Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospice Could Close

• 02-11-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

If i was asked before today which medical service would never close due to cut backs, i would have said the Hospice. But it was announced today that the HSE have cut funding (it would seem completely) for this service. A service that has been a blessing to a huge amount of families from the NW.

Although i have never been to the hospice, my own father passed very quickly in the end, but did receive visits from the hospice nurse during his last week. There will be huge protest which i would urge everyone to attend and support. I cannot see this service ending, any event held of the Hospice has always attracted huge support in the past, and i just cant see Donegal people letting it get closed.

The future of the Donegal Hospice is in doubt after the HSE announced it is cutting the facility’s funding

Consultant Donal Martin says the hospice will not be able to accept any new patients from December 21st, and operations will be scaled down until all remaining patients have left.

Dr Martin says the HSE is not prepared to fund adequate medical coverage for the hospice, and he cannot safely maintain the service without a full staff of doctors.

He says there’s been a number of cutbacks in recent years, and this is now the straw that broke the camel’s back………..

highlandradio - hospice-could-close-over-funding-row/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why does the hospice need 3 doctors and a full time consultant, when there is a large hospital and NOWDoC near by?

On one hand people want efficiencies from the HSE...yet any changes are meet with protest. How are they supposed to win?

Look at the Foyle Hospice, it receives just 20% funding from the NHS and no word of it closing down.

Yes people in the Hospice are gravely ill, and deserve the very best nursing care...not a mini-acute hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Seems like a bit of posturing over money. I don't think he has the power to close it he is only an employee (although a very important one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

salonfire wrote: »
    Yes people in the Hospice are gravely ill, and deserve the very best nursing care...not a mini-acute hospital

Succinct and accurate.

Advertisement