Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its all about Time...

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done D, I was thinking it was going to be a warm one especially with the 11 AM start. FWIW I'd have been delighted with a sub 75 !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going, D - good time on a tough day on a tricky course. Not for me this year although I enjoyed 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Tuesday 09/08 - Tempo

Opted for a Tempo on the old Raheny 5 course (for old times sake). Ran this session may times in the past and always found it challenging. 1.5 mil warm up to the start of the R5 route. Reset the watch and off, unfortunately the temps were in the 20c so going was going to be difficult. Also had a dental appointment that morning and what ever the anastatic does, crippled me for the first 2 miles. Anyway, pushed on and finished in 34:59 for 7:00m/m. Easy 1 cool down to finish.

Wednesday 10/08 - Steady

Steady pace out along the coast path to Burrow beach, where it seemed that 10% of the city was there before me. The run coincided with high tide so jumped in for a 100m. Then back home along the path. Finished with 7.1 miles in 55 min for 7:47.

Thursday 11/08 - Steady

Martin suggested running at 7:30am, due to the temps later in the day. Still the mercury must have been 20c at that early stage. A steady 7.6 miles in 58mins to the two churches and back. Really struggling towards the end.

Saturday 13/08 - LSR.

Again the high temps would potentially have a bearing on long runs today, so opted to start out at 7:30am. Tried the new Nike AlphaFlys, would these proved to be better that the Vapoflys or not ?

Easy down the Howth road, and again temps must thave been 21 - 22 at this stage. Took in a full additional loop of Fairview park to stay under tree cover and probably 3-4C cooler that uncovered. Continued into town, westland row, Merrion Sq, and 2 loops of St Stephen green, offered some cooler running. Lesson St, and donnybrook, ballsbridge and Sandymount, then Easy link, 3 and home via the coast road. Finished with 18 miles in 2:19 for 7:46 avg.

The new runners (zero miles) were a tad to tight on right ankle, also fiunf then to "slappy" on the road. Lastly had a massive blister on second toe that had to be burst later :). Unlightly to use these for the Marathon, will probably go for the Vapofly instead....

Tuesday 16/08 - Tempo

The session was 2M warmup, 5M at Tempo pace (under 7m/m ) 1 CD. Opted to run this on the Howth Road, Coast road loop, as it offered plenty of quiet enough section on the coast part. The Tempo 5 miles (mile 4-5) were difficult to hold paces with the relitively strong wind into the face on the coast section. Splits were 6:53, 6:58, 6:53, 6:67, 6:56. Then well deserved 1 mile easy home. Found it very tough... 8 miles in 57mins for 7:13 Avg.

Wednesdau 17/08 - Easy

Just easy miles on the grass of St Annes, with some miles on the Dublin Masters XC course (Bring back memories of Mud). 6.3 miles in 8:11 M/m

Thursday 18/08 - Steady

Towards Sutton X, via Bayside and the Park. Hanging from the start and just wanted this run to end. Has to stop a few times to catch breath. 7.5 Miles in 1:01 for 8:09 Avg.

Saturday 20/08 - LSR

All of the lads were doing Frank Duffy, so had this run to myself. Out at 7:40am, Headed ito town, Stephen Green, Lesson St, Donnybrook, RTE, Nutley, Merrion Gates, Sandymount, 3 Arena, and Coast Road. Used the Pegasus 38 for this and found them heavy and to warm as the miles built up. Just wanted the run to end by 15 miles.

Finished with 18.5 miles in 2:25 for 7:52Avg.

Thinking of running Long with Damo and the Fast young lads next Sunday to see where I am. Will probably be a **** show, but had done a blow longer run in years past and find it does harden the mind...

44 Miles for the Week

Another missed opportunity to update my log, despite a commitment to myself that I would this time...

Anyway, a pretty resonable 12 week marathon prep, but no plan and no hard target for the day, but plenty of runs and chats along the way with the awl lads.

I did get in 4 + 20 milers, and a couple of pacey 16 milers with Dave W.

Also covered all of the actual course this year in training, except a 2 mile section after the KCR to Ternure Rd. With the last 8 miles last sunday in the lashing rain.

Probably tapered a bit to much this week with only 9 miles, and probably a bit to much food too.

Anyway, going to use the AlphaFly for the race. I used them for one of the 20M above and found them a revelation, but hating them the first couple of runs.

Hopefully the weather will play ball, but so far seems resonable.

Def last marathon this time......... Until next time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck, Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck 😊

Dublin Marathon 2022.

The training suggested that a decent time was on the cards for this marathon. A couple of sub 1:30 half's this year with the Fairyhouse in the not to distant past. Also the training block has been pretty good, with 4 20+ miles, a couple of 18M at steady pace and 2 16M done at around 7:30 pace with Dave W. Also as part of the block we has run the first 16 miles and also the last 7 miles of the DCM route on different Sundays. Lastly a pretty regular Tempo Monday with the lads at around 7-8 Miles usually finished the 7M at 6:50 avg pace or faster. All of the above suggested 3:"0 so a conservative target on the day.

I had selected the new (only 50 odd miles on them) AlphaFlys for the big day. Although the last long run on the previous Sunday had caused a small cut on the right Achilles, but this didnt factor.

The race plan was to run with the 3:20 pacers and with 2 / 3 miles to go push on a hopefully come in at 3:19ish and mostly ahead of the large 3:20 bus.

Started well enough for first few miles and stuck with the balloons. All miles around 7:30 avg, probably held back slightly up the Manor street drag (7:35). Even that this stage the effort level felt to high for the relatively steady pace. Lots of sweating. I opted to have a small drink (mouthfull) at each drinks table but not take any jels, relying instead on an Early brekfast of porridge and bagels.

Again holding with the 3:20 groug up into Castleknock, and down Tower rd, back into park and out again at Chapelizod Gate. While the pace was not easy, it was manageable, but i found that i had no spring in the step and any even slight acceleration was almost impossible.

Inchicore and South Circular rd, all mostly fine, and again 7:30 average over this leg. Worth mentioning the incredible support on the whole route (except Orwell road) but especially great at Dolphins barn. Crumlin Road, OK, and i was now passing other fellow Raheny runners, that i would have considered stronger that me.

Kimmage, Forthfiled and Templeogue again fine (but definitially working harder to hold 7:30 from here on). Looking at the mile splits from 15 - 20 miles I was only 1 second different on each mile here. Even the turn onto Clonskeagh and the drag up to Roebuck was mostly OK. Passed Keith and Darrel here. Fosters seemed to go on forever, and for the first time the balloons seemed to have moved 20 - 30 meters ahead. Down Fosters was difficult, trying to not overstride. Immediatly on taking the left onto Stillorgan, it was like I was shot by a sniper, stomach in knots and a potential toilet accident only avoided by a nip into the undergrowth here. :(

After this it was ****Show, with a run walk to the finish. Zero energy, the balloons were now out of sight and runners streaming past me. Almost embarrassed to run (travel) this way down Merrion road. Again Raheny support fantastic, but no amount of encouragment could help at this stage. I was done. A weak jog for the last 1/2 mile and over the finish in 3:29:08 chip. The final 3 miles were all around 10m/m...

Anyway one to forget. Talking to the awl lads that i run with all (bar Martin ( running his 41st DCM)) seemed to have a similar rough time. To say i was sick / vomoting + after finishing would be an understatment, 3 very rough hours of it and not to be described on here...

To say that im dissipointed would be a massive understatment, a solid training block, but something deep down (Virus / cramp / ???) had derailed the day.

I had sworn that this would be the last... But i just can finish like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

aww Dave - sounds like a bad day all around.

Similar story told by so many, so don't be too hard on yourself with the disappointment.

It was a tough day all around, well done on seeing it out!

• Advertisement

General but short update :-

The running year has been mostly up and down to this point. Definitely getting older has had an impact, especially at the shorter faster distances, and the elongated recovery times that go with it.

A few bouts of colds / flues / injury hasn't helped either. Pulled out of a few of the longer races including, Sligo coast to coast, and the Rathoath Half, but this was more down to scheduling conflict that anything else. Definitially far fewer longer races this year, with Bohermeen the only half so far, way back in march.

Still a solid showing in the club 2mile summer series, with a second place M50 and plenty of races in the sub 12:20 range the main positive. Also really enjoyed the awl lads running group still holding together...

Lastly well into DCM training now, a 21m and 4-5 18+ milers over the last couple of months have me in OK shape. However no idea where my half time is now doe to lack or races. So based on above have changed the race target from a 3:27-28ish to "run and enjoy the experience" as much as you can enjoy a marathon...

Saturday 30th September.

Swapped the long runs to a Saturday from a Sunday some months ago, and find that it both frees up Sunday with less tiredness and or allows a trip to the Gym / or short easy recovery run. TBH I prefer the gym, as I'm looking like a stick insect at the moment. :(

Opted for a new-ish route, House to coast road, St-Annes park, Artane, Malahide road, to Malahide, Coast road to Portmarnock, Cycle lane to Sutton, Burrow Beach, and back to the coast to the house. Lovely route, and mostly quiet with a 7am start. Had €5 in the pocket and bought a couple of bottles of water along the way at roughly 7, and 14 miles. Finished the run with 20M in 2:39 for a 7:57 avg. Felt relatively ok, with little fatigue or cramp after this.

Some cause of concern in the left foot, with some gentle pain (only 2-3) around the top Metatarsal area. Will try not to over load on harder runs for next week.

October 1-10

Monday 02/10 - Tempo effort along the coast path out to the two churches. Dave's and Mark for company. On the turn the setting sun was like a laser into the eyes, and nearly collided with a bike on the return leg. 7.5 miles in 56M for 7:52avg.

Tuesday 03/10 - Physio with Neil. No Luck in getting to the root of the pain behind the right Knee, but little effect on the running so, carry on as normal... Also 3 miles recovery at 6 in StAnnes. Very slow.

Wednesday 04/10 - Easy. Just easy miles with the lads, part way on the coast path. Very Tired. 6.5 miles in 8:25 Avg.

Saturday 07/10 - LSR - Needed the previous days off to properly recover. Main cause for concern this year is the vastly longer time to recovery after several days running or Gym or Physio. Anyway Opted to run the last 5 miles of the DCM route from the house. Howth Road, Fairview, Town, Stephens Green, Ranelagh, Milltown, Clonskeagh, and back on the route to town, Stopped for a water at Spar on Westland Row. Then back on the Clontarf coast and a bit of the StAnnes Park run course with the runners for good measure. Felt good for most of the run and little by way of stiffness towards the end of the 21 miles in 2:43 for 7:46. Happy with that.

Sunday 08/10 - Gym and recovery in Westwood. New plunge pool magic.

Monday 09/10 - Tempo - Tempo effort with Dave's, Damo, Mark and Gary. Longer route to Offington, and back. 8.6miles in 1:05 for 7:36avg. Happy with that.

October 10-17

Tuesday - 10th - Easy up to StAnnes and a couple of laps on the grass. 5.05 miles in 41:35 for 8:14avg.

Thursday 12th - Again Easy up to stAnnes but with some Yangs hills efforts, after 4miles. 4*120M at race pace, with jog back recoveries. Then 2miles easy home on the coast. 7.40m in 57min for 7:46avg.

Saturday - 14th - First Half of the Marathon Routh with the Lads. Parked up off Merrion Sq, and easy to Fitzwilliam Sq, Pushed on with Gary A. following the route. Stopped briefly in Circle K opposite Myos for a water. Joined by Martin at this point as he had caught up with us during the water break. Continued to follow the route with Gary, but dropped Martin on Exiting the park. Also dropped Gary on Heading up Lawrence's Road (tough drag). Pushed the pace from here on. On Crossing the canal at Dolphin's Barn, turned left and followed the canal back to Lesson S/t and the cars.

Brekie in a new places beside the Alex hotel where we all filled up on Pancakes and coffee... Lots of slagging and Banter.

16.11 miles in 2:05 for 7:46 avg. Felt goo all the way around. Happy days.

Monday 16th - Tempo Monday. Two churches loop and turned into a stupid race for the last 2 miles. Typical Damo. 7.55 miles in 54:13 for 7:11 avg.

Last bit - October 19th

Short workout (as recommended by the new watch) of 15min warmup, with 8*20sec efforts with 2min jog recoveries in between. Miserable evening and being almost dark does not instill confidence when running hard. Anyway 5.65 miles in 45M for 8:07 avg.

Sunday October 22nd

Last 8 miles of the DCM route. Parked up in Cathal Bruagh Barracks, the group comprised of Martin, John F, Mary L, Gary and myself. Plan was to run easy via Rathmines, and Rathgar road and into Rathgar village, then follow the route, all the way back to Merrion Sq. Myself and Gary pushed on on leaving the barracks and lost contact with the others. Good chat along the way, pointing out the drags and downhills to G, who is only running his second marathon at 62. I pushed on at the turn onto Stillorgan Dual Carriageway, a couple of sub 7 miles here, wishing it would be that easy on the day. Met up with Gary at the finish line on Merrion Sq, with Martin arriving 3-4 mins later.

An easy jog back to the barracks gave us 10.7 miles in 1:20:15 for 7:29 avg.

Tuesday October 24th

Easy 5 miles around the park at 8:27 pace.

Wednesday October 25th

Easy to the park and back, 3.25 miles at 8:14avg.

Thursday October 26th

Easy down to Dollymount beach at 7am, Beautiful, empty dark and cold. 4.1 miles in 33 mins.

Target.

Given that I have missed plenty of longer races in the buildup to Dublin, Really don't accurately know where I am. The LSR give an idea, but not as accurate as a hard Half. General mileage, session and overall fitness is down / worse that last year. So ???

A Goal - 3:24:59

B Goal - 3:29:59

C Goal - Just enjoy the race.

Best of luck Dave!

Very best of luck😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best tomorrow Dave 💪

Dublin Marathon 2023.

The training lead up to the marathon was OK, with 6 19M + and the taper long of 16M all banked. As mentioned above very little quality training by way of sessions / hills or any real specificity. The overriding though for the race was to get it done but do not have a repeat of the sickness from last year, by emptying yourself to run a few minutes faster.

Two good night sleep on the Friday and Saturday had me feeling pretty good on Race morning. Small brekie at 6am, of porridge and some current scones, then off to collect Tommy in Killester at 7. Have to say a job well done to DCC on totally messing up the drive into town now, what used to be an easy 15 minutes via Fairview is now a detour via Alfie Byrne Road, 3 Arena, Liffey etc.

Dropped the bag to Fly Fit and a few high fives to the other lads. Opted to use the Alpha Flys for the run, having only done a few races and LSR's in them...

Off around the detour via Merrion Sq and Fitzwilliam to the start line. Bumped into John F and Mark L here also waiting in Wave 1. Gun and off bang on time and the usual cramped for space mid pack start. Under the gantry with 1:20s on the clock. Just really easy running down lesson St with almost everyone passing me easily. A gently rain to welcome us to St Stephen Green, and the right around via St Patrick's. Easy along the Liffey and then up the long drag to Stoneybatter and the Nth Circular Road. Into the park and a bit of a crush down and up Lord Mayors walk, and around the Zoo.

Caught Dave F on Chesterfield road and ran with him until the exit into Castleknock, some water here. Paces for the first 7 miles between 7:44 and 7:59. Feeling fine, and breathing normal. The overriding feeling was to hold just under 8mm pace and see, but not do anything stupid. Down Collage Road and loads of other runners passing me, resisting the urge to push on here. Had to briefly stop for a wiz in the PP :) before the downward at st Marys. Great support from Damo and Nora at the exit from the park.

First hill of substance up St Lawrence's Road, and again telling myself to take it easy. Refrains of the usual Oggy Oggy Oggy, echo at the underpass always bring a smile. Bet the kids shouting it have no idea who Max Boyce actually is... Now entering a part of Dublin that don't know well, bar running this route with the lads a few weeks ago. Again telling myself to keep it easy Dave, keep it easy, which it pretty hard as I'm now racing 5-10 seconds per mile slower that my LSR's... The usually fab support at Dolphins Barn, and lucky to get across on to the Crumlin road before the route is closed for a few seconds to let a fire bigrade over the route. Half way in 1:44:30.

Better do a system check here... Still feeling fine, and little fatigue and breathing normal. The endless rain having little effect. Taking a small drink at most of the water tables. Next on to the Walkinstown Roundabout and the sharp left turn on to Cromwellforth Road. Take a gel (only 30% maybe, washed down with water) from the table before the turn at the KCR. Some fatigue starting around here, but very minor, little to worry about as the long down hill at will provide an easy mile, past Bushy with 2:27:56 at 30K.

Got an unexpected cheer from the Mrs. at Terenure Village. Down Orwell road and Park (no cheering, empty roads, nothing new), the Dropping well, and the rain was now in sheets, runners and socks totally soaked. Hopefully there wont be an issue with blisters as a result of this. Milltown and right turn and then the drag up through Clonskeagh. I had run this part of the route 4 times in the last 2 months in training so knew it really well.

Rain now stupid heavy. I have a pair of gloves that i was using as a pair of wipers ever few second. As a result they were water logged and heavy, so I ditched them around here. Walked past the water table on Roebuck, stopping to take a swig, and then down fosters.

Last year the wheels has come off on the left turn on to Stillorgan Road, pushed on at this point this time, and passed Keith before the overpass. Found I was now passing 5-6 runner every minute. Some runner now option to walk or strech out cramps. I still pretty ok. The speed bumps on Nutley usually give a jolt on the hammy, but fine this year. Merrion road and the last 2 miles. Raheny support fantastic, a big "Come on Dave" from Dick Hooper means a lot. Last 400 M and I see Tommy who I had started with over 3 hours ago. Up the pace and I pass him with 200m to go.

Finally across the line in 3:26:53 for 26.40M and 7:50 avg pace. Happy with the result and but happier that I'm feeling quiet normal, no nausea, no cramp, no hunger, all system ok... But after 5 minutes started to think how much time I left out on the course. Jesus you cant keep a runner happy... Back to flyFit and i can get up the stairs no problem, joking with RayCun previously from these parts.

So a fair result for a mostly compromised period of training. Banished the demons from 2022, proved that with running well within myself the marathon can actually be fun and relatively easy.

Now did I actually say that this would be my last marathon ?

• Advertisement

Maybe thats the secret Dave - run it within yourself, try to enjoy it.

you'll go again no doubt :)

In already Alan, But cant tell herself... :)

Lanzarote Half Marathon - December 2nd.

A group of the other awl lads and myself head out to Lanz each year for the last week in November and first week in December each year. With a few of us doing the Lanzarote marathon / Half / 10K. This year Martin and Myself did the half.

The Half starts at the end of Puerto del Carmen (Playa De Los Pocillos Beach) at the half way point on the full marathon course, and runs along the coast, to end in Costa Teguise.

A sunny day with temps around 21c, but a strong wind directly into the face for the whole route. Zero shade or cover from the wind made for a challenging race. Took it handy until half the half way point, where I caught up with an Austrian female runner. We worked off each other stride for stride until the finish, offering encouragement the whole way, passing other slowing runners an masse. Under the finishing gantry together (almost).

Finished in 58th position out of 1020 in 1:35:03 for a 7:16 avg (and Martin finishing in 1:45 for 182). Delighted. Plus a truly great spread after, and a couple of beers in the sun, cheering on the other runners made it all the better.

Great race and a nice way to round up the year... Def again from 2024.

Raheny 5 - Sunday 28 January 2024

Had to help out with the goody bags with the club on Saturday evening for 2 hours, and the arms hips were stiff as a result. This probably put pay to any faster times the next day.

Easy jog up to the start area and watched the kids races for a few minutes with Mark L. Swapped into the race gear and got in another 1 mile WU and a few shuttles before lining up about 10 rows from the start. Said hello to Keith and Dave F before the off.

Off with the gun and knew that the first 800M would be a squeeze for space. Thankfully no cars parked to the right to all saints offered more space. Felt like every runner was faster that me, with everyone passing me. Maybe Im just getting old :(

Left turn and a slight drag up Watermill, plenty of calls of support, and "Come on Dave"... Another left and past the start line and then past the first mile marker in 6:29. Just like 2020 I get a stich on the right turn to All Saints. Hold the pace and don't push for fear that the stich will get worse. The brief section on the Howth road was crammed with runner and the barriers separated us from the cars at this point.

A gentle descent down Sybill hill road and the 2 mile marker 6:38. Left on to Vernon and another gentle descent for 400M, before it picks up back before St Annes. A quick look at the watch and 5K at 20:10m. Into the park and you can see the leaders runners leaving the park section and the faster runners heading up the Avenue.

Up the avenue and the Turn around point never seems to appear. Keith and Gary fly past heading down the avenue. I Turn eventually and some respite with a gentle descent. 4mile marker and a 6:40 mile. Out past the dog park and push as much as i can, leaving the park, with a left back on to All Saints.

You can now hear Dick Hooper announcing results. Loads of "Come on Dave", shouts from friends on the side line. Around the final corner and give it what little i have remaining and over the line in 33:11 for 6:37avg for 590 overall and 13th M55.

Mostly ok with the result, but would be happier (obviously) with a sub 33. But with a bit of specific training would be reasonably confident that is achievable for the Ternure 5 in the summer.

Lisbon Half - Sunday 17/03/24

Have completed relatively few foreign races, so decided to remedy this in 2024, by signing up for the Lisbon Half Marathon. Flew over on the Friday morning early, and was staying in a nice hotel in just off Rossio Square. A few other from the club were expected through the day.

The training was not great for the last few weeks (carrying a left hamstring strain) so I was treating this as an experience rather that a "race race. Anything between 1:33 - 1:39 would be "grand". The weather for the few days was damp and cool on the Friday, Dry and warmish on the Saturday, and ill get to Sunday in a minute...

Had a small brekie from the hotel shortly after 7am, on race day, and changed into the club gear. Left the hotel and just followed the mostly locals into the underground and a couple of train changes to get to the final overland train station, then onwards to the last station at Pargal. All public transport was free to runners on the day (what a simple and idea). Fantastic buzz on the packed train and tubes.

The course started on the "Almada" side of the city, with the first 2 miles running over the massive Ponte 25 de Abril bridge over the Tagus, that we had just crossed on the train. There was a sizable walk maybe a mile from the station to the start area, with bands and entertainment all the way. The start area was a massive closed 10 lane motorway, before almost immediately tapering to the bridge cross section.

Luckily I was allocated "Box1" with about 500 other reasonably serious runners, due to my 1:29 in Fairy house last year. There were 3 other boxes (with growing runner number in each) making up a field of about 18,000 runners. The organizers were extremely strict on Box number allocations, being back up by both security and local Police. Nobody was getting into a higher box number...

Ditched the expos shirt (pity as it was a nice grey branded Adidas), but held onto the race cap as the temps were rising, and the sun now out full blast. Off at 10:05, and immediately onto the bridge section. Possibly my most unforgettable running experience, 100m up and running on a close "Golden Gate" style bridge, in 22C with the city of Lisbon ahead. Anyway, lots of jostling for position, with the volume of runners. Mile 1 in 7:20. The a gentle descent on the other side as the bridge / road looped to loose height down into the city. Mile 2 6:58. Had caught up with the 1:30 pacers here and a larger bus of runners.

Several more loops and we are now down at sea level, and a East direction on flat roads, into the city along the banks of the Tagus. Loads of support, lots of water stations, and Cow bells... A sharp turn after maybe a mile and back along the same road, but now heading west. I've now caught and passed the 1:30 pacers, and feel mostly ok. The little bit of wind that had offered some cooling had now disappeared in this changed direction.

Was taking on water at every 2K station. Temps were probably 24C at this point, and the nagging fear that this would be a hard race. Pacers had again passed me and now moving slowly into the distance. Took every opportunity to seek shade, from running a bridge shadow to a clump of trees. Passed 10K in 45 min and the effort levels were well beyond confirmable. 8 miles in about 58min, where I passed the finish line on the other side of the road, and the winner flying past.

From this point on running was a struggle, running in an oven, and was getting passed every few seconds by others. Usually I'm reasonably strong on the 10m and Halfs, but pretty weak today. Praying for this to end before final turn at about mile 11, and back easterly. Had to briefly stop for shade around here, and again walk / run, for 30 seconds on two ocasions. Had to play every trick to not stop completely, "keep running to the sign post, of set of light" then stop... Keep going Dave...

Finally over the finish line in 1:39, probably shipped a good 8 minutes in the second half. Still great experience (for the first 5 miles). Then a very difficult last 8K.

The only black mark was the lack (or reduced public transport) back to the city center after the race ended. Had to run another 2 miles to get back to the hotel... Anyway will def be back in 2025 for another Crack at this iconic race...

Battle of Clontarf - 10 Mile Championships - April 1st

Have run this plenty of time over the last 10 years and use St-Annes as my main training area, so was familiar with pretty much every path, turn and blade of grass. Dull and grey overcast sky's, but thankfully no rain or wind to speak of. Maybe 400 other runners down for the race with plenty of club vests on show.

Again the training has been compromised over the last period with the left hamstring strain, so no records were being set today. An easy half mile jog with Phil before the start, and lined up half way back in the pack.

Off and settled into a steady run "up" the avenue. With this avenue section (both up and down) you could gauge you position relative to both faster and slower runners.

7:09, 7:01, 6:58 for first 3 miles, and happy I'm making progress, by picking off other runners every so often. with the two 1/2 loops of the park the 4 and 8 mile sections were net uphill, so somewhat slower than the rest.

By half way the field was pretty spread-out and the passing running was becoming an event.

Mile 5,6,7,8 (6:57, 6:56, 7:04, 7:15). A bit of a push for the last two miles, and around a sloppy section at the rose gardens and back out on the avenue then across the line in 70:14 (last mile 6:47). Sorry to miss out on the sub70, but again lack of training to blame. Did get an Individual Bronze M55 and Team M50 Gold for the efforts with Phil and Brian Mc. So all in all a good day out.

General Update.

Started the DCM 2024 marathon training cycle 2 week later that last year, down to holidays in the middle east. Way to hot to run out there, but did manage 9 mile the first week, and 6 mile the second. Highlight was the Abu Dhabi grand Prix track 5.5K which the authorities open each Wednesday at 6pm until 9pm for both runners but primarily cyclists. Had to stop 4 times in 5.5K with HR into the red zone. Still fab and a cool (wrong word) experience.

Back home and the milage building up nicely, (expect mostly 45m- 55m weeks). Opting for the long run on a Saturday instead of the club Sunday LSR's. Really a personal choice as I tend to take the Friday off so the "old body" is well rested, as opposed to Parkrun Saturday and a fatigued long run Sunday. Planning for 3-4 20 Milers, and a few 17-18 milers also.

At the moment the week looks like - Monday - Easy or Steady, depending on how I feel or what the lads are doing. Tuesday Club Summer league 2 miler or, interval session (3*8min or Mile reps or similar). The last 2 weeks has been Race followed by Interval the next week. Will probably keep alternating so retain some race sharpness. Wednesday Easy, Thursday MLR, (out to Howth or up to summit). Rest Friday and Sunday.

Upcoming Races

Man or War round 7K - End August. Small race, haven't done before, looks interesting.

Portmarnock beach 5K - Fun run with a 99 ice-cream at the end :)

Fairy House Half - Ran decently here in 21 and 22, missed 23 for some reason ?

Sligo 10m, got a cash prize for winning my age group couple of years ago, plus it a ball break or a race :)

Advertisement