Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help my dog (surgery)

• 02-11-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, im new to this forum and i hope someone will help me..
    my dog got hit by a car few days ago. a surgery on her hip is needed and it will cost about 600/700 euro. i lost my job few months ago and i can not afford this surgery.
    does anyone any vet clinic in dublin that is free or something that can pay off half of the money or something like that because the surgery has to be done and i just cant afford it..
    did anyone have a similar situation?
    please help me and my dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe speak to a local rescue and see if they might be able to give you a hand. Obviously they're not in the habit of performing free operations, but they might be able to sort out something for you, for the sake of the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 malva

thanks, i know it wont be free but i just need some kinda help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi Malva,

Sorry to hear about your dog. You could try contacting The Blue Cross?

"Referrals of sick pets for life-saving operations
    Due to the opening of our new small-animal clinic at Inchicore, we are taking many of our mobile clinic referred cases in-house. The new small-animal clinic is proving hugely popular amongst qualifying needy pet owners who take their pets to us for low-cost surgeries, X-rays, dentals and other procedures. However, because of the unwavering demand for low-cost veterinary services, we still operate our external referred cases scheme run in co-operation with private veterinary practices"

http://www.bluecross.ie/welfare_schemes.html

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The Blue Cross I think have schemes to help out those who are unemployed, prehaps give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Have you asked your vet would he take payment in instulments. I know a few vets are doing ths now as they know times are hard. If they dont maybe ring around and trying and find a vet that does. Good luck and let us know how the poor doggie is doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Hi,

You should contact the Blue Cross, they provide a reduced cost veterinary service in Dublin. I don't know what kind of surgeries they are equipped to carry out but it can't do any harm to give them a ring anyway - maybe they can subsidise the cost of the surgery at least?

According to their website:

"a full range of low-cost surgeries and procedures, including vaccinations and microchipping is available at the charity’s Inchicore small-animal clinic. All that’s required is that pet owners must be genuinely needy in order to avail of our services at the small-animal clinic, similar to our mobile clinics. Appointments for the small-animal clinic must be made in advance. If you are in any doubt as to whether our services are available to you please ring or email us, so that a member of staff may assist you with your query."

The page address is at http://www.bluecross.ie/mobileclinic.html,

Hope this helps! Good luck with your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Your in dublin you can bring them to the blue cross clinic, it will still cost you but not as much or you could arrange with your vet to pay over a certain amount of time. I know how it feels not too long ago my cat got hit my a car, cost a load of money(not as much as you) and it was difficult to scrape it together.

Cat is doing fine now, he was lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

The following charities might help/point you in the right direction:

The Blue Cross
    www.bluecross.ie

DSPCA
    www.dspca.ie

Dogs Trust
    www.dogstrust.ie

Veterinary Clinics that are more low cost than others:
    Charlemont animal welfare clinic may be able to advise
    01) 6714303

Likewise St. Francis Animal Dispensary may be able to offer advice
    http://www.stfrancis.ie/

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

you could try and have a word with your vet about paying in instalments some vets will oblige.ya should probably look into pet insuance as it can save you a fortune.
    wanna move this outta the premod section mods??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Hi OP, sorry to hear about your dog.

I think you should contact the Blue Cross - you would probably qualify for assistance with treatment.

They have mobile clinics, but also have their own clinic in Inchicore.

This is their website: http://www.bluecross.ie/

or you can phone them at: 01 416 3030

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Also contact your local SPCA & the ISPCA. Did your Vet not offer any suggestions or advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NellQ

Hi,
    Just saw your post now. If you're unemployed and receiving social welfare your local vet should be participating in a scheme where you will be able to avail of cheaper treatment for your pet due to your unenployment status. Contact your local vet and they should be able to advise you on this. Hope your dog gets the required treatment and recovers well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Depends what part of the country you are in - I think the cheap vets only exist in Dublin:(
    Credit union loan? I was in a similar situation with my cat and that's what I had to do.

Advertisement