Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its all about Time...

Options
  • 02-11-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Probably a good idea that I put up a training log as all the best people around here seem to be doing the same…

Here's a bit about me:

Male
    Age 43
    5:11ft
    76kg
    Living in Dublin.

Started running back in 2006, but that was just for a bit of fun, and trying to stave of the middle age spread. Never did sport as a kid or in school to any level. I ran a few races in 2006 including the DCM, which was a horrible and painful experience. A fair bit of walking and eventually finished in 4:18. After that I didn’t and couldn’t run for 3 months solid.

Much the same story in 2007, and 2008. Did a few races usually finishing in the back half for the pack. But definitely no marathons.

I decided to take the running a bit more serious in 2009. I increased the run volume, ensured that I was getting out for at least 3 regular runs each week. However I still had no idea about sessions, pace, or any of the “science of running stuff”… Did the Marathon again that year and finished in 3:31, which I was pretty happy about. I began to think that I could get somewhere with this running thing.

At the start of 2010 I started reading Boards, and getting an understanding of the basic concepts of running and what it takes to make a better and stronger runner. Sessions, Tempos, thresholds, and LSR etc… I have to say the site has really helped and inspired me.

In June I downloaded Hal Higdons Advance Marathon 1 program and started following it as closely as I could. Finished the DCM10 last week in a time of 3:14:07. Felt good after went for a few pints after and generally enjoyed the day. Looking for 3:05 in 2011, possibly to ambitious, possibly not??? This is where the log will hopefully help out...

My secondary plan for next year is to better each of my goal times from this year. They stand as follows:-

2010 2011
    1M ??? 5:30 (complete guess)
    5K 20:05 19:00
    10K ??? 39:50
    5M 33:50 32:00
    10M 68:40 66:00
    Half 1:28:20 1:26
    DCM 3:14:07 3:05

I guess I will update the log about once a week, and use one of the grids to show the completed mileage and session types.

Any training advice, comments, slags etc, will be more than welcome guys!

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

ah we've been expecting you MisterDrak
    best of luck with your training and log

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Thanks SUNGOD, well done on the 1000 mile (weeks ago now)...

6 wet miles tonight so i can hit the 900 mark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck with the log and congrats on DCM if memory serves me correctly that is a good bit under your target time fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey Mr Drak,

Good to see you starting a log. A great resource.
    I ran with yourself, christeb and X? over Howth back in the summer.
    Congrats with the great marathon time.

Whens the next race for you?

Macanri wrote: »
    Hey Mr Drak,

Good to see you starting a log. A great resource.
    I ran with yourself, christeb and X? over Howth back in the summer.
    Congrats with the great marathon time.

Whens the next race for you?

Thanks Mac,

Yeah I remember the Day, and the state we were all in at the end... :D

Next A race for me is the Raheny 5, but ill do anything else handy that comes along in the mean time..

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log and congrats on DCM if memory serves me correctly that is a good bit under your target time fair play

Thanks ecoli, yeah the DCM went very well up to clonskeagh, but then the wheels came off a bit. Not enough long slows before. Anyway going to remedy that for 11... Speed sessions from now till March. :confused:

Last night: 6 wet windy miles. First time this year to wear the tights and jacket when running. Strong wind in the face for the first 2 miles. But this reversed on the sea front. Couple of miles down there at 7:1x, which felt nice. Probably faster that i wanted, with the marathon miles still in there somewhere. Last mile was a struggle as the heavens opened and got soaked. Not nice driving home sitting in a puddle with the car windows steamed up.

Summary : 6.3 miles in 46 mins, @7:31/mile (approx as the garmin missed signal for first few hundred yards).

Today : Light workout in the gym, plus some core work.

Lunch Time : 6 more wet miles around the Pheonix park. Have to get a taxi out and back again which is a pain, however running endless circles around St Stephens Green dont appeal to me to much. Knees are giving me a bit of concern, as I have a slight tightness in there. Will slow down for the weekend runs though. Put in one fast mile at 6:30 at the back of the zoo.

Summary : 6 miles in 45 mins, @7:3X/mile (approx as the garmin AGAIN missed signal for first mile +). This watch is pis***g me off....

Total Miles 2010 : 907

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Dave, good luck on the log - i will be following with interest.

Your 5K & 5 Mile PB's are very close to mine, but your half and marathon times are significantly better. Hopefully I can learn a few things from you :o

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Best of luck. Well done in DCM. I think you'll break those mile, 5k and 10k goals at a canter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Just seeing your DCM time - niiiiice one! It was those hilly miles in Howth that gave you the strength to break 3:15 :p

christeb wrote: »
    Just seeing your DCM time - niiiiice one! It was those hilly miles in Howth that gave you the strength to break 3:15 :p

Yep, At this point not looking forward to all that and more for next years attempt...

P.s. seen your USA pics yesterday, love the green arm warmers... Sexy...

Saturday : Just 4.5 miles around the football fields in Swords. Just took it nice and easy. The grass was very wet around the river... Not much else to report. 4.5Miles in 32 min.

Sunday : Got up early (7:05am) and was planning to do 6 easy miles (my normal 10K loop around raheny / Clontarf. Started running at 7:55am, steady down the howth road (8min miles). A few of the Raheny crew caught up with me just before fairview. Said a few hello's and decided to tuck in behind them. Pace dropped down to the 6:3x for 3 miles. Turned out this was the Sub 2:50 marathon pace group!!! Had to give up and go back to 7:1X for the last couple of miles.

Got 7.5 miles in 52 min. Again approx as the garmin AGAIN missed signal for first mile +).

Total Miles 2010 : 919

Just thinking after my sunday session yesterday, what worked in terms of training and what didnt work this year.

What worked :
    Tempo Tuesdays. For most of the summer (every Tuesday evening) I did a 10 mile tempo run on the sea front. Usually pushed the pace and normally finished in 1:12 - 1:15 (7:15 - 7:30 mile pace). Think I need to get these down to 1:08 - 1:09 (6:5X) on a regular basis. Also i never missed this session.

What didnt :
    Generic marathon plan. I used the Hal Higdon Advance plan1. While the plan is good to get you around the race in a resonable time, I think that a bespoke plan would be better, based on where you are at a point in time. Using the HH plan for the first 3-4 weeks, i actually reduced my milage to follow the plan.

Didnt get enough LSR's into training. Only did three 20miles LSR's before the marthon. Probably go for 5 sessions in 2011, also get two beyond 22 miles.

Not enough hill repeats... Dont really know much about this, or the training benefit.

No real volume or quantity in interval training. Need lots more of this probably in early part of the year especially...

Not enough miles at PMP..

Monday Evening : Tried to start some faster training. Unfortunately the weather last night was horrible. Strong winds and sleet. Just got in a few laps of the ALSAA track then 4 * 400 (85s, 85s, 85s, 82s)...

Tuesday : Medium workout in the Gym. Just basic strength stuff, and some stretching also. The arms and chest has disappeared since the higher volume training started in the summer.

Wednesday : 4.5 miles before picking himself up from school. Coupld of laps around the park. Nothing special, Average pace 7:06.

Thursday : Usual park run at lunch time. The wind and the hale was particurarly bad. First part of the run was steady, with the wind in the face for most of it, until Chesterfield Roundabout. Then with the wind at the back easy stret for a few miles. Got in a 6:29mile which felt good...

Total Miles this year : 931

Saturday : Just 3.75 miles around the football fields in Swords. Just took it nice and easy, 30 min.

Sunday : Did my usual 10 mile loop from Raheny to coast road, to sutton past the dingy club and back to sutton and then raheny. Love this loop, as it has everything. Decient distance, flat path's, scenery, and a small hill at half way point. Weather was fantastic, brigh sun for all of the run, but only 4c. Had all of the gear on for most of the run, however had to shed the nike jacket at the Marine Hotel and pick back up later. Finished the 10m in 1:13:04.

Seem to have the Garmin issue sorted. About 2 miles from the run start while still in the car driving I set the GPS. By the time I get out of the car the watch has aquired the signal... Simple...

Total Miles 2010 : 945

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Sounds like a nice run. Might give that one a try!

maria74 wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice run. Might give that one a try!

Maria,

Its a nice run alrigh, the best bits around the dingy club as you are facing on to Dublin bay, with the sea just below. Only at 4.5 miles there so a fair bit of running left to do..

Bad week for me training wise, nothing last Monday or Tuesday, Only 4 miles on Wednesday. Went to the Irish Match on Wednesday night, and was a disaster, both the football and the aftermath.
    This was my lowest milage volume week since February and the foot operation recovery. Also no gym work. Feel a bit flumpy as a result...

Sunday : Back to running at last. :p Did my usual 10 mile loop from Raheny to coast road, to sutton past the dingy club and back to sutton and then raheny AGAIN. Though that I would just slow run this, but felt good and very fresh from the extended rest. Strong wind in the face on the way out, probably accounted for the slower out miles (7:22, 7:24, 7:23) but in the back on the way back?, with 2 miles at (6:42, 6:54). Average pace for the run 7:14p/m

Finished the 10mile in 1:12:25. Summary : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57558751

Want to be completing this session in < 70 mins consistantly by march 2011.

Total Miles 2010 : 959.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Sunday : Back to running at last. :p Did my usual 10 mile loop from Raheny to coast road, to sutton past the dingy club and back to sutton and then raheny AGAIN. Though that I would just slow run this, but felt good and very fresh from the extended rest. Strong wind in the face on the way out, probably accounted for the slower out miles (7:22, 7:24, 7:23) but in the back on the way back?, with 2 miles at (6:42, 6:54). Average pace for the run 7:14p/m

Finished the 10mile in 1:12:25. Summary : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57558751

Did the same only I took in the Cliffs yesterday too. I just love that trail so much!

Last Week : Virtually no running :(

This Week : No running :mad:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry, but board in work...

Did a hard session in the gym on sunday by way of punishment, for the lack of proper training.

Another Bad week training wise. With the lack of running im beginning to get lazy, eating crap, and watching way to much TV. That being said I did do a 3 mile on Sunday morning around the fields in Swords. Slow stuff in 23 minutes.

Monday : Another 3 miles in the dark. Well mostly Dark, as the snow reflection make the park mostly OK to run. Wont be breaking any records in this weather 3 miles in 24 minutes.

I have the Raheny 5 to train for (Jan 30), so hopefully the bad weather will dissipear shortly and can get some quality sessions going again...

Total Milage : 976 miles Year to date.

With the lack of all things running going on in my life at the moment, decided to post up the race report for DCM10. Not really a report as such, rather a Chronological list of things that happend on the day...

DCM 10

Got up at around 6:30, having had 2 good night sleep previously, had breakfast immediately of muesli, and half a banana, and a toasted bagel with honey. Had the gear laid out the night before, running vest and tight Bupa Ireland 10K tea shirt over it. The runners were Asics Gt1150 (€57) on special in Elvories, however I had ran in an older pair of them all summer. The marathon pair had about 4 weeks worth of running in them with one 20 mile session about 3 weeks before.

The day was bright, with temperatures at around 8-9c on the drive in, and very cold in the shadows. Got to the office at 7:30am, printed my pacing band, and actually reduced the planed time to 3:13 (madness?). I was looking for a 3:14:59 on the day, anything faster a bonus. Left my office at around 8:10 and walked down to the Merion Hotel.

Left from the hotel at around 8:30. Warmed up on Pembroke St, for just 2 mins. Ted was talking to a few of the Raheny guys that we bumped on to on Baggot street. The numbers were split by the race marshals at the junction of Baggot St and Pembroke Rd, with the faster guys going right to the start line. The start area was pretty packed. Got up parallel to the 3:00 red pace balloons. Talked to Dave Grange very briefly. Loads of Clothes being discarded at the start.

Race started at 9:01, I didn’t have a signal on the watch, but set the stop watch anyway at the start line. As a result the markers were out by approx .4miles all way around. This is pretty annoying.

As always there was a pile of slower people in the sub 3:30 area, and I had to struggle to get past them down Lesson St and for the top of St Stephen Green. By the Shelbourne most of the crowding was sorted out. A fast 6:20 – 6:30 pace at this stage is important to get ahead of the jokers. First mile marker on Dawson St opposite Bleu. Did the second mile in 7:01, felt pretty easy. By the start of O’ Connell St the Red Pace Sub 3:00 balloons were leaving on to Parnell St. Long Slow Drag up Parnell st. Just kept the pace. A bloke flew passed me on (6 min miles) O’Connell with baggy track suit bottoms and a formal shirt and carrying a full 2 litre bottle of water (what the hell???). My hands were pretty cold at this stage. Nearly was going to pick up a cast off pair on the road.

Parnell St on to Berkley St on to the Nth Circular all uneventful. Still a good few runners moving past me at this stage. Take no heed and keep on the planed marathon pace… Saw the track suit bloke outside the sex shop in Phibsborough ready to puke and coughing like a trooper… Strange???

First water station on the middle of Nth Circular. Forgot it was there and had to move across fast, nearly crashed into a bloke as a result. Just took a sip and got rid. The Red sub 3 balloons were now out of sight. Going into the Phoenix Park gates is slight down hill and looked like the running crowds were thin enough ahead.

Seems to be more relaxed to run in the park, especially with the way the weather was. Important to have done several runs around here in advance of the marathon. Also on this route. Passed a bloke from Raheny. I had to stop for a wee on top of spa road, for 30 seconds. Down lord Mayors road fast to get back my lost 30 seconds. Think this mile was around 7:10. The first video station was on Furze road at 10K. Should speed up at this stage get better run form and look more controlled.

Remainder of the Furze road, fast and controlled. Down to Glen Road very fast, with several blokes passing me. Loads of support outside the park Chapelizod Gate. 500yrds on was the first Lucozade Sport drinks station, hidden down a bit. Took a water here not knowing there was a lucozade stop 20 yards on. Dropped the water and took one of them instead.

Over Chapelizod bridge and up first hard hill. Support here is fantastic, a guy out with some major speakers blasting the music, think this was outside a pub. A young guy wearing a white shirt speeded pass me on the hill out of the village. I caught him at the top as he was walking. Lesson, keep to your pace, don’t rush the hills. Most of the next couple of mile were uneventful. Some faster guys passing me. One bloke asked me at this point what finish time I was going for. I replied 3:15, he said he was looking for a 3:02. He was moving faster than me but all over the place in terms of style. I never saw him again.

Hit the 10 mile mark at 1:03ish, at Inchicore road, just before the gates to Royal Hospital. Piles of support around this part of town. Continued on to St Circular road. Again probably the best part of the route for support. Again some guys passing me here, (1-2) only though.

The run up Crumlin road was fine, still strong and moving well. Passed Eamon Coughlan in his biking gear opposite the children’s hospital. He asked a group of lads behind me what time they hoped to finish in. Hit the half just before Walkinstown roundabout at 1:34:33. At this point I calculated that a 3:08 was possible if I could maintain pace. However a 3:10 was more realistic.

The next few miles were all flat, the road surface was fine. Holding my place. The slits around here were all ok. Mile 14 à 7:17 Mile 15 à 7:19 Mile 16 à 7:22 Mile 17 à 7:12. Passed a strange woman on Orwell Road, running on the path and shouting to her self. Orwell road was deserted as usual. Mile 18 (7:14). At this point you begin to doubt yourself. I think 5-6 of runs beyond 20 mile are required to get the head right for this part of the race.

Got to Milltown, (where I had started the training run the pervious Sunday). That was a good idea, I knew what to expect in terms of roads, hills, dips etc. The fatigue was beginning to set in at this stage. Mile 20 à 7:45, Mile 21 à 7:47. Also got a shooting cramp in the right leg at this point. I slowed the pace just in case. Started getting these cramps every 5-6 minutes from this point till the end.

The run down Fosters Avenue was not easy. Again a good few people passed me here. I had the head down for most of this part of the run. Turning on to Stillorgan Carriage way was a small relief. I could see the RTE tower in the distance. The mind was telling me to stop at and walk for “just a little bit” at this point. Extremely important not to give into this. Once you stop at this point in the race you will not start running again with any strength. Several guys were stopped at the side of the road with Cramps.

Got over the carriage bridge and past the St Johns Ambulance, over the other side and on to Nutley lane. Again the pace here was slow. (7:44). Turned on to Merrion road. This part is difficult as there is traffic driving out from town. The road is wide and the trees shade the sun, so little heat available, also very little support. Also there are very few people cheering. I ran on the white line marking out the bus lane. Imagined that this line was pulling me to the finish line. It worked a little bit.

Got to the four seasons and RDS and the pace was down to 7:48. Just wanted this to end at this point. However I knew that I would finish without walking, which was something. Shelbourne Road, was hard, and the bridge over the dodder was difficult. Runners were passing me constantly at this point. I started to think that the 3:15 pacers must be very close behind. I was looking for signs that they were behind me. Listening for the cheers etc. I did not want to look around in case I tripped.

Seen Ted at the Davenport hotel. Small wave was all I could muster. Down Westland row was a blur. Pearce street as cold. Tried to up the pace here, but nothing in the tank. Again constantly thinking about the 3:15 pacers catching me. Sean McGoldrick Passed me at under the Pierce St bridge. Tried to keep up with him, but couldn’t. Seen Sean catch up with Martin Kelly at the Garda station, apparently they sprinted the length of Nassau St, with Martin getting the win but recording the same time as Sean. Again if I had more in the tank I could have beaten both of them. Need some serious endurance speed to be built for next year.

The last half mile was packed with people. Got to the split in the road (Lincoln Place), and the Stuarts screamed at me about no race number. I weakly pointed to my back. I dragged off my “Great Ireland “ top, to great applause from the crowds. Picked up the pace for the last 20 yards, and tried to punch the air as I crossed, but had nothing left.

Got the medal from the girls and slowly walked around Merion Sq. Got 2 official pictures taken by the marathon Photos guys. I look spent in both of them. Felt I was going to puke, but the park was locked, so nowhere to hide. Had to sit down on the steps of a solicitors practise on the square and dry reach for a minute. Found a half used bottle of water on the road and drank it. Some strength returned and I got up and slowly passed the massage area. Tried a few arm raised and shoulder stretches. Saw Ted with Pauline’s Daughter on Merrion St. Go to the Merrion Hotel, but cramped up on the steps, the door man had to help me up the steps. Stretched, and was mostly ok. Got to the room (nice suite), and had a warm shower and lay on the bed freezing… The intense cold passed in about 20 minutes. Had a slow swim in the pool. The feeling of achievement was beginning to kick in. Lots of pints and good food to follow for the day.

Summary: Great day, flew for the first 10 miles, ok for the next 10, but the last 6 were very very hard, to say the least. 3:14:07 chip time. Not bad for an old lad…

Great day after, just don’t drink any wine, just Guinness, and two cups of coffee. Also wore my runners and jeans for the day. Important to be relaxed for remainder and have an extra jacket cause you will be extra cold for the day.

Bring on 2:59:59 for 2011 !!!!

Slowly getting back into some run volume. With the weather improving slightly its so much the easier to get out. I would have put garmin links, but the sight appears to be down???
    Booked for the Raheny 5 at lunch time. hopefully €20 well spent.

Sunday : Another 6 miles on the sea front, just an out and back route. in about 45 mins.

Tuesday : 5.5 miles around the Pheonix park. Paths were mostly clear of snow and ice, however around the back of the zoo, there was loads of grit and some ice remaining. Make the fater pace stuff a bit risky.

Wednesday : 4 miles around malahide park, waiting for John to finish school. Again nothing special.

Total Milage : 994 miles Year to date.

Saturday : 3 miles around swords in a slow 25 minutes. Ground was frozen and hard under foot.

Sunday : 6 miles around raheny. Did 3.5 miles in around to raheny village. Then picked up the pace from the village back to the car.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60172853 2.6 miles in 17.45 Average pace 6.40pm. Nice to get a bit of speed back.

Finished the 1000 mile challange today.

Total Milage : 1002 miles Year to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done, I think I'm about a week behind you...

RayCun wrote: »
    Well done, I think I'm about a week behind you...

Thanks Ray, you were getting mighty close over the last couple of weeks.

Did the Turkey Run in Sutton on December 28th @11:30. The course was a nice few miles to howth village, then up through the village (the steep assent), then the summit, and back down to the sutton cross and finally to the sutton rugby club.

Distance was 7.1mile, although I was still dying with the cold from X-mas, I gave it lash. Finished in 54:40. Happy enough for last run of the year.

2010 Year total = 1009 miles.

• Advertisement

New year new challanges.!!!

Most importantly new 1000 mile challange. Hopefully i will stay injury free this year, as I missed 2 months with the operation on the foot last year.

I will officially set my goals for times in the next week or so.

Saturday : 4 miles around Malahide park. Slow and plodding stuff.

Sunday : 7 miles on the sea front from Bay out to sutton cross, just an out and back route. In about 55 mins. @ 7:43m/m
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61901802

Monday : 7 miles around the Malahide and portmarnock. @ 7:48pm
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61901802

Total Milage : 18 miles Year to date.

Advertisement