Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Sunday 25/10 - Sunday LSR.

Absolutely nobody down at the club as the Marathon was on the next day. Set out at 7:45am (the hour went back the previous night), for a lovely 9 mile @ Steady pace. Sun and a light breeze and the sea at high tide. Nice run for 9 miles in 1:08 for 7:38.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/938640315

Monday 26/10 - Monday - LSR.

Just 8 miles around Dublin as the roads were closed as part of the marathon. 8 odd miles in 1 hour. After walked up to Mount street to watch the finished from 2:30 to 3:30.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/938640367

Thursday 29/10 - Lunch Time PP run

Again lovely autumn weather for running, opted for the usual PP lunch time run. Stuck to mostly trails for a change of scene. Ran through a heard of dear close to the now closed off football grounds. They don't seem to take much notice of a runner, luckily as the antlers on the 2-3 year old could do serious damage...

Ground nice and soft underfoot but not muddy. Opted for the furry park and around the back of the ordnance survey building for more verity. Finished up with 7.46 mile in 58 mins for 7:46 avg. Fab run.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/945118426

Saturday 31/10 - Fr Collins Park run.

Down for a second go at the new FR Collins park run, after my 2nd last week, hopes were high for another top finish. Got in a 1 mile warm-up, and lined up at the start after the race Directors directions. Into 3rd place, with the race Director, and a young lad in first and second. After half a mile, got passed by a guy in a blue Tri T-Shirt. Held on to his shoulder for the first mile through in 6:23. Got past Tri guy with a mile (mile 2 in 6:19) to go and upped the pace slightly to ensure I stayed in 3rd. Last mile in 6:14, and finished off the run with a 19:35 and 3rd place for a 6:18avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/945118456

Sunday 01/11 - Sunday LSR - Easy Run.

The drive down to the clubhouse was almost impossible with the density of the fog. Visibility only 8-10M ahead. Thankfully there was almost no traffic at that hour. Ran from the clubhouse, coast road, and out to Sutton, with a red sun rising out of the Irish sea. Temps only around 6c and thankful for the 2 long sleeve tops.

Up Howth hill on Carrickbrack road, and the dense fog lifted as I got higher. With nothing but clear blue skies after 250feet, and a warm ish14c. Turned and headed back down into the fog and cold. 10miles in 1:18 for 7:47 ish.

Nice run. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/945118474

Long time no update :(:(:(, down to the fact that work is really busy and I have moved house, and as much as I love running, life does get in the way sometimes.

03/11/2015 - 4*1 (Planned)

Tried for an interval session of 4*1 mile with 90sec off, but a horrible and sharp pain in the right Achilles put pay to it. instead jogged around for 5.8 miles in 45 minutes.

08/11/2015 - Sunday Easy

Just easy miles with the lads, pain mostly gone from the Achilles. bit of banter, bit of slagging. Life is good.

14/11/2015 - Easy run, in more way that one...

First run from the new house. For the last 6-7 years I have been driving down from the old house to Raheny to either run with the lads, or take advantage of the coast road / Howth / St Annes / etc, then drive back again.

This morning, just out the front door and ran... Ran the clubs Joe Noonan Xmas route, which hopefully I will be doing on Dec 20th. Great to then get back and not have to drive home... :p

15/11/2015 LSR.

10 miles, unfortunately house calibrations put pay to an early Sunday run and any pace miles. 10miles in 1:18 for 8:10 avg.

17/11/2015 Windy Run.

Day off waiting for Sky, deliveries, painters etc. Big storm out and stupidly decided for a run. The sea front was fab, with the wind behind, and holding 6:50 was a "breeze". However turning into the gale force was murder, struggled on for 5.6 miles in 36 minutes, for 7:48. Empty after.

21/11/2015 - Clontarf Half

Having done this race several times in the past, in both its summer and winter incarnations, I knew what to expect. Flat as a pancake, out and back course, with a 1.6 mile beach section to be traversed twice, with a soft on and off piece. The remainder of the course offered good (if narrow) road / path surfaces.

Set off in the first group with the mostly other club runners and "young lads". Little or no wind on the out section made of steady progress. Settled into 7:00 pace for the first section. MrsDrak was stewarding at the bottom of Watermill road, give plenty of encouragement. Mile 6ish was met with Gary O Hannlon, coming the other way, with a big lead over another runner, and Ian Conroy (Raheny) in third. Took the turn at half way in around 46mins.

On the return, picked up the pace slightly and reeled in other runners. Beach section on the return and the wind mostly in the face, slowed progress to 7:30ish pace.

Over the line in 1:34:34 for position 112. Happy enough with the big lack of any session and LSR, to have got this on the day.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/964530742

Long time no update !

23/11/2015 - Easy

Trying to find new loops from the house each day. Up Howth Road, Village, Wade Avenue, Watermill, seafront and back up Foxfield. 4.00 miles exactly, in 33mins for 8:16 avg for Easy run.

26/11/2015 - Steady.

Day off waiting for deliveries, but got out for a handy 10K early, out to offington and Sutton cross. 6.2miles in 45:57 for 7:26 avg.

28/11/2015 - Park Run - St Annes

With St Annes being the local park run, decided to drop down and give it a whirl. An odd mile warmup and settled into the second pack. Passed Johnny F, after 1/2 a mile. Pushed on as much as possible, with a strong wind into the face on "park" section. Finished with 20:20 for 6:35 avg.

29/11/2015 - Sunday LSR

Nice run with the gang, and Jenny and Mary W in particular. 9 miles in 1:08:00 for 7:40 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/970823206

November Totals:-

82 miles run
    1 Race (Clontarf Half)
    1 Park run (20:20)
    3 LSR's
    0 Sessions

Pretty poor form really, but to be expected with the house move.

December will be better :)

01/12/2015 - Tuesday Steady

Just 5.3 miles steady , in Sh1t weather, glad to get the miles in.

02, 03 December - Gym

05/12/2015 - Saturday - Stormy Run

4 miles in Storm Desmond, thankfully the Howth road offered some shelter into the driving wind. Turned onto the sea front and managed to get in a 6:10mile with virtually no effort :D:D:D.

06/12/2015 - LSR

Left the house late and expected to be running on my own for the hour. Spotted a big group on the sea front 200m ahead and duly gave chase. One of the group spotted me and "Its O'Hara behind, make the ba$tard work of it"...

Had to empty myself to finally catch them, still great banter and a good hard run up Howth hill and back with the mates (JF, Damo, Maria, Will). Love this type of running :D

09/12/2015 - Raheny Winter League - Round 2 - 2 Mile.

Missed the ALSAA track mile last night, instead opted for the club 2 miler, as part of the winter league. Big crowd down (40ish), considering the storm conditions. Got in an easy 2 miler before the off with Damo.

By 8pm the conditions had worsened to the point where the rain was almost falling parallel and blinding in its intensity. Settled into 11th after the off. Worked to stay with the lead group, but with Mick Traynor setting the pace, that was a hopeless task. After 600m up to JF's shoulder, never passed him in a race before, so was slightly apprehensive moving ahead of him. Just kept composure and tried to hold form as much as the conditions would allow.

First mile in 6:14, some scattered support at the half way point. Martin K only 50m ahead now, and worked hard to shorten the distance over the next half a mile. Up to his shoulder and moved past now into 9th place. Felt him coming back at me almost immediately, but had the bit between the teeth now and was not going to loose that place. Pushed on again at the final turn, and crossed the line in 12:35 for 9th place and another 6:14 mile.

Pleased with the run and happy to have bagged 9th place. The 12:35 for the 2 miles meant nothing, in those conditions. 10-15 seconds a mile on a calm night will bring a more respectable finish time?

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/979163043

13/12/2015 - Sunday LSR.

Bit lazy as a result of my companies Xmas party on the Friday night, 2 days recovery not enough (yes that amount of drink was consumed)... Just 8 miles from the house, up Carribrack road, down corkscrew, coast and back home.

8 odd miles in 1:03 for 7:50off avg.

15/12/2015 - Easy.

Just 5.2 easy miles, around Raheny on a blustery evening.

16/12/2015 - Winter league Round 3.

Started with a 2 mile warm-up, with Sean, and talked about what sports book to get for Xmas...

Lined up with 40 odd others, with 4-5 of a similar standard to myself. Off almost immediately, and struggled to hold position for the first 200m. Worked steadily for the next 5 minutes to get into my pace group. Moved past JF, with 1 mile gone (6:13), and had MK about 20m ahead, and Paul C behind. Probably coasted somewhat on the second mile, not gaining or losing position (mile 2 6:22). Made a decisive move on MK with a mile to go, but still had the sound of PC footsteps just behind. He made his move with 1/2 mile to go, and I responded, same again 20 seconds later. Beginning to tire with 100m left PC moves decisively past and pips me to the line. Mile 3 in 6:19.

Placed 10, in 19:06 for the 3 miles in 6:18avg.

A bit of speed work over the x-mas, should see an improvement over the shorted stuff, early next year.

20/12/2015 - Joe Noonan Club Race

Done this race a few times in the past, and "enjoyed" (got through it) it each time. This year the race was a 2 lap affair, rather than the usual 5.8 mile loop, as the extensive road works, on the coast road would mean running on the paths. N.B. this is going to mess up the Raheny 5 also...

About 40 down for the race, split 15 for the 1 lap (about 2.8M) and 25 for the longer 2 lap 5.6 miler. Off from the village, and settled into the middle of the field, and found it difficult to judge pace, with some lads forging ahead as they were only running the shorter distance. Unfortunately didn't have the Garmin, so just running by feel alone.

Passed a small group of younger lads on the coast road, and then set about catching JF about 50m ahead. On the Howth Road, and closing him down steadily. Had to briefly stop and tie a lace, and lost position to the group behind as a result. Again settled into my running and reeled them in for a second time. Then again closing JF down before the half way point. The lace that I had just tied again opened. Stopped a second time and put in a double knot, but lost more time on the group and JF.

Kind of settled for my position at the stage, with about 2 miles to go, Got past the group for the third time as they were tiring. Good support along the way from the Coaches. Upped the tempo for the last 1/2 mile and finished in 37:31 for 10th place in the longer race and 6:42 avg.

Finished with a 2 mile cool-down with Damo and the winner...

25/12/2015 - Xmas Goal Mile.

Ran up to StAnnes, from the house, and took in a bit of the park by way of a warm-up for the annual Goal Charity 1 Mile. Lashing rain and a bit of wind not exactly ideal conditions for a max run effort down the avenue. Finished in a respectable 5:05, and piped a few of my running mates to boot.

Finished with a warm-down with Mick Clohisey. Stupidly I asked Mick "did you have much of a hangover after the Club Xmas party" (a few nights previously)?. Mick casually answered, that he was actually off the drink as he was heading to the Olympics next year... I swear im never going to ask a stupid question again...

26/12/2015 - Park run St Annes.

Didn't expect much, with the Xmas cheer. Ran as hard as the body would allow and finished with a 21:21 and way behind everyone else.

27/12/2015 - Sunday LSR.

just 9 odd miles with the lads, in crap conditions. Just getting the miles in.

• Advertisement

28/12/2015 - Fat Turkey Race (Howth Hill)

Short warm-up with some of the other club lads, for about 2 miles. Then lined up in possibly the WORST EVER RUNNING CONDITIONS, for the race. The Race started on the sea front at St Fintans Church and would follow up Carrickbrack Road to the summit car park for 450feet of climbing, then back down for the same in descending. Lined up well back to afford some shelter from the elements. Started and held and easy pace, with BK (who was out for a LSR on the Monday, and decided to join in the race).

Horrendous wind coupled with the steep hill made for a slow 7:30m odd first mile. Next mile most the same. Had JF in my sights from that point onwards. Passed by the leaders near the summit on the downward leg. Conditions on the summit were actually scary. With Storm force winds constantly.

Pushed on as much as possible, and caught JF at mile 4, and preserved the small lead over him for the next 1.5 miles. Strangely the wind seemed to have changed direction and was not blowing uphill, so no real resbite for the effort.

JF caught me again with 3/4 of a mile to go on the final downhill. Tried upping the pace but the effort levels for the last 35 minutes has robbed me of any pace. Struggled on to the finish line and across the line in 44:30 for 32place and a 7:01avg for the 10K.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1002977207

30/01/2015 - Wednesday Easy.

More dreadful conditions on the seafront, so just opted for a short 5 miles @ easy pace.

2015 - Overview

Pretty poor year running wise, which I put down to no real goals. My running partner JF has had his own demon's to deal with so no real stability on that front, and plenty of missed sessions as a result. Also the house move added to the excuses (where the box with my runners ???). Probably went to the gym way to much, I think I averaged 3 days per week for most of the year...

Anyway things to change for 2016:-

1. Run DCM
    2. Get back to the club sessions on Saturdays, at least 3 times a month.
    3. Park run at least one per month.
    4. Plenty of races.
    5. Run remainder of the clubs Winter series, and most of the summer series too.
    6. Run a big city Half some time in the year.
    7. Less gym.

2015 - 1200 miles run
    0 PB's
    0 Marathons

03/01/2016 - Sunday LSR.

Surprisingly massive group out for the sunday LSR, with the continued dreadful conditions (High Winds and strong rain). Ran with a few of the girls and Al, for 7.7 miles in just over the hour. Had to stay away from the coast and the waves were massive in the storm force winds.

04/01/2016 - Monday - Easy

Just 3 miles easy from the house to the village and along the coast road. Gym earlier in the day.

Rotten cold to attend with and so no running.

09/01/2016 - Saturday - Easy

2.9 miles @ easy pace.

10/01/2016 - LSR

Still mostly wreaked after the cold, and opted to run on my own, rather that get dragged and dropped from the group. 8 miles in 1:02.

Long overdue Update...

12/01/2016 - Easy

A run that started out being to cold, ended up to warm, as I had to many layers on. Just 7.1 miles @ easy pace.

14/01/2016 - Easy

More Easy miles (6.4), around Raheny and Clontarf.

17/01/2016 - Easy

Still more easy miles. Energy levels were pretty low at this point, hence the boring running.

20/01/2016 - Winter League 2 Miler.

2 Mile warm-up, with a few of the lads, before the off at 8pm. Thankfully the night was bereft of wind and rain. About 40 down for the race. Off and tucked into my normal pace group. Expectations were low given the lack of specificity in the training since the new year.

First mile in 6:16, a short private battle with Johnny F, over the second mile. Got ahead and held on for 14th place in 12:32 for the 2mile and 6:16 avg...

21/01/2016 Thursday - Easy

Easy paced run from the house, down the Howth Road, to Lawrence's Avenue, and back along the Coast road. Getting board of running in the dark ! 7 miles in 56 minutes

23/01/2016 Parkrun St Annes

Warmup and down before and after Parkrun, about 2 miles.

Bit of slagging before the off with some of the other club lads. Settled into what felt like a hard pace, but surprised to see a sluggish 6:29 for the first mile. Had a good battle with Johnny F, for the next mile, at an even more sluggish 6:45 pace.

Last mile we had a good group of lads all aiming for a sub20. I shouted encouragement, and a count down to a 20min finish on the avenue, which seemed to spur on the group. Last mile in 6:29 and a 20:04 (and last of the group) for me, and a 24th place finish.

24/01/2016 - Sunday LSR

Good run with Will W, and a chat about how to solve the worlds problems, mad the 9.6 miles in 1:16 fly past.

25/01/2016 - Monday - Easy

Took the chance that there would be a few diehards doe on a Monday @ the club. Big group, and got in an Easy 7 miles under the hour.

26/01/2016 - Tuesday - Sports Massage.

Sports Med Ireland, other wise known as Eva's house of pain... Don't know if this is the same as AMK's, S&M parlour :) ??? Anyway 1 hour of torture, and I must have a low tolerance for pain, as I was hopping off the bed every 2-3 minutes.
    No running after, only 2 pain killers and bed at 9pm...

27/01/2016 - 2* 700 @ 5K pace.

The training has been pretty stale of late, so opted to change it up on leaving the house.
    A 2 mile warm-up, to All Saints park. Then a short break, followed by 2 reps of the park (about 700M) in 2:40, and 2:14 (6:20pace). Followed but a jog home for another 2 miles.

• Advertisement

Some up Coming Races 2016.

If I write them up then I might actually take them a bit more seriously.

Raheny 5 - 31/01/2016 - Anything Sub 34 and ill be happy, with all of the average training of late.

Bohermeen Half - Early March - Ran 3 times before and would be rude to not run again. Always find this a "Raw" race.

Dunboyne 4 miler - March 28th. Havent run it in years, and hope to get a 4 mile PB on this one, if the training is going well.

BHAA - Dunboyne 5 miler, Great race and I run it every year regardless of the training base.

Dunsaughlin 10K - See above.

Straberry Half - No information on this as yet, however, usually on Around week 2 June. Great race on a very Tough course.

Clontarf Half - Very much a home race now, and will be giving it socks come July.

Dublin Race Series - Needs no introduction.

Athlone 3/4 Marathon

DCM16 - The heart is willing but the body may be weak. Sub 3:15 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Still have nightmares about the Strawberry Half!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Still have nightmares about the Strawberry Half!!!

What, a massive Strawberry chasing you around Enniscorthy :):)

Actually I forgot to Add the 3/4 marathon, to the list above. I seem to remember it passes through Tang country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

MisterDrak wrote: »
    What, a massive Strawberry chasing you around Enniscorthy :):)

Actually I forgot to Add the 3/4 marathon, to the list above. I seem to remember it passes through Tang country ?

No of them feckin hills & the heat!! It surely does pass through Tang country.

Friday 29/01/2016 - Easy

More easy running and just a "leg loosener" for the race on Sunday. 3.4 easy miles to the village, watermill, seafront and back around. 8:00ish pace.

Sunday 31/01/2016 - Raheny 5 (3:00pm)

With some of the lads doing the marshalling on the race, they dropped in on mass to the house for a spot of brekie, so I found myself cooking for 6 @ 10am... Still a good bit of banter and slagging ensued.

We then ambled up to Scoil Assaim to help with the race numbers for a few hours. Unfortunately standing stationery for that period is not the best race preparation, still it was a bit of fun, and more good banter was had. Still in my jeans and boxers @ 2:00pm, and not the slightest bit nervous for a change. Quickly drove back to the house, and changed in the Raheny Club colours. A short jog back to the school, and got roped into helping with the number a bit more, until 2:45. Finally got out for another mile warmup and a few shuttles before lining up at 2:55 about 10 rows back from the start.

Headed off and immediately into the tight left hander, jocking for position with stronger runners forging ahead. Left again onto Watermill, and the gently incline towards the village. Surging mostly settled down at this stage. Plenty of support from locals. Also nice to have the roads closed along the Howth Road. At the one mile point a small dog goes (possibly) a spaniel goes sprinting past and continues into the distance, running at least 4min miles :) Mile 1 6:11. (Way to fast but time in the bank ).

Turned on to Sybil Hill road and the long gentle descent, again trying to hold form and position as much as possible. Towards the bottom of this road there is the 2 mile mark, which cam up in 6:34 (I was paying for my earlier exuberance). One of my training buddies (Jen) was at mile 2.5 and my regular training coach JF at mile 3, (6:34 again). At the Red stables on Mount Prospect Road, we turned off the normal Raheny 5 route and into St Annes park.

Again the support in the park was great. On to the long drag up the main avenue, and you have the fast lads on the other side. I gave a few shouts out the my other team mates, probably 1/2 a mile head of me at this stage.
    Mile 4 in slowing to a disappointing 6:42 (possibly down to the drag, and lack of training). The turn on the avenue eventually came we all upped the pace for the final mile. Caught and reeled in a few other runners. Out and left onto Saints Road with 600m to go, and emptied myself. Over the line (with continued great support) in 32:56.

Happy enough with the time and result, as I mentioned in previous posts, all of the training for the last 6-8 week has been @ easy pace. So I probably could not expect a better result.

On the club front Mick C, got the win and the Raheny Team got the gold :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Over the line (with continued great support) in 32:56.

Happy enough with the time and result, as I mentioned in previous posts, all of the training for the last 6-8 week has been @ easy pace. So I probably could not expect a better result.

That's a great performance, fair play in getting out there and giving it a go.

Time to knuckle down !!!

As mentioned about most of the running over that last few months has been of the easy verity. Average weekly mileage has only amounted to around 20-25 miles, with no specificity.

Tuesday 02/02/2016 - 4*1mile @ 10K pace with 2m warm, 2 min off.

Opted for the Howth and coast road loop for this one. Weather was pretty cold at around 4c, and given that MrsDrak was doing a spot of cross dressing at the weekend for the Raheny 5, and "borrowed" my leggings, I have to run in shorts... Great to see a slight glimmer of light in the evening sky, at the start of the run.

2 mile @ easy pace, with the mile reps as follows:-

6:45
    6:47
    6:48
    6:50

Hard to hang on after the 3rd rep, but probably still a fair amount of fatigue from the Raheny 5 still in the legs.

8.1 miles in 59mins for 7:22 avg pace...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1037675787

Raheny Winter League Round 6 - 3 Miles

With Intervals on Tuesday and the "Five" on Sunday, couldn't expect much. A good crowd down for the longer 3miler, and got in a handy 2 mile warm-up before the off. Have vowed to run this as a tempo rather that a full blown effort.

Set off and watched most of my running buddies disappear off for about 20 seconds, the speed demons kicked in. Tried to hold a decent race pace rather that all out effort. Reeled in a few in the first mile, in 6:19. Second lap JF was well ahead, but did not seem to be pulling away anymore. Settled into and kept form, dodging the odd car and slowly closing on John, the second lap for a 6:33m.

Pushed on a caught J at mile 2.2, felt him coming back, but pushed again. Held this position until the end with the final mile in 6:23 for a 19:20, 3 mile and 10th position. Grand...

400m and 500m reps scheduled for Saturday...

Friday 05/02/2016 - Easy

Easy and very early morning run from the house.
    Howth Road, a lap of the wade avenue course, Sybil hill road, and Vernon. Decided to go into park at 6:45am, where it was still pitch dark, and silent. Very peaceful in the dark running across the park. Lovely and calming run, for 5 miles in 40 minutes.

Saturday 06/02/2016 Club Sessions - 8*400

First session of 2016, so hoped to keep it nice and easy. Coach had me doing 400's at a "reasonable" pace. first few at 85, 86, 84 pace, had me trotting well behind the youngsters for all but the 2nd last rep. Dropped a 73sec, for that one and the feeling of lactate pushed the last rep back to 84sec.

Great to run fast again, and have a bit of banter...

Sunday 07/02/2016 - LSR

The younger son wanted to go to the gym, early, so my normal 8am with the lads had to be put on hold. It was 8:20 before I got going, so opted for the coast road, Howth hill, corkscrew, and back. Fantastic sea views with the storm raging and a high tide.

Unfortunately the wind caused issues on the coast road back. Nice if exhausting run of 8 miles in 1:05.

Tuesday 09/02/2016 - 4*1mile @ 10K pace with 2m warm, 2 min off.

Same session as last Tuesday, and given that I enjoyed got through it, I opted for more of the same. Same loop, but this time with the last glimmer of light still hanging in the evening sky, gave cause for hope for the spring and summer !

Strong wind up the Howth road, and with several cross roads to be negotiated, that first rep was somewhat compromised:-

Rep1 - 6:50
    Rep2 - 6:33
    Rep3 - 6:40
    Rep4 - 6:33

In total 8 odd miles in 56mins for a 7:20 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1045537347

10/02/2016 - Easy miles + 2*400

Opted for some easy miles after dark. Howth road, Sybhil road, and sea front. Passed the club lads doing 400m reps on the seafront at the wooden bridge. Stopped for a minutes to judge the form. Got a "join in" from Damo and Brian, and I duly jumped in for 2 * 400m. Way to dark for running on rutted grass at that pace, so I dropped out and continued the easy back to the house.

6.5 odd miles in 49 mins.

At last I feel im getting back to some sort of form. PP today at lunch for 6.6 @ very easy pace, should be fun...

Thursday 11/02 - PP - Easy

Haven't run the PP since last November, and forgotten how nice and peaceful it can be. Even with the cold but bright lunch time, the place was deserted, save for Chesterfield Road and the streams of cars, with the heat on high !

Opted for the usual, oval of the park, to take in the best it has to offer.

6.6 miles in 53 minutes for 8:00avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1046868469

Saturday 13/02 - Track.

Missed the Club track session due to hangover, just didn't feel the love to run at 11am, and probably no way the body would take kindly to emptying itself in St Annes.

Opted instead for an easy 3 miles on the seafront, then decided on the old and unused cinder track in Kilbarack for some 400m reps. The track is in pretty poor condition these days, with grass mostly covering lane 1. Anyway it was a measured 400m and that was all that mattered.

Rep1- 86
    Rep2- 87
    Rep3- 82
    Rep4- 86

Followed by a short jog back to the house @ 8:30 pace.

Sunday LSR - 14/02

Opted for a longer spin with the lads, that looked like 10.3miles, as most of the LSR's since Xmas have all been shorter stuff. Good bit of banter, but unfortunately a good bit of sleet and strong winds also. No Garmin signal for first half mile.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1051378427

10.35 miles in 1:18 for 7:34avg.

Over in London with the younger son for most of the week, as it was mid term. As a result the running took a break also, Instead we covered 34miles over 3 days walking. No bad considering...

Saturday 20/March - Club Sessions (8 *3,400 with 75sec off)

Down to St Annes with the lads for the session. Coach allocated a alternating set of 400 / 300 for me, with 75sec off. Opted for the 400 to start the legs turning over. Reps as follows :-

400 - 1,3,5,7 - 85,84,83,84
    300 - 2,4,6,8 - 63,54,63,57

Happy with the performance, and felt mostly good after.

Sunday LSR - 21/02/2016

Down early to the clubhouse and met with a big group. Unfortunately the wind was not playing ball, blowing up the Howth road and generally being a nuisance. Opted to follow the crowd into town, down the Liffey to the 3 and back to the coast, to Blackbanks and home.

Fatigue set in from around mile 5, and I got dropped by everyone from that point on. I put it down to the London trip and also the sessions the previous day.

Ran with BK for the final part of the sea front. Got smashed from behind with the bike on the final turn for home. Ended up on my ass for 10 minutes and reasonably shaken, the biker seemed to come out Ok.

It was mostly my fault as I didn't look behind, however that was the first bike that passed us in around an hour, and it would have taken me about 1 second to cross the path... What's the chances ??? Taking a Rest day today as a result.

11.3 miles in 1:29 7:50ish...

Tuesday 23/02/2016 - Tempo

Opted for a historic session, that I had done with JF and the lads many time in the past, a 5 mile tempo on the Raheny 5 loop, with 2 mile warmup and 1.5 down.

Got in the warmup from the house around wade Ave, and to the start of the 5, as an easy pace. Reset the Garmin, and set off just as it was getting dark @ 6pm. Ran pretty much be feel, and ignored the mile splits on the watch.

Ran mostly on the roads, rather that the footpaths, as the dark nights and the uneven camber can lead to trips. I did however find myself dodging in sharply to the paths, when a car approached from behind.

Finished off the session with a 33:55 for the 5 miles and a 6:48avg. Pretty disappointed, as I felt I was flying for the set. Either I should not run by feel or I was unconsciously holding back on the roads, or even the constant dodging to the paths was slowing the pace.

Ended up with a slow jog back to the house for another 1.5 miles.

Wednesday 24/02/2016 - Easy

Just an easy 5 miles from the house, to the village and back along the coast road. Caught up to Christy, on the sea front, who is coming back from the knee operation, but running well. Grand, if cold run.

5 miles in 42mins for 8:10avg.

Thursday 25/02/2016 - PP Steady

Committing to get the lunch time PP run back, for at least the next 6 weeks until there is sufficient brightness in the evenings (I hate running in the dark).

Due to the biting cold, used the leggings and long sleeve. The park was empty yesterday, even the deer seemed to have packed their bags and moved on? Took it handy for the first mile, but decided that I needed to push on, given Friday was a rest day for running.

6.6 miles in 49:30 for 7:31 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1062901612

Saturday - 27/02/2016 - Club Sessions 8*400 w75s off.

Down to St Annes for the usual Saturday Suffer fest for 30 minutes. A bit late and as a result missed the start of the dynamic stretches. Opted to give the remainder the best that I could.
    Coach gave me a now standard 8*400 with 75sec off. The verity in session usually does not appear until we hit the Santry track in April.

400 were :-

1 - 89 - Coasting
    2 - 76 - "Dave Lead out"...
    3 - 81
    4 - 82
    5 - 83
    6 - 84
    7 - 78 - "Dave Lead out"...
    8 - 84

Times all over the place, but at least there were a few faster ones in there...

After warmed down with a good group, and cantered up to watch the start of some 10K charity race in the park. Watching the leading group I would have fancied my chances, based on their opening mile :0)

Sunday - 28/02/2016 - LSR

Stiff as a poker... Right Achilles in pain after getting out of bed. A short bout of stretching did little to alleviate the stiffness. Jogged up to the clubhouse and met up with a large crowd about to head off.

No way I was running with the front group, instead opted for the back markers and a bit of easy banter for a change, until JF pulled along side. We upped the pace and put in a few 7:00m/m miles, before the seafront when I let him off heading towards town, and I downshifted again for the remainder 6 miles along the coast road bound for home.

9 miles in 1:12 for 8ish avg.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 01/03/2016 - 2*2 * 10K pace with 2min off. Easy

Had planned to run the 2*2 session on the 8 mile Raheny loop, but during the day the body was not feeling right. Right Achilles still pretty stiff, and also a niggle appearing on the top part of the foot.

Being sensible I decided to scrap the session and run an easy 5.5 mile loop instead. Dropped in a 7:10ish for 1 mile, taking the remainder easy.

Wednesday 02/03/2016 - Winter League Round 8

Planned (and paid ) to run the winter league 2 miler, but after just a half mile of warmup, I had to pull up and limp back, with the same right Achilles problem, from the last week.

A few comments of concern (and jubilation) from the lads. Acted as timekeeper for the race. Watched a still recovering Mick Traynor (51) take the win in 10:21 :eek:

Friday 04/03/2016 - Gym

Light workout and core, and loads of stretching.

Saturday 05/03/2016 - Park Run St Annes.

Another biting cold day, and a big Raheny contingent out, including Damo and BK. Started sprightly enough with Brian, but after a half mile, he pulled away. I struggled on for the remainder of the run, and came in with a disappointing 20:17 for a 6:34 avg. One to forget.

Sunday LSR - 06/03/2016

Big group out for the early morning run. Nothing much to report bar the 11.7 mile in 1:28 for 7:33 avg.

Very Tired all day after above run, and continued sharp pain in the right Achilles. Beginning to worry about this...

Wednesday - 09/03/2016 - Tempo

Took a few days rest after the Sunday LSR, but to no avail. JF had planned a 5 mile tempo @ steady for the Wednesday. Started out with a 2.5 mile warmup. Then only managed a 1 mile @ 6:40 before having to stop with the Right Achillies again.

Jogged slowly back to the house. :(:(:(

Saturday 12/03/2016 - Park Run St Annes.

Took another 2 days off running, but opted to do the local park run by way of a return to training. The Achillies had been behaving its self for the previous 2 days, so I expected a pain free run.

Started well back from the front, and exchanged a few words before the off with Johnny F, about his superb 66m Ballycotton time (J has a good few years on me)...

Easy for the first half mile, and still pain free, upped the pace and hald on for a 6:30 first mile. Remained steady down the Avenue and around to the half way point, passing individuals, Mile 2 6:29. Pushed as much as I could for the last mile 6:19, and very happy to finish with a 19:50 for 26th place and first sub 20 for the year.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1084603128

Sunday LSR - 13/03/2016

Pain back again, and only got 4 miles with the lads. :mad::mad::mad:

Brief catch up...

Virtually no running since the last post (2 weeks), with the on-going acute pain located in the right Achilles.

I have stepped up the Gym and core work as a result of the added energy, and as a result the weight has being up.

25/03/2016 - Charity 5K
    MrsDrak noticed a charity race in St Annes on Good Friday for Motor Neuron Ireland. Opted to jog it with her for no other reason than ensuring that she actually finished it, never having run together before. Started with the other walkers and joggers at the very back. Rambled up the avenue with herself for the first 2-3 minutes. Even the 10min pace was proving to much for her, and she urged me on. Picked up the pace and pushed on. Finished in 21:02.

Grand to run again with no pain.

28/03/2016 - Brian Boru 10m

Having registered for the race back in early Feb, pre any injury, I decided to "give it a go". We had friends over the previous night and some wine and beer may have been consumed. Again, started well back and jogged the first mile. Picked it up and pace after and had a few sub 7 miles.
    Ultimately the complete lack of any running, added weigh and not ideal prep, meant that I was in a bad way by mile 6, and unfortunately decided to DNF. Just over 6 miles in 42mins odd.

Had a brief chat with Pay Hooper, then strolled to the finish line and actually got a chance to watch the finish first hand. Great to see The Raheny lads then Myles and TRR doing so well...

The only positive is the Achilles is still holding up without acute pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to hear that. I presume it was you at the side of the course around mile 6? If you're who I think you are, you passed me (blue longsleeved top, shades and beige cap) along the bottom of the park shortly before the tree sculpture. Best of luck with the recovery.

Sorry to hear that. I presume it was you at the side of the course around mile 6? If you're who I think you are, you passed me (blue longsleeved top, shades and beige cap) along the bottom of the park shortly before the tree sculpture. Best of luck with the recovery.

Yes, just over 6m at the end of the Parkrun course, no big loss really, as I was struggling to hold on at that stage.

Yes, I remember passing you and another runner in red, at the tree...

How was the run for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Went very well, better than expected.

I deliberately started near the back, and picked my way through the tailenders till I found a rhythm I was comfortable with and felt I could maintain to the finish. I didn't look at the watch or anything; if I passed people, grand, if I was passed, so be it really.

You were clearly in your sub 7 spell when you went by me. I'd an idea you were out of position; even if I was racing it out, I doubt if I would have tried to stay with you for too long.

1:14, with plenty left in the tank, was a fine result for me, a PB (first of 2016) in the bag before I head West next week.
    Best of luck with the running and the log !

Long time no logging !!!

Have been mostly layed up with suspected Achilles Tendonitis for the last 7-8 weeks, hence the lack of posts.

The day after the longer weekly runs back in March, would result in a sharp pain in the right Achilles for 2-3 days after. Since that Iv been surviving on 10 miler per week all at easy pace. Including 3-4 park runs at a steady pace. Really just to ensure that the body kept ticking over.

During this time I hoped that the niggle would just sort its self out with the active management, however it has proved to be far more painful and sustained.

Im on a course of anti inflammatory, with a referral letter to Sports Surgery in Santry in 2 week if the tablets don't clear it up...

Anyway on a positive note, iv been hitting the gym for all of the above period, and now look like Arnold :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Anyway on a positive note, iv been hitting the gym for all of the above period, and now look like Arnold :).

Nice guy.

Even longer and no logging (see above).

Iv been struggling with an Achilles injury for the last 4 months at this stage, and as a result I haven't run a mile in over 3 months. The symptoms are a constant pain (a mostly mild, but still annoying level 2) and general stiffness in the right Achilles. Any running, even for the train would result in a much sharper pain, later that day or the following morning.

I have been to 2 separate Doctors, been on a course of anti inflammatory's, and had several phsyio session in Sports Med all to no avail. I have also been doing specific exercises to hopefully increase the blood flow around the injury, to stimulate recovery, but again this has yielded little benefit.

I have tried to nail down exactly when this started, and the only think I can come up with is the bike crashing into me on the coast road back on 21st February.

MrsDrak suggested that I go to see "The man with the Tan", a specific run phsyio that I have used many years ago, and always found him very professional. After about 30seconds Dave said he knew exactly with the problem was. Apparently the Posterior Tibial was in spasm, causing the foot to be pulled slightly out of alignment, which in turn was putting undue pressure / stress on the Achilles. He administered a rough rub followed by a course of dry needling. By the time I got home the pain had mostly subsided.

I had a few more appointments since then, with a hopefully a final one this Thursday. So fingers crossed I should be back in a week or two. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jazus, shouldn't you've gone to the man with the tan about two months ago!!!!

Good luck with the return to the road

TbL

Jazus, shouldn't you've gone to the man with the tan about two months ago!!!!

Good luck with the return to the road

TbL

Well yes, but that would be admitting that the Mrs was right all along, and that would be giving in wouldn't it... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Good to see you getting it sorted. Corkie definitely the man to sort you (was my tutor during course paying particular attention to Tib Pos) so you are definitely in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Been on the injury list myself so I feel your pain. Last year was out for several months too with Achilles issue and had 5-6 dry needling sessions. That eventually sorted it in tandem with strength work.

Hope you get back on the road soon!

More catch up...

After a few more sessions with "the man with the Tan", and some more sessions of dry needling (including a needle into the right Achilles), I was 95% pain free.

The holiday just past, afforded little opportunity to run, with the daily temps topping 45c. Instead I opted for the in hotel lazy river, and plotted my come back to comparative running.

Thursday 21/07 - Easy

Headed out around St Annes park for a mostly grassy run. With all the extra weight (82.2kg - all muscle) I Felt like a barrel rolling around the paths. Spitting and wheezing for 2 miles in about 17mins. Not pretty.

Sunday 24/07 - Easy

3 miles from the house, up Howth road to Raheny, turn to Watermill, and along the sea front. More barrel rolling for 8:20ish pace.

The running come back has not been as smooth as first anticipated. I have been getting out for short (usually 3-5 miles) and very easy runs (all over 8m pace). However the pain in the right Achilles persists, (not as bad as it was some months ago), but still there none the less.

By way of a log update, I have been getting out out 3-4 times per week, with about 20 miles per week, all at easy pace, with most miles in St Annes Park on the grass. The added weight (82.6kg at last weigh in), is not helping the come back.

Im scheduled for another phsyio, this Wednesday, and hopefully that should further improve matters.

• Advertisement

No point in dwelling on the wasted year that was 2016, but suffice it to say it finished reasonably ok. The Achilles is most mended, however there is some residual pain the day after any runs.

I did manage to complete 6-7 Park runs from early November to last Saturday. The time while not spectacular, did show signs of progress from 23:56 (early Nov) to 21:34 last week.

Also I have being running the clubs winter league 2 / 3 mile most Wednesdays. The only aim there is to keep the average paces under 7:00p/m, and finish with a kick for the last 200-300m.

Also completed the Joe Noonan club race, 6 miler before Xmas, and the Fat Turkey 10K up to Howth Hill on Dec 28th. Both good leg stretchers, with a bit of banter with the lads running them.

Just signed up to run the Raheny 5 on Jan 29th. Given that its the home club race, ill probably have a few jobs to do before the race, so have no expectations for a time, just get out and enjoy it.

If I can drop 5-6Kgs, and get some club sessions going by April, run injury free, I may have a reasonable 2017..

Lastly im officially an Old Lad, and have proudly entered the V50 category :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck for 2017 and an injury free year.

Wednesday 04/01/2017 - Winter League #4 - 3 miles

Iv been making a point of running all of the winter league races this season, regardless or position or pace. More a case of getting out there and having a bit of fun, and a good leg turn over. The goal was to simple keep all of the miles under 7:00m/m.

50 others turned out for the race, with a few of my running mates from days gone by. The large bunch at the start cleaned stretched out quickly, both before and behind me. First mile in 6:50, with smart lad Christy calling a 7:50 instead. Second mile 6:58 due to a lapse in concentration, and a few house on the wade avenue lap still insisting on burning smoking coal (dodging the thick clouds across the lap). Last mile in 6:49 for a 20:42 finish for 3 miles and 20th out of 50.

Still some residual pain in Achilles, and right hip this morning, but at my age....

Just been picked to run in the Dublin Cross Country Masters team (probably the B team if my honest), still should be a fcuking pain and mud fest, bit of a laugh and some valuable experience.

I don't actually own a pair of spikes, as I'v never had the occasion to wear them. Just back from un-successfully trying to get a pair in Elverys, which now only seem to stock generic and over priced stuff.

Anyway 4 miles easy tomorrow in St Annes early doors, and a Parkrun jog on Saturday, should see me to the start line...

Friday 6th January

Out for 3 miles very easy at silly O'clock in the morning. Nice run in the dark, shower, then back to bed for a half hour before getting up again, getting the Dart to work. Nice can relaxed in work for the day.

Saturday 7th Parkrun St Annes.

Just a leg stretcher before the XC, just 5K in 25 odd minutes, ran and chatted to Des for most of the day around. Ran about 200m of the XC course to gauge the firmness. Tried again to get a pair of spikes, but nothing.

Sunday 8th - Dublin Masters XC St Anne's Park

Pretty much the whole club turned up for this one, give we were hosting the event. Went with my trusty trail shoes for the run. Turned and got my number from Dick H, who nicely asked about the Achilles. A Mile warmup with Des around the pitches, which seemed to have firmed up nicely (or so I thought).

5-6 minutes before the off at 1:30pm, we all switched to the other pitch and the start line, which was pretty much water logged. Around 275 runners at the narrow start line, and I wisely kept to the rear. Off bang on time, and a very slow start with the volume trying to negotiate the narrow route. A fair bit of barging and pushing for the first minute. After the first 200m the route did harden up, with the exception of the odd puddle or spot in the shade.

Being a pretty much permanent road runner the feeling of lost traction is still pretty new. Trying to find the best path around the worst mud is a skill in itself. The narrow route was still pretty crowded for the first lap, heard shouts of "log", and a downed tree came into view, offering a nice hurdle.

Great support from the assembled crowds, and the women that had finished their race from 1:00pm. I pushed as much as I could ( as much as my limited returned training volume would allow), but was being periodically being passed by even back markers. Mostly help position on lap 2, and tried to push the merger pace on lap 3, (around 7:40 pace), I got lapped at this point, by the leaders.

By the time the last lap came around, I was empty. The final 400m I pushed on past 2 lads of a similar vintage, but was out sprinted to the finish line by a young 40 year old...

Finished in 28:32 for position 225, with not to many finishing behind. Still a great experience, great weather, good chat with some of the club lads I haven't seen in a while, and something to be savoured in my return to running.

A bottle of bubbles with MrsDrak later in the house finished a great day...

• Advertisement
Advertisement