Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

18/07 - Rest + Gym ?

Slight and unusual pain on the outside of the left foot, so decided to take a rest day from running. There was some residual fatigue from the LSR on the Sunday, so no biggie.

Don't tend to log Gym sessions, as this is a running log. But probably a good idea to at least make some reference to them going forward... Just general all over workout. High reps, relatively low weights.

19/07 - Wednesday - 6*400

Easy run to St Annes, and down the main Avenue. Then opted for 6*400 on the normal Raheny loop. Times were on the easier side of 90seconds for most of the reps. Easy home for a total of 6.2 miles in around 46 minutes.

20/07 - Thursday - RunMute

Runmute home, as I was busy for the evening, so it was that or miss the run. Opted for a longer route, up to the 3Areana, and East wall road, then the coast road, so I could log an extra couple of miles.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1865954008

7.3 miles in 57 mins.

21/07 - Rest + Gym.

Dentist visit and 2 large fillings for an hour this morning, don't have it in me to run after that, so opted for the gym instead, with lots of core work.

Saturday 22/07/2017 - Easy

Just 3.6 easy miles from the house up to St Annes and around. Was heading to the Film Dunkirk with my son, so was tied for time with the run.

Sunday 23/07/2017 - Fingal 10K.

Signed up for this as part of the DCM Race series, and had run it a couple of time in the past. Its a fare course and well run as you would expect. Iv also missed a few races over the early part of the summer, so decided to give it a go anyway, even if the training so far was far from ideal.

Fortunately / unfortunately I got a late ticket to U2 on Saturday, so the combination of the few pints a walk home from Croker, and bed at 1:30am, meant I was in no mood to race this.

Still, met up with a few other club mates and lined up about 10 rows from the start line. Off on time and settled into a decent clip @ 6:40p/m. Roads for the first 2 miles were very both closed and very wide offering plenty of space to overtake.

The first water station (around 2.5 miles ) was the usual carnage, I took a quick swig, (as the dehydration from the previous nights beers were making them selves known). Maintained pace rather that trying to push on, for the remainder of the race. The last mile offered a slight drag, but the great support pushed the effort levels up somewhat, for a partial sprint finish.

Finished in 41:25 for a 6:40 average and 290ish place.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1872384917

Happy enough with a fair result for my efforts.

Devastating news this morning, one of my Raheny club mates and good friend passed way yesterday. In shock today, that somebody as great as him could be gone... RIP Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Saturday 22/07/2017 - Easy

Just 3.6 easy miles from the house up to St Annes and around. Was heading to the Film Dunkirk with my son, so was tied for time with the run.

Sunday 23/07/2017 - Fingal 10K.

Signed up for this as part of the DCM Race series, and had run it a couple of time in the past. Its a fare course and well run as you would expect. Iv also missed a few races over the early part of the summer, so decided to give it a go anyway, even if the training so far was far from ideal.

Fortunately / unfortunately I got a late ticket to U2 on Saturday, so the combination of the few pints a walk home from Croker, and bed at 1:30am, meant I was in no mood to race this.

Still, met up with a few other club mates and lined up about 10 rows from the start line. Off on time and settled into a decent clip @ 6:40p/m. Roads for the first 2 miles were very both closed and very wide offering plenty of space to overtake.

The first water station (around 2.5 miles ) was the usual carnage, I took a quick swig, (as the dehydration from the previous nights beers were making them selves known). Maintained pace rather that trying to push on, for the remainder of the race. The last mile offered a slight drag, but the great support pushed the effort levels up somewhat, for a partial sprint finish.

Finished in 41:25 for a 6:40 average and 290ish place.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1872384917

Happy enough with a fair result for my efforts.

I think I was running fairly near you for a while, before the wheels came off out in the sticks. Nice run, especially considering the preparation :)

Wubble Wubble,

Yeah I was due to do both the Dunboyne 5m and Dunsaughlin 10K, and missed both, so decided to just get it done yesterday, despite feeling wreaked when I got up.

Still pretty happy with the result, and a fairly nice shirt...

24/07/2017 - Easy - 6.8 miles

Just easy miles around St Annes Park in memory of Johnny F. Pretty much everybody turned up, including Dick H, Paul B, and Mick Traynor. Words before and after... Including the classic Kangaroo in the leather jacket story :)

25/07/2017 - RunMute

Just easy miles from work to the house, via Clontarf, 5.4 miles in 43mins for a 8:06 avg.

27/07/2017 - Steady - Holidays run

Just a few days in the sun, and opted for an early rise, to avoid the heat. Chose the trusted Quinta De Lago main road, as it tends to have lass traffic. 6.49 miles in 51mins for 07:52 avg.

Gym in the hotel after.

28/07/2017 - Steady - Holidays run

Mostly the same as yesterday, with 6.8 miles in 52mins for 07:40 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1880583526

30/07/2017 - Steady - Holiday run

See above, but found a strava segment in Quinta, and went for it. Finished with 6m for the day and 07:32 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1884220814

31/07/2017 - Easy, with 4*80 strides

Back home and an easy run from the house to St Annes, seafront and back.

Including 4*80 M strides in the park.

4.3 miles in 33mins.

• Advertisement

July Summary

Total Miles = 141
    Race = 2 (Parkrun and Fingal 10K)
    LSR = 2 (17.1m, 17.2m)
    Sessions = 2 (1 hills and 1 6*400)

Kind of took the eye for the ball for the month. Not enough sessions, and poor MLR's also. Still the above was in the context of 2 holidays.

Big improvement expected for August...

Aug 1 - Tuesday - Tempo

Opted for a tempo on the Raheny 5 route, with 2 mile easy jog from the house to the start. A brief 2 mins to catch my composure, followed by a hard effort ending in 34:06 for the 5 miles (6:52ish pace). I had being doing plenty of gym work the previous week on holidays and with this harder pace, I felt like the slightly added bulk was holding me back. finished with 2.1 miles easy back to the house.

9.1 mile sin total @ 7:22 avg pace.

Aug 2 - Wednesday - Steady.

Ran with the club lads, on their session day, but I took it easy for the initial 3 miles. Finished with 5.9 miles @ 07:41.

Aug 3 - Thursday - MLR

Steady run from the house up to village, seafront, Sutton and Sutton Dingy club, and back. Strong wind on the face meant a slower return than out leg. Do love this route for the views and the quiet even in the summer.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1894143370

Aug 5 - Saturday - Park run.

Park run St Annes. Just wanted to take this easy, with the longer run planned for tomorrow. Easy 1.5 up to the start. Off at a steady pace initially, but just got into the running on the second loop, and pushed the pace more that required. Finished with a 21:03 for the 5K. Then a 1.2 easy jog back to the house.

Aug 6 - Sunday - LSR

Plenty of the blub mates still on holidays, so a smaller group that normal. Ran with JF and MK, and a new lad. Clubhouse to Vernon Ave, Seafront, Sutton cross (where I have bottles stored), then Howth summit, and back.
    Enjoyable run, and a pretty even 07:49 pace most of the way around.

Finished with 17.2 miles in 2:14 for a 07:49 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1898988117

Aug 7 - Monday - "Squiggly Easy"

The normal scheduled few miles on Grass around Malahide park with the club-mates every bank holiday Monday. Just 6.1 miles @ Easy pace, and talked about the Claws good run in the World champs.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1901222273

A Solid 53 miles for the week. Happy Lad...

Aug 08 - Tuesday - 2E, 8@MP 2 E.

Generally most of my training up to this point has been on my own, and with DCM only a short 11weeks away, I have decided on running with the lads at lease 3 times a week, as opposed to just the usual Sunday LSR. Which means Tuesdays, Thursdays, and the Sunday, with the more often than not the Saturday Parkrun added in.

Coach had suggested for this evening a 2E 8MP and 2E as the session of choice, however with my .8M to the clubhouse, I opted to do 3E, so we would be in sync.

The pace for the MP miles would be around 7:00 - 7:10. Started off with Loraine, and pushed hard into a strong head wind for all of the coast road section. MP Splits were :-

7:05, 6:59, 7:07, 7:14, 7:06, 7:31

We jointly decided to cap the last 2 MP miles as we both had the R&R this Sunday, and didn't want to leave the "race on the road". Easy pace 7:40 - 7:55 back to the clubhouse, rounded off a hard but fair session.

11.7M in 1:22 for 7:30avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1904134544

Aug 09 - Wed - Rest.

Sharp pain in the upper back and neck region suggested that I can the running and rest up for the day. Difficult to sit still with the park and road beckoning, but probably for the best. :mad:

Nice going on the MP miles. How do you think you'll approach the R'N'R? Is sub 1:30 realistic, or maybe closer to 1:35?

Nice going on the MP miles. How do you think you'll approach the R'N'R? Is sub 1:30 realistic, or maybe closer to 1:35?

WW,

Thanks for that.

In racing I tend to start off conservatively enough and try to build pace over the latter stages. In saying that I stupidly got a Generic entry to the R&R rather that an AAI, so unless I jump the barriers on the morning, I will be in Coral 3.

Regarding time, Id be happy with anything around 1:33...

Hopefully ill get to say hello, before of after.

• Advertisement

WW,

Thanks for that.

In racing I tend to start off conservatively enough and try to build pace over the latter stages. In saying that I stupidly got a Generic entry to the R&R rather that an AAI, so unless I jump the barriers on the morning, I will be in Coral 3.

Regarding time, Id be happy with anything around 1:33...

Hopefully ill get to say hello, before of after.

Makes two of us for Corral 3. On a positive note, it might stop me from tearing off down the quays at the start. Once it's not too windy, it actually looks fairly straightforward until we come into the Phoenix Park at about 7.75 miles. Even effort for the hills at Christchurch and coming up to the Royal Hospital, and we should be passing people for fun later. I'll certainly take 1:33! I'll keep an eye out for you.

Friday 11/08 - Easy ?.

Just some steady miles with a few of the club mates at 8:00am, around the Raheny roads. Had a day at the Horses (and the beer) the previous day, so everything was a bit slower than it should have been.

6 miles @ 8m/m

Sat - Rest Day.

In two minds to run the local parkrun, but instead decided to just sit it out. I tend to run these to fast when faced with a race the next day, so just watched TV with the son for most of the day...

Sunday 13/08/2017 - Rock and Roll Half

Turned up late (almost) to the start, as I was busy making dinner for later. Kindly Mrs Drak had volunteered to drop me to the start and collect me at the finish with the dog.

The race plan was to run around 1:32 - 1:33, and hold a steady pace through out.

Picked my way to the back of Corral 1, where the rest of my Team mates were stationed. Exchanged a few works with Paul L, before the start, and tried to get excited about the impending race, but failed.

Kicked off at 8:31am, and settled into a confirmable steady pace for the first 2 miles ( 6.50, 6:51). Plenty of Raheny support along the road side. Nice as usual, to run along closed city roads, with plenty of space to be had (relatively near the front).

Got a slap on the arse from the "Man with the Tan", just before the left turn to Christchurch. Tried to hold on to his pace, but failed and watched him disappear into the distance over the next mile.

Kept the effort levels steady, but easing off on the Christchurch and Hospital drags. Mile 3,4 ( 6:45, 7:11). Caught MW leaving the grounds from the hospital, and ran with her for a few hundred meters, before pushing on.

Good support on Sarsfield road, and took on water at a stop around here. Great to see that all of the bottles had been pre-opened. A few slugs, and used the remainder to drowned myself as the temps were beginning to rise. The Sharp right turn into Chapelizod, had us heading back towards town, and the featureless "pace desert" along the side of Chapelizod road.

At this point the Half split from the 10K, with the 10K'ers turning left into the PP, and us continuing on towards town. Mile 5,6 (6:54, 6:46). The first signs of fatigue began to show around mile 7 (6:49). With a number of runners passing me before the entry to the PP.

The drag into the PP, (mile 8 - 7:00), I pushed on up the drag and regained the few lost positions. The Short left on to Wellington Road and return offered sight of another club mate running well, around 100m ahead. I vowed to reel her in before the end of the race (mile 9 7:05).

The "endless" path along chesterfield offered little in the way of distractions, with scant few runners within catching distance. Mile 10 (6:41), and 68:56 for the 10 mile distance.

The run down Kyber offered some respite from the building effort levels, however the hill at Military road beckoned. One of the coached is always positioned at this point, and sure enough he PB was here shouting encouragement. Mile 11 (6:48).

At this point I just wanted to finish, and cramp was beginning to make its self known. Took on more water at the pit stop before St Marys. Good to run through the 10K finish here at St Marys, and push the pace somewhat. As per usual Disk Hooper was stationed at the top of the hill offering encouragement. Weakly pushed on again. Mile 12 - 7:08.

Vainly tried to catch LB over the last mile, and right turn back onto Chesterfield. Last mile in 6:49. Pushed the last bit, and over the line in 1:30:46 for a 6:53 avg pace.

Very happy with the result and my fastest Half since 2013.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1913068643

Exchanged a few words with AMK (Solid time there for a session), and posed for the Raheny Group Photo.

Wanted to have a 2-3 mile warm down, but given the Mrs and the Dog were good enough to support me, I decided against it and head for home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Friday 11/08 - Easy ?.

Just some steady miles with a few of the club mates at 8:00am, around the Raheny roads. Had a day at the Horses (and the beer) the previous day, so everything was a bit slower than it should have been.

6 miles @ 8m/m

Sat - Rest Day.

In two minds to run the local parkrun, but instead decided to just sit it out. I tend to run these to fast when faced with a race the next day, so just watched TV with the son for most of the day...

Sunday 13/08/2017 - Rock and Roll Half

Turned up late (almost) to the start, as I was busy making dinner for later. Kindly Mrs Drak had volunteered to drop me to the start and collect me at the finish with the dog.

The race plan was to run around 1:32 - 1:33, and hold a steady pace through out.

Picked my way to the back of Corral 1, where the rest of my Team mates were stationed. Exchanged a few works with Paul L, before the start, and tried to get excited about the impending race, but failed.

Kicked off at 8:31am, and settled into a confirmable steady pace for the first 2 miles ( 6.50, 6:51). Plenty of Raheny support along the road side. Nice as usual, to run along closed city roads, with plenty of space to be had (relatively near the front).

Got a slap on the arse from the "Man with the Tan", just before the left turn to Christchurch. Tried to hold on to his pace, but failed and watched him disappear into the distance over the next mile.

Kept the effort levels steady, but easing off on the Christchurch and Hospital drags. Mile 3,4 ( 6:45, 7:11). Caught MW leaving the grounds from the hospital, and ran with her for a few hundred meters, before pushing on.

Good support on Sarsfield road, and took on water at a stop around here. Great to see that all of the bottles had been pre-opened. A few slugs, and used the remainder to drowned myself as the temps were beginning to rise. The Sharp right turn into Chapelizod, had us heading back towards town, and the featureless "pace desert" along the side of Chapelizod road.

At this point the Half split from the 10K, with the 10K'ers turning left into the PP, and us continuing on towards town. Mile 5,6 (6:54, 6:46). The first signs of fatigue began to show around mile 7 (6:49). With a number of runners passing me before the entry to the PP.

The drag into the PP, (mile 8 - 7:00), I pushed on up the drag and regained the few lost positions. The Short left on to Wellington Road and return offered sight of another club mate running well, around 100m ahead. I vowed to reel her in before the end of the race (mile 9 7:05).

The "endless" path along chesterfield offered little in the way of distractions, with scant few runners within catching distance. Mile 10 (6:41), and 68:56 for the 10 mile distance.

The run down Kyber offered some respite from the building effort levels, however the hill at Military road beckoned. One of the coached is always positioned at this point, and sure enough he PB was here shouting encouragement. Mile 11 (6:48).

At this point I just wanted to finish, and cramp was beginning to make its self known. Took on more water at the pit stop before St Marys. Good to run through the 10K finish here at St Marys, and push the pace somewhat. As per usual Disk Hooper was stationed at the top of the hill offering encouragement. Weakly pushed on again. Mile 12 - 7:08.

Vainly tried to catch LB over the last mile, and right turn back onto Chesterfield. Last mile in 6:49. Pushed the last bit, and over the line in 1:30:46 for a 6:53 avg pace.

Exchanged a few words with AMK (Solid time there for a session), and posed for the Raheny Group Photo.

Wanted to have a 2-3 mile warm down, but given the Mrs and the Dog were good enough to support me, I decided against it and head for home.

Great race

Well done

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good support on Sarsfield road, and took on water at a stop around here. Great to see that all of the bottles had been pre-opened.

we aim to please :)

And so you should be, that's a brilliant result! I think I passed you on East Wall Road beforehand? I was doing some strides there with two clubmates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I never touched you :pac: :pac:

Monday 14/08/2017 - Easy

Lashing rain, and considered binning the run, but sense prevailed and I got out for 4.1 miles @ easy pace. Soaked after.

Tuesday 15/08/2017 - Easy

Still tired after the R&R, as a result there was no way that I was going to do the Session 2E + 8MP + 2E. Also had relation in @ 7:30 and I'm the cook in the house, so needed to get the run completed ASAP. Opted for a mostly easy paced run from the housie to Offington, Howth hill (half) Sutton, and sea front. Stopped briefly on Sutton Strand to admire Dublin bay at high tide with the waved crashing in.

Finished with 8.4 miles in 64mins @ 7:41avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1918420043

Wednesday 16/08/2017 - Hills

3 miles easy, up to St Annes, then 6*100m on "Yans Hills" (the Chinese beside the hill (Used to be Wongs). Then 1.5 miles home.

5.5 miles in 43mins for 7:42 avg.

Thursday 17/08/2017 - MP Miles (in my dreams)...

Was scheduled to head out with the Mrs for a spot of local dinner, so needed to get the miles in early, so running with the lads was out. Opted for 2E 6MP, 2E from the house to Vernon, Seafront and the two churches.

The MP mile started at the middle of Vernon Ave, until the return from Sutton Cross. a solid 5 odd miles without distraction, splits were:-

7:11, 7:11, 7:05, 7:08, 7:10, 7:10.

Really hanging on towards the end of the MP miles, I suspect that there some R&R remaining in the legs.

Saturday 19/08/2017 - Parkrun StAnnes

Kind of standard Saturday at this stage. Short and easy to St Annes parkrun, where the VHI had a large road show setup. Tents, Drinks, Bean Bags ???, and Fruit for after. Also David Gillic and Mick Clohisey were the guest runners for the day. I had vowed to run this easy and finish around 22:00 with the LSR scheduled for the next day. But the chance to pass 2 Olympians was just to great (as they were running easy), and passed them, after about 1 mile. Pushed on with some of my running mates to finish in 20:20.

Nice to get water and fruit after... Still annoys me then when something is free that people take 3-4 of everything.. Seriously why... Its F** water... :mad::mad:

Sunday LSR

Big group of 30+ down for this at all levels. Ran with the usual lads, and were fractured after 5-6 miles. Sea front, Sutton, and all the way to the top of Howth (550 feet of climbing). Had some funds to get a bottle at the stores at the car park. Some faster mile on the way back down. Finished with 17.5m in 2:15 for 7:45avg pace.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1927036758

53 miles for the week.

Monday 21/08 - Easy

Discovered a HRM from a previous Garmin in a box in the house !, decided to give it a whirl, without knowing much about how to calibrate it properly. Went for an easy 5.5 mile from the house to St Annes, and back along the Sea front. Had an average heart rate of 181 for the easy paced 8:02 m/m run ???

Should I be dead ?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1930043217

Tuesday 22/08/2017 - Easy

Ran with the lads for another easy run. Fatigue had been building for the last few days, with the 6 day run schedule, the LSR on Sundays, the last bit of fatigue for a very hard R&R last week, and also 2-3 days of restless sleep. Just glad to get it done and get home.

6.9miles in 55mins for 7:58avg.

Wed - Rest Day. - Did nothing, had a great sleep :)

Thursday - Runmute

Easy Runmute into work, as one of my work colleagues is now also 50, and I've been working with him since collage. So no way I would able to dodge a liquid lunch and pints after. So the Runmute would be the one bit of exercise for the day.

5.6 Miles in 43mins for 7:46 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1935347372

Another Lunch booked for tomorrow (Friday) with the Mrs, so the resulting Frank Duffy is now looking like a Steady run for me. Ill have to dodge the coaches around the course.

Just lost my Frank Duffy Race report. Browser said something about an invalid token ?

Not going to re do it now... Suffice it to say it was a hungover run, that I just managed to finish in under 70mins. Said hello to AMK at the start.

Watched McGregor fight on Sat / Sunday morning and got out for possibly one of my tiredst runs ever, where I ran with Damo and a blind man !.

7.5 miles in an hour !.

• Advertisement

let me write it for you - it'll be the same as all the other FD reports that I've seen

1st few miles felt ok, the SBends hurt - by mile 4 I was knackered, wind on the acres was brutal, the usual upper glen road finish was terrible, bit of a sprint finish at the end.

:)

27/08/2017 - Sunday - Easy

Just easy miles with the lads after Frank Duffy. Had watched the McGregor Fight so was rightly knackered for this run. Just managed 7.5 miles @ 0754 pace.

28/08/2017 - Monday - Easy

More easy miles with JF and MK, in the lashing rain around St Annes. Stupidly I work the Adidas Boosts, and has nursing a sore right Achilles 3-4 hours after the run. Just 5.2 miles in 41mins.

29/08/2017 - Tuesday - 2E, 6MP, 2E

I have to stop calling this MP miles, as there is not a hope that ill be able to run at MP miles at this pace. A mile easy to the clubhouse, where I met up with JF, he was raring to go. Tempo miles 2-9 were:-

7:23, 7:02, 7:05, 6:53, 6:58, 7:03

Followed by 2 miles around 8:00. Finished off with 10miles exactly in 1:14 for 7:26 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1939504646

30/08/2017 - Wednesday - Steady.

Most of the group are running their MP day on Wednesday as opposed to my Tuesday. So while was not going to be running with them at their pace, I did opt to get in a few steady miles, from the Clubhouse to seafront and Corkscrew hill.

Finished off with 7.3miles @ 7:46 avg.

31/08/2017 - Thursday - Easy.

Just 7.6 easy miles to St Annes. Got passed by Freddy, tried to hold on, but just rinsed myself...

A fair amount of fatigue this week, glad of the rest day Friday.

Aug Summary

2 Parkruns
    2 Races including R&R and a 1:30 (fastest in 4 years)
    2 LSR's (both > 17m) other compromised by the R&R and FD
    1 Hills
    203 miles in the month (second highest ever)

Not enough session miles or shorts...

02/09/2017 - Saturday - Easy

Just 3.4 easy miles from the house to St Annes Park and Seafront. Dull pain and stiffness in both Knees (equally) on both the Friday and Saturday. Opted for an Ice bath both days. Was ready for "dancing" after.

03/09/2017 - Sunday - LSR

Pain mostly gone, however with 20 planned it would probably return for the afternoon. A massive turnout at the clubhouse, at least 60 runners of differing abilities. I headed off in the second cohort with a younger runner (Kind of a Yoda, Luke thingy) for the duration of the run. Headed into town, and Ballsbridge, Merion Gates. Mostly sheltered from the elements. Stopped for water at Michael Grant Motors in Irish Town, and preceded over the east link, 3 Arena, and Coast road.

Had to contend with the full force of the gale and rain at Clontarf on the coast road, which made this part of the run miserable. Had to ring out the running top several times, to keep the weight down. Finished off with 20miles in 2:36 for a 7:45avg pace.

Some cramp and general tiredness from 18M onward, but that is probably to be expected with the longest run in 4 years.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1955408108

04/09/2017 - Easy (and Short).

Was totally empty after the LSR the day before, so much so that I asked the Mrs for a lift up to St Anne's and a run on the grass, further limit the jarring to the knees and joints. Just 4.5 miles @ 8+m/m.

05/09/2017 - Easy (and shorter).

Some cause for concern and the pain in both knees had not abated, and the tiredness level much the same, as the day before. The body felt like it was beginning to breaking down, 3.2 whole miles in the park and back @ slow pace.

Decided to get a short and light Gym session might improve matters. Seemed to do the trick, and felt better after.

06/09/2017 - Steady

Wanted this to be 2E, 6MP 2E, but fell off the pace once I hit Sutton and the first drag. Held on at a relatively steady pace for the remainder. Happy with the 3 Miles @ (6:58, 7:02, 7:13), not as happy with the other @ 7:30ish.

A total of 9.2 in 1:08 for 7:24avg.

07/09/2017 - RunMute

Had a thing on later so opted to run into work. Also had an important meeting scheduled for 9:30am, so I timed the run so I just get before with ample time to have a shower and get changed well before. They were 30 odd minutes early and caught me entering the office in a puddle of sweat (as I had pushed the pace in to ensure I was extra early) :mad: Still Meeting went well, if a little sweaty on my behalf.

6.6 miles in 45mins

09/09/2017 - Parkrun St-Annes.

Just a leg stretcher and a chance to catch up with the lads. With the long miles planned for the Sunday, I started well back in the mid pack, hoping that I would limit myself to an easer run. Took it handy for first mile 7:16, pushed on mile 2 6:43, and stupidly ran hard for the last mile 6:32 to catch a few of my club lads. Finished in 20:40ish for 22nd place, but was rewarded with an "Unknown" along with 6-7 others for my efforts, as the scanner seemed to be on the fritz.

10/09/2017 - LSR.

Was planning 21m for this, and a long trip over to the south side, to get in the miles. The lads had bottles stored at 3 separate locations around (changed north side ) route, and I took full advantage of their generosity this time (as I had been the bottle gimp for the last 2 weeks). Also took a gel with me for the mid point.

Good chat and a great laugh until the tirnedss took over after mile 14. Also put in a few faster miles in the middle, to try to catch MK and SMcG.

Howth hill was not really welcome at mile 15m, still its was good to put in several hundred feet of climbing at that stage of a long run. Totally empty at the end but glad to get it done. Longest run in 4 years.

Finished with 21.12 miles in 2:42 for a 7:41 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1968913406

Monday - 11/09 - Easy.

Went to the Gym at lunch time, as I did find this beneficially last week with the overall recovery. The LSR tiredness seemed to fade faster on the Tuesday after the Gym session. Also most external meetings now start with the line "Jesus Dave at you ok, your looking a bit sick at the moment"?

After work opted for 5.6 easy miles around StAnnes, and back along the coast road.

Tuesday - 12/09 - Easy.

Shi**y weather, so put on the leggings and a long sleeve top for the run. Also decided (wisely) to "conserve" my DCM Asics runners, and use an old pair of ??? Asics blue ones...

Completed 7.2 miles on the grass and mud, with the runners only fit for the bin after.

Wednesday - 13/09 - 2Easy, 6Hard, 2Steady

I was running this without strict adherence to the paces, rather just run on feel and see where I would get. First 2 miles down the Howth Road. @ 7:50, 7:32, not exactly easy, but felt grand.
    Next 6 miles were :-
    6:59, 6:52, 6:47, 6:42, 6:47, 6:45. I was pushing hard for the last 2 of these, but it was manageable.
    Last two were 7:27, 7:25, which felt easy after the faster paces.

Overall a good session, would have loved to run this without a belly full of pasta and desert and I could have probably carried on for another 2 hard miles, but I do love my food to much :pac::pac:

10miles in 1:11 for 7:07 avg...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1975640139

Thursday - 14/09/17 - Steady (at that pace?)

With the hard paced run the previous day, just getting my ass out for this proved to be difficult. Opted for a easy paced run, but the effort levels seemed to indicate a steady pace. Ran from the house to Offington in Sutton, Carribrack road up Howth to the corkscrew hill, and back down and around the coast to the house.

I only work a t-shirt, and with temps around 10-12c I was worried I would catch a cold from the run. Mental note to check the temps before heading out for a run...

finished with 8.4 miles in 1:06 for 7:53avg (which seemed much faster).

Friday - Lovely rest Day :):)

Saturday - Parkrun St Annes

A short 1.5 miles up to the local parkrun, and met up with the lads. Exchanged a few words, usually along the line of "sure ill take this one easy", and "not going to race this"...

Started well, well back in the mid pack, to ensure that I take things easy. First mile in 6:52. Started to reel in some clubmates on the avenue, second mile 6:47. Last mile pashed hard to catch a couple of the faster lads, and PL looking for a PB, 6:20. Finished in 20:42 for 33rd position and 6:37avg.

Need to work on my definition of easy when facing into an LSR the next day...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1980016121

Sunday - 17/09/2017 - LSR

A few texts from coach FJ the day before indicated that he wanted to do a Southside route, so I lent my 2c worth on a possible route, which was to run as much as possible on the Southside before getting back across the East link, and homeward bound.

Ran up to the clubhouse before 8am, and met up with 50+ other brave marathon souls. Down the Howth road, Fairview park, IFSC, Merrion Sq, Stephen Green, Leeson St, Donnybrook (where I stopped for a water wiht Dr Ger). Our brief water stop split us from the group of the 3 others (PL, MW, TC) so we soldered on past RTE, St Helens Hotel, and eventually down Booterstown Ave, Sandymount, East link, and Clontarf coast road.

Ger was pushing the pace with lots of miles under 7:30. Lovely weather to run, with temps around 12c and a high tide, when we got back to Clontarf and close to home.

Finished off with 21.4 miles in a 2:39 for a pacy 7:27avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1982256972

Directly after myself and the Mrs drove down to the Bull Wall swim club and I jumped in for a recovery swim in the Dublin bay. Sooooo Niceeeee :cool:

Thursday - 14/09/17 - Steady (at that pace?)

With the hard paced run the previous day, just getting my ass out for this proved to be difficult. Opted for a easy paced run, but the effort levels seemed to indicate a steady pace. Ran from the house to Offington in Sutton, Carribrack road up Howth to the corkscrew hill, and back down and around the coast to the house.

I only work a t-shirt, and with temps around 10-12c I was worried I would catch a cold from the run. Mental note to check the temps before heading out for a run...

finished with 8.4 miles in 1:06 for 7:53avg (which seemed much faster).

Friday - Lovely rest Day :):)

Saturday - Parkrun St Annes

A short 1.5 miles up to the local parkrun, and met up with the lads. Exchanged a few words, usually along the line of "sure ill take this one easy", and "not going to race this"...

Started well, well back in the mid pack, to ensure that I take things easy. First mile in 6:52. Started to reel in some clubmates on the avenue, second mile 6:47. Last mile pashed hard to catch a couple of the faster lads, and PL looking for a PB, 6:20. Finished in 20:42 for 33rd position and 6:37avg.

Need to work on my definition of easy when facing into an LSR the next day...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1980016121

Sunday - 17/09/2017 - LSR

A few texts from coach FJ the day before indicated that he wanted to do a Southside route, so I lent my 2c worth on a possible route, which was to run as much as possible on the Southside before getting back across the East link, and homeward bound.

Ran up to the clubhouse before 8am, and met up with 50+ other brave marathon souls. Down the Howth road, Fairview park, IFSC, Merrion Sq, Stephen Green, Leeson St, Donnybrook (where I stopped for a water wiht Dr Ger). Our brief water stop split us from the group of the 3 others (PL, MW, TC) so we soldered on past RTE, St Helens Hotel, and eventually down Booterstown Ave, Sandymount, East link, and Clontarf coast road.

Ger was pushing the pace with lots of miles under 7:30. Lovely weather to run, with temps around 12c and a high tide, when we got back to Clontarf and close to home.

Finished off with 21.4 miles in a 2:39 for a pacy 7:27avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1982256972

Directly after myself and the Mrs drove down to the Bull Wall swim club and I jumped in for a recovery swim in the Dublin bay. Sooooo Niceeeee :cool:

Very impressive long run!

TbL

Monday 18/09/2017 - Easy

Just easy miles from the house to St Annes, around a bit of that and back home. Had preceded the run with a brief visit to the Gym. The guns from last year are almost gone :mad:

5miles in 40min for 8:00avg.

Tuesday 19/09/2017 - More Easy

Still fatigued from the Sunday 21m, so opted for easy miles on as much of the grass as I could get. Finished with 7.5 miles in 01:01 for 8:07avg. Ice bath after which proved interesting for all 30 second of it.

Wednesday 20/09/2017 - Steady + 4*80m hill strides

Possibly I'm not sleeping well enough at night or, I'm just getting old, but the tiredness is constant at present. Wake up - Tired, in Work - Tired, Watching TV - Tired. Completed last week with 59m, my highest ever weekly mileage, so I guess that has something to do with it ?
    Opted for the Howth hill run at a steady pace. House, seafront, Sutton, Carrickbrack road, up to Corkscrew hill, and down to the coast road again, and home.
    Finished off with 4*80m strides at 70%.

8.55 miles in 7:40avg.

Thursday 21/09/2017 - Runmute

The Mrs has / had a thing later, so opted to run into work to get it done. Also got some well needed physio, so feel doubly tired typing this :(

6.5 miles in 50mins.

Catching up !!!

23/09/2017 - Dublin Half - NOT

No point at this stage re-hashing this mess, where we were stuck for 1:15 on the old Swords road. Suffice it to say that I got home reasonably quickly from there, and decided to use up some of the negative energy, by going for a decent tempo run. Set out from the house, down to Fairview park, coast road (into a savage head wind), blackbanks, and home.

8.1 miles in 56:08 for 6:56.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1993237073

24/09/2017 - Sunday - LSR.

JF was minus a functioning watch, so I lent him my old 410 on the Saturday night. We started the Sunday run with around 50 others, but JF have messed with the watch display settings, with the result it was not reading distance or pace. Had to stop with him to correct this after 100m, and as a result lost touch with our normal pace group. Spent the next 20mins burying ourselves to catch them, with the previous days efforts somewhat limiting our overall pace. By Fairview we have caught the slower groups, and took a short easy section to re-coop. I headed on into town, IFSC, and Liffey, and 3 Arena, and was met with the Dublin bike race. Opted to run along side for the next 5 miles.

Ended up with 14m in 01:47 for a 07:38 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1995249084

25/09/2017 - Monday - Easy

Just easy 5.6 miles from the house around the park and back.

26/09/2017 - Tuesday - Steady

Day off work so got in some nice un-stressed and steady miles. Love there type of runs. :)

7.4 miles in 59:00 for 7:38odd....

• Advertisement

28/09/2017 Thursday - Easy

Down to Quinta in Portugal for a spot of warm weather training (actually no, the missus said, if I didn't bring here away, there would be trouble)...

Ran at 8ish for avoid the higher temperatures. Stayed off the main road to avoid the traffic.

7m in 54mins for 07:47 avg.

30/09/2017 Saturday - Steady

A bit longer with more loops to get the miles in. Got in a few strava segments to keep the pace up...

8.2miles in 01:03 for 07:40.

28/09/2017 Thursday - Easy

Down to Quinta in Portugal for a spot of warm weather training (actually no, the missus said, if I didn't bring here away, there would be trouble)...

Ran at 8ish for avoid the higher temperatures. Stayed off the main road to avoid the traffic.

7m in 54mins for 07:47 avg.

30/09/2017 Saturday - Steady

A bit longer with more loops to get the miles in. Got in a few strava segments to keep the pace up...

8.2miles in 01:03 for 07:40.

Ah now - when I seen this on Strava, I thought you'd really milk in in the update................ but its just become so commonplace for you nowadays :)

Ah now - when I seen this on Strava, I thought you'd really milk in in the update................ but its just become so commonplace for you nowadays :)

Just trying to get a tan like your Alan :cool:

Just trying to get a tan like your Alan :cool:

You'd need a tin of Ronseal mahogany :)

TbL

Mad busy in work, hence the lack of updates :mad:

September Summary

Ran 24 / 30 days
    210 miles
    LSR's - (20), (21.1), (21.5), (14 Day after Half - that wasn't a half !)
    2 Parkrun's (20.46), (20.34)

Looking back over the last month, there are a lack or faster running there. No Session and no Hills. Most of the runs are in the 7:30, 7:40 range, with the recoveries over all 8:10 8:20 range.

Most of the longer Tempos (Wednesdays) were executed at a faster that MP. All of which leaves me wondering whats my MP... Something to figure out over the next 2 weeks :)

Back to work Dave ...

October - Jesus the years is nearly over already !!!

01/10/2017 - LSR Portugal.

One of the nicest runs ever, ran from the Conrad, down to Quinta Lake. Was just going to take the path around the lake and back up the main road and would have finished with 6-7 miles.

Instead I opted for the trails through the salt marshes, which are composed of hardened sand and some parts gravel. Absolutely lovely to run and watch the sun climb. Temps still a nice 20c at 8am. I Followed the trail around the edge of Quinta, and was beginning to get worried that I my struggle to find my way back. Luckily met up with 2 groups of 3, local runners, a similar vintage to myself. Got past the first group, and imbedded myself with the front group or 3.

Absolutely no English between them, but we got by with a thumbs up or a signal to the right or left, to direct the route forward. At this stage we were running at the edge or golf courses (something I wouldn't do on my own), past villas, and around smaller lakes. Back and forth across routes that I didn't know existed, but beautiful all the same. The pace started to creep up towards 7:00, which proved difficult to hold on the undulating route, and the continued lack of water after over an hour of running.

We finally split up with the strongest local putting down a few 6:30s and leaving me for dead. The other local headed off right towards Val De lobo on the return leg to the salt marshes. I briefly stopped for a break to catch my breath and admire the vista, and bird song, now in full report.

Took it easy over the last to mile back on my own, to the hotel, sweating buckets. Definitely one of the nicest runs in a long long time. One to savour.

11.1 miles in 1:23 for a 7:31 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2025928896

02/10/2017 - Easy Portugal.

Just easy / Steady miles, again around Quinta. Pushed the pace on the first part down to the beach on Avenue Ayrton Senna, as there are a few Segments there. Tired after the run yesterday and the wine the night before... Some of the new villas here €10m+.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2032882559

6.3 miles in 48min for 7:41avg.

03/October - Easy

Back home and just easy miles around St Annes. Stupidly used the Adidas boost to try to preserve the DCM Asics runners. Paid the price the next day with a sore Achilles. I should know better.

7.7 miles in 1:02 for 8:08 avg.

04/October - Steady.

Ran with PL and Mary W, from the clubhouse, to Sutton Cross and up Howth hill to the final hill, across from the baily lighthouse with 200 odd feet of climbing. Pushed the pace back down with Mary, and Paul got dropped. A few solid miles on the return, with the pair of us running stride for stride for 3 miles.

11.9 miles in 1:31 for 7:41 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2043911978

• Advertisement

So far behind due to work so ill keep it short...

05/10 - Thursday - Run-mute home, and I didn't start until Ulster Bank on the keys, due to the public congestion. 5.1 mile sin 39mins.

07/10/2017 - Saturday - Easy with hills - Joints a bit sore (old age ?), so just opted for an easy few miles, with a relatively easy 4 * Yangs Hills for a bit of fun. 4.4 miles in total.

08/10/2017 - Sunday - LSR

Started off from the clubhouse at 7:30am, with 5 other brave runners. Fairview, park, into town, The Green, Leason St, Donnybrook, up Eglin road, and onto the marathon Route at Clonskeagh. Pushed on from this point with DR Ger, and dropped the others. Robuck road, Nutley lane, but took a right at St Vincents and over to Merrion Gates, and Sandymount strand, Eastlink, 3 Areana, and Clontarf, and Raheny. Held a steady pace through, finisheing with 21m exactly in 2:26 for a 7:26 confidence builder.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2065204218

09/10/2017 - Monday - Just 4.9 easy miles from the house to St Annes.

10/10/2017 - Tuesday - 7.2 easy miles from the house to St Annes, and took in most of the park, mainly on the grass and back home.

11/10/2017 - Wednesday - Steady

Steady run with Mary W, out to Sutton dingy club, and around St Fintons Road, and back. Ran stride for stride with her for most of the run. 11.32 in 1:25 for 07:32 avg.

14/10/2017 - Couple of rest days previously. Body is just jaded with the steady paced longer runs, and need the rest as a result.

Parkrun St Annes.

Raheny were taking over the management of St Annes park run for the day. The Club was covering everything from Marshalling, to Time keeping to tokens, and pacing. I asked to pace 21, but got given 22 instead. (somebody trying to suggest I cant run 21 ? :P).
    The splits were to be about 7:04 mile pace. First mile a bit quick at 6:55, with a few lads behind depending on my pacing skills :P Second mile 07:08, and only 2-3 back there. Miles 3 in 7:05, and only 1 lads left. Finished off in 21:42 for the 5K, with a black slap and thinks for the one remaining guy...

15/10/2017 - LSR

Firs tapering run. Setup out from the clubhouse with Ger, LB, EMac, and PL. We took in the usual town, Merrion gates and East link route, with Ger LB and myself pushing on from 5 miles. 16.9m in 02:08 for 07:35avg.

17/10/2017 - Easy

Missed the opportunity to run in before the Hurricane, and after 1pm, it was pointless. But I guess there was a mile PB in there if you got the wind right ?

Tuesday 6.1 miles in 48mins, just up to the park and around home.

18/10/2017 - Easy / Hard / Easy

2miles easy from house to the Wade Ave loop. Then 2 miles @ tempo pace (6:45). Followed by 2 miles easy. Just wanted to get some harder running into the body before its to late. Felt all the better for it after the run.

19/10/2017 - MLR

Horrible night for a run, not that it dark be the time I get out. Not helped by the fact that big bad hurricane breeze Brian, was blowing on the sea front, and the parallel rain making everything just that bit worse. :mad:

Ran in the Adidas Boost alternates, and was suffering after 2 miles as a result. Pushed on with a few faster passed miles towards the end, as I ran with a lad doing mile reps.

8 miles in 1:04 for a8m/m avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2143515702

21/10/2017 - Parkrun St Annes

Have been promising myself a park run holiday for a weeks, but unfortunately not this week. There will be time for that after the marathon. Easy jog to the start line, and met up with some of the stalwarts. Called to the start I joined into the second line, and off at a good clip immediately. Pushed the pace as much as I dared, wanting a hard leg stretcher. Finished in 20:16 holding back for the last mile. So happy enough with that.

Easy jog back to the house, made for 6 miles total for the day.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2155263664

22/10/2017 - LSR (last one).

On my last marathon (2013), as a group we did the last 10 miles of the marathon route. Which I found very beneficial, as the hurt set in, that year at around the 16 mile mark. Got a taxi at 7:30am to Kimmage road west, and started running from 7:45am. Unfortunately (due to a miss communication) I was running solo this year.

With the early start and almost no traffic, I was running on the open roads for most of the last 10 miles. Not knowing the route from there until Clonskeagh that well, I had watched the DCM bike video several time on the Saturday to memorise the few turns and twists around Dublin 6.

A combination of something different, the thoughts of running this for real in just a week, and running on silent roads, meant that I probably pushed the pace harder that I needed to. The route is easy enough from Kimmage to the Clonskeagh. However once the drag kicks in from Clonskeagh Motors, to the top of Fosters Avenue, you loose precious seconds per mile. After that its just a matter of ticking off the miles until the finish line. Hopefully it will be that easy on the big day.

Finished the run in 1:16 for 10.46 for a 7:20avg

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2163257378

After had an easy mile jog back to my office, and a warm shower and some stretching in the gym.

Prediction Time

Might as well put down some numbers to hang myself on :(

The training for this marathon has only been OK. My stalwart running buddy JF, has been out of sorts for most of the year, and as a result some of the tempo sessions / MLR has been less effective. In saying that my "unstructured" marathon plan just running 6 days a week for most of the summer, has provided a decent base for the longer runs.

Iv only managed 3 of them longer runs at 20, 21.1 and 21.4 with 3 others at just over 17m. Unfortunately I missed the Dublin half due to the traffic issues, so I don't have much longer race pace info to go on. This is at best a guess...

A goal will be 3:14:00

I ran 3:14:07 back in DCM 2010, when I was 43) so anything faster that that and ill be delighted.

B Goal 3:17.

No reason other that its less that 3:20 and I'm confident I can run that.

If it all goes to S**t, 3:19:59 !!!

Loving the lack of training that the taper week affords.

Monday 23/10 - Rest

Was a day off everything, and it was really required, the combination of the park run (a hard effort) and the last 10 miles of the route on Sunday (mostly at tempo pace), had left me tired. I compounded matters with an admittedly light workout after the run. I woke up on Monday feeling a cold coming on. Wrapped up like an Eskimo heading to work on Monday, to prevent any more inbound sickness. Thankfully it turned out that I only needed a good sleep and was back to normal on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday 24/10 - 6 miles Easy.

Just easy miles from the house to Vernon avenue, sea front, and back around. To ensure I keep the pace easy, I wore my "slow shorts" (non branded, slightly to long, and not the best fit) - no way I would ever run a 5K in them !

Also trying to keep the food intake in check and eat fresh and healthy. Green salad and a chicken Brest.

Wednesday 25/10 - Sports Massage.

Decent sports massage in the gym beside work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You're going to knock it out of the park on Sunday D. Rest well and good luck Sunday!

Good luck on Sunday. That 3:14 is very achievable!

Run well on Sunday Dave - best of luck!

DCM 2017 - Sunday 29/10/2017

I had decided that DCM 2017 would be my last marathon. While I do love the event, the training required to run a decent time is getting to much. I do love the range of shorter events through the summer, many of which needed to be avoided or skipped due to mid-week medium long runs. All of which means that I was going to go for broke on this one. As mentioned some posts ago, this training segment was somewhat compromised due to the fact my stalwart running buddy JF was laid up for most of the last 12 weeks. By way of training volume, I had completed 3 20+ runs, all at a faster pace, that is par for the course for me. 6 days running for the whole summer, composing of plenty of 45 - 60 mile weeks.

I had booked into fly fit gym for a shower after the event, which proved to be a good call, dropping the bag before, around 8:30am. A short walk around to Merion Square, and the segregation point for the different waves. I had the short walk up Fitzwilliam St, Street to the middle of wave 1. Briefly exchanged words with Tommy and his son, another Raheny runner of a similar vintage, looking for a 3:30 finish. After a rather muted national anthem, off we went and I almost immediately ran into the back of 2 misplaced female runners, walking down the right hand side of the course, and around the first corner on to Leeson Street ? The crowding meant that the pace down Lesson street was 8:00ish. I found that I was running parallel to the 3:20 pacers for most of this section, well behind where I wanted to be. Moving on to the green and through a particular narrow gap of spectators at Earlsford Terrace.

Pushed on after the green, when the 3:20 pacers balloon caught the signpost directly on front of me and deflated. Kind of funny watching trying to untangle himself. The drag up Clanbrassil Street was unwelcome, and I let the pace drop here to preserve effort levels, with plenty of runners forging ahead of me. Down onto the Liffey, and over the James Joyce Bridge, I had now comfortably left the 3:20 pacers behind. Now Manor street and a more serious drag to contend with (mile 1,2,3 (7:37, 7:04, 7:22). Left on to North Circular and a welcome first view of the Phoenix Park. Entering into the park gave a brief break from the great support and a chance to see how I felt. Everything seemed normal at this early stage. Chesterfield with plenty of space offered plenty of overtaking options, and in turn, a chance to be overtaken.

I was taking a short drink at every table, happy to be losing that few seconds, each time. Just a small swig to keep the fluids topped up. The few miles of Chesterfield avenue were over in a blink, and strangely I can't remember anything about this part of the race. (miles 4,5,6 - 7:08, 7:16, 7:13) Through the gates and into Castleknock village, and the support levels went through the roof. The "clackers" and the fantastic band playing something from the 80's as I went past. The left turn at Myo's and I expected the crowds to lessen as we moved away from the village, if anything they actually increased for the next few hundred meters. I held back on the effort down the descent down Tower road, and the turn back into the Park. At this point one of my training Partners Declan, moved past with some smart quip about a owing me a bottle of water from the last LSR? I couldn’t do much, bar let him move past me and into the distance. More fab support on exiting the Park, and the entry into Chapelizod. (Miles 7,8,9 - 7:25, 7:08, 7:07). Don’t know this part of the city well and again seemed to pass in the blur. (Miles 10,11,12 - 7:11, 726, 7:14)

By mile 12 a slight pain was apparent in the left Achilles, which seemed to be way too early in the race for anything like this? Kept form and tried to ignore. Said a brief hello to Damo and the Blind man who he was assisting, who jointly had a great race to finish in 3:27. Again great support along this part of the route. The very slight drag up the Crumlin road was anonymous, where I passed Declan from the club.

In 2013 I was motoring at this part of the race, watching the miles tick past, now I was already looking for this to be over, as the effort levels were definitely rising and still only half way. I was already convinced that this was not going to be pretty at the end. Next few miles (13,14,15 - 7:07, 7:22, 7:15)

By the Kimmage Road, I was back to where I ran the last 10 miles last Sunday. Unlike previous years this didn't seem to help the mood? I had to admit that I was really beginning to struggle with the effort levels. The pace was holding but perceived effort higher that I wanted with 10 miles still to go. On Finisher Pix, I noted that my form was very poor, I look like I'm shuffling along rather that covering ground efficiently.

By mile 17, I caught up with Loraine, one of my Tempo training partners, who seemed to be also struggling, but more so than me. We briefly exchanged encouraging words as I slowly moved past. Effort levels still surging, possibly down to the direct sunlight and the increasing temperatures. I tried to combat the direct sun, this by running in the shadows whenever possible. Bushy park and a good downward stretch to Terenure village helping slightly. A shout out from some friends just after the village, as I tried to look strong and efficient (Miles 16,17 - 7:09, 7:10). I knew the right turn away from the finished line at Clonskeagh road would be difficult, and had probably over hyped this in my mind, with the result that it actually wasn't that bad. The drag starts at the bridge over the Dodder and after 21miles running all the more difficult. Miles 18,19,20 (7:06, 7:09, 7:17).

New levels of suffering took hold from this point onward. Stupidly I decided to take a High 5 Gel from the table at UCD, to be washed down with a Lucozade orange, and more water. Also sprayed water over the head and on my legs. Mostly to no avail. Heartbreak hill mostly a non-event, in terms of a hill (thanks Howth), but trying to maintain the effort was becoming impossible. I needed and wanted to stop... Down Fosters and left, at last, heading directly towards the finish line. Mile 21, 22 ( 7:25, 7:44)

By the top of the Stillorgan Flyover I spotted AMK, hunched over getting his legs rubbed by some girl, My first reaction was "Are you ok, and what the F*** are you doing way back here"... Second reaction "I'm ahead of AMK" ��. The effort levels were now nearing maximum. The speed bumps down Nutley lane were unwelcome, and jarring to the burning quads. The left turn onto Merrion Road, and more great support. Calls of come on Raheny and well done... Plenty of my Raheny Club mates were staffing the closed roads leading on to Merrion Road, and I get a "come on" every few seconds. At this stage I was in my own Private Hell, and mostly ignored or couldn’t hear the calls of support. Mile 23,24, 25, 26 (7:34, 7:37, 7:46, 7:55)...

With the slowing pace Loraine came past me at the American Embassy, Normally I could respond and put up some opposition, however, at this stage I just wanted to finish without walking. Pushed on and got to Mount St, and JF and Jenny marshalling. Can't remember what they said??? At this stage I was almost oblivious to the massive crowds on Mount Street, nothing could have pushed me on harder. I was running purely on instinct at this stage. One foot on front of the other to the finish...

With 10 meters to go, and as I ran over the first timing mat, I got a massive cramp in the left leg, that stopped me in my tracks. Would have fallen over, were it not for the timing gantry extending down the road to this point. Grabbed the gantry and literally crawled, hand over hand my way over the finish line, with 3:13:43 on the watch... The fact that the race was actually over was a bigger comfort, than hitting my sub 3:14 target...

Got a well done from Pat Hooper, over the line, and then a "Dave do you want a wheel chair, you don’t look to good". Politely refused and decided to walk it off.

This was easily the hardest race I have ever run. Really dropped off the pace for the last 6 miles, far worse than I expected. Really sick for 3-4 hours after, and only for the Mrs, would not have made it home.

Still finished in 1088 place and 62nd M50. Very happy to have got the A goal (Sub 3:14).

Should the last Marathon be that hard ??? I'll never know :confused:

MrDrak Out...

Great report and congrats on the time - really well deserved!

After DCM...

The resulting sickness for 4-5 hours after the race meant that I could not stomach food until around 6pm that evening. Which in turn, meant that the stiffness and soreness for the next few days were all the worse. Plenty of stairs descended down backwards, with a busy Tara street station the worst experience on the Tuesday.

While Tiredness was a factor for the last few miles of the Marathon, I think the building nausea caused the larges drop in pace. Anyway don't need to worry about it, as that was my last marathon.:(

Monday - 30/10 - Gym

Down to Westwood gym, and 30 minutes in the sauna, plunge pool, Steam room, meant I was bouncing for a few hours after.

Wednesday - 01/11 - Easy

A very short and very easy 2.9 miles (with 2 walk breaks) from the house up to the park and around the coast. Very tired both physical and mental (I just didn't want to be out running today). Still It eased the recovery the next day.

Saturday - 04/11 - Parkrun

More of a case of getting out, and saying hello to the lads. Stupidly I didn't wear the Marathon shirt, as a badge of honour. Pushed reasonably hard considering, and finished with a 21:02. Grand for a 6:52 avg.

Sunday - 05/11 - Steady.

Down to the clubhouse and met up with Will and Jenny. OK for a few miles, but again fatigue took over, and I have to drop back as a result. 6.5 miles in 49minutes for a 7:40 avg.

Jesus has it been that long ? - Log update - The abridged version

Tuesday 07/11/2017 - Double Day.

First ever Double day, with thanks to the Dart Strike. The traffic down the Howth road, was at a full stop, and the busses, were all full by Raheny, leaving groups of people at every stop. At easy 5.6 miles into work @ 8:00pace, and 5.11m home at 7.37pace. (Had to walk to Ulster Bank before being able to run home).

Great feeling being able to easily outpace cars in the jam.

Wednesday 08/11/2017 - Easy

Just 4 easy miles from the house to the park around.

Thursday 09/11/2017 - Runmute.

More Runmute, with a bit extra coast for good measure. 6.3 miles @ 7:37 pace.

Saturday 11/11/2017 - Reps 7*400

Easy warmup from the house to the Gym in the Village, and dropped off the RunBag. Then on to the park and a brief active stretching.

Reps were all around 93-95sec 400. Added up to almost 2 miles @ 5:52 pace. Didn't want to push to much with the marathon only 2 weeks before.

Easy back to the gym and upper body and core work.

Sunday - 12/11/2017 - Steady

Ran with one of the faster and younger lads, and more of the others did the remembrance run in the PP. I couldn't as we had relations down. 7.4 miles @ 7:39 pace. Grand.

Tuesday 14/11/2017 - Crash Smash Bash !

Off work early and headed out for a steady run. Rounding the turn from the Howth Road to Vernon Ave, I had to go wide around a double parked van on the footpath. Coming the other way on the footpath was a cyclist, and smacks into me at full tilt. I came off the worst, and took the full force on my face. Dazed enough I had to sit for 2 minutes.

Looked like the elephant man after 5 minutes, with the swelling. As no help was forthcoming, I had to jog back to the house, trying to hide the lump! Felt pretty sorry for myself for the next few days, and no running as a result.

Marathon Update.

Benefits of being an old lad.... We managed to get both a Dublin and Leinster Team M50 bronze for our efforts, with yours truly being the top scorer. :D

Got the medals in the clubhouse after the winter league race on Wednesday.
    Pretty bloody pleased I have to say. :)

Brief Update... Work is mad busy as a result there is no time for boards...

18/11/2017 - 400s

Warmup and cool down from the house to St annes. Then 7*400 at around 93-95sec per 400. 5:55 mile pace. Still didn't push to hard.

Also light Gym for core and upper in the village before going home.

19/11/2017 - LSR

Sunday LSR, missed the 8:00am start and a chat with the lads. Just opted for a steady run on my own, to Fairview, then the coast road , and back around.

8 miles in 59:45 for 7:28 avg.

Rest of Week

Tuesday - 4.3 miles @ 7:50 pace.
    Wednesday - 3.4 miles Fast @ 6:53 pace.
    Saturday - 5.1 miles @ steady pace (7:47) in Malahide
    Sunday - 7.9 miles @ 7:37 pace.

Tuesday - PP - Steady

Opted to return to the PP for a lunch time run, as I had only done this one in 2017. Lovely is Cold run for 6.6 miles @ 07:17 pace. Nice to run fast for a change.

Thursday - 31/11 - Easy

Freezing cold run and just getting the miles in. 4.1 miles in 32 mins.

Hopefully work will ease up for the next few weeks, and I can enjoy my running again.

Upcoming races...

Raheny Winter League Round 2 - 6/Dec 2 miles
    Raheny Winter League Round 2 - 13/Dec 3 miles
    Joe Noonan 24/Dec 6 miles
    Goal Mile Xmas Day 1 mile
    Fat Turkey 10K 27/Dec 6.2 miles

• Advertisement
Advertisement