Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

:) I find that too! The only people I know in Raheny who ever seem to take easy days are people who came to the club after a few years posting on boards.

Up until this year I always just ran at whatever pace everyone else out that day was running. This year, I've been trying to take it easy on purpose some days, as I'm so afraid of getting injured again.

I ran at the back of the slower group last Wednesday, to have an easy day before my hill day and two people asked me if I was injured :-).

The Raheny way seems to work for most people there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Its funny actually, but when I come in from a run, MrsDrak usually asks me what do you talk about when you were out running with the group. My normal response is nothing, I can talk much sense at 7min miles...

Been poor with the log updates recently (seems to be pretty common around here), mainly down to the fact that I haven't been running... Again I seem to be struggling with motivation...

02/05 Saturday - Easy

6 easy and wet miles around the home turf, soaked to the skin. Not a great run, but empty fields all the same.

05/05 Tuesday - Gym - For upper and core work.

Upcoming races.

BHAA 5mile - 26/05 - Dunboyne
    Strawberry half - 07/06 - Enniscorthy
    Dunsaughlin 10K - 20/06 - Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Notice you head to the park at lunchtimes a lot. if you fancy a bit of company the odd time id be on for that. would be good for amid week tempo run for me. Pm me if you would be on for that.

Catch up time.

But very little running to speak of at the moment, which is a pity as this is probably my fav time of the tear to train :mad::mad::mad:

07/05/2015 - Thursday - Steady

Out to Raheny early, and earlier that all of the lads at 6:30. Headed off on my own for a medium loop.

8 miles in 58mins for 7:21 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/772139381

10/05/2015 - Sunday - Steady

Massive crown do to the club house for the 8am morning run. usually we plod along with 4-5 lads for company, in excess of 40 this morning, WFT :confused:

JF opted for the town direction, so I happily joined in for 10.3 in 1:17 for 7:25 avg. Lost touch with the group at mile 8 as I was hanging at that stage. lack of running is beginning to tell.

12/05/2015 - Tuesday - Easy

Just 6 miles around St Annes on the grass @ easy pace.

17/05/2015 - Sunday - Steady.

again a big group down, so jumper into a suitable pace group and did 2 loops of St Annes on the grass, and a bit of Wade Ave also.

10.1 miles in 1:17 for 7:38 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/777896890

4-5 gym session also interspersed in the runs above...

Upcoming Races.

BHAA 5 mile Dunboyne next Tuesday 26th. Will be lucky to run under 35mins at this stage.

3 weeks away from the Strawberry Half in Enniscorthy, will be lucky to finish that hill-fest.

• Advertisement

Normal Service mostly resumed !

Tuesday 19/05 - Tempo

Out of work early and went for the 5 mile tempo option, with 2.2 mile warm-up at a leisurely 8m/m. Followed by a short break to re-set the watch and off again on the Raheny 5 route @ max warp...

Splits for the 5 miles
    6:48, 6:51, 6:39, 6:35, 6:41

Followed by a 1.5 mile cool down. Felt reasonably good most of the way around. 5 miles in 33:37 for 6:43 avg, giving a total of 8.5 miles on the night.

Thursday - Hills with JF

Down, again early with JF for a run from the club house, in some very welcome warm weather for a change. The route was coast road, out to Sutton Cross, up Carrickbrack road to Corkscrew and back down, coast road, and home.

On the return from Sutton cross, we were passed by a big bloke with a Tri vest, (not from around these part, given the French on the T-shirt !). We decided to give chase for a bit of a laugh, which was did not amuse Mr Tri. He increased pace, so did we, same again, and again. The run home turned into a bit of a bad tempered race for the Howth Rd.

Anyway we laughed about it on getting back to the club. 9 miles in 1:08 for 7:32avg. was a few 6:30 towards the end...

Saturday - Parkrun Malahide.

Haven't done a park run in ages, and with Malahide being so close, and the weather steadily improving, I decide to give one a lash. The younger Son expressed an interest in also running, however getting him up at 8:30 proved impossible, so just me on the day.

Turned up at 9:10ish for a brief warmup, with about 300 lining up on the alternate course, given the "pitch and Put" loop is still closed due to the cricket international. Headed out with the group, at a decent 6:48 for the first mile, still some residual tiredness from the MLR on Thursday, prevented me from pushing any harder. Second mile passed a backwards runner ??? Why ??? (at 10m/m pace he must have set out before the mass start). Next mile 6:57 (disappointing), last mile 6:39 (better), but course slightly short.

Happy enough with 35th, and 20:25.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/784125346

Sunday 24/05 - LSR.

I need to stop calling them LSR, (more like Long Steady Runs). Big group down at 8:00 for a range of distances. Headed out with JF and BK for a steady and laugh filled 10.8 miles in 1:21 for 7:34avg. Died a bit on the last mile.

Great to get decent training in, with friends and have a laugh to boot !!!

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/784125364

Kind of crocked all day Sunday, not helped by the couple of beers after dinner. That wont do me any favours in Dunboyne on Tuesday night for the BHAA 5miler...

BHAA Dunboyne 5 Mile.

Given that we are going through a bit of a life changing event at the moment, the 5 miler was not high on my list of priorities. Not the slightest bit of nerves on the drive out to the village, which did not bod well for any fast race times. I was however rather looking forward to the always great spread after the race.

I set my 5 mile PB here in 2013 as part of the DCM marathon build up, on the back of a many 55 mile training weeks. Probably hitting 25 at present, another ominous sign...

Anyway, got in a 1.1 mile warm-up on the gravel track, and on the 3rd lap spotted AMK running the opposite direction. Had the slagging about the log all lined up and ready to go for the next pass on the track, however he must have split off and headed for the start line before me. Did the same and after a few mins found myself mid pack, waiting for the race start. Some very brief words by the announcer and we were off pretty much immediately.

Settled into a steady / fast pace, to get into my pace group, and probably over cooked it a portion for the first half mile. Also some bunching in the first mile meant that progress was intermittent. Mile 1 (6:15), and very surprise to see that. Similar story for mile 2 , but with less bunching and clear gaps opening. Mile 2 - (6:19).

2 miles in and probably (40-50 odd seconds faster that I was expecting) I was now in the red zone, and already beginning to count the .1 of a mile segments to the finish. Body and mind was beginning to "hurt" trying to hold pace. Mile 3 (6:28), soldiered on and passed by a club mate with no comments from either of us.

Last sharp left turn after mile 3, signalled the run for home, and I was praying for the finish. Running form and cadence were all beginning to suffer. Had to stay focussed on the task on hand. Mile 4 and a slower still (6:38), annoyed with that split, but at this stage there was nothing I could do.

You could now hear the announcer calling the fast finishers on the track. Wound up as much as I had left, and pushed for home. Other runners were a blur at this stage, rather than a target to pass. Just wanted to hold pace and get this race over with. On to the track and a "Come on Dave from MrsDrak", enabled me to push on for the last 400m. Last mile 6:25 for a 32:03 on the night. Have to say I was delighted with that. Almost unable to walk at the end, as I have put everything into the race.

After sat around with the club lads and chatted and stuffed the face with coffee sambos and cake. Great night...

Thursday 28/05 - PP - Steady.

Steady / Easy run in the PP at lunch time, still freezing and had on a second T-Shirt for warmth. Bloom event, meant that the roads were a little more busy than normal. Still a handy 6.6 miles in 51:34 for 7:49 avg.

Saturday 30/05 - Malahide Parkrun.

The last week of the still difficult alternate course, around Malahide park. Lined up with a few running club mates and headed off, settled into a decent group close to the front for the first mile. Held pace and position for most of the race, and finished with a 20:06 for 19th place and a 6:42avg. Grand and happy enough with the result.

Sunday 31/05 - Sunday LSR

With BK return to our group there is always a good bit of running banter to wile away the miles. JF had suggested a 13.5 mile, however with the 2 races in the last 5 days I decided that 11m would be plenty. Weather still freezing and windy ???

Fell off the pace with 2 miles to go, but happy with the 11.1 in 1:25 for 7:39 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/791853871

Monthly - May2015

100miles run.
    16 runs, including 3 races
    4 Sunday LSR - Longest 11.1
    1 tempo
    0 Track Sessions

Tempo Tuesday - 02/06/2015

Just myself and JF down for this one, and decided on an easy 2.5 mile warm-up on grass in St Annes, followed by a 3.1 mile tempo effort on the St Annes Parkrun course.
    JF still stronger on the faster stuff, (and everything above 400m). Conditions driving intermittent rain and Gail force winds... 1.5 miles cool down on grass at the end for a 7mile in 48minutes. The tempo 5K took 20:45 for a 6:50 avg.

Wednesday 03/06 - Physio session in Sports Med Ireland.

Friday 05/06/2015

Easy 5 miles in the PP on grass in 40minutes for 8avg. Nice run in warm conditions for a change...

Sunday 07/06/2015 - Strawberry Half Marathon - Enniscorthy

Have run this race pretty regularly over the years, with 2013 being the last time, where I posted a decent 1:28 for 2nd over 45. No chance of that type of pace / time this year, as the training ahs been intermittent at best, with nothing over 12 miles since Bohermeen.

The race seemed to be smaller this year than in previous years, probably down to the Wexford Marathon on the same day. Still a fit looking 200 odd runners turned up at the start line with pacers at 1:30, 1:45 and 2:00. Condition were excellent with temps around 14c with little or no wind.

I set off with the 1:45 pacers for the first mile as I vowed that I would try to enjoy the hilly 13.1 miles rather that putting myself in the hurt locker. First mile the slowest of the race @ 7:25. Out of the village after the first mile, we had already settled into our pace groups. From mile 2 I gently upped the pace and worked to catch the individual and groups of runners ahead of me. Next few miles 7:14, 7:17, 7:09, 7:07.

I had forgotten how hilly the course is, long drags followed by steep drops after. Still the country side was probably at its best in June, with plenty of country sights and smells in evidence, rivers, forest, cows and tractors, all great stuff for the soul for a city lad like me.

Mile markers were all bang on, water stations all seemed to be place when needed, and closed roads and knowledgeable and encouraging marshals made for a great experience. The 7:20ish pace persisted through the mid part of the race, and I was again passing the occasional slower runner.

The turn to onto the N11, heralded 3 miles to go, on a very welcome and finally flat surface. Again targeted 2-3 runners with 50-100m lead on me and vowed to catch them by the end. The splits on this last 1/4 of the race was 7:08, 7:22, 6:53. Finished strongly in the run into the tape, with 1:34:54 on the Garmin and 49th place.

Baskets of strawberries for the finishers, made for an enjoyable snack. I jumped into the Slaney river for a cool down after, with a few other hardy souls. Great race, enjoyable experience, and well run race, and l will be back again in 2016.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/797762919

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's a real pity that the Strawberry Half isn't getting the numbers as it really is a super race and excellently organised. Definitely one of my favourites.

I am not sure the Wexford Marathon had much to do with it though, I noticed a drop in numbers last year as well. The Marathon only seems to have gotten a very small field (140) and I recognise most of them as multiple Marathoners from all over the country (very few locals) so I doubt they'd have come down for the Half.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's a real pity that the Strawberry Half isn't getting the numbers as it really is a super race and excellently organised. Definitely one of my favourites.

I am not sure the Wexford Marathon had much to do with it though, I noticed a drop in numbers last year as well. The Marathon only seems to have gotten a very small field (140) and I recognise most of them as multiple Marathoners from all over the country (very few locals) so I doubt they'd have come down for the Half.

Meno,

Possibly something to do with the late advertising of the race. I went looking for this in March and there was nothing on the web about it. Only appeared about 6-7 weeks ago, which as you say is a pity.

Gutted that im going to miss the Beer Mile again this year, and meet up with all the other Boards stalwarts. Im heading down to Portugal for a week with the son, so ill have to do with a tread view instead ...

Thursday 11/06 - Steady with Hill.

Finished work early again, so decided on the Clontarf and Sutton seafront from the clubhouse. Took in Carricbrack Road up to corkscrew hill for a 220 foot climb in 1 mile. Then a gentle descent back to the sea and home. A brief 1 mile return run with an Italian runner, apparently his 10K PB is 31min...

9.4 miles in1:12 for 7:42 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/801444346

Off on holidays for a week tomorrow with the younger son. Hopefully I can get in 6 days straight running...

Holidays !!!

Sunday 14/06/2015 - Steady run.

The now annual week off at the start of the summer holidays with the younger son in Portugal, offered some sun and warmth for a fatigued runner. The quiet roads around Quinta offered the best running options, and the added benefit to see the latest mega villas being built.
    An adequate 6.7 miles before brekie @ 7:46avg did the trick.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/811474028

Monday 15/06/2015 - Steady.

The red wine haze only beginning to clear after 5.3 miles in the rising temperatures.

Tuesday 16/06/2015 - Steady.

As per usual, the steady pace here seems to be harder than at home, even allowing for the raised temps. Still happy with 5.2 miles in 40 mins.

Thursday 18/06/2015 - Steady.

More of the same with 4.2 miles. The regular evening red wine and beer binge is having the required effect on the body, i.e. slowing everything down :(

Also a gym session in spikes with the son for core and upper.

Saturday 20/06 - Dunsaughlin 10K.

Given that I only got off the plane at 4:00pm, (including a half hour delay on the tarmac in Dublin), then forced into a rushed meal of eggs on toast before packing the sports bag and heading off to Dunsaughlin, none of which boded well for any kind of fast running. Still happy to be out there as most of my club mates seems to be injured at present.

Parked up and picked up the race number and a disappointing T-shirt, (not that I really care about T-shirts at this stage), but my 3 previous Dunsaughlin 10K orange tech T's are probably some of the better ones, or better quality and fit that most of the stuff I have at present.

Got in a quick 1 mile warmup on the pitches, and the short trip up to the by-pass, with plenty of other runners. Lined up in mid pack, with other similar built runners, and exchanged a few words with a group of lads from Dunboyne before the off. Always a great start to this races with the wide road and the hill back into the village offers a stress free and fast start.

Plenty of support on the way. A quick call out from Damien M on the road side, and a "where the F*** is your club colours Dave"?. Immediately after the 1 mile mark beep in 6:38avg. After out into the country side and again some decent support from houses and laneways around the course. Mile 2 in 6:41, again happy with this split, and I was happy to picking off groups of runners every minute or so.

Decided early on that I would ignore drinks for the race, and the usual carnage that surrounds them. A nice trail wind on the run away from the village helped with Mile 3 in 6:42. The sharp right hand turn came soon after, and the second sharp right signalled the long run for home at mile 4 (6:34). Immediately after we hit the infamous hill, with the name of previous runners. Happy to still be passing other runners here and gaining a few more valuable places.

Given that we were now running into a westerly direction the sun was low in the horizon and shining directly into the eyes. I stumbled a few times as a result of the glair and the rutted road surface.

There seems to be a long drag at this section, and I felt the onset of a stich in the right side. I tried the massage under the ribs, bit it yielded little comfort. Mile 5 in 6:58, happy to still hold under 7min miles. The run for home started in earnest, as the stich started to dissipate. You could now hear the announcer calling the fast finishers clearly. I pushed on a much as possible with the final full mile in 6:39. Emptied myself as much as I could for the final run in and under the line in 41:56 for a 6:41, and 259 place, if that means anything.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/811474077

As usual a great race put on by Dunsaughlin, the weather played ball, the mile markers all bang on. The spread after all first class.

Happy to have complete another Dunsaughlin 10K, but I seriously need to get back to some hard training and nail a fast time here next year, as its the course to do it on...

Sunday LSR. - Easy.

Just 7.7 odd miles in an hour, with the lads on a Sunday morning on the sea front, and brekie after. Bliss :):):)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/811474086

Thursday 25th June - Malahide Easy.

Easy grassy run in Malahide park for 5.2 miles. Nothing else to report bar the good weather.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/818281995

Sunday 28th - LSR - Maynooth Canal run.

A club run done for years, and one that I have some reason have missed each time. The plan was to park up in Clontarf Road dart station, run down the north strand road to where it intersects with the royal canal, then follow the canal all to way to Maynooth, giving a total distance of about 17miles.

Only 4 other brave souls turned up for the jaunt, JF, MK, SmcG and CR. We all set off with myself JF and MK in the first group and the S and C following behind.

The first few miles all covered familiar landmarks, Croke Park, Dorset Street, Phibsborough, however after that things become less clear, with the only indication of position being the Trains station names periodically on the left hand side. For the most part the path follows the canal directly with little deviation away. The odd time you need to cross to the other side of the canal to follow the toe path.

As you leave the city, (crossing the M50 was impressive), the paths give way to trails and some very rough and overgrown sections around Coolmine for 1-2 miles. However its mostly open paths, with a tar, cobble, grass or gravel surface.

With no water, gels or otherwise, and the temps around 18c, after mile 12 it was a hard run for home. City long since given way to green fields and lots of wildlife. Finished up the run at the Glen Royal Hotel for a shower and a swim and a hearty Brekie with all of the group.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/818293836

Great if thirsty run, for 17.4 miles in 2:19 for 8:01 avg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

That's sounds like a nice option for a long run. Did you get the train back?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    That's sounds like a nice option for a long run. Did you get the train back?

Its a great long run if you have a bit of company, and a few bottles stored along the way. As I said we did over 17m unaided and it just a bit to long...

At the Glen Royal in Maynooth, we booked to have a shower and swim, and a brekie, that was €10 each (great value)...

A few of the running wags met us out there for brekie the drive home, so with a bit of forward organisation it can work out very well. Its a run that I will remember for a while !.

Nice run on Saturday by the way, and a nice AMK scalp also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Its a great long run if you have a bit of company, and a few bottles stored along the way. As I said we did over 17m unaided and it just a bit to long...

At the Glen Royal in Maynooth, we booked to have a shower and swim, and a brekie, that was €10 each (great value)...

A few of the running wags met us out there for brekie the drive home, so with a bit of forward organisation it can work out very well. Its a run that I will remember for a while !.

Nice run on Saturday by the way, and a nice AMK scalp also :)

Cheers. Certainly sounds like one to put on the to do list.

Thursday 2nd July - Easy

Just easy miles around the fields as a leg stretcher. 4.4 miles in 34mins for 7:46 avg.

Friday 3rd July - Gym + Core work

Saturday 4 July - Clontarf Half

The only reason in doing this race was that I've completed it a few times in the past, and also it was a nice day, and the course it mostly our Sunday LSR jaunt. Weather good, with a moderate wind to out back on the way out.

Set off in wave 1, and ran with a club mate at around 7:30pace, chatting as we went, taking things easy. We picked off a few runners / groups in the beach section, but pace / position was not in the race plan.

At the turn @ 6.5m, she was beginning to tire, and being the gent that I am, I duly upped the pace and headed off to fight new battles myself.

The wind was into the face for the return leg, which made for more difficult progress. The pace dropped significantly on the return beach section. Upped the effort for the last mile and finished in 1:38:55 for 13.1 miles @ 7:28avg.

Nice spread after with donuts and a beer, and a nice shirt and medal also.

Sunday 05/July.

Just 6.5 miles @ 8m/m pace. Feeling tired and just wanted to get back for a shower and home to bed...

Tuesday (07/07) 4*1m - 2min off, 2m warm-up 1 down

The plan was for a 4 * 1 mile, with 2 minutes between reps and 2 mile warm-up and 1 down. Unfortunately (for my training) my two Son's came into town for a spot of late lunch, and it was a case of man food in the shape of steaks all round. Never a good thing when you are trying to run hard intervals some 3 hours later.

Anyway did my best with an easy 2 mile warmup on the wade ave loop, then entered St Anns for the reps:-

Rep1 - 7:41, Felt bloated and ready to stop. Also running on grass. Ready to give up.
    Rep2 - 6:28, On the main avenue, and feeling better.
    Rep3 - 6:38, Rose garden loops.
    Rep4 - 6:49, Empty of energy

1 mile down and happy to have just finished the session.

Total of 7.8 miles in 58mins for 7:26avg combined.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/826909970

May do the same again on Thursday on an empty stomach and see what the splits are like ???

• Advertisement

Wednesday 08/07/2015 - Easy

Just 2.7 easy miles around the fields of swords, hard enough as I was in the gym in the morning for an upper and core workout.

Thursday 09/07/2015 - PP - Steady.

Been a few weeks since I was running the PP, so decided to give it a lash, as myself and MrsDrak were heading out for a spot of dinner at 6:30 an evening run would not be possible. Even with the dull weather the park seems brown and burnt. Still the 19c temps and no wind made for an enjoyable steady run of 6.5 miles in 50mins for 7:33 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/827942899

Saturday 11/07/2015 - Track - 5*400 with 90sec off.

Given its been months since my last track session, and I was in the mood for something different, I opted for ALSAA (on my own, as im not in strong enough for group sessions). 2.4 miles warmup in the fields, followed by dynamic stretches.

5*400 (only 5 as I knew i wanted to run long on Sunday) with following splits:-

Rep1 - 89
    Rep2 - 89
    Rep3 - 87
    Rep4 - 86
    Rep5 - 87

Need to get these in for next few weeks before re-joining the track groups...

Sunday - LSR - Steady.

With my Son texting me at 5:30 the result of the McGregor fight, sleep was at a premium, and I duly gave up trying to get back to sleep at 6:00am. Headed down to the clubhouse and started out at 7:45, with strong sun and deserted roads.

Opted for an "Assent of Howth", as I felt I wanted to push myself. Anyway fab run out along the coast run to Howth village, then a slow 8:40 heading up the hill, followed by steady miles on the return.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/831863036

12.4 miles in 1:34 for 7:38 avg. Nice run if a little thirsty on the way back.

Tuesday 14/07 - 4*1 mile, 2 min jog recovery, With 2M warm-up and 1 Down.

Things definitely picking up on the running front, the session last night was tough but after I felt that all of the targets were hit. No real let up in effort levels. Mile reps were :-

Rep 1 - 6:34
    Rep 2 - 6:35
    Rep 3 - 6:33 - Old guy on a bike helped pace me on this one !
    Rep 4 - 6:34

Totally empty after the session, and happy to have hit each of the mile splits pretty much the same, even though the Garmin workout does not show pace for the mile reps.

Immediately after had to collect the older Son as he just started his first day of work!.

Total - 8.48 miles in 1:00 for 7:07avg pace.

Wednesday 15/07

Gym for core and upper workout, also some leg lifts and glutes, loads of stretches.

Thursday 16/07 - PP - Steady

Out to the PP at lunch time for the normal run. Some speed and bounce returning to the legs after the few sessions last and previous week. Still the running enthusiasm was some what curbed by the Shi% weather.

Happy to have got in 6.7 miles in 50mins for 7:24 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/834920990

Saturday 18/07 - Track 6*400 with 90sec off.

Up to ALSAA early for 2.9 miles around the fields for an easy warmup, followed by 6:400 Reps:-

Rep1 - 84
    Rep2 - 84
    Rep3 - 84
    Rep4 - 80
    Rep5 - 84
    Rep6 - 85

Followed by a half mile cool down on grass.

Happy to turned in 4-5 second faster that last week. The legs seems to be loosening up nicely after the last week of training.

Sunday 19-07 - Sunday LSR

Down to the club extra early @ 7:30am to get in the same route as last week, so I could get home and watch the Fingal 10K.

12.4 miles over Howth hill, in 1:33 for 7:24 avg. Savage effort levels from Howth village where there is 400 feet of climbing in just over 1 mile.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/838816560

Monday - Gym for light upper and core.

Tuesday 21st - Steady Run

Good group down to run this one early, JF, Jen, DG, MK. Still fatigued from the last week of training, and probably to tired to run a 4*1 or 2*2 that I had intended. Just ran with the lads and decided on steady pace. 7 miles in 51mins for 7:21 avg.

Thursday 23rd - Easy.

Still fatigued and decided against the PP at lunch. Went down to Trinity Track for endless circles and 4 miles in 30 mins for 7:30 avg.

Friday 24th - Easy.

Easy running around St Annes park for 4.6 miles in 38mins for 8:13 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/846002001

Saturday 25th - Pyramid Session.

Wanted to do something different, and had seen this in on of the Training logs some time ago. The warm-up was somewhat curtailed as the younger son was up also up walking the dog, and she want to run with me !

Then 800m, 400m, 200m, 400m, 800m on the ALSAA track.

Reps 800 - 2:56
    Reps 400 - 78
    Reps 200 - 36
    Reps 400 - 85
    Reps 800 - 2:56

Nice to try to gauge the different paces, and hold on if starting to fast, or drop a gear if to slow...

Sunday 26th - LSR

Lashing rain and storm force winds, so the long run on the coast was going to be tough. The fast lads disappeared pretty quickly, and my normal pace group did much the same immediately after. On hitting the coast road section the rain was horizontal and stinging, gear was sodden and heavy. Opted to get off the seafront and trudge around Clontarf and Raheny.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/846002059

9.2 miles in 1:11 for 7:49 avg.

Tuesday 28/07 - 4*1m with 2 min easy, 2 Warmup and 1 down.

Did this session on the Raheny 8.5 mile loop, not feeling the best at the start and probably started out without getting the head right before attempting these harder sessions.

Rep 1 - 6:27
    Rep 2 - 6:34
    Rep 3 - 6:30
    Rep 4 - 6:39

Happy with the mile splits as they seemed reasonably easy, given this is the 4th week of them. 8.8 miles in 1:01 for 6:59 avg pace.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/849030139

Friday 31/07 - Easy.

Headed out to the fields before work for 3.2 easy miles. Felt great all day as a result. Nothing else to report.

Rock and Roll half Marathon.

A dim and distant memory at this stage, should have posted earlier...

Ran reasonably well, first few miles a bit two fast, as I tried to hold pace with some of the other Raheny lads and lassies.. Bands were ok, except for the one @ Kilmainham which was great. The few mile after hard but ran them well. The two miles on chapelizod road were a pace desert, and dropped a minute here.
    The park grand again, bar the hill up past st Marys, which was tough on everyone. Finished in 1:32:48 for 7:02 avg.

03/08 - Monday - Recovery

2.56 mile around St Annes on the grass at recovery pace.

04/08 - Tuesday - Easy.

Still fatigue from the R&R, so more easy running for 6.6 mile in 53mins for 8:03avg.

06/08 - Thursday - Steady

9.5m from club house to corkscrew hill (Howth hill), and back on the sea front, in 1:10 for 9.5 miles @ 7:22pace.

09/08/2015 - Sunday - LSR

Ran with Damo for 10miles, steady. Good chat about the house with him. Half Iron Man on it town but kept to the coast road.
    10m in 01:15 for 07:30 avg.

Tuesday 11/08 - Steady

My running mate JF put me on to this new route, and given I wanted a bit of a change I accepted. Unfortunately with work being so quiet at the moment, I was out to the clubhouse at 5:00pm, an hour ahead of everyone else, so opted to run on my lonesome again.

First 2.5 mile in StAnnes mostly on the grass for a bit comfort. Then Coast road, wooden bridge, Beach, causeway road, and back to the car via the remainder of the park.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/865018497

8.33 miles in 1 hour, for 7:12 avg.

Finished off with a bit of a warm down on the football pitches.

Thursday 13/08 - Gym for core and upper.

Friday 14/08 PP for easy run.

Lunch time run in the PP, for an easy run to clear the system of the pints from last night...

Run going well until I encountered a dying cat that had been clearly tortured and left for dead by some bastard. Why do people do this, seriously I cant understand why. Little I could do for the poor thing. Phoned the DSPCA when I got back to my office...

Very upsetting run...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/865162523

6.6 miles . 50 minutes for 7:38.

Saturday 15/08 - MLR

Given that I had to drive to Sligo on Sunday morning the usual LSR with the lads was out, so opted for a MLR on the Saturday instead.

Down to Raheny early for 9.0 miles from the club house, to Sutton a bit of coast road action and back around to the club. Most of the mile @ steady pace.

9.0 miles in 1:07 for 7:28 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/869382035

Tuesday 18/08 - Steady

Out with JF and DG for the beach run, 1/3 of St Annes park, followed by the coast road, wooden bridge, beach and cause way road.

JF pushed the pace the whole way around, with me holding on barely. Lovely Temperature for running, with the beach section pretty quiet.

8.4 miles in 1:00:45 for 7:14avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/870475084

Not great prep for the Frank Duffy this Saturday, no speed work or specific sessions to speak of. Anyway putting a sub 69 finishing time out there now, hopefully go out hard and hold on for the last few pain full miles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Saturday 15/08 - MLR

Not great prep for the Frank Duffy this Saturday, no speed work or specific sessions to speak of. Anyway putting a sub 69 finishing time out there now, hopefully go out hard and hold on for the last few pain full miles...

Best of luck with it - I'll be stewarding this year.

• Advertisement

Thursday 20/08 - Short.

With all the hassle with the new house this year, it looks like we wont get a holiday together, instead MrsDrak opted a night in the Powerscourt hotel, which compromised my usual PP lunch time run.
    I instead decided on a very short 1.2 mile "leg opener" :) beside the hotel. Agreed to meet here after, outside Avoca, as she had my track bottoms and running top. Of course she decides to change plans and leave me walking around Avoca in shorts and a signet dripping wine and sweat !

1.2 miles in 8 mins for 7:02, avg. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/875874154

Frank Duffy 2015

I always like the FD as a race, and had some decent results over the years, with a 65min in 2013. Still the training this year has been way off so I reasonably expected something similar to the 69min I Ran in the spring in the battle of Clontarf 10 mile.

As usual parked up nice and early at the Ashtown gat car park, Watched the traffic and parking chaos develop, for a change I got in a decent 2 mile warm-up and 10 minutes of stretches, followed by some dynamics and shuttles. Opted for the Adidas boost as they were lighter that the kayano's.

Settled into a space about 20 rows back from the front, with other similar "shaped" runners. The race plan was simple, hold on to sub 7 min miles for as long as possible, hopefully giving a sub 69 minute finish.

Started off with no gun and little fuss, and into the running immediately. Pushed passed slower "misplaced" runners for the first 2-3 minutes, with mile 1 coming up in a pacey 6:27.

Need to pull that pace back as I would blow up in the latter half if I maintained that. Found a decent pace group from mile 2 on and settled in for the long hall, with most of us jockeying for position every few meters. Got past PR from the club. Took on some water at the drinks station @ mile 3.3, and stopped for a few seconds to consume, without cuffing. Mile 2,3,4 (6:43,6:41,6:41). Happy with the splits and the relative ease I was running.

On the chesterfield Rd and some Raheny support gave me a boost. Brian K on a training run offered some mobile support also. Before mile 6 the right side light up with a savage stich. Tried to run tall and massage the pain out as much as I could. Dropped pace slightly and hopped for the best. Mile 5,6 (6:42, 6:42). Took on more water at the last drinks station on Wellington road, before heading out of the park on to Chapelizod Road. Mile 7,8 (6:43, 6:46). The stich was starting to dissipate.

Pace always drops on this road, possibly down to the lack of features ?. Pushed on a banked as much time as I could before entering back into the park at St Marys.

Got a call out from Dick Hooper, on the start of St Marys hill. Nothing like that to spur you on, but little left in the tank at this stage. Mile 9 - 7:09. Wound up as much as possibly but couldn't even manage a sprint for the final 800-400m. Final mile in 7:00, and finished with a 1:07:32 for 6:45 avg and 347 overall and M45- 27th...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/875874213

Happy enough but proving that with compromised training you get a compromised result...

Sunday 23/08 - LSR

Not much to report bar the lashing rain and the lack of lads running from the clubhouse. Headed out with a small crew, happy get anything more that 6 miles, given the residual tiredness and conditions.

Broke off from the lads at mile 4, as they hadn't run the previous day and were upping the pace. Totally soaked and ditched the short and ran in shorts only for the last 3 miles.

6.8 miles in 53mins for 7:53 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/875874240

Wreaked all day and had to go back to bed for an hour :)

Tuesday - Tempo - 25/08/2015

With meetings and calls running later and work, and an appointment at 7:30, I had little time to run after work. Opted for a tempo on the Raheny 5 course, and try to get it down in around 35 mins. Also had to do this on my own as the lads were already out and running longer...

Almost no warmup as I didn't have the time. Started out reasonably well for first 2-3 miles, then the residual fatigue from the Frank Duffy started to take over. Harder and harder to hold sub 7 pace. Finished off with 34:56 for the 5 miles and 6:59 avg.

Happy enough to get some pace work done.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/877904700

Wednesday 26/08/2015 - Gym for light workout, stretches and core.

Thursday - 27/08/2015 - PP Easy

Just landed a big new contract in work, so celebrated by going for a lunch time run, (most others would hit the pub for a few pints or bubbles), just goes to prove that us runners are mostly mad...

Opted for the trails, rather that the roads of the park, with a large group of deer blocking the way in parts of the 40 acres. They looked unconcerned with me...

6.5 miles easy in 52mins @ 7:57 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/879159636

Saturday - 5*400 in ALSAA.

2.2 mile easy on the grass and some dynamics. Just 5*400, @ around 90sec per lap. more a turnover session that a proper track.

Sunday - LSR

Headed out with some of the faster lads, and my usual group were racing down the country and not around. Damo, B Rowe, and Will for a fast few miles from the clubhouse. Had to drop off the pace @ mile 5, as the lads were casually chatting, and I was blowing hard. Still a good laugh and banter for 9 miles in 1:06 for 7:22 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/883382201

02/09/2015 Wednesday - Easy.

Just some easy mile along the coast road and Portmarnock beach while the younger son was in the gym.
    3.6 miles in 28 minutes for 7:42 avg.

03/09/2015 - Thursday - PP

Normal lunch time run in the PP. Normally take a short Taxi back to The Morrison and walk back to the office, however possibly a sign of the times, but now all of the taxi are full at lunch :mad::mad::mad:. Decided to job back mostly to my office, dodging walkers and stopping at traffic lights, not to pleasant..

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/886646765

07/09/2015 Sunday - LSR

LSR with the Lads, given that my normal running buddy JF is crocked, im now running (trying to run) with one of the faster groups, Maria, Damo, Damien and BK. After four fast'ish miles and I got dropped, but after a mile more the lads stop and wait for me, then usher me to the front and continue the torment... Opted to drop off for last 2 miles...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/891854311

12.05 miles in 1:27 for 7:18 avg.

08/09/2015 - Monday - Easy

Just 4.5 easy miles from the house to the pitches and back. Right leg giving some problems.

09/09/2015 - Tuesday - Steady-ish

Niggles everywhere... Opted to do this easier than normal, and just get the miles in. Also running on my own and so no massive motivation, yet a lovely day to run the Dollymount and the coast road.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/892851355

7.1 miles in 55mins for 7:42avg.

Left leg hanging off when I got home, a few days rest is definitely called for.

^^^

Some nice paces in there - must be feeling good. What's the race plans?

• Advertisement

^^^

Some nice paces in there - must be feeling good. What's the race plans?

A, Long time and all that !!!

Feeling reasonably good at the moment, but paces and strength still off 2013 levels. As you can see from the log, im not following any sort of a plan, just enjoying the running with some of the club lads at the moment.

Probably to many steady type runs, and not enough track / LT sessions. Still without a definite goal race and time, the running tends to go that way...

Signed up for the Dublin half next Saturday and the Athlone 3/4 at the start of October. After that nothing else planned, bar a few Raheny club runs..

Your training well at the moment, some nice session stuff in there and plenty of pace and structure (as usual)... I see Rotterdam mentioned in there ???

Took a sabbatical from Boards, but back with a bang now! Good to catch up (virtually).

I seen you at the 10 mile race with Lorraine (work colleague), but I was helping out so couldn't go over for a chat. Nice to see you running well again.

I'm strongly considering Rotterdam for April '16 - but Paris might also be an option.

Week starting 07/09

Niggles and pain everywhere... After the Tuesday steady run, the left leg about the knee was hanging off, the right knee also giving a sharp pain, when standing. Booked in for a physio for the Friday and stayed off running, as it would only make matters worse.

11/09/2015 - Sports Med Ireland - Pain fest with Eva... Worst ever.:mad::mad::mad:

Sunday 13/09/2015

The last few Sundays I have been roped into running with the faster groups and its no fun hanging on at the back for mile after mile. Opted to run on my todd, and do Howth hill for a bit of verity. Clubhouse to Howth Village, summit Sutton cross and back for 12.4 miles in 1:33 for 7:34 (and 500 feet of climbing)... Lovely run, and with the mixed effort levels, and the views of Dublin bay running down from summit, its one of the special loops.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/898266584

Tuesday 15/09/2015

Steady Beach run, got out of work early and decided on the parks and beach run. Nice sunny day and a high time made for a lovely 1 hour run for 8 miles.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/900232686

Thursday 17/09/2015 - Easy

Just easy miles around Malahide on the grass in the morning as I had the next two days off for the house move.

Saturday 19/09/2015 - Dublin Half.

Totally underestimated the amount of effort in a house move, and as a result endless trips between houses, loading the Truck and both cars. The tramping up stairs and back down again endlessly. Lastly trying to sleep in a new house left me is a slightly stressed and listless state before the race.

I decided well before the off, to just run this as a hard effort, rather that at race pace for fear of blowing up in the latter stages. Also the motivation was mostly lacking and the mind on other things house related....

Only got in a 1 mile warm-up, as we were late getting to the PP, and without brekie. Lined up at the back of wave 1 and waited the 3-4 minutes before the off in what I have say were great running conditions.

First few miles just settling in, pretty tight in the crowds running down wellington road, steady back on Chesterfield, and took on water at mile 3 as I seemed to be pretty dehydrated. Miles 1,2,3 (7:17, 7:19, 7:09). Got a big cheer out from Mrs-Drak and JF at the roundabout at the North Road before Mile 5, before the mile 5 marker and the turn on to Whites Road. Out of the park and down Tower road offered some down hill respite. Mile 4,5,6,7 (7:12, 7:07, 7:04 6:57).

Always seem to run well on Chesterfield Rd, with the combination of flat straight road, good surface and loads of support, I slightly upped the pace here and pushed ahead. Miles 8,9,10 (7:01, 6:49, 6:48). Out of the park at mile 10 and back along Chapelizod road and the traffic at a standstill. Still moving past slower runners every few minutes helped motivation. Back into the park and St Marys hill awaited. Energy levels well depleted at this stage and I really just wanted to finish up the run and get home. Last few miles 6:49, 7:22, 7:27. For a 1:33:35 finish in 7:05 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/905528559

Nice to get a medal off AMK, and a few words of encouragement and a sweaty handshake...

Sunday 20/09 - Easy.

Planned a 6 mile odd, but only mustered a 4.7 @ easy pace around St Annes on the grass. Totally empty and not a nice relaxing run , all told.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/905528579

Sunday 27/09 - LSR

A desert of running, otherwise known as no running for a full week. Not sure if the mojo is taking a beating, or the house move has put the kibosh on it...

With the Athlone 3/4 in a week and no long runs to speak of I needed to go long, so opted for a solitary run from the clubhouse around Clontarf, Fairview, Raheny and Sutton. Stashed a bottle and a gel on the bottom of causeway road at around mile 7. Headed out at 7:50am for an Steady run pace (7:30), and lovely sunny weather to boot. Took on the water and Gel at around 8.5. Bomped into JF "driving the 20 mile marathon bus with 12 passengers" on my way back to the clubhouse...

14.8 miles in 1:50:50 for 7:29 avg. Grand...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/912340763

Later got news from the berlin lads that Mick C had run 2:15:32 to finish 29th... Good lad I can start saving for my Rio Ticket :) :cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ah you'll be grand in Athlone, rolling route till last two miles where the pain will kick in:p:p

tang1 wrote: »
    Ah you'll be grand in Athlone, rolling route till last two miles where the pain will kick in:p:p

Id say the pain will be kicking in well before 17miles, Im as stiff as a poker today... Say hello if you see the Raheny vest on Sunday, I don't think to many of the lads are doing it...

Id say the pain will be kicking in well before 17miles, Im as stiff as a poker today... Say hello if you see the Raheny vest on Sunday, I don't think to many of the lads are doing it...

Will do, i'll be just before ten miles at a crossroads giving support.

Sunday 04/10/2015

Missed the Athlone 3/4 due to family stuff, just to much pressure to get down, run and get back in time. Anyway probably just as well really as the body let me down badly on the local Sunday run with the lads. 13.4 miles @ steady ish pace with JF, and the girls. Got dropped around Fairview Park with the body just not responding to any impetus.

Anyway happy to have got in 13.4 miles, with a Gel and Water @ mile 8ish.
    https://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=337808

Thursday 08/10/2015 - PP

Short lunch time run before the board meeting, in some cracking weather at 16c. Just easy paced for 6 mile @ 7:47avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/921842631

Thinking I didn't see you Sunday alright.

tang1 wrote: »
    Thinking I didn't see you Sunday alright.

T,

Was in two mind about the race until early Sunday morning, but just to much other stuff... Anyway as a mark of respect I duly removed the shirt on the Raheny run for the last few miles :)

Some great photos from the race, I definitely give it a go next year...

11/10/2015 - Sunday LSR

Got down to the club late, just in time to see the groups disappear into the distance. Got the Garmin signal almost immediately and set off in hot lukewarm pursuit. Caught the first group after a mile and exchanged a few works with Johnny (the pack horse ) F. Caught the second group about 5 minutes later, again exchanged some brief words.

No chance in catching JF and Maria, as there were out front, running 22m at steady pace. Opted to run the shorted loop and head for home. Finished up with 8 miles at an easy 8:00m/m in 1:04

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/928307005

15/10/2015 - Tempo Thursday.

With the lack of target races, and the on-going House issues, the run volume is diminishing. Reviewed some of my run logs from 2012 by way of motivation and decided on a Tempo on the Raheny 5 loop, to gauge where the pace was.

2.2 mile warm-up, followed by a 3 minute rest. 5 mile tempo, with following splits:-
    6:46,
    6:40,
    6:30,
    6:34,
    6:41
    and a 1.2 mile cool down.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/929090836

8 odd miles in total, with the 5 miler @ 6:38 avg in 33:12.. Happy out...

Saturday 17/10 - Parkrun St Annes.

With the temporary accommodation in Portmarnock, not to far from Raheny, I decided upon St Annes Parkrun, as opposed to the new Fr Collins Park run, which I might do next week instead.
    Great autumn day for a short run, with temps around 12c and strong sun. About 280 down for the run, and settled into the pack 7-8 rows from the front, and off immediately. Settled into a steady run, and nice to run "relatively" fast again. Negotiated the few bents and twists of the park before getting back onto the main avenue, first mile in 6:22. Continued holding my position, and reeled in a few others, and onto the second lap, Mile 2 6:33. Last mile and the 20 minute pacer and a small fragmenting group just ahead. Pushed the pace on the avenue with the last mile in 6:25, sprinted to the line and over in 19:58 for 22nd place and 6:24avg.

Grand for a Saturday morning and first sub 20 5K for 2015... Happy with that.
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/932062993

Sunday LSR - 18/10

8.5 miles mostly on my own, and the fast lads were off at 7:00 pace, so let them at it. just over an Hour running on the mostly standard loop for 1 hour.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/932063006

ALSAA Track Series - 1 Miler (20/Oct)

Never having run track race before, was not sure what to expect. Registered, and got in a short 1.5 mile warm-up on a wet, windy and dark track, with Dave L (DL), one of the Raheny lads, I ran with some years ago.

Race director called for 2 race standards, +6 minutes and sub 6 minutes. I went for the +6min along with the other old lads, which numbered about 20 in total. Also some ample support for other club mates and MrsDrak dressed up like a snow-woman...

Set off and I settled into 3rd place behind DL and Grey Shorts guy (similar vintages to myself), went through the first 400 in 86 seconds, running steadily.

Different mind-set to track running. With road running you can amble along in a big group, not worried about lanes or bends. Track seems to demand far more concentration on pace, position, runners ahead and an awareness of runners behind also.

Lap 2 positions remain the same (DL, Grey Shorts, and Myself), with 800m (809m) ? completed in 3:02ish ? DL seemed to be maintain a very steady pace. I guessed that I could take him on the last lap with a well judged surge.

With 500m to go, a young guy in blue moved past all of us with a big surge, followed by another Raheny guy that I hadn't noticed until now. I now found myself in 5th. Missed the last split(1200), with the added action. Upped the pace, with 300m to go, started rapidly closing in on Grey shorts, expected him to respond, but he seemed to be at max effort. With 200m to go, was now hunting down DL. Got past him with 100m, and now in 3rd place. But insufficient distance to catch the 2 front runners.

Crossed the line in 3rd, in 5:56 for the mile, legs burning. Happy to have learned a bit, and Ran as hard as my training at present allowed. With a nice 3 weeks between each race, there is genuine time to improve with each event.

Loved the idea and the €5 is nothing for a bit of excitement these days...

Thursday 22/10 - PP Easyish...

Lovely run in the PP at lunch time. Strong sunshine and warm breeze, in some ways the perfect autumn run. Took in some trails and furry park also, probably could have run longer, and disappointed that I didn't. These type of run days don't come along to often.

6.4 mile in 50mins for 8:00 avg.
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/934747649

Saturday 24th - FR Collins Park run - Beaten into second by Dave Byrne...

Not to many times I get to put up a heading like that, so might as well put it in bold :).

Opted for the new (4th running) of Fr Collins Park run in Donaghmede, which is not to far from the temporary house. Got down early to a relatively small crowd of people, some runners and some not. The course was a 2 loop affair, and a smaller inner loop, around the park, on a pretty flat course. The park is relatively small in size, with probably only a 300m straight, before having to turn and repeat turn and repeat.

Got in a short 1 mile warm-up before the off. Sized up the competition, with some fit looking lads, and Dave Byrne. So any thoughts about getting a first ever win went out the window... Why could he not have stayed in Malahide this week? The race Director, was going to cycle the route, as it was still unknown to most of us.

Off almost immediately, and Dave moves to the front, behind the bike, me in second, and a guy in Grey (Mr Grey) in third. The first 200m is beside the lake and run on concrete, before a sharp right turn. Already DB has opened a 20m lead and running strongly. I settle into my running and press on as much as I could for a 5k race. After a further 200m, Mr Grey passes me, running strongly but controlled. Thoughts of a third place finish are now being entertained.

Around the back of the park and another right turn, holding a steady pace I listen for an pursuit from behind, and heard nothing. The first mile comes up in 6:17, followed immediately by another turn back along the lake. Some Swans and Ducks look on from the reeds... Mr Grey had now opened up a 30m lead, with Dave B. and the Director virtually disappeared with the twists and turns.

On to the second loop (mile 1.5) and still running as hard as I could, Mr Grey seemed to be the same 30m ahead, and still no sounds from behind, so at least 3rd place seemed assured. Mile 2 completed in 6:26, although I didn't check that split. Pushed on and decided to go for it. With about 600M to go Mr Grey seemed to be coming back to me. I pushed on again, and at this stage we were passing the assembled crowds of support, so I again upped the effort. Up to Mr Greys shoulder with 300m to go, and pushed past. Put in a max effort for the last 200m, to the cheering crowds, and over the line in 2nd for 19:33 finish and a 6:18 avg.

While the title is not exactly correct, as Dave had finished in 16:55, I was delighted to win the battle for 2nd, from another similarly "talented" runner, and bag a decent sub 20.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/938640305

Loving the new found "love" from running and the faster shorter stuff...

• Advertisement
Advertisement