had a look at planning today for this site, and planning was granted back in 07 for tea room / coffee shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bearh72

as far as i know they were knocking that building down last week

bearh72 wrote: »
    as far as i know they were knocking that building down last week

Nope. They've taken the roof off but the rest of the building is still standing as of 9.30 this morning. This is probably to make it safe. The rest of the site has been given a good clean up.

I heard the roof is being repaired, so if this is the case, the roof removal is probably to faciliate the new roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bearh72

ah thats good, it would have been a shame to see it go

they are putting a new roof and windows into it,appenently it is now a preserved bulding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

all the trees along the front have been chopped down now :(

all the trees along the front have been chopped down now :(

I was so glad to see these leylandii trees removed. They were totally out of place in this landscape. They were a like a crappy piece of suburbia plonked into a natural beauty spot. If only they'd remove the ones at the back of the site now. We have such beautiful native trees in this country which would really improve the scenic beauty of the area rather than detract from it. Hopefully some replanting will occur.:)

I'm not, the trees were the only thing on that site worth keeping.

That a crappy old shack like that can be considered a preserved building baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

That a crappy old shack like that can be considered a preserved building baffles me.

I agree completely. The building serves no purpose anymore, and there are plenty of the same design around the country which are better maintained. Country should get it's act together and stop wasting it's money on such derelict sites and invest in healthcare or infrastructure instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You've no soul man! :D

• Advertisement

You've no soul man! :D

My soul belongs to nature...

or some such poetic rubbish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree completely. The building serves no purpose anymore, and there are plenty of the same design around the country which are better maintained. Country should get it's act together and stop wasting it's money on such derelict sites and invest in healthcare or infrastructure instead.
    Hang on a minute ... does anyone actually know who is doing the place up, and what they're going to do with it? It might not necessarily be Wicklow CC, could be a private enterprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought it was up to the owner to maintain preserved (and derelict) buildings? Doubt it's the council. I don't share the hate of thick foilage Cypress type conifers either though.

Noticed the roof trusses were up this morning btw.

Alun wrote: »
    Hang on a minute ... does anyone actually know who is doing the place up, and what they're going to do with it? It might not necessarily be Wicklow CC, could be a private enterprise.
    Indeed, see quotes below from earlier in this thread.
    2.8trooper wrote: »
    ... dont the fortunes of roundwood own this now?
    .243 wrote: »
    they've always owned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Found this ... http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=07790&LASiteID=0

It's from 2007, but seems still to be valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I tell you Boards is the repository of all knowledge. Everytime I passed I wondered what it was. I guessed it was a derelict bus shelter or something and the parking area was for coaches in the days when few people had cars.

Glad to see it preserved, it somehow fits with the landscape.

hmmm... well I hope it's successful, can't help thinking though an active business there may persuade the council to put in lights on that junction or something stupid like that :pac: you know, to protect all those walkers from the sugarloaf and what not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tonyon

Have passed by this spot recently and it appears the building is being refurbished and have noticed camper van/vans parked in the field opposite as you swing around the corner heading to Sugarloaf on your right hand side. Be careful on the Roundwood road as it is such a tranquil and beautiful area but the speed of the traffic is just crazy. It is deceptively lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silvermountain

i own calary filling station now and my dad owned it in the 80s we are currently restoring it to its original form and we hope to be serving cofee tea and scones very soon i look forward to your support and hope to be able to grow into something very special
    :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

Good to see you will soon be back in business. I remember it was the only place for a lemonade and an icecream in the area when out cycling on an old bike back in the day.
    However in these days of lattes and green tea we need a bit more than the old shop on top of the Long Hill. If you get the business model right people will come from miles around. All the best with it.

Advertisement