Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German shepard breeders

Options
  • 02-11-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there ,
    I have been looking to get a German shepherd pup for some time and have contacted all the Irish organizations I can find ( mostly working GS sites I have to say ) about finding a breeder who breeds a dog/bitch as a pet as opposed to a working dog but unfortunately I have heard nothing back from anyone of them ! .

yes I have had GS before and yes have an area large enough and time enough :)

so here is what I’m after .

A German shepherd who’s prey drive isn’t through the roof .
    breed with temperament in mind .
    Breed from dogs who are well cared for and not over breed
    willing to show the above ( e.g. will allow visit to see site)
    We are after a pet and a companion .

so while I can see advertising is not allowed here if anyone has info on such a breeder please do let me know (PM) or if the mods are ok with it let me know this way .

btw the munster area would be nice

Thanks all
    Dar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

????

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Darragh77

FatherLen wrote: »
    ????

Not sure what you cant follow, rather easy question I would have thought ! .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

sorry your text is in black so i couldnt read it! i hope its not just me but all i can see is a smiley face unless i highlight the text ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I assume you have contacted the breed club? The good breeders will almost definately have waiting lists for their pups.

They also come up in shelters for rehoming from time to time, if this route would appeal to you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Darragh77 wrote: »
    A German shepherd who’s prey drive isn’t through the roof .
    breed with temperament in mind .
    Breed from dogs who are well cared for and not over breed
    willing to show the above ( e.g. will allow visit to see site)
    We are after a pet and a companion .

Quick question - can you tell from their breeding if they will be likely to have a high prey drive or is it something you can judge in a pup if you know what you are looking for?

Best of luck in your search OP.

• Advertisement

Hi guys/gals

adrenalinjunkie : yep Im in no great hurry and while I always do support rehoming , I dont think I would like the unknown aspect with a GS Im afriad ... sure look at our cat ... he is friggen mental but least he just destroys our sofas :) ..

Whispered : tends to be breed in to the animal , eg most working GS have a high prey drive and in a home where there are other animals that can sometimes lead to problems ( running cat = prey) , ideal for working dogs not so much for a pet .

btw this is all from having them years back and from constant reading : )

Dar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

+1 for rescue.

There are actually alot of shepherds in rescue, all ages. I can pm you details of a lady who is involved in shepherd rescue if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

adrenalinjunkie : yep Im in no great hurry and while I always do support rehoming , I dont think I would like the unknown aspect with a GS Im afriad ... sure look at our cat ... he is friggen mental but least he just destroys our sofas :) ..

Sorry, you and I posted at the same time so didnt see this about not wanting to go down the rescue route

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I know exactly what you mean about prey drive. I got one of them. Hard to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

OP I attend a vet in munster who loves GSD's. My dogs are putty in his hands every time we go and he told me recently that he is on the look out for another one himself but is finding it very difficult to find one that has healthy parents.

He said none of the dogs that come to him regularly for shots etc are without either skin problems, digestive problems or hip/joint problems. He reckons many of the the breed in Ireland are riddled with health issues.
    My point being I suppose choose carefully, maybe ask your local vet if he sees any good dogs as his clients?

Funnily enough as I am writing this I am thinking the one we got from rescue has his issues but is far healthier than the one that was "well bred".:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Have you tried here:
    http://www.wendenkennels.com/breeding.htm

Nice place, my Dad once used one of their studs.
    I know you are not looking for a drivey type dog but not all pups from working bloodlines will have high drive, in most litters there are some 'pet quality' pups. Personally I favour working as well as confirmation bloodlines if I'm buying a working breed but that's just me, I like the mix :)

Thanks for the replies all , I shall certainly check out the breeder mentioned ( if you have any personal exp please do let me know )
    Thanks
    Dar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Thanks for the replies all , I shall certainly check out the breeder mentioned ( if you have any personal exp please do let me know )
    Thanks
    Dar
    first try a show breeder ,if no look you would be better picking a dog up from the UK

Advertisement