Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Still mad busy in work and scant time for logging or even reading logs :(

A few brief highlights :-

03/12/2017 - Sunday - LSR

Lovely run from the house to Sutton Cross, Burrow Road, (where Larry Mullen Lives), back through offington park and on to Carribrack Hill, up to The top of Corkscrew will and the steep descent down to the sea front at the Strand Road. Then the return home. Lovely run and great to get out for a decent spin. 9.1 miles in 1:10 for a 7:44 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2363738783

06/12/2017 - Winter League Round 2 - 2 miler.

The second round of the club winter season race, as usual run on the wade avenue 1 mile loop. With scant sessions and a general lull in the run volume I was expecting difficulty in breaking 13min for the 2 miles.

Pushed as hard as I could and finished in 13th out of about 60 runners, in 12:34 for a 6:18. Delighted with the run and great to run fast again.

09/12/2017 - Saturday - Easy.

Freezing temps, and I was wrapped up like a Eskimo, also had my companies Xmas party the previous night, so the head and body and everything else was still recovering from the Beer, Brandy and Red wine. 5.2 easy mile in -2 temps around St Annes park.

13/12/2017 - Winter League Round 3 - 3 miler.

Another freezing and windy night to run with the lads. Privately wanted to run sub 20mins for the 2 miles, anything faster would be a bonus. Lined up with 60 odd others, pushed hard for the first mile (6:18), asleep for the second (6:32), and holding on for the last mile (6:26).

Still got past a few of my running buddies and happy to get the scalps, finishing in 13th.

3 miles in 19:10 for 6:26avg.

Jesus has it been that long since I updated ?

Work continues to be manic, with the result that I don't get time to think about running far less, writing about it.

From Mid December, I have been getting out for 3-4 runs per week, however there has been no sessions in there, and everything is of a shorter distance, typically 5 miles or less. Beginning to feel the lack of speed as a result, with the net time in the Parkruns heading south.

Some general highlights:-

Fat Turkey 10K - December 28th - Race from St Fintans Church in Sutton, to the Summit car park, and back down. Basically 450 feet of ascending for 5K, and the same of descending. Finished in 43:40, in 47th out of about 450 other and 4th M50. Grand to get the legs moving again.

2017 - Finished with 1,742 miles for the year.
    Managed to run without injury for the whole year.
    Hit most of my Goals - Ran DCM
    Got a sub 20 5K,
    Ran in the National Road relays.
    Earned a few hard won accolades, including DCM M50 Team Bronze
    10mile Road Team Bronze
    Club Winter league division 2 winner.

2018 - New Years Parkrun

Given we were in the Mansion house for the new years ball, and only getting to bed at 3am, with many glass of wine meant that 21:57 for St Annes was amazing.

03/01 - Winter League - 3Mile.

Freezing and windy down the first leg of the route. Finished in 13th out of about 60, in 19:28. Pushed as hard as I could for the final lap.

07/01 - Masters XC.

Home race and pretty much most of the club was out to run this one. A nice 3 lap course composed of both grass and train, and a tasty log jump half way around. The goal was not to get lapped and run as hard as I could sustain. Finished in 197th place in 27:27 for 7:06.

14/01 - Leinster Masters XC

The lovely muddy Dunboyne 3 lap course offered a more demanding course that the Dublin masters. The surface was in places very challenging, with several seasoned athletes looking spikes on the way around. Got a warm hello from Wubble Wubble before the freezing start. Off immediately, and settled into the back of the field. Worked hard to pass runners every few minutes. Pushed hard for the whole race and finished in 25:53 for 121 place. Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

MisterDrak wrote: »
    2018 - New Years Parkrun

Given we were in the Mansion house for the new years ball, and only getting to bed at 3am, with many glass of wine meant that 21:57 for St Annes was amazing.

03/01 - Winter League - 3Mile.

Freezing and windy down the first leg of the route. Finished in 13th out of about 60, in 19:28. Pushed as hard as I could for the final lap.

07/01 - Masters XC.

Home race and pretty much most of the club was out to run this one. A nice 3 lap course composed of both grass and train, and a tasty log jump half way around. The goal was not to get lapped and run as hard as I could sustain. Finished in 197th place in 27:27 for 7:06.

14/01 - Leinster Masters XC

The lovely muddy Dunboyne 3 lap course offered a more demanding course that the Dublin masters. The surface was in places very challenging, with several seasoned athletes looking spikes on the way around. Got a warm hello from Wubble Wubble before the freezing start. Off immediately, and settled into the back of the field. Worked hard to pass runners every few minutes. Pushed hard for the whole race and finished in 25:53 for 121 place. Great day.

I actually don't remember you passing me, although you're behind me in this photo by Lindie Naughton, taken on Lap 1. Nicely done.

EDIT: That link takes you to the top level page for the Leinster Races. Page 3 of these, top row, fourth slide from the left.

Raheny 5 - 2018

Had absolutely no expectations for this race, save getting out and running again, given that I had a bad bout of Man Flu for the week. That coupled with doing the numbers on race day, and standing still for 2 hours before the meant that stiffness or cramp could become a factor.

15 mines before the race I was still giving out numbers, as most of the helpers were not running and were co-opted into race marshalling and needed to leave to get to their positions. At 2:50 I said "sod it" and got out for .3 of a mile warmup, bumping into AMK in the process. Lined up beside one of my Raheny buddies DF, about 20 rows from the front.

Off within 30s of getting my place, and settled into a decent pace. I was passed by 60-80 runners for the first 2-3 minutes, until we sorted out our relative positions. I was very conscious of not pushing to hard in the early stages given the very low run volume in Jan running (65miles to that point).

Fantastic support, pretty much the whole route, and a bonus that the weather played ball with only relatively light winds from the west hampering progress in the exposed sections. The new rout proved very acceptable with the closed road on All saints proving to be better than the comparative Howth Road.

First Mile in a pacey 6:25, and mile 2 in 6:35, by halfway I was into my running and beginning to reel in some of my Raheny running partners, with PL first to go. Passed Marshal JF at mile 3 in 6:32 split, and I was beginning to count down the minutes.

Caught sight of EmcN 10m ahead and reeled her in, by the Kids playground. St Annes Avenue offered a glimpse of runners ahead and moving opposite direction. Miles 4 in 6:38, and realising that a sub 33 was on the cards.

Pushed again, and got a few more scalps on the run to exit the park. Only the support and the sounds from Dick Hooper on the loudspeaker kept me going. Pushed on around the park and delighted to see 32:XX on the gantry with only 30m to run. Finished with a sprint and over the line in 32:33 for 6:33 average.

Delighted with the time and result. Not so much that the winter league resumes on Wednesday, and ill be running on tired legs. !...

Raheny 5 - 2018

Had absolutely no expectations for this race, save getting out and running again, given that I had a bad bout of Man Flu for the week. That coupled with doing the numbers on race day, and standing still for 2 hours before the meant that stiffness or cramp could become a factor.

15 mines before the race I was still giving out numbers, as most of the helpers were not running and were co-opted into race marshalling and needed to leave to get to their positions. At 2:50 I said "sod it" and got out for .3 of a mile warmup, bumping into AMK in the process. Lined up beside one of my Raheny buddies DF, about 20 rows from the front.

Off within 30s of getting my place, and settled into a decent pace. I was passed by 60-80 runners for the first 2-3 minutes, until we sorted out our relative positions. I was very conscious of not pushing to hard in the early stages given the very low run volume in Jan running (65miles to that point).

Fantastic support, pretty much the whole route, and a bonus that the weather played ball with only relatively light winds from the west hampering progress in the exposed sections. The new rout proved very acceptable with the closed road on All saints proving to be better than the comparative Howth Road.

First Mile in a pacey 6:25, and mile 2 in 6:35, by halfway I was into my running and beginning to reel in some of my Raheny running partners, with PL first to go. Passed Marshal JF at mile 3 in 6:32 split, and I was beginning to count down the minutes.

Caught sight of EmcN 10m ahead and reeled her in, by the Kids playground. St Annes Avenue offered a glimpse of runners ahead and moving opposite direction. Miles 4 in 6:38, and realising that a sub 33 was on the cards.

Pushed again, and got a few more scalps on the run to exit the park. Only the support and the sounds from Dick Hooper on the loudspeaker kept me going. Pushed on around the park and delighted to see 32:XX on the gantry with only 30m to run. Finished with a sprint and over the line in 32:33 for 6:33 average.

Delighted with the time and result. Not so much that the winter league resumes on Wednesday, and ill be running on tired legs. !...

That is indeed a fine result, especially coming off the back of being ill and not running a lot lately anyway.

I presume that's DF the ref.

That is indeed a fine result, especially coming off the back of being ill and not running a lot lately anyway.

I presume that's DF the ref.

Thanks J, a few weeks ago, I was aiming for 32:5X, but with the few setbacks, 33:5X would have been fine on the day. Still you can underestimate the ability to empty yourself for a home race...

DF the ex Solider ? Bit of a nemeses on the Winter league and Parkrun. ..

Thanks J, a few weeks ago, I was aiming for 32:5X, but with the few setbacks, 33:5X would have been fine on the day. Still you can underestimate the ability to empty yourself for a home race...

DF the ex Solider ? Bit of a nemeses on the Winter league and Parkrun. ..

Yeah, the same fella, although I know of him through the GAA....good tough footballer in his day, refereeing for a number of years now.

31/01/2018 - RS - Winter League - Round 6

A freezing dark, and windy night, but still 45 brave soles turned up for the 3 miler. Still tired from the efforts of the Raheny 5, and 2 days Runmuting, meant that I have scant expectation other than to get out and enjoy myself.

Lined up eventually at 8:10, and off within 30 seconds. Settled in the second pace group with 5 others, including EmcN and DF. Held position at the back of the group for the first mile loop, and after the first 5 minutes running effort levels evened out and the going felt easier. First mile in 6:28.

Immediately after the first mile split call, I made my move, and pashed past 4 of the 5 in the group I was running with. Up on the shoulder of DF, and I was telling myself to hold position and don't pass him until the last mile. Eagerness over took me and I passed him after another 300m.

Pushed hard for 2 minutes until I heard his steps fade. Pushing hard, I was conscious of the fatigue from the 5 mounting. Mile 2 in 6:25.

Last mile and I could make out KF, 20m ahead. Tried to reel him in, but he maintained his advantage. Finished off in 19:21 for 6:33 average. and 7th place.

Happy with the result and getting a few places and seconds over DF in the league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How does your league operate? Are there divisions, handicaps, stuff like that?

RayCun wrote: »
    How does your league operate? Are there divisions, handicaps, stuff like that?

Ray,

Seen you flying past me down the Avenue Sunday. Running well Sir...

Winter League made up of 12 races, starting around November, and finishing with in April. Usually ever 2 - 3 weeks, allowing for Xmas, Raheny 5 etc...

The earlier part of the league (November) are usually the 3 milers, with the 2's in the middle of the season, and the last 2-3 are the 1 milers. With the last one being the Raheny mile, where the teams for the national road relays are picked.

Regarding standards - Loosely falls into 3 leagues (1,2,3), what the demarcation is from league 1 --> 2 --> 3 is I'm not sure. Pat H organises most of the standards.

As regards scoring, its based on your best positions over your best 8 races.

Pretty similar to the summer league. But that for the soft lads :D

January Overview.

Disappointing month of running all told in terms of volume. Was sick for a week and well just in time for the Raheny 5.

Loved each of the races I competed in.

88 miles in total - :mad:

Parkrun's 2 (21:57, 20:34)
    Races 2 - Winter League 4, and 6 - Both 3 milers.
    XC - 2 - Dublin Masters and Leinster Masters
    Raheny 5 - My Fav race of the year - Second fastest 32:33

Feb 01-02 - Easy

Just easy miles from the house to the park and back around via the coast road. 4.9 miles in 40mins for 8:10.

03/02/2018 - 4*600 with 90 sec off.

Left this a bit to late as I was enjoying the bed a bit to much. 1.6 miles to The park with Parkrun was setting up.

6*400 at around 90 - 91 sec per rep, with 90 sec off. Last 2 reps was met with crowds assembling for the parkrun.

These reps were very much about getting back into fast and controlled running, as most of the last 3 months (since the marathon) as been about easy paced runs. My plan with these is to hopefully peak around mid April for the road relays. 2 odd miles back to the house.

04/02/2018 - Easy

The forecast mentioned some rain, and at this stage Iv run in pretty much every weather that this country has available. Possibly cause I had just started the run, I sought shelter at a bus shelter as the rain seemed to be extra wet ! Torrential for 20 minutes, and I waited it out to my shame. I was beginning to freeze, and the soaking with the long wait. The run after that never got back to being pleasant. 6.7 miles in 53 minutes for 7:56 avg.

General.

Most of the runs at the moment are of the shorter verity. Generally I don't like running in the dark, as the night vision is beginning to degrade, with the result that I find it difficult to judge changes of camber, and can stumble as a result...

The freezing weather doesn't help... Anyway grumble over...

05/02/2018 - Monday RunMute

Given that the run home is only 5.6 miles door to door, and with an easy paced run I can do that is 42 - 45 minutes, pretty much the same time as getting the dart. If it an evening run home RunMute, I tend to hold off starting to run until I get to the IFCS with the crowds / volume of traffic around Grafton St, Collage green.

09/02/2018 - Friday - RunMute.

A few days in Kerry on Business meant that I did get any mid week runs, so had to fit this in on Friday (my usual rest day). 5.6 miles in 44mins - 7:55pace.
    Also a 30 minute gym session.

10/02/2018 - Parkrun St Annes.

Got the call up for the M50 national Masters XC in Galway, late on the Friday night (a bit to late for my liking). Just jogged park run in 25mins. Fully set for the race and the drive to Galway, but family stuff got in the way so had to call it off unfortunately. Sounded like a MudFest, and disappointed to hear the Team M50 got 4th.

11/02/2018 - LSR.

Again freezing, and got up 10mins to late to meet up with the lads. Opted for an Easy run from the house to Sutton, Burrow Road, (where id buy if I won the lotto), Offington, and back around the sea front home. 6.8 miles in 54 mins for 07:56avg.

Runners !

I have being a very long time devotee of Asics, having run exclusively in them for the first 6 years of my run life (Kayanos, Nimbus, Cumulus, GT1000,2000 and DS Trainers). I did start using Adidas boost for some easy paced runs around 4 years ago, and found them adequate.

The prices of the Asics have been steadily climbing over the last 4-5 years, and with any higher mile plans I find myself buying 1-2 pair each year.

Before DCM last years my existing pair of Asics (GT1000's) were nearing end of life, so I bought a new pair of Kayanos 24's (€180) ....

A truly dreadful runner... Great fit, and lovely for walking in, however any pace over a very slow jog, and they seemed to "slap" into the ground, which can become unbearable after 1-2 miles. Possibly the sole is very slightly concave, which may cause this ?

Anyway, on Thursday I purchased a pair of Nike Pegasus 32 in the Nike Outlet in Killarney (€56)... Found them very responsive, good fit and light. Purchased another 2 pairs of 32's (end of line in) Blanch on Friday (€58). €172 total for 3 pairs of excellent runners, which I can actually use for running....

Goodbye Asics, nice knowing you !

• Advertisement

13/02/2018 - RunMute.

House to office commute via the dart is 45 odd minutes door to door, if everything lines up. The run time is 44mins @ an easy 7:50ish pace. A no brainer really... Loaded up the back pack a bit to much for this one, and was suffering after 2 mins. Also the freezing temps -2, didn't help. After 10 minutes I needed to get my work sock out of the pack and use them as mittens...
    5.5 miles in 44mins @ 7:58avg.

Light gym session in work after the run.

Then Runmute home for a treble day !!!

14/02/2018 - WinterLeague #7

A 1.7 mile warmup, followed by a few shuttles and high legs, before the off. Entertained though to towing the front line, but thankfully copped on and moved back mid pack for the off. Settled into a hard be manageable pace, for the first lap, in 6:14. Pushed on and tried to catch Dave F (another M50), on the second but he held on 10m ahead for the remainder of the second lad, to finish 3-4 second ahead of me at the end.

Its going to be a right scrap between us for the M50 division title this year. I'm going to miss next weeks race with the trip to Prague. But I think I can get the better of him in the couple of 1 miles at the end of the season.

Next few days, a bit sore so took it easy...

17/02/2018 - ASLAA 8*400.

Haven't been up to the ALSAA track since I moved to Raheny 2 years ago. Most of the 400's were around the 85sec mark. Which was nice to see. Pushed as much as I could on each rep.

As I left the BHAA was setting up for the XC.

18/02/2018 - LSR

Haven't run with the lads in weeks, with the stuff on and or a warm bed @ 8am on a Sunday. Anyway, opted for the club house meetup this Sunday. Great laugh and made the 9.2 miles pass all the quicker. Pace = 7:54.

Feb - March 2018

Long time no log... Mainly down to the fact that work continues to be manic.

General Synopsys:-

The run volume for most of the winter and early spring composed of lots of short easy runs. The loop from the house to St Annes park and around the edge gives 5 miles, and that was my go to run for the week days. Saturday would be reps 6-8 of 400m around the play-groung in St Annes, usually on my own, as the club session were at 11:30, and a bit to late for my liking. Then Sunday was a run of 8-10miles with the lads again as easy pace.

I tried to run all of the Winter League, (12 Races in total) 1 or 2 milers on the wade avenue loop. The 2 milers were between 12:35 down to 12:20 (6:15 - 6:25 ) pace. The 1 milers from 5:53 down to a respectable 5:44 (for an old lad) :)

Generally I was only logging 20-30 miles per week for this period.

April - 2018

One of my goals for 2018 as to run all of the clubs winter league fixtures, run the Raheny Mile (the selection race for the National Road relays), then hopefully get picked for a B or C team for the Nationals and enjoy the whole event with not to much pressure.

Raheny Mile (18/04).

Usually a far better standard than the normal winter league fixtures, with plenty of the younger lads and M35 running well under 5min for the mile loop. Privately and with the relative lack of training I was hoping for a 5:45 finish, and a potential podium for the League 2 decider.

Off with a mad sprint for the first 300m, pushed and tried to maintain fast leg turnover. Had a good battle with another similar aged bloke for the last 100m, but got edged out by 1 second to finish in 5:39. Still, Really happy with the run and performance, and acquitted my self well. Easy paced 1 mile cool down after.

Back to the clubhouse for the announcement for the winter league results and then road relays teams. Unfortunately did not featured in the winter league, as I was moved up to Division 1 this year. Also and surprisingly no announcement from the coach on the M50 team relays. Have to say I was a pretty dejected after getting home.

Saturday 22/04

Easy 4 miles from the house to the park and around. Bumped into JC, just before the house, and had a good chat about stuff and running in general. Lifted the mood somewhat.

At 11am got a text from Dick H (Team captain) to say that I was selected to run the anchor leg of the A team in the national Road Relays. The nerves started almost immediately...

Sunday 23/04 - National Road Relays.

Spent the morning watching the London Marathon, and heading to the Loo :eek:. Got up to the clubhouse with plenty of time to spare, and picked up my number of Dick H. The other two runners on the team were both faster than me, and by running the last leg, I had a fear that I could be responsible for messing up. The format of the relay race was 1Mile 2Mile 1 mile...

Off at 2:30pm with 30 odd teams composed of 2/3 M35 and the remainder M50. St Finbars were the hot favourites having won it last year. Great first leg by Peter, but impossible to tell where we were with most of the M35 teams well ahead, and tagging while we waited in the pen for minutes after the teams in contention.

Second 2 mile leg by Dave W, and another great run. Again no idea of were we were in our age category. I was tagged and sprinted off on the final leg. Within 100m I was comfortable passed by an M35 lad, which meant I was running an a vacuum, as he moved on ahead and into the distance.

Just concentrate, hold form and push as hard as you dare Dave, I kept saying to myself. The left turn and the slight down hill to the second half of the course. Again the mantra, don't get passed again... Don't get passed again. Tried to listen for strides behind...

With 400m to go, I passed Damo, who shouted out. Dave you in F***ing second, but there is a guy closing on you fast.
    Second, Second WTF. Pushed as hard as I could, around the final left corner with just 100m to go. I vowed that nobody would pass me on the final 100m, with the crowds watching. Fell across the line, in complete exhaustion, trying to catch my breath.

One of the AAI official walked over to my heap of a body and handed the 2nd place M50 card... F***ing delighted. Finally composed, got hugs and claps on the back from everyone. Even got a handshake from the Claw...

A genuinely new and fantastic feeling to be part of a team and get a medal at an National event like this. While there have been plenty of PBs over the years, and great race performances, this was something different and something to be savoured... A few nice photos there after completed a most excellent day. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's brilliant, well done!

Great report and a fine effort. Maybe it worked out better that you didn't have much time to get nervous.

• Advertisement

Long time no posting and all that...

The short story was is that I got injured shortly after the end of the National Road relays (April). Both Achilles had an equal acute pain, which resulted in absolutely no running and a painful walk for most of May and early June.

I prostituted myself to the gym that the same period, finding some relief in the weights. 4-5 session pre week and I put on 4-5 kg in muscle, and a bit of fat if I'm honest :pac:

Did lots of sled and squats for the legs, already looking forward to the day I would return to the roads.

Devastated that I missed running the best summer since 84 (wasn't running in 84, just saving it was a great summer).

Finally the Achilles have cleared up enough to afford short and easy runs over the last 3 weeks. Loving running again, but not loving the resulting pain in the Calves (possibly as a result of the Summer of Squats ?)

Anyway just going to focus on lots of easy running until November. Four runs pre week 4-8 miles only. Yesterday I signed up for the Contra half, mainly cause it passes the house, and is flat as a pancake, and even with limited mileage I can probably get through it.

On a more sobering note, there was been a distinct cull in my "elder" running buddies. 2 retired from running, 1 moved to London and 1 passed away !

Anyway keep the positives positive :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Long time no posting and all that...

Anyway just going to focus on lots of easy running until November. Four runs pre week 4-8 miles only. Yesterday I signed up for the Contra half, mainly cause it passes the house, and is flat as a pancake, and even with limited mileage I can probably get through it.

On a more sobering note, there was been a distinct cull in my "elder" running buddies. 2 retired from running, 1 moved to London and 1 passed away !

Anyway keep the positives positive :cool:

Great to see you back - glad you're enjoying the running again.

Where does that HM go?? never heard of it.

Regarding your running buddies - JF one of them??

Great to see you back - glad you're enjoying the running again.

Where does that HM go?? never heard of it.

Regarding your running buddies - JF one of them??

Cheers Alan.

Just checked my post, meant to say "Clontarf", not Contra, no idea where that came from :confused:

Yeah, JF headed over to the big Smoke a few weeks ago, he is back every few weeks for a long run...

I think he still harbours thoughts of a sub 3 hour, personally I think that boat has long since sailed.

October 2018 - General

Bit of a mixed bag run wise :(

A fair amount of pain / fatigue persists when I run, although that acute pain from the Achilles has now completely gone. It seems to creep in after 35- 45 minutes of running.

2 park runs completed. 29/09/2018 - StAnnes - 21:21 and 31/10/2018 - 21:50.

A few 6-7 milers during the week also. Need to get some structure back into the running and some semblance of a plan...

If I write it down it will happen :)

Sunday 14/10 - LSR

Most of the club lads are into taper phase for the DCM. A summer of sessions, tempos and LSR's means that I was struggling to hold pace from the getgo. Held on until the left turn at Fairview when I followed the coast road the they continued into town. Nice run along the coast and ended up with 7.8 miles @ 7:50 pace.

Monday 15/10 - Easy

Just 3.6 easy miles from the house up to St Annes an around via the coast road.

Tuesday 16/10 - Tempo

No structure training in ages, so any sort of a Tempo was going to be challenging. Opted for the coast road out to the Sutton Cross, strand Road, Sheilmartin and back.
    Pushed on for the first 5 miles with a few at 7:20ish... Strong-ish wind in the face on the return which slowed progress somewhat. Still 7.35 miles in 56 minutes for a 7:38 avg. Happy out, and feeling some speed returning.

Thursday 18/10 - Steady

Opted for the Phoenix Park, as we were going out later and any run would be compromised as a result. Also haven't been down to the PP in ages, and what a day to go for a run there ! Strong sun and clear skies and no wind. Opted to turn back down Chesterfield at half way and avail of the grassland for the second half.

Lovely to see the heard's of Deer, also a school sports day on the 1000 acres.

6.67 miles in 51:14 for 7:40 avg.

Rest days tomorrow, and Parkrun on Saturday :)

20/10/2018 - Parkrun St Annes.

Up for a decent tempo run and add another Parkrun to the tally. A bit sleep at the start which resulted in starting way to far back, and with 400 odd started it makes for a slow first mile. Pushed on for along the avenue and started to get into my running for the last mile. An ok 21:33 for 7:03 avg. Grand :rolleyes:

21/10/2018 - Sunday LSR

Run for the house up to the clubhouse, as I have been missing out on the club runs of late. Met up with Brian for 2 miles @ easy pace. Pushed on from Harry Byrnes then along the coast road on my own, as the rest of the runners were heading into town and the 3 Arena, which it to long for me at the moment. Happy with 8.6 miles in 1:07 for 7:48 avg pace.

24/10/2018 - Fit for Life 2 Miler

A minor Raheny series in between the end of the summer and start of the winter series. Supposed to be aimed at beginners and slower runners. You wouldn't know that from the starting line up. Anyway , took it handy for the first mile, in 6:38, caught a few runner on the second lap which cam up in 6:29. Finished in 6th out of 50 in 13:07

25/10/2018 - RunMute.

Kind of hate running during the dark nights, so any opportunity to get in a few miles in the bright is welcome. Normally dark by the time I get home so opted for the RunMute home, to avoid the later start time. A nice 6 miles along the coast @ 7:47 pace.

27/10/2018 - PoolBeg Parkrun

Had to drop the younger son into the institute on Saturday morning @ 9:00 means that I would struggle to make it back to St Anne's for the 9:30 parkrun. Opted for Poolbeg as its only 10 minutes from Leeson Street.

Nice sunny morning, and the course was littered with UK runners doing the Marathon the next day. Off at 9:30 and took it handy on the first lap of the park, then along the coast road and out and up to the steep Poolbeg hill. A quick descent and repeat around the park. Finished in 21:31 for a 6:54 avg pace.

[IMG][/img]FBfcIsA.jpg

Sunday 28/10/2018 - Steady.

Stayed with friends in Kildare on Saturday night. In passing I mentioned that we had to leave early in the morning to watch the marathon. This was greeted with a "why are you watching a marathon"?, suffice it to say that are not into sport !

Anyway we left to late to make it to the PP in time to see the leaders. Shouted support to all the club lads and lassies. High Fived the fun runners and joggers for an hour.

By the time I got home, opted for the short sharp 5 mile @ steady pace (7:24).

Headed up the watermill at 9ish to see the Claw awarded the national title :D.

After the Mrs was chatting to him at the bar, apparently asking him about how he keeps his hair in such good condition :eek:

Monday 29/10/2018 - Easy

Just 5.1 easy miles from the house to the park and around.

Wednesday - 31/10/2018 - Fit for Life Round 2 (2 Miler)

Decided to run this as most of the marathon runners would be lying up and resting. 1 mile warmup before, and a few chats to the lads. Had my sights on DF as has had run 3:37 on Sunday, so I fully expected him to slow up and jog around. No such luck. First mile in 6:31 second in 6:26, failed to catch DF, but happy to finish in 12:51 for a 6:28 avg.

:)

I can actually see The Claw in a shampoo commercial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

:)

I can actually see The Claw in a shampoo commercial.

With DD massaging it into his scalp. :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    With DD massaging it into his scalp. :pac:

Ha Ha! Brilliant:pac::pac:

Saturday 03/11 - Parkrun.

Just parkrun, nothing more, nothing less just Parkrun... 21:12 @ 6:54

Sunday 04/11/2018 - LSR

LSR from the house to Clubhouse, met up with John and Jim, and spent a present 8 odd miles running and talking. The lads headed up watermill road, I went on the coast road. Eventually finished up with 9.7 in 1:16 for 7:53 avg.

07/11/2018 - Fit for life league - Round 3.

2 mile warmup, and a brief chat with DF. Started in the second row. Held back for the first lap, but nothing there, and just tried to maintain position for the second. A forgettable run. 2 miles in 13:14 for 6:39 avg.

Also got my entry for DCM 19. After swearing that 2017 was my last, I got sucked in by a few the club lads... "Sure its the 40th anniversary Dave, you have to do it..."

08/11/2018 - PP - Steady.

Lovely run around the pp, the whole PP and nothing but the PP (except for the last bit down to the Ashling Hotel and a taxi back to the office :cool:

Ran on the trails around the back of the ordnance survey, and into a heard of deer. Stopped running turned off the watch and "took in nature" for 3 minutes.

6.95 miles in 51:59 for 7:29 avg.

10/11/2018 - Parkrun - St Annes.

The mission should you choose to accept it is to run sub 21, which I seem to be stuck at for the last 4 weeks since coming back.
    Mission completed in 20:48 for 25th place and 6:48 avg. Happy.

11/11/2018 - LSR.

With the Clontarf half next Saturday, I needed to get some longer miles into the legs. Nice run and chat with Clark Kent, for 10.6 miles in 1:21:59 for 7:44 avg.

No idea what avg pace to target for this race ? Anything sub 1:39 and ill be happy.

2018 Summary.

A real mixed year of running. The early part of the year was given over to the winter League set of races, which went well. Clocked a 5:27 for one of the miles, which I was delighted about.

Got picked for the National Road relays M50 A team, and with Dave and Peter ran to win a national Silver medal.

Unfortunately as a result of the above and the racing flats I wore for a few previous races, I received an nasty Achilles strain in both feet. As a result I was out for most of the summer. Only back to running in late September.

From then on it was just maintenance miles. A bit of banter on a Sunday with the lads.

Around 760 miles of running, mostly steady stuff.

Sunday 06/01/2019

Dublin Masters XC - St Annes Park

Got the text from coach late on Friday evening, where in the past it was a case of, we need to fill out the M50 team, now it was a case of "sure if you not busy you can run around a damp field so we have lots of Green vests showing" :)

Anyway, got down to the park with plenty of time to get in a 2 mile warmup and chat with JF (returned from London for the race) and Jim. Watched the end of the ladies race to see Siobhan get gold, coming from 30 meters down in the last 100, epic stuff...

Jogged down to the start line, which was located some 200m further down the park than in years past. Positioned myself toward the back, as I fully expected to be finishing in the last 1/4 of the pack. Despite getting a new pair of Nike Spikes I went with the trusty Pegasus road shoes and the ground was firm with virtually no mud, bar 1 place.

Off with a bang, and settled into a comfortable pace, with J and J, almost immediately the pack turned left into the row of trees. Followed the track around the edge of the pitches, and then left again into the tree covered canopy, and firmer ground. Over the path and the small log jump, caused a brief black-log of runners. More of the canopy, until the sharp left and a slight 100m drag back to the easy right back to the pitches, and the first lap complete.

Support fab all the way around, with plenty of go Raheny and come on Dave :)
    I vowed to maintain or slightly up the pace for the race, which proved a good strategy as I was passing occasional runners that had set out to fast, or were tiring, from the first mile on.

Mile splits were pretty even at 7:02, 7:04, 7:07, 7:05, finished in 189th out of around 250, and 30th M50. Happy that I gave it everything I had on the day...

3.8 miles in 27:28...

Monday 07- Jan

Just easy miles from the clubhouse with the lads and long time running buddy JF.

Wednesday 09/01 - Jan - Winter league round 3

Round 3 and a 3 miler to boot, given that I was in the gym that morning, this was only be a steady run as opposed to an all out effort. Started steady enough, reeled in a few strugglers on the first lap, and pushed on from there. Finished in 20mins exactly for 6:40avg.

Thursday 10/01 - Steady

Just steady miles from the house out to Howth and up corkscrew hill. 8.8 miles in 1:08 for 7:43 avg.

Saturday - 11/01 - Parkrun St Anne's

What was supposed to be a very easy local parkrun to get the legs prepared for tomorrow, turned out to be a steady effort. More down to the fact there were 630 runners and the narrow paths were over crowded, so I tended to slip around slower runners.

Sunday - 13/01 - Leinster Master XC

Got the call up from coach on the Thursday evening, so duly had to confirm my attendance. Arrived down to Gowran Park in kilkenny, at 12ish with the Masters Race scheduled from 1:15. A short warmup with the other "awl lads", proved that the grassy surface was in great condition with almost no mud or lying water. The course was measured 2 km, figure of 8, with a bit of a drag up to the second half of the lap, and a corresponding drop back to the corss over point.

With the large number of M35, M40, us old lads were always going to be fighting at the rear.

Started off at a steady pace and pushed on for the first lap, passing lads every 2-3 minutes. Settled in for the mid section getting past my team mate JK, blowing hard for the lads lap where I gave everything I had, to the point that I collapsed over the line in 118 position.

Happy to have run over 2 minutes faster that the Dublin XC last week. Still there was another minute or more in there if I was in better condition.

6k (3.7m) in 25:38 for 6:49 avg.

Big Catch Up, and has it really been that long ?

January - Finished off the Month with 100.7 miles, a reasonable total given we were away skiing for a week, and a few days of no running at either side of the holidays. Most of the runs were just easy paced efforts, with a few Xc's Dublin and Leinster (both covered above).

February - Finished the month with 115 miles. Highlights included a cold Trim 10mile, with a finish time of 1:10:47, and an almost disaster getting late to the start line. Still ran pretty strongly for the whole race and happy to have got a few place over my clubmates.

17/02 - A lovely trial run with the lads in the PP, visited part that iv never run before. 11 odd miles.

Sessions - Started doing sessions with The Claw's group on Tuesdays on the Seafront, as all of my running have been at an even or Tempo pace of late. As a result the first session was a shock top to the system, which was 8*400 and 2*800 @ just over 6min pace. In the dark and on Grass that is fast enough. Also a handy 1*500m, 4*1K, 1*500m last week, that was a bigger shock, but I did feel some additional benefit from the previous sessions.

Saturday 02/03/2019 - Park Run St Annes.

Just treated this as a tempo run, and brief chat with Conor for the first mile. Finished in 52nd with 21:36. Something happened to the Garmin so I couldn't get mile splits...

Sunday 03/03/3019 - LSR.

Kind of fallen between the stools when its come to LSR paced run lately, to slow for the fast group and to fast for the slow group. So headed out on my own for a 11.2 miler from the house to Howth. The village up to the summit is a total ball breaker, and I'm sorry to say I had to stop half way up for 15seconds to catch my breath. Anyway a lovely run on the way back down, with a strong head wind the only down side.

11.24 miles in 1:27 for a 7:52 avg run.

Tuesday 5th March - 10*200 hills jog back recoveries.

The normal Tuesday speed session was moved from the flat Clontarf sea front to the to the hills of Howth. With the brutal weather approaching I opted to drive to the Summit car park, knowing that nearly a 6 mile warm up from the house to the summit would be slightly over doing it.

Met up with the gang and went for a few easy miles before, and the rain and freezing wind intensified every few minutes. The session was 10 * 200m from the summit pub to the car park, with a jog back recovery. A few of the younger and faster lads were doing 250m at the same time so would be hunting us down each rep.

Took each rep handy enough until the last 20m, where we were all blowing hard. Finished up with 2.24 miles in 18:06 for 8:05 avg pace. Pertty slow for a "speed session" , however the jog back were almost walking pace.

Wednesday 06/03 - Recovery.

Easy paced run from the house to St Annes and around the sodden park, coast road and back home. Tired but not over shattered from the session.
    6.08 miles in 49:42 for 8:10 avg

Thursday 07/03 - Easy

Much the same as above, house to park and around by the sea. But the fatigue was measurable more tonight.
    6.39 miles in 52:20 for 8:11 avg

Friday 08/03 - Rest lovely Rest day...

Saturday 09/03/ - Park run St Annes.

Or at least 60% of a park run. With the Half on Tomorrow I decided that a full park run and the inevitable easy pace that would turn into steady pace by the end would be to much. just 2.4 miles in 20 odd minutes and a brief chat with the lads after.

• Advertisement

Sunday 10/03 - Bothered Half

A yellow weather warning is never a good start for a Half marathon in Meath. I had asked MrsDrak for her jeep so I would get stuck in the field. As it wa there was only a few cm's of mud to contend with. As I parked up car was rocking violently with the 20-30 mile an hour gusts...

Headed out to the clubhouse at 10:30am with the other "Awl lads" and we huddled inside to avoid the driving sleet shower at 10:45. Eventually headed with 7-8 minutes to go, with an easy jog 1/2 a mile to the crowed start line. As a result I was back 50-60 meters from the start line. "No matter it is a half marathon" I reasoned.

Off at 11:05 and settled into a steady paced run dodging slower runners and group ever few seconds. Pushed over the M3 and started to find some space. The gentle descent from the motorway and on to the sharp right hand turn and into a strong side wind. Another climb again over the motorway and continued to push the pace Miles 1,2 (7:17, 7:07).

Nice country roads, but the ever present cutting cross wind. Passed the first of my club-mates around here, and offered a brief "come on", before pushing on. Mile 3,4,5 (7:06, 7:02, 7:05), the turn on to the Navan road came as a shock, with the full force of the wind into the face, and little by way of shelter. You just had to "get through it" The gentle right hand turn back on to more country roads offered little respite from the wind. Again passing a few more the of the gang (Jim).

What seemed like the longest 1.5 miles ever had us again turning right back to the start line for the second lap. Miles 6,7 (7:17, 7:08). around here I ditched the hat and gloves, as the temperature were indeed starting to climb.

The wind behind somehow did not seem to offer the same level of relief as the headwind hindered us. A repeat of the course on second lap, and now plenty of road to work with. Miles 8,9,10 (7:05, 7:08, 7:09). The effort levels at this stage were around 95%, but still pushing on. Caught another club mate nemeses Dave F, around the 10 mile mark, and again pushed on past him.

last few mile could not come fast enough. You could see another sleet shower in the distance and already starting to dump it load on us, stinging as we went. Not much left for the last couple of miles, and just wanting to get finished at this stage. A "Hello and come on Dave" from Damo and Brian, at the last 400m was helpful. Then last left turn and on to the trace and over the line in 1:33:40 for a 7:08 avg.

One of the very hardest races I have run. Mostly down to the conditions (freezing, and wind) but not exclusively so. I guess that I must have been carrying so fatigue into the race, as I was ready to drop at the end. Correct pacing if vital to get the best out of the performance.

Anyway a few hellos to the faster lads, and into to the super clubhouse for a coffee and brack. Delighted with the time and to have run at pretty clode to my limit for the entire race.

Tuesday 12/03/ - Session with Mick

An easy mile jog down to the sea front, and met up with Conor and a few others, for an easy warmup. When I say that the wind was mental, is was actually way way worse.
    The session was 10*400 with 100m jog recoveries, so the start point would move around 100m each rep. At lease that offered some verity regarding the conditions. Running with the wind for the first 100m, was a joy, actually slightly mad, as you were blown past the turn post by a few meters, turning into the wind was like running into a wall. Progress was difficult in the extreme.

I bugged out after 8 reps, with the Bohermeen half still in the legs, and the wind taking its toll, and a gentle jog back to the car (with the wind).

Wednesday 13/03/ - Easy

Just easy miles from the house, to St Annes and around. 5.8 miles in 47 for 8.08 avg.

Thursday 14/03/ - RunMute

Given that it take around 45 minutes to get the Dart into work, and I can run it in 43, it make since to do this a bit more often, weather allowing. 5.7 miles in 43:46 for 7:40 avg.
    Sat in a puddle of sweat for the 10am meeting, before getting to the showers :(

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3461153637

Saturday 16/03/2019 - Parkrun

The Saturday default option for training. It really boils down to a run and a chat with the lads at this stage. Normally the race gets off at around 9:35ish, however this morning it was bang on 9:30, as a result I was the last to start, and had to work through the field. Still happy with the 21:37 for a7:03 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3466282081

Sunday 17/03 - LSR.

JF and Dave away at the moment, and with the MSB on the next day I didn't want to get drawn into a longer and faster than necessary LSR. Headed out at 7:30 for a steady Howth based run. Grand on the way out with the strong tail wind, no so much on the way back. Carribrack road as challenging as ever
    8.64 miles in 07:53 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3469083087

Monday 18/03 - MSB 5K

One of the best road races on the calendar, and I always try to be around for it. A big club contingent for this one, with plenty of familiar faces. Easy jog from my office to the green, then a few shuttles before joining in about 10 row back from the front line. A few chats before the off. Pushed from the word go, with a strong wind in the face for a good part of the canal section. Splits were 6:27, 6:32, 6:32, 5:33 for a 6:27 avg.

If I had been a bit of careful and considerate with the pervious few days, and less running and beer, I could have broken 20minutes.... :mad:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3472990098

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Saturday 16/03/2019 - Parkrun

The Saturday default option for training. It really boils down to a run and a chat with the lads at this stage. Normally the race gets off at around 9:35ish, however this morning it was bang on 9:30, as a result I was the last to start, and had to work through the field. Still happy with the 21:37 for a7:03 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3466282081

Sunday 17/03 - LSR.

JF and Dave away at the moment, and with the MSB on the next day I didn't want to get drawn into a longer and faster than necessary LSR. Headed out at 7:30 for a steady Howth based run. Grand on the way out with the strong tail wind, no so much on the way back. Carribrack road as challenging as ever
    8.64 miles in 07:53 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3469083087

Monday 18/03 - MSB 5K

One of the best road races on the calendar, and I always try to be around for it. A big club contingent for this one, with plenty of familiar faces. Easy jog from my office to the green, then a few shuttles before joining in about 10 row back from the front line. A few chats before the off. Pushed from the word go, with a strong wind in the face for a good part of the canal section. Splits were 6:27, 6:32, 6:32, 5:33 for a 6:27 avg.

If I had been a bit of careful and considerate with the pervious few days, and less running and beer, I could have broken 20minutes.... :mad:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3472990098

Well done!! (I've mentioned trying to shelter behind you along the canal over on the MSB 5k event thread :))

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well done!! (I've mentioned trying to shelter behind you along the canal over on the MSB 5k event thread :))

Cheers Helen, you were going well yesterday alright, indeed all of the crew ran well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Cheers Helen, you were going well yesterday alright, indeed all of the crew ran well :D

They did! Age category wins galore! My time was a bit slower than I hoped, but I'm blaming the wind, because I think I ran ok - I certainly passed a few people I didn't expect to finish ahead of ... roll on windless summer days :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 19th - Easy

Just easy miles from the house to St Annes, and some grass running, out to the coast road, and along. 5.77 miles in 46min for 8:02 avg.

Thursday 21/03 - 3miles on 3 miles off.

Just felt like something different, and knew I was not able for 4*1, or 2*2. " miles easy from the house down Howth road.

On miles were 6:57, 6:56, 6:43 (wind in the face for these).

Off miles were 7:42, 7:46, 7:49.

I had the HRM on for these, which I never use, so I have no way to gauge a 151 avg for the run ???

8.07 miles in 59:36 for 7:23 avg.

Parkrun St Annes.

Turned up this week with plenty of time to spare, and shared a few words with a few of the lads before the off. More of the club were acting as pacers for the day.

I again started way to far back, relative to my expected pace, but this easier pace could have helped in the later stages of the run? Started pushing hard from the all weather pitched on, (first 1/2 mile). Passed loads of runner down the avenue the first time (miles 1 6:52).
    Upped the pace for the 2nd and 3rd miles (6:33, 6:26), an finished with a 20:07 on the watch. Pretty happy with the time, and with a faster start could have probably broken the 20min. The encouraging thing is that while I was running hard, it was still well within myself. I put it down to the now regular sessions with Mick.

3.1 miles in 20:07 for a 6:36 avg.

Sunday 24/03 - LSR

MrsDrak had her first Bike Race, at 10am, so had to go out and support, given that she has supported my races numerous time over the years. This meant that I have to head out at 7:30am to get back in time. Just 8 miles at a steady pace... Nothing more to report :o

8.02 miles in 1:01 for 7:39 avg.

Monday 25/03 - Gym in town for medium and core work.

Tuesday 26/03 - Sessions

Easy 2.6 miles from the house down to the wooden bridge, and the group sessions. Nice to see some brightness in the sky for a change.
    No Mick this week. Conor was the nominated coach for the session. The session was 3 *1200 with 2 min static recovery, then 4*400 with 60 sec recovery. I opted for the faster group for the first time. Grand for most of the reps. Pushed when i needed to and held on when i was empty. Finished with 3.28 miles in 21:41 for 6:35 avg.

Wednesday 27/03 - Easy

Great to feel some heat when out running. Opted for St Annes and an easy 5.2 miles in 40 odd minutes for 7:49 avg.

Thursday 28/03 - Gym and core.

Not sleeping well at the moment with the contract crap in work, so opted out of the Thursday (usually steady run), and the TV instead. Mistake and should have went for the run :(

Saturday 20/03 - BHAA 4 Mile (St Annes Park)

I had signed up for the Dunboyne 10K on Sunday, but was having doubts doing it. A 12 pm race, with driving to, and from, finding parking warmup and down, means loosing 4 hours plus.

Instead decided to do the BHAA 4 miler in the park. Lovely run, and plenty of Raheny folks doing it too. Lined up 2 rows from the front. Pushed from the off:-
    Mile 1 - 6:29
    Mile 2 - 6:45
    Mile 3 - 6:31
    Mile 4 - 6:37

Finished in 26:36 for 51 place (out of 450 ) for 6:36 avg. Lovely local run and delighted i got past a few of the club mates.

Sunday 31/03 - LSR

Plenty of the club doing to Dunboyne 10K race, so a quiet morning ahead. Started out with the Berlin and Rotterdam crew, but they were running 7:20 pace, and i was dropped in the first mile. Took it handy and ran the coast for 8.5 miles in 1:06 for 7:50 avg.

Finished the month with 130 miles. Which is about when i want to be at the moment. With my history of injury, the closer i get to 150m the increasing risk...

Monday 01 -April - Gym

Lunch time session in town, with upper body and core work. Also some TRX which is great for the hams and knees, (got to look after the knees when you getting on) ...

Tuesday 02-April - 10 * Hill Sessions

Howth Hill session with Mick, was in work late so the warm-up suffered as a result. Jim parks up at the bottom of the Carribrack road, and runs up the 3 miles up to the summit. I only managed to get in a 1.5 miles before at very easy pace.

The session was 10 hill repeats of 200m with zero recovery. I'm slowly graduating out of the slower group, but for these i opted to alternate between the slower groups 200m rep and the faster groups 250m. The extra 50m had me blowing hard for each rep. Still when coach is urging you on, you dig a little deeper.

Empty at the end, and cooled down with another half mile easy.
    Finished with 5 miles in around 41 minutes including the very slow cool down.

Wednesday 03 April - Easy

Very easy after the session day before. Just 6.6 miles from the house to St Annes Park and around. Still freezing weather, and had to wear gloves to stave off Frost Bite.

6.6 miles in 54 mins for 8:11 avg.

2 manic days in work including contract negotiations have left me empty, and zero training. No running until Parkrun tomorrow. :D

Saturday - 06/April - Park Run St Annes

Dropped my son to Lesson St for 9, which gives just enough time for get out to St Annes, and have a 5 minute Warmup.

Exchanged a few works with Dave and Jim before lining up 2 rows from the front. Off immediately, and passed by 30-40 runners. No worries as I just treat these as the Tempo effort for the week. Settled into 6:50 pace, and pushed on past the overly eager runners each mile. Finished in 20:27 for 6:43 avg and 35th place.

Sunday 07/04 - Steady run.

What is usually the LSR for the week, turned into a steady paced run. Easy from the house up to the club house, and met up with the lads. The easy, paced was dropped as I joined up with the Boston lads, and pushed the pace down the Howth road.

The group broke up around Fairview park, and I tried to maintain the same pace. Lovely run along the coast road, with temps around 10c.

Finished with 9 miles in 1:05, for 7:18avg pace. Happy with the harder effort for a change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement