Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Wireless problem?

• 02-11-2010 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have an Eircom silver Netopia 2247nwg Modem. Last night after much efforts I eventually managed to get my xbox live working through it which entailed having to open some ports and turn the firewall from Medium to Low.

However now for some bizarre reason the Wireless has stopped working? :confused: I restarted it a few times and turned the Firewall back to Medium but I am getting Wireless Down, and it is not broadcasting at all as it is missing when I check on the laptop.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have stumbled across something big here and perhaps rather dangerous.

So get this right - I had an older Netopia which stopped syncing the DSL about three weeks ago. I presumed the Modem was faulty and subsequently bought another 2nd hand one from Adverts.

Both modems are identical with identical power supplys. I plugged my newly bought Modem into my 6 way powerstrip alongside my Cordless Telephone (Eircom Sagem make) power supply.

Anyway I done some googling about I found this thread here about others having similar problems. I tried my old power supply from my older "faulty" modem and still no joy, I then tried a DC adapter set to 12V and the wireless is working fine and so is my old modem which I presumed broken and it syncs perfectly now, as the power supply went faulty in both modems they were both not getting enough power to sync or broadcast wirelessly.

However my matter of concern is that when both power supplys were plugged in alongside my cordless telephone power supply they both developed an external crack on the casing presumably from the heat generated by having two adapters side by side. They both cracked almost identically and this could have been a fire hazard.

There must be a quarter million or more of these Modems in houses around Ireland potentially waiting to blow and potentially cause a fire. These were the same Modem that broadcast the WEP Key as part of the SSID making thousands of Wireless connections easily hackable.

Advertisement