Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Tuesday 10/01 - 4*1M @ 7:10pace, 2 Min off and 2M warmup.

First proper session in the great come back. As above it was one that was tried and tested before. I elongated the 2 mile warmup to a 2.3 to get past the Killester shops and the road crosses.

Mile 1 - 7.09
    Mile 2 - 7:06
    Mile 3 - 7:14 - Bad part of the coast Rd.
    Mile 4 - 7:02

Was really hanging on the last reap and just wanted it to end. Still happy getting it completed.

Wednesday 11/01 - Easy

Just 3.8 easy miles from the house to village, Called into the clubhouse, but nobody going my way (or pace), so continued on to the wade ave loop, a bit of Raheny 5 route, coast road and home.

About 3.8 miles @ 8:15 pace

Thursday 12 January - Steady

Jogged up to the clubhouse and met up with a few of the lads for a snowy and sleety 6:30pm run. The freezing condition required leggings and jumpers and coats shorts and a t-shirt. Not much banter as we all needed to concentrate on the roads ahead. Still a useful 7.5 miles in an hour for a not easy but not steady 8:05 paced run.

Saturday 14 January - Parkrun St Annes.

Massive numbers down to St Annes for the weekly run. Frosty in patches and the downhill required a easy descent.

Leinster Masters XC - Dunboyne 6K

Got a late call up for this one on Thursday from the coach. Unfortunately the M50 team was decimated due to the non running of Mick and Damo, still commet the hour commeth the man, and I duly go the call. The course in Dunboyne was best described as a rutted and muddy field, still it was mostly flat, and there was little or no wind, bar one part of the exposed course. Had a brief chat with Ian C and John D, making up a very strong M35 team, before the off.

Lined up with 250 odd other runners, and headed off at 1:15, immediately struggling to hold a position toward the rear of the field. With the few pervious junior races, the route was already muddy and footing difficult to judge. The course comprised of 2 large fields with a narrow access path joining them, and some resulting bunching at those points.

Had a few private battles with other back markers, passing a few when I pushed the pace. The support was great from the other team mates with both coaches also offering sound advice. By the 3rd lap I was finished, and just wanted to complete the race, which duly arrived a few min's later. Crossed the line in 27:12 for 7:01m/m avg for around 200th place.

The Raheny M35 wont the team gold, but due to a somebody not turning up, the M50 only fielded a 3 man team so had nothing to shoot for. Still more valuable XC experience and another outing where I ran at my current absolute limit.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1527849188

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Thursday 12 January - Steady

Jogged up to the clubhouse and met up with a few of the lads for a snowy and sleety 6:30pm run. The freezing condition required leggings and jumpers and coats shorts and a t-shirt. Not much banter as we all needed to concentrate on the roads ahead. Still a useful 7.5 miles in an hour for a not easy but not steady 8:05 paced run.

Saturday 14 January - Parkrun St Annes.

Massive numbers down to St Annes for the weekly run. Frosty in patches and the downhill required a easy descent.

Leinster Masters XC - Dunboyne 6K

Got a late call up for this one on Thursday from the coach. Unfortunately the M50 team was decimated due to the non running of Mick and Damo, still commet the hour commeth the man, and I duly go the call. The course in Dunboyne was best described as a rutted and muddy field, still it was mostly flat, and there was little or no wind, bar one part of the exposed course. Had a brief chat with Ian C and John D, making up a very strong M35 team, before the off.

Lined up with 250 odd other runners, and headed off at 1:15, immediately struggling to hold a position toward the rear of the field. With the few pervious junior races, the route was already muddy and footing difficult to judge. The course comprised of 2 large fields with a narrow access path joining them, and some resulting bunching at those points.

Had a few private battles with other back markers, passing a few when I pushed the pace. The support was great from the other team mates with both coaches also offering sound advice. By the 3rd lap I was finished, and just wanted to complete the race, which duly arrived a few min's later. Crossed the line in 27:12 for 7:01m/m avg for around 200th place.

The Raheny M35 wont the team gold, but due to a somebody not turning up, the M50 only fielded a 3 man team so had nothing to shoot for. Still more valuable XC experience and another outing where I ran at my current absolute limit.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1527849188

Yes indeed, great numbers from RS around the course. Kind of threw me a bit, in that with all the shouts you were getting, I kept thinking you were a lot closer (I finished about 10 seconds ahead) than you actually were. Best of luck with the recovery.

J.

I finished about 10 seconds ahead.
    J.

A Jesus, iv I have just of know that, I could have tried a bit harder :(

Some up coming races I'm intending to do, or already signed up for.

Date Race
    29/01/2017 Raheny 5
    12/03/2017 Ballycotton
    25/03/2017 BHAA - DCC
    17/04/2017 Battly of Clontarf 10M
    28/05/2017 Strawberry Half
    30/05/2017 BHAA - Government Services
    14/06/2017 BHAA Trinity
    09/07/2017 Clontarf Half
    23/07/2017 Fingal 10K
    13/08/2017 Rock and Roll Half
    26/08/2017 Frank Duffy
    23/09/2017 Dublin Half

Plus as many ParkRuns and local club Winter and Summer series as I can fit in.

Tuesday 17/Jan - Easy

Just 4 easy miles from the house to Wade Avenue and back along the sea front. 4 miles in 33mins.

Wednesday - Winter League Round 5

Out in town the previous day for MrsDraks Birthday, so a little tired going into this one. Around 60 turned up for round 5 of the winter league. Weather was perfect with temps around 10c and no wind. Lined too far back at the start, so some dodging to get into my pace group. Pushed on hard for the first mile, and happy to feel some added pace in the lags, that was not there before.

Passed 5-6 more over the second mile, and finished in 28th place in 13:03 for 6:31 avg for the 2 miles.

Very happy with the result and an improvement of 20seconds (10s per mile) from before Xmas for the same race.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1476001499

Thursday 19/01 - PP Steady

February 25th was the last time I ran in the PP, so nice to get back there for a lunch time run. 5.9 miles @ steady pace in around 46mins.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1532660509

Saturday 21 - Jan

Opted for a gently return to sessions, so decided that running with the club groups would be a bad idea for the next few weeks until, the Achillies is 100%.

Ran up from the house and met up with the lads @ 8, and run for a few minutes only, as they were off to Sutton cross for a easy 8 miles. I turned off at st Annes, and stopped at the start of the avenue for 5 minute to recover. Ran the small park oval for 4*540M, reps were:-

1 - 6:11
    2 - 6.16
    3 - 6.06
    4 - 6.03

Ran home after for a total of 6miles odd.

Sunday 22nd - LSR

Met with a full club complement, and my old running group from a few years ago. They were running 12 miles, but that was to much for me, so opted to hang on until I got dropped. Managed around 5 miles with them, with a bit of banter, until I had to drop out the back.

A total of 9miles in 1:12 for 7:57 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1538778284

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Can I ask why are you running your runs so fast if your Achilles is not 100%?? 9 miles@7.57, Easy run at 8.15 pace just two runs over past few posts that I've picked out plus XC races and few club races. Your Achilles ain't ever going to get 100% if you keep that up IMO, slow the easy runs down by 20-30 seconds and you might see more improvement in the injury.

Meant in a constructive way as I feel your pain on the injury front and would hate to see you suffering again.

tang1 wrote: »
    Can I ask why are you running your runs so fast if your Achilles is not 100%??

I didn't think you cared :D:D

But seriously, the injury has been getting better each week. I'm complementing the runs with 3 sessions of Gym work and stretching per week, that I don't log here. At this stage i think I'm 90% recovered...

As regards pacing, its a case of we run at a pace, that is usually steady, or the pace that is set down. If you cant maintain then you fall out the back. It call the school of hard knocks training plan... Its kind of a club thing at this stage...

Anyway, are you doing the Raheny5 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I didn't think you cared :D:D

But seriously, the injury has been getting better each week. I'm complementing the runs with 3 sessions of Gym work and stretching per week, that I don't log here. At this stage i think I'm 90% recovered...

As regards pacing, its a case of we run at a pace, that is usually steady, or the pace that is set down. If you cant maintain then you fall out the back. It call the school of hard knocks training plan... Its kind of a club thing at this stage...

Anyway, are you doing the Raheny5 ?

Just take her handy so!!! No, not running Raheny it's the Trim 10 mile for me the following week, hoping for decent result at that.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 24th Jan - Easy-ish.

Cold and windy night, to cold and windy to be out running. Opted to stay off the sea front and instead a loopy loopy round around Raheny. Not much else to report. 6.6 miles in 55mins for 8:10 avg.

Wednesday 25th - Easy

No winter league as the 5, is on Sunday. So just 2.5 easy miles after the gym.

Thursday 26th - Steady

6.6 miles @ 7:50 pace, but felt faster, around the phoenix park al lunch time.

Saturday 28th - Easy

Parkrun St Annes, but I opted to just run with some of the lads, and exit when the going got tough. Managed 2 miles @ 8:10 pace, by way of prep for tomorrow.

Sunday 29th - Raheny 5

Given that it was the clubs big day, most of us were obliged to handle some of the many jobs. As I was running, I did the race numbers so I could nip out at 2:45pm get in a short warmup, that should coincide with a slacking off of demand for the race numbers. Still, standing stationary for over 2 hours is not the idea race prep, but I had no targets for the race, bar to run sub 35mins.

I duly got out of the hall with 15 minutes to spare, and did a short loop of the wade avenue 1 mile route, in the easing rain.

With the expected congestion on all saints road, with over 3,500 runners, I decided to join well up the front, (about 4 rows back). Briefly spoke to a vet at 74 years old looking for a speedy 37 minute finish.

Off we went at 3:00pm, and I ran as hard as I could, to hold position on All Saints Ave, but in a race like the Raheny 5, and 6:30 pace, only 4 rows back will only lead to one thing, being passed like crazy. Speaking of which AMK, says hello, as he “jogs” smoothly past. Just after I passed a fellow female clubmate EMac, who I have struggled to compete with on the Saturday Parkruns and winter league over the last few weeks.

The support from the onlookers was fantastic, plenty of calls of “Come on Dave” or “Come on Raheny”, with MrsDrak at the left turn for the Howth road, shouting the loudest. Luckily the road was closed off for the 10-15 minutes, which afforded plenty of space for the runners to spread across. Mile in in 6:24. I got a bit frustrated at this stage, purely down to running as hard as I dared, but still be passed intermittently.

The welcome left and immediate downhill on Sybil Hill road, offer some respite from the effort levels. Also the passing has almost stopped at this stage, saying that I was now in the correct pace group. Second mile in a slower 6:41, but I was probably running at close to my maximum effort for this distance. Another left turn on to Vernon Ave, ( again closed ), and more support shouts from the Raheny marshals, including JF, and mile 3 in 6:49. The next left turn opened up St Annes park and the short diversion around the kids adventure park, that is new to the course this year.

The avenue offered a glimpse of the lads towards the front of the race, with only a crash barrier separating us. I wonder did anyone skip across for a short cut.??? The avenue does have a small drag built in, and I felt the effort levels again rising, however given I have run so many hard efforts along here, between club sessions and old parkruns, the effort felt natural and normal at this point. Spotted FBOT01 on the far side, flying along.

EMac still behind me, and the short 3-4 second delay between “Raheny” shout said she was still within striking distance of me. This was confirmed when I rounded the final barrier, half way up the avenue, and she was a scant 10m behind me.

I again pushed the pace on the now slight downhill, happy that I was now nearing the end of the race with ¾ of a mile remaining. A few more corners remaining as we exited St Annes, and the pain and effort levels were again climbing. Emac still just behind. I vowed not to let her pass, and for the final time pushed the pace around All Saints Park. Rounding the final right turn, the timing clock read 33:31, so a sub 34 was on the cards. Tried for the big finish, but nothing remaining at all, (which is a good thing). Got a nice call out from Dick Hooper, as I crossed the line in 33:43.

The race is my absolute favourite of the year, and was my very first race back in 2006. Great support, great route (but the old route was better), and just 3 minutes to the house after.

The return to running continues…

Winter League - Round 6 - 01/02/2017

Clubs winter league and a 3 miler to boot. Still some residual tiredness from the Raheny 5 in the legs, so opted to start conservatively. Had a good battle with a "fully clothed runner" over mile 1 and 2, some shoulder to shoulder action for 10 minutes.... Eventually pulled ahead with .5 of a mile to go. Finished the 3 miles in 20:14 for a 6:38 avg.

Parkrun St-Annes - 04/02/2017

Out with the company in town until 2:30am on the Saturday morning and still smelling like a brewery, I towed the line in St Annes @ 9:30. The absolute best way to get rid of a hangover. Ran as well as I was able and finished in 22:20 for a 7:19 avg. Grand for the rest of the day until the tiredness hit me at 4pm.

Sunday - LSR.

Still some tiredness on the Sunday morning, and as a result missed getting up for the early morning lads run. Opted for a different route from the house, to the village, Donamede SC, Baldoyle, Coast road, Borrow road, and then Coast road.

Lovely route and even stopped on Borrow road to take in the sun rise over a still sea.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1563511910

9 miles in 1:09.

Tuesday 07/02 - 4*1 with 2 min off and 2 warmup.

Found this session very hard last week, so vowed to try hard this week. Opted for a slightly different route, as the wind was glowing hard, so to much "coast Road Action" could add to the hardship.

2.2 miles @ 7:52 pace by way of a warmup, then the mile splits were :-

Mile 1 - 7:14
    Mile 2 - 7:10
    Mile 3 - 7:08
    Mile 4 - 7:07

Followed by a mile and a bit @ 8m/m

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1563511920

I think that I hold back slightly with the dark nights, so home thinking that I might trip... Anyway excuse over.

Wednesday 08/02/2017 - Steady with the Club

Just 6.2 steady miles with the lads in abound 50minutes. Wind again a factor.

Thursday 09/10/2017 - 4*390.

This was originally to be a easy 5 miles, but with no club sessions scheduled for at least another month, I though it prudent to kick in a few faster passed reps.

Opted for a flat and straight spot just off causeway road, that was well lit, but just short of the 400m. The straight was important, as I feel that any sharp corners at the moment may affect the mostly cured Achilles.

Rep1 - 79sec
    Rep2 - 75sec
    Rep3 - 78sec
    Rep4 - 75sec

Finished off with a easy 1.2 miles back to the house.

Saturday - St Annes Park run.

Decided to run this hard, but a few friends calling over to us on the Friday limited the hardness of the run somewhat, with the several bottles of red consumed. Still a useful 20:56 and 30th place and 1st over 50 not a worst return for the efforts.

Bit of a gap posting as work is mad at the moment.

Sunday 11/02/2017 - Nada

Started out @ 7:55am to run up the club and meet the lads for the normal Sunday run/chat, but horrible shooting pain in the Achilles again. Pretty pissed off, as I thought this was behind me.

Still opted for a weights and stretching session in the gym instead.

Monday 12/02/17 - Easy

The foot seemed recovered during the day, so ventured out for an easy run on my own, for 6 miles @ 8:20 pace. Savage wind on the coast road.

Tuesday 13/02/2017 - Easy

Much the same as day before, 6 miles easy @ about 8m/m.

Thursday 16/02/2017 - 4*1 mile

A big work day on the Wednesday (drove to Kerry, long days work, and drove back) had me wreaked. A 4*1 was probably a poor training decision, however I have been trying to get in 1-2 session per week.

Rep1 - 7:18
    Rep2 - 7:04
    Rep3 - 7:15
    Rep4 - 7:09

The combination of strong winds on the sea front and the head not being into it explained the poor mile times. Still good to get out...

Saturday 18/02/17 - 5* 600M

StAnnes park, for some lonely reps. Again I will continue to do these on my own until I am 100% sure that Achilles is fully recovered.

All reps were around 6m/m pace, bar the last on @ 5:31pace.

31 miles for the week.

Sunday - 19/02 - LSR

Headed out about 20 minutes later than normal, with a few more twinges in the Achilles, so took the going very gingerly. Also decided to avoid the lads, for fear that I would get sucked into an unwanted steady pace with them. Handy down the Howth Road, and Left on to Lawrence's Road all around 8:00m pace. On to the Sea front and I was immediately greeted with a "Hello Dave, where were you hiding" ? from the lads... Pulled up my sock and got that head down for 3-4 miles @ 7:10ish pace. but no banter...

Monday 20/02 Steady

6.3 miles @ Steady pace (around 7:40) from the house out to Offington in Sutton, back before it was totally dark.

Wednesday - Easy

Just 7 easy miles along the coast road and home, Nothing to report.

Thursday 23/02 - See above...

Saturday - StAnnes Park run.

Was in two minds about this one before. Would the session 6*500 or the Parkrun be more beneficial ? Opted for the park run, and probably the wrong decision.

Seemingly it was pacer Saturday, with pacers at 19, 20,22,24,26,28,30, so no excuse for any missed targets. I instead had the lofty ambition of staying ahead of EMac and DesL, and run under 21.
    Ambition satisfied with a 20:41, and 28 place and 6:45pace. Mostly happy with a 15 sec improvement over parkrun 2 weeks ago.
    Must try Fr Collins and see what that looks like on a flat, if bendy course.

Sunday - LSR

Wide away from early doors, so went out before the lads, no biggie, as the wind was expected to hit in the late morning, so the earlier the better. 9.8 miles, and felt good by the end of the run.

33 miles for the week
    30 for last week
    24 for the week before...

I watched the Alex Ferguson @ the London business school documentary at the weekend, One of his strongest messages about getting the best out of training was consistency, day to day, week to week etc... Obvious really, but when Fergie says it...

Monday 27-Feb - Easy --> Steady

A run that started @easy pace then turned into a steady paced run with the lads. 5.3 miles at avg 7:31 pace.

February Monthly Summary

111 Miles ran - Still a low number, but still coming back.
    2 Parkruns - 20:56, 20:41
    1 Winter League race (2 Miles)
    4 Sessions

Wednesday 01-Mar - Winter-league 2 miles

Started with a 2 mile warmup, on the wade avenue 1 mile loop, with a few shuttles before the off. Settled into a decent pace for the first 1/2 mile. Pushed on from there making up a few places every few minutes. Got sights on JF with 400m to go, but the gap was to large to bridge. Still happy with a 12:52 for just over the 2 miles and 6:24avg.

Friday 03-03

Missed the Thursday run due to a fab meal in Howth - Boquerai, instead opted for an easy run of 5 miles on the Friday night.

Saturday 04/03 - 6*560, with 2 min off.

2.8 mile warmup and a few stretches. Decided on the now familiar StAnnes park loop. All reps around 6m/m pace, with the reps being completed in 2:05 to 2:09. After an easy jog back to the village and a coffee and sourdough for my efforts :)

Sunday - LSR.

Being very busy in work meant that I need to work on Sunday, possibly that's the reason that I couldn't sleep and decided to go into the office at 5:40am. got in a handy 4 hours, at the desk, with a McMuffin for brekie at 7:30...
    Home and out running at just after 10am, for a (all things considered) surprising pacey 10.2 miles in 1:16 about 7:34avg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Dave, are the winter leagues open to anyone or is it just Raheny Shamrocks?

Dave, are the winter leagues open to anyone or is it just Raheny Shamrocks?

Open to all comers Alan. €7 per race, run on the Road relays Circuit. Usually about 50 runners, depending on weather and other mid week races.

A decent standard usually, Ian Conroy won last weeks in 10:15. A few others would be sub 11 regulars also.

Next 2 are 1 milers, (then a 3m) with the last one (Wednesday 19th April) being the selection race for the national Road relays teams. All up on the website...

Monday 06/03 - Monday - Easy

Easy run, of 4 miles. Nothing else to report.

Tuesday 07/03 - Tuesday - Easy

Down in Kerry on business for 2 days, got the train down as I didn't fancy spending 3 1/2 hours driving, and driving wouldn't provide the opportunity to do some work anyway. Managed to get 5 miles on footpaths around Killorglin, that involved back and forth twice on the same strip, and I didn't want to risk the roads around there.

09/03 - Thursday - PP - Steady

Steady run to get the stiffness out of the legs from the train trip. 6.6 miles in 49mins for 7:32avg. Nice Day to run in the Park, some actual warmth from the sun.

11/03/2017 - Saturday - 6*560 + 2.5m warmup and Down.

Had a few pints watching the Disappointing Ireland / Wales rugby on the Friday night, so slightly de-tuned for this one. 2.7 miles warmup, to the St Annes loop. Was very sluggish on the first rep, until I caught sight of Dick Hooper on his normal Saturday morning jog, form changed immediately, arm and legs pumping.
    He had a rye smile on his face as I passed him... Guess I was not fooling anyone:mad:

Paces were :-
    Rep1 - 2:07 - 6:09 Pace
    Rep2 - 2:11 - 6:20 Pace
    Rep3 - 2:04 - 6:01 Pace
    Rep4 - 2:04 - 6:01 Pace
    Rep5 - 2:11 - 6:20 Pace
    Rep6 - 2:04 - 6:01 Pace

Followed by 2.5 miles back home.

12/03 - Sunday - LSR

LSR with the lads from the club house. Got in around 4 miles with them, but decided against the loop into town and the 3 arena, as I was still tired from the session the day before. I instead branched off at the 5 lamps, and made my way back to the sea front and home.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1618389719

• Advertisement

13/03 - Monday - Easy

4.5 easy miles, a bit broken after the weekend.

14/03/2017 - Tuesday - Steady

Home early from off site meetings, and opted to run the day off me. 6.2 miles at steady pace around 7:30.

15/03/2017 - Winter League Round 9 - 1Mile

I Was thinking about this race all day. Have run very few single miles in race conditions, so with only 4 session weeks in the legs what could I drag this old body around in was the big question ???
    The best result in the last 2 mile winter league was 12:55, 2 6:28ish miles. So I would be happy with a 6:15ish on the night.

Warmup consisted of a 2 mile @ easy pace, followed by some high legs, and shuttles. A big crew of quality runners down for this first 1 miler, with the final 1 miler in 4 weeks being the Qualifying race for the national road relays.

Settled in on the second row and waited for the off from Pat Hooper. Unlike most races I was really syked up for this, I was on the toes and ready to go, focased on the "GO". "GO"... All of the front line literally lept forward and within 2-3 second had a 4-5 meter lead over me. I pushed as hard as I could for the first 400m, which is up a slight drag, holding on to about 20th position.

Had my sights on MK, as he is in the same age category and in with a chance of a Road relay place, so I needed to finish ahead of him. I felt like Woody from Toy story running (look it up), all form was gone, arms were all over the place, all of this conducted in the dark, with limited street light. At Half way the breathing was laboured and was that a bit of lactate beginning to make it way into the muscles ? Around this point I got past M, and pushed on as much as I could.

My heart felt like it was about to burst, making the final left turn, with 300m to go. All I could think was not to let M past, please don't let him past me... Got to the final 30m, and Christie calls out 5:35 WTF WTF... is that not 6:35? Over the line and crash into another slowing runner, and finish with a 5:49.

Bloody happy with that result, and taking M down for the first time in the league. The breathing only got back to normal after 5 minutes with a well earned slow jog around the loop.

Fingers crossed I can take another 10-15seconds off this in a months, and be in with the shot for the road relays M50 B team...

Thursday - 16/03/2017 - PP - Easy

Very easy 6 miles run around a windy and wet Phoenix park al lunch time. From the off the left hamstring was slightly sort, after the hard mile last night, so took it extra easy.

Normally I grab a taxi from the Ashing hotel back to the Half Penny Bridge, to somewhat reduce my time away from work, but today there was not a Taxi to be got. Instead I was offered a lift from a kindly retired Solicitor on his way to Connelly station. Spoke about him about running the First DCM back in 1980. Nice to see civic spirit is not dead.

Friday - Paddys Day - Malahide Park - Easy - Grass

Got the text from JF to run in Malahide park at easy pace, as most of us would be running at the weekend (Mullingar half, Redding Half or MSB-5K). Just 5 easy miles on the grass with JF and JM.

Then into Avoca for coffee and scones.

Sunday - 19/03/2017 - MSB5K

Loved this race in the past mainly cause its run on closed roads in the city, and there is usually a big club turnout. Unfortunately cause of the Luas works, the start and finish was moved to the Green.

This actually turned out to be a nice change, as it offered the inside of the park as a pleasant warmup loop. With the remainder of the course being broadly similar to what went before.

Joined the start line about 5 rows from the front, and we seemed to get off 2-3 minutes early. Unfortunately the strap on my Garmin broke about 5sec before the off and I just had time to pick it up before the surge forward. Had to hold the watch in the hand for the race, and was unable to start it initially.

Robbed of pace and distance info, I ran mostly be feel. The strong winds around Baggot Street and the Canal hampered progress somewhat. Possibly there was still some residual tiredness from the 1 miler on the Wednesday?

Pushed on, and occasionally caught individual runners. Did manage to start the watch around mile 1.5ish so I had some pace feedback in the latter stages.

Pushed on towards the end, and crossed the line in 20:24 and place 154, 7th in my age category. Happy enough with that, but with better prep and weather a few more seconds could have been easily shaved off.

I'd be curious to know how the watch would have helped or hindered your time? Any thoughts on the shape you were in?

From the off I considered in ditching the watch in a door way or around on of the railing at the green, then started think about giving it to one of the supporters on route.

So to answer your question, I wasn't think about race for the first 7-8 minutes...

Mad busy in work and not getting much time to logs runs and training, unfortunately.

21/03/2017 Tuesday

8 mile initially @ easy pace then punched on to a steady pace.

22/03/2017 Wednesday.

A short 3.8 miles from the house to St Annes park. Stopped on part of the parkrun course and decided upon 4*300 @ 3K pace. Pushed as much as I could,

23/03/2017 - Thursday - PP - Easy for 6.1 miles.

25/03/2017 - Session.

Still holding off running with the group session for fear ill do the Achillies again, so still doing them on my own.

2.8 mile warmup to St Annes then :-

4 * 270
    2 * 560
    4 * 270

With the Garmin still benched, I don't have any accurate times for these reps, instead the 270 were at the hard pace, but with the short duration very manageable.

The 2*560 a gut buster...

Finished off with 2.8 home again.

26/03/2017 - Sunday LSR.

Picked the wrong group for the Sunday run, and paid for it with being dropped after 2.5 miles. Still had a good chat with one of the other lads that was also dropped after about 3 miles.

8.2 miles in total.

28/03/2017 - Easy

Easy run from the house for 5.1 miles. Incorporated 4 *60m strides at the end. Thanks AMK :(

29/03/2017 - Winter Series 1 Mile.

Second last 1 miler, before the Raheny mile (one where the teams for the Road relays are picked). So a second opportunity to put in a solid 1 mile performance before the Raheny mile on April 19th.

Got in a easy 2 mile warmup, helped with the extra hour brightness, so we could actually see the road ahead. Lined up in the 3rd row, with expectation to try to better the 5:49 from 2 weeks ago. Privatey I was targeting to get ahead of my other running buddies in the M50 bracket.

Pushed hard for the first 600m, with the fast lads already 40-50m ahead !.
    A short private battle with MK, ended with me putting a in a sustained second effort for the mid part of the race.

The last 400m really pushing, and trying to hold position. With 10m to go, the legs were filling with lactate, and I was beginning to slow, and the legs buckling. Thankfully got across the line before collapsing in a heap with a 5:46.

Finished ahead of most of the age category running mates, so happy with that.

Everything to pay for on April 19th so...

• Advertisement

A few other "meah" runs.

31/03/2017 - Run-Mute.

The combined bus and Dart strike afforded me the option to run to work. Luckily its only 5.8 miles from the house to work, and I have an Energy gym just around the corner...

43 minutes for the run in, but lots of stopping and dodging walkers and "stupid F***ers" on their phones, oblivious to anything moving faster that a shuffle towards them. I swear I'm going to take one of them out at some point.

March Summary.

140 miles for the month.
    3 sessions
    3 LSR's
    4 Races (MSB and 3 Raheny)

Ran 25 out of 31 Days...

Saturday 01/04 - 8*400 with 80sec off.
    Easy jog from the house up to the park, and the usual spot beside the playground for the session. A girl from the club was already in situ on her 3rd 400, so I promptly decided to join in. Pretty evenly matched we pushed each other for all of the remaining reps. The 80s seemed all to short.

Still without the Garmin, all I can report is that all the reps were in from 87s to 93s.

Sunday 02/04 - LSR.

Ran with John and Martin from the clubhouse, and a resulting bit of banter, unfortunately they were heading into town, so I opted to turn left at East wall road and back around the coast. Finished with 8.3 miles in around 65mins.

Went to the gym in the village after, as the body is beginning to look a bit scrawny.

The weight is down from 84kg last November to 77.4 today.

Tuesday 04/04 - Runmute

The lads wanted to go out for a big lunch, so any running after 1pm was out. Got in a nice 43 minute runmute into the office. Followed by a good lunch in the Shelbourne for most of the afternoon.

Wednesday 05/04 - Session 5*60sec @ Hard Pace.

Mostly recovered from the previous day, so opted for a short sharp shock. Easy pace to the park, and briefly stopped at the top of the avenue. Then 5 * 60seconds @ 3K Pace. Then easy back to the house.

Friday 07/04 - Easy.

Day off from work, so just 6.8 easy miles.

Saturday 08/04 - 6*400 @ 80%

The body was beginning to protest, and the left hamstring also offering some concern, so opted to just do 6 reps and at about 80% effort. Reps all around 92-95sec.

Sunday 09/04/2017 - LSR.

Ran with the lads from the clubhouse to the left turn at East Well road, then back along the coast, using the mostly opened cast path :P, with the Shi*ty concrete surface :mad:

9.2 miles in about 1:10 for a 7:40ish. Stupid Garmin still broken :mad:, but iv ordered a new one :P

10/04/2017 - Monday - Easy

Just easy miles from the house to the Park and back around. 5 miles in about 41mins.

11/04/2017 - Tuesday - Easy

4.1 more easy miles. Left Hamstring pretty sore. Opted to skip the Club 3 miler from the village, watched instead with one of the coaches.

14/04/2017 - Friday - Easy

New Forerunner 230 arrived. Nice light watch with loads of functions and reliable charge method. Also the stupid touch bezel has been replaced with reliable buttons. A much better watch all round.

4.6 easy mile around St Annes. Got in 2 miles running with Dick Hooper, which was nice.

Saturday 15/04 - Easy

A few more easy miles (2.67) from the house to the village and back. Had decided that I was going to run the Battle of Clontarf, on Monday, as an Easy paced long run, so I could have a good chance of racing the Last Winter league 1 miler on the following Wednesday.

Instead got a text from JF to say that I was on the M50 team for the 10miler, and we were in with a should of a team medal. Since the press is full of participation medals and sadly lacking in real medals, I changed tack and decided to race the 10miler. The Hamstring would be the real issue on the day, that and the lack of any paced longer runs. All of the LSR's this year have been at an easy pace.

Battle of Clontarf - Leinster 10 miler.

Had a few sneaky glasses of wine with Easter Sunday dinner. That coupled with the ongoing Hamstring issue, and the lack of any paced longer run, meant that I was most lightly be the 4th placed runner on the Raheny M50 team.

Pretty much the perfect day for running with Temps around 10c and no wind. Around 400 down for the race which started at the bottom of the avenue. Exchanged a few words with both Sean and John before the off. Off with the group, and settled into a 6:50ish pace from the off.

As plenty of my running is done in St Annes I knew the route well, and knew that with 10miles to be run in a relatively small park there was lots of twist and turns.

Dropped my team mate Sean, after about a mile, and pushed on for the next few miles which were all around 7:00m/m. Reached half way in 35:17. Great support from the non club runners all the way around the route.

Pushed the pace for the second half of the race, and started to reel in slower runners every 2-3 minutes. Caught MW at mile 8, and offered a few words of encouragement as I moved past. Last 3 miles were 7:11, 6:53 and the final mile in 6:29, with a sprint to the finished line, ensuring that I dip under the 70mins.

Finished 1:09:49 for 99th position. Subsequently found that we got 2nd place for the M50 team, beaten by Tallaght. Delighted to get a team medal also happy with the sub 70min. Goo day all round. :)

Wednesday - Raheny Mile

The Raheny mile is the 12th and last event in the winter league series, that is also the decider for the National Road Relay teams. As expected there was a far larger contingent of runners down for the event, in near perfect conditions.

I was still mostly tired and sore from the Leinster10 mile on Monday. Secretly I knew I was in with a chance of the Winter League Division 2 title, but couldn't work out what I needed in terms of places / times, with all of the variables in play.

Lined up near the back of the 80 runner field, as most of the front line were well under 5min lads, and the second line not much slower. Started badly and was lagging the field after 3-4 seconds. Pushed on once the gaps appeared, and got into my running after 30 seconds. Moved past groups, initially and then individual runners as the race matured. Had a good battle with 2 of the M35 ladies, passing one and being piped to the line by the other. Finished the mile with a 5:42, and the fastest mile of the series and a new mile PB :)

Then back to the clubhouse for a results and the presentation of the Lenster10 mile medals for the M50 team. Also finished second in the winter league division 2, and only bettered by 1 point, (if I had only know...).

Lastly and unexpectedly got the nod from Dick Hooper for a place on the M50 road relays B team for Sunday. Running the anchor 1 mile leg. A great day all round.
    I have wanted to run the road relays for many years since I first seen these them.

The Sunday nerves begin soon... The Mrs wanted me to put up the pic :), not me I swear !

http://imgur.com/a/Oig9h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Going well MD.

Congrats on the mile pb and medal haul

TbL

National Road Relays.

One of the clubs calendar events on the year, and attracts the cream of Irish club runners. There were 4 races on the card for the day, starting at 2:00pm with the Masters women's race, 2:30 for the Masters Men, 3ish for the Senior Women and 3:30ish for the senior men.

The route was the tried and tested Wade avenue loop, that measures just over 1 mile, with the format of the relay being 1 mile, 2 mile, 1 mile. We had 3 teams entered in the M50 category. I had been given the last mile leg, taking over from Tom L, on the preceding 2 miles, with GB running the first Mile. The M50 teams were mixed into the M35, so we could expect to be bringing up the rear of the field, no matter how well we ran.

I got in a easy 3 miles well before the off, and a few shuttles on the course. This was a first time in running the relays and the nerves were building all morning watch the London Marathon from early. I entered the change over area with the other 35 odd runners, with the faster M35 teams tagging the next runner and setting off, ever few seconds.

After what seemed like ages (only 2-3 minutes) Tom appeared on the home straight. We quickly tagged and I was off just behind another Clonliffe runner. By the first left turn he was beginning to edge away. I tried to maintain the initial pace, but just felt kind of "flat". By half way the Clonliffe man had a 30 m lead was moving past a few other runners ahead. For the final half I was running on my own.

Around the last left, and I was closing on a Sportsworld runner, but rapidly running out of course. Pushed as much as I could for the last 50m but couldn't catch him.

Across the line in a very disappointing 5:52, for slightly longer that a mile. I genuinely thought that with the event, occasion, and home support I would run the fastest mile of this year at this race, but I came up short by quiet a bit. I body and legs just felt flat. We finished in 8th place, if that means anything. Possibly down the hard 10mile this last Monday, and the Raheny mile on Wednesday ???

Still a great day for running with some superb Raheny performances. We live and learn, and hopefully next year I will be better prepared to empty myself.

Bit of Catching up to do...

24/04/2017 - Easy run of 5.5 miles from the house to the park and around.

26/04/2017 - More easy running of 5 miles approx. 8m/m pace.

28/04/2017 - Still more easy running ...

29/04/2017 - 8*400

Had missed this now mostly standard session due to the Leinster 10mile champs and the National Road relays. So felt the need for speed again (if only).
    2.8 mile warmup, to St Annes, followed by some dynamic stretches.

Reps were from the a first one around 95 seconds :mad: to the last one at 81 seconds ;), all over the places really, still good to get them in.

Then 1.5 miles back to the house.

30/04/2017 - LSR

Signed up for the Strawberry Half down in Enniscorthy in May 28th so needed some longer miles in the legs , apart from the usual 8-9 over the last few Sundays.

Pretty horrific headwind from the north, for the first 2 miles, really slowed progress, but turned at Sutton Cross, and took in Burrow Road, and the lovely beach houses. From there on into Howth village, and up the summit, with 450 odd feet of climbing over a mile. Over the summit, and back down to Sutton cross and home, now wilt a tail wind.

11.2 miles in 1:28 for a 7:52 m/m

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1705739102

April/17 - 123 miles in the month.

3 Sessions 8*400 + 6*400
    3 * LSR's
    3 Races.
    Lots of Easy running

Monday 01/05/2017 - Easy

Easy mile around Malahide park with the lads. Coffee and scones after, and a yap about the Nike 2 hour project.

Tuesday 02/05/2017 - Steady

Steady run from the house to Castle avenue, down to the sea front, and along the coast road. 6.8 miles in 50mins odd for 7:35avg.

Wednesday 03/05/2017 - Tempo

Down working in Kerry for a few days, and stayed in the fab Europe Hotel. Got in 2.4m @ 6:55 pace along the trail to Killarney, before a dip in the heated outside and a view of the "reeks" across Lake Leane.

Friday 05/05/2017 - Easy

Just 4.1 easy miles to St Annes park and back.

Saturday 06/05/2017 - 8*400

An easy 2.8 mile up to the park and down the Avenue, before the reps. All 400's were from 91 - 94 sec. Then another 1 @ easy pack back to the village.

Need to re-start the group session on Saturday mornings, as I have been holding back somewhat on these solo sets, due to the inherent weakness probably still in the Achilles. Up to this I have reconed that it is better to run the reps @ 80% and stay injury free, that push with the group and get knocked back again...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1716975506

Sunday 07/05/2017 - LSR

Big group down on the Sunday for the long run. Started off talking to Will and Damo, but that group is not for me and I got dropped as they headed off at sub 6:45 pace. Opted for St Annes and bumped into Jim and Johnny F, and opted for a few easy mile on the grass in there. Before taking the causeway road and running down on to the beach, finished off with the run along the coast road with the shirt off, back to the house. A Scorcher of a Day :)

11.3 Miles in 1:28 for a 7:50 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1719087622

Monday 08/05/2017 - Easy

Just 3.7 easy miles from the house up to the park and back.

Tuesday 09/05/2017 - 2E, 4*1m @ 6:40 1E

Called out the need for a decent 4*1 to the club folks, but was met with shrugs and lots of looking at feet... Anyway PC joined in for the set. First 2 miles @ around 7:40ish, then the reps as follows :-

Mile 1 - 6:33
    Mile 2 - 6:44
    Mile 3 - 6:49
    Mile 4 - 6:43

A strong headwind on the coast road robbed a few seconds per mile for 2,3,4. Still a useful session of 7.6 miles in 55 mind for 7:15avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1724135674

Wednesday - 10/05/2017 - Easy

4.1 mile @ easy pace to the park and back.

Thursday - 11/05/2017 - Easy

Down in Kerry again and very limited running options in Killorglin. for Safety just kept to the paths in the town. 2.8 miles @ Easy pace.

Saturday - ParkRun St Annes

2.2 mile warmup , followed by the local park run. Jumped into the front row, and off with a few other Raheny runners (much faster Raheny runners). Gave it everything, and finished with a 20:12 for the 3.1 miles and 22nd place. Forgot the stupid barcode so didn't even get credit for it.

Kind of disappointed with that, but the lack of structure in the training of late is probably to blame, and the odd tipple if I'm honest :(

Sunday - LSR

Lovely day to run, and headed out with Ger, JF and Jen. We opted for the summit car park in Howth, so 500 odd feet of climbing, which is always nice. Stopped briefly at the summit stores for a drink, as the temps were climbing (as we were).

13.47 miles in 01:45 for a 7:50.

Looks slower that it felt, but Howth will do that to you...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1732234865

you may think you lack structure, but thats a great weeks training.
    Getting very consistent!

Monday 15/05/ Gym.

Just a bit gym work at lunch time, as it been neglected of late.

Tuesday 16/05/2017 - Easy.

The lads were doing a progression run at 6:30pm, but I was home and ready to run at 5:30 so opted for an easier run from the house, up to St Annes for 3/4 turn, then the coast road, Wooden Bridge, Dollymount, Causeway road and home. Fab weather, but to many flies in the park. also fab in the beach, and with cars banned, most of it was empty of people.

9.4 miles in 1:12 for a 7:42avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1737192378

Wednesday 17/05/2017 - Session 4*600.

A bit sore after the longer beach run, so opted to just run 4 reps. 2.8 mile warmup, reps were

Rep1 - 2:13
    Rep2 - 2:09
    Rep3 - 2:05
    Rep4 - 2:05 - 5:48pace.

Then an easy 2 miles back home.

Thursday 18/05/2017 - Runmute

Historically I've run in the PP at lunch time on Thursdays, which can be a bit of logistical nightmare, with slipping out of work, getting a taxi to the PP, getting in 6.5m and then that in reverse, with a shower in the gym thrown in. It can lead to a pretty long "lunch".

Anyway the Runmute offers an easier if smoggy'er option. 5.7 miles in 43 odd minutes and a relaxed day after.

20/05/2017 - Saturday - Easy.

Easy run with JF, I was supposed to be stuck on the sunday so opted for medium long run, on the Saturday instead of sessions.

9miles in 1:09

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1743465815

21/05/2017 - Sunday - Steady.

Left the house to late to catch the lads running from the clubhouse at 8:00am, and just caught sight of them about 600m ahead on the Howth road. Burst a gut (kind of) to catch them, and duly did at Fairview park. No conversation to be had, as I was bunched. Opted for the same route as yesterday, and around the coast road.

Dropped in a few faster miles at the end, and finished with 9.00miles in 1:07 for a 7:26avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1745484762

39miles for the week over 5 days. Getting back there :)

Have the Strawberry have next Sunday in Enniscorthy, a scenic but hilly half.

Also signed up for DCM last week, as must of the club-mates also seem to be doing it this year...

Tuesday - Beach Run.

Lovely and warm for a run, so opted for the beach run. The body was still tired from the 2* 9 miler at the weekend, so I intended to that this run handy. On entering the St-Annes I spotted The Claw just ahead on an easy run on the grass, so decided I catch him and talk about London the Olympics and running in general :cool:. I pushed on around the park to try to catch him, but was then passed by Kieran Kelly (club 800 record holder) :cool:, once the pair linked up ahead they dropped the hammer and duly disappeared :(

Lesson learned. Dave's Tempo Pace < Olympians very easy pace :)

I duly eased off and enjoyed the rest of the run, with the beach section particularly lovely.

9.4 miles in 1:11 for a 07:36

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1754478291

Wednesday - Easy

Just 4.6 easy miles from the house.

Thursday - RunMute

5.8 miles from the house into work, still some residual tiredness remaining from last week, as this run as more testing than is should have been.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1757353873

Friday - Easy and Short

Just 2 miles from the house to the cast road and back. Just needed to get the legs moving as tomorrow (Saturday) was to be a rest day, before the half.

• Advertisement

Strawberry Half Marathon - Enniscorthy

Not a big race, not an important race, rather just a good test of endurance on a hilly but beautiful part of the country.

Iv done this race for a few years now, and always enjoyed it. Its professionally run by Slaney Athletic club, with closed roads, plenty of marshals and lots of water stops around the (did I say beautiful course)... Drove down in the morning and got parking right beside the start line, on the banks of the Slaney. Number pickup was run efficiently, and had plenty of time for a stroll back around the starting area.

About 300 odd runners lined up at the start line, with everything from Elites, to good club runners, to funsters. The weather was mostly clear with temps around 18c. My plan was to take it easy until half way, then see what I had left and push on. The supporting training had been scant, with just a few 10+ runs and one over Howth with JF at 13.2m a few weeks ago.

Started off mid pack, and jogged for the first mile through the village with the masses. Even in the village there are a few testing hills, and a very steep descent to the roundabout. First mile 7:28.

Plenty of support along the roads close to the town, and the mostly closed roads made for safe progress. At mile 2 an older (bald) local runner, pushed past, and joined up with a "Girl in Pink", 30m ahead of me. Mile 2,3 (7:06, 7:17).

Plenty of country sounds and smells all around. For every hill there was in most cases a steep descent, where care had to be take to not over cook the descent and or trip on the sometime rutted roads. Mile 4,5,6, (7:02, 6:55, 7:27). By mile 3 nobody had passed so I was well into my "pace group".

I still had a view on "Mr Baldy" and the "Girl in pink", now split up, around 40 and 80 m ahead. I would gain on the Girl for every hill and then she would pass me on the descent. The toughest part of the course is around mile 6, with a sustained drag, turning into a hill, then drag again. Took on water around here, and pushed on again.

Around mile 8, another drag and I pushed on and over took the Girl in Pink, I said something stupid like "you need to practise the hills there", which was met with a annoyed stare. After that stupidity, I couldn't have her pass me again, so some added pressure, of my own doing...

Next I had sights on Mr Baldy (40m ahead) and I figured he was a similar vintage to me, then may be benefits to getting pass him, with age group honours at stake ? Caught him on the final serious drag, and was welcomed with a "Good Man" from him... Mile 7,8 (7:07, 7:08).

On the approach to the Slaney Crossing, there is a railway level crossing. Heading towards this I have visions of a train approaching and the barriers coming down, and all run progress being stopped, and more importantly runners behind catching me. I dropped the hammer here and got past 3 more lads, and the crossing. Mile 9 (6:39).

A last steep but short hill and left on to the N11, this part of the course is almost dead straight, and almost flat. With the result that you can see runners for the next mile or two ahead. Took on a last water and really pushed the pace, figuring that a few of the lads ahead were suffering far more that me. Mile 10,11,12 (7:11, 6:47, 6:53). Passed 3-4 lads in the long and hot section of the race.

Last mile and the announcers voice could be heard across the river, only one more runner ahead that I could get past, and he seemed to he having a shocker, swaying from side to side. Got past with 30m to go, with the final mile coming in at 6:37. Across the line in 1:32:57, for a 7:06 avg and 32nd on the day.

Really happy with the race, given it was more of a tempo effort, on a difficult course, with little endurance training before, bodes well for the rest of the year :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1763714393

Will definitely be back next year.

30/05/2017 - Tuesday.

Easy 3.6 miles from the house to the park and back. Was supposed to run the Dunboyne 5M, this evening, however I was really fatigued, both mentally from work, and also physically from the half 2 days before. Had the gear / bag ready for the race and kind of just walked past the car and ran easy to the park instead. Probably the best idea, as I found it difficult to hold 8m/m pace.

May - Summary

Total Miles 151
    Session 3
    Races 2 (Half and a Parkrun)

03/06/2017 - Saturday - Parkrun St Annes

Pretty Tiered after a hard week in work. I had a large system going live, so several late nights and a trip to Kerry for a few days eliminated the chance for running.

Anyway St-Annes Park run is back on the old course. One that is probably a bit faster that the new course? Started easy, to easy for the first mile. Pushed on from there, and finished in 20:21 for 30th place.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1776845333

Sunday 04/06 - MLR

Wanted to go long, but still tired. Just wanted to run to be over. Nothing else to report.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1776845765

07/06/2017 - Wednesday - Session "3 on the Avenue"

2.2 mile at easy pace up to St Annes. Then opted to run the Avenue @ 3K pace. The avenue is .95 of a mile, Reps were:-

Rep1 - 5:54
    Rep2 - 5.55
    Rep3 - 5.49

Then an easy 2m back home.

08/06/2017 - Runmute

Opted for the Runmute into work in the morning as the younger son was managing the nippers football team in Malahide at the end of season football leagues, so dad had to go out and support. Played 2, won 1 Drew 1 on the night.

10/06/2017 - Session 8*400

Easy 2.6 miles to the park and the usual loop. Didn't keep splits for each of thr 400's, but ranged from a slow 95 to a bit faster 86.

An easy 2 miles back home.

11/06/2017 - LSR - Sunday

9 miles with the lads, a bit of banter but still tired after the session, the previous day.

Gym in Raheny after the run.

9 miles in 1:10 for a 7:45avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1792689041

Monday 12/06/2017 - RunMute

Run home after work, Very tired after the recent slight increase in mileage. 6 miles @ easy pace.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1793418895

Tuesday 13/06/2017 - Steady

Beach run with the lads, ran with Martin and John and will from the Clubhouse, to up Vernon Ave, Coast road , Wooden bridge, Beach, cause way road, and back. There is a handy Strava Segment on the cause way road, and I pushed the pace here to catch up to Martin.

8.3Miles in 1:02 for a 7:28avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1795379304

Wednesday 14/06/2017 - Recovery

Short and very easy recovery run up Howth Road, and down watermill.

Thursday - 15/06/2017 - Steady with Hill

Nice challenging run from the house to Sutton Cross, up Carribrack Road, to Corkscrew hill , down then and around by Sutton dingy club again, and home on the coast road.

There is a hidden tap, half way down Corkscrew hill, overgrown and mostly rusted. I think its fresh water, but you can never tell :confused: still needs must, and I took a few swigs, to keep me going.

Always a great view of Dublin bay, when rounding the right hand corner back on to Sutton Drive from Shielmartin.

8 miles in 59:27 for 7:26avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1799291007

Friday - Taste of Dublin on a corporate gig, so no holds barred when it came to the beer :mad:

Saturday 17/06/2017 - Easy

Still Drunk run 3 mile around St Annes park. @ 9mm. Gym in the village after for my sins.

Sunday - 18/06/2017 - Easy

Still wreaked from the Friday night boozs session. Woke up late and missed the club run. instead ran easy on my own for 6 odd mile. Met up with some of the lady and ambled on home.

8.3 miles in 1:05 for a 07:56 avg.

Bit of a while back but ... You got to log ...

19/06/2017 - Monday - RunMute - Home

Office to home along the coast road, with the bag on the back. Roasting hot temps @ around 25-26c. Wind in the face the whole way home made for slower progress.

6.2 miles in 48mins for 07:53 avg.

20/06/2017 - Tempo Tuesday

3.2 miles warmup before and after the Tempo.
    Then 5 mile tempo on the old Raheny 5 race loop, Pushed as much as I was able for a tempo effort. Happy with 5 miles in 33:24 for a 6:40 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1808973030

21/06/2017 - Easy Wednesday

Very easy after the tempo the day before. just 4.2 easy miles up to the park and back, in 29c temps.

22/06/2017 - Thursday - steady

Steady effort from the house to the coast road, Sutton Cross, and up strand road, Shielmartin and then Corkscrew (at almost a walk), then a good paced run back down to Sutton cross.

8.1miles in 1hour for 07:26avg

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1812788098

24/06/2017 - Saturday - Parkrun

Easy warmup up to St Annes. A few of the gang were also running so joined in with them. E mentioned that she wanted to run sub 20 and was going to run with the pacer, decided that the sub 20 was on and ran with the small group. Pushed the pace down to 6:30ish for the first mile and was ahead of the group. Hard going. Going harder than is should be at this stage of the training year...

Last mile I was blowing hard, E and the pacer and Dave, moved past me with 400m to go. Nothing left to match them, but thankfully the sub 20 was in the bag, with a 19:48 and 6:28avg.

Very happy as one of this years goals was a sub 20 5K :D

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1815436054

25/06/2017 - Sunday - LSR.

Bad night of sleep and wake up at 3:59am. Tried to get back to sleep for and hour and a half, but to no avail. Got the gear on and started running at 5:39am. Lovely to run on completely empty roads, and mostly silent environment. Big loop including the beach (strange at 6:50am)... Bumped into E and friend at 7:30. Was met with strange glances when I said I had 12miles already done. A few conversational miles with them, before heading home. Wreaked all day.

14.5 miles in 01:56 for a 7:59 avg. Longest single run in 2 years. :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1817149686

26/06/2017 - Monday - Gym

lots of fatigue after the LSR, so decided on just the gym for the day.

27/06/2017 - Tuesday - Steady

Same loop as last Tuesday, house to Sutton, strand road, shielmartin, Corkscrew, and back down. Strong cross wind, but enjoyed the run.

8.24 miles in 1:01 for 7:26 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1822332950

28/06/2017 - Wednesday - Reps.

Gym in the morning.

Easy run when I got home, but met up with CC in StAnnes park. He was doing hill reps, so joined in to keep myself honest. Managed 8 reps on the "Yans Hill" and to lag behind C for each.

Still a useful 5 miles with .7 hill reps included.

29/06/2017 - Thursday - Easy

Just easy miles after work around the park and back home.

7.4 miles in 01:01 for 08:17 avg.

June Summary

Total Miles 156
    Session 3
    Races 2 (Parkrun's)
    LSR 14.5

Almost Caught up...

01/07/2017 - Saturday - Parkrun 50

50th Park run, given that I did the very first Park run in Malahide back in 2012, and the subsequent 10 each week after, I'm surprised its taken me over 4 years to get to 50... Still with my injury history, its probably not that surprising.

Anyway jogged up to the Park, and got there just before the Race Directors speech. Decided to keep a low profile, and not mention the big 50. Stupidly I did quietly mention it to Johnny F, and he subsequently tells the world, to a round of applause.

Off to the start and, I get handed a big 50th Badge, by one of the stewards, that I have to carry (as its to heavy to pit to my vest). Got talking to Dave F, before the start and as a consequence, but bunched in the middle for the joggers. No aspirations for a fast time today, rather just reasonably hard and have fun (sometimes running is about fun :p).

Pushed on and finished on and finished in around 20:40, with the first miler 7:15, so at least 2 hard miles... Mrs Made me pit it up !

[IMG][/img]c49cYC8l.jpg

CoolDown

I knew that the Clontarf half was starting around 10am, and I tried to get a place this week, but it was full. The route was pretty close to the bottom of St Annes, so decided to jog down and have a look. Arrived just as the 1:50pacers and bus were crossing the wooden bridge. Opted to join in for a few miles @ easy pace with them, as running the beach on ones own can be a lonely experience at the best of times.

Got in 5.5 miles @ 7:40.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1828556670

Sunday 02/07/2017 - LSR

Big gang down to the club for the early morning Sunday run. There was talk about the south side and at least 14 miles, from the group of 8.

Lovely run through town, Merrion Sq, (last 2 miles of the DCM, opposite direction), Ballsbridge, Merrion Gates, Sandymount, East link, Alfie Byrne Road, Clontarf Seafront, and home.

Pace was confirmable for most of the run, JF mentioned to drop the pace for the last few miles, so duly complied with a few 7:20ies. Shattered after, with the longest run in two years.

17.1 miles in total @ 7:43 pace.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1830328147

Congrats on 50 Parkruns - some commitment.

I seen that 5:30am run on Strava alright - thought you were either mad or had a busy day planned!

Great running lately.

Monday - 03/07 - Gym

Was in taters after the 17m on Sunday so opted for the Gym instead. Bad idea.

Tuesday - 04/07 - Easy.

Still plenty of fatigue from the weekend, so took it really handy. House up to St Annes and very easy paced around. Temps around 20c.

7.9 miles @ 08:00m

Wednesday - 05/07 - Hills.

Easy run to St Annes. Then 8 *Yans hills @ Hard effort. One of the very large cruse ships was leaving Dublin harbour as I was doing these, made for a strange backdrop. Then 1.5m back.

Thursday - 06/07 - Steady.

Steady run to Howth. Seafront, Sutton X, Coast road, Shilemartin, Corkscrew, Then a bit of Carribrack road and back.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1839052767

9.23 miles in 1:10 , including 540 feet gain.

With todays run, I'm looking at 55+ mile week, The best in nearly 4 years. Very happy with that.

Off on Hols with my two sons to the desert for a week, so wont be much running, bar hotel treadmills, still a reduction in mile this week in no bad thing.

• Advertisement

Holiday week

...with my lads so not much to report in the way of running. The Abu Dhabi mid day temps hovered around 45c, so running in that would re pretty F***ing stupid. Did get in 3 "stupid" runs of a whopping 2 miles each all around mid day !!!.

[IMG][/img]2n6ke3gl.jpg

I genuinely though I was in trouble after the last 2 miler run @ 12:30pm last Thursday, that was before soaking both the running cap and my T-shirt in the cooled pool before the run. Felt over heated after 7-8 minutes and ready to collapse after 15mins. Guess I'm never going to do the Marathon de Sables :(

[IMG][/img]teaMfiyl.jpg

On the positive side I did get to read "Survival Of The Fittest: Understanding Health and Peak Physical Performance " by Mike Stroud, found it really excellent. Incidentally he did have a section (his Marathon De Sables) around what happens to leg muscles asked to operate in temps above the optimum temp of 38c. Highly recommended book....

Sunday 16/07 - LSR

LSR with the club, 6 lads and lassies in our Marathon group, but I opted to run a bit slower for the first 10 miles, mainly due to cracking my toe on the bed the night before.
    Took it very easy into town, and over to Merrion Sq, upped the pace from Ballsbridge and reeled in the group at the end of Sandymount strand. Took it easy with them again for the next few miles, until Alfie Byrne road , where John F had some well needed bottles stored. Took a few second break to take on the water. John suggested to move up to Tempo pace for the last 3 miles home, so struck out with the others. Really pushed trying to keep up with Ger for the last bit.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1857131540

Around 17.2 miles in 2:12 for 7:57avg.

Monday 17/07 - RunMute.

Easy day in work coupled with the sunny day I opted to split at 4:40. Walked through the city centre to avoid slamming into people. Started the watch around Ulster Bank and took it very handy from here to the Howth Road.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1860094888

Lovely way to get home, and the Recover paced run done by 5:45pm. Healthy Dinner of Scrambled Eggs and Smoked Salmon, and finished off with Season 7 of GOT...

Advertisement