Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Cheers B.

It will be a slow 2 miler for me on Tuesday...

04 Jul 11 : Just a few easy miles around ALSAA to get over the Half yesterday. Unfortunitly I dropped into the Vibrim talk in ALSAA. We were all give a pair of "runner" and sat down to listen to the talk for an hour, which was informative and fun. However when were were invited out to the track to give the Vibrims a go, i kind of went a bit to hard, well a lot to hard actually. Result is that both calf's were in bits for the whole week. So no running for me.

09 Jul 11 : First day the calfs not in bit, though still sore when moving fast. Just 4.5 miles easy (35 mins) around swords park. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98374691

10 Jul 11 : Ran with the lads from the club. Picked up a marathon program from the club house before the off. Quick look tells me im way off in terms of weekly milage. 13.1 m in 1:45, bit of a progression run, started very slow in 8:30m/m miles, dropped down to 7:30m/m for second half of the run. Have to remember to bring water and drop off allong the way. Took nothing for whole run yesterday, and was feeling it towards the end. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98374699

Ytd : 642
    Mtd : 37.8

Monday 11/07 July : Savage pain in both Knees after Sundays run, tried a very short and slow recovery run on grass, but no let-up in the discomfort.

Tuesday 12/07 July : Planned normal 10miler, with possibility of the club 2 mile, but still pain in both knees. This is not looking good for me and the DCM 2011…

General:

Looks like another week of training gone out the window...

The pain in both knees and the right hip has now been joined with a savage pain in the achilies (both legs). I havent run a step in a week and a half.

In the last 5 years of running, i have never been injured (save for standing on a bit of glass in 2009), like this...

So far i have spent a pile of money on Physio, to no real benefit.

The marathon plan is out the window, the 10m and the half look very dodgy also...

Not a good year so far...

Might not even be able to do finish the 1000 mile this year.

Really Pissed off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

sorry to hear that D. Get better

• Advertisement

Thanks,

I heard from the physio this morning, that there was fast racing down there last night... Some time for 2 miles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with injuries. Hope you bounce back soon.

Yea, some time 9:13, new course record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

That's a pity bout the injuries. My achilles was in bits last week but new shoes did the trick. Might be worth a try? Or dry needling or something?

I better get the posts going again, as im really struggling with motovation etc...

I was beginning to think that I was never going to run again.
    The brief story, did the Half in Clontarf in July of last year, which was in turn a week after the strawberry half in Wexford.

The day after Clontarf I did a supposed recover session in Alsaa, when there just happened to be a vibrim demo. Of course Dave being the world class runner he was at the time decided to do some fast 400m, (never having run in the shoes before).

A week later I couldn’t walk, and was in much the same way until late November. I probably spent the best part of €750 on massage and phsyio and MRI, in that period. But it was just lots of time and sitting eating and drinking that eventually got me cured.

So iv officially run 3 time since December 1st. 2 * 2 miles, and the Xmas Day Charity run 1mile in St Annes Park. Just checked back on the log and apparently I was 71Kg this time last year, now a rotund 83Kg is tipping the scales... Thats got to be worth a few second in the dowhill sections !!!

Anyway just registered for the Raheny 5, and hopefully get out for a slow 2 mile tonight... I may even consider logging back into the 1000 mile in Feb to see how things are progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck on the comeback, I'm sure you'll be chasing me down in the challenge in no time

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Good luck on the comeback, I'm sure you'll be chasing me down in the challenge in no time

Cheers Ray, I think it will be months before I get to the point of "hunting you down" on the 1000. Kind of reverse from a few years ago...

Anyway I better get posting my massive 2.3 miles from last night...

Not been looking forward to restarting the log, and to be honest I have been putting if off for a few weeks at this stage.

By way of some context, I have been progressing my running until mid last year, when I injured both Achilles badly. Resulting in no running for 6 months, even walking was difficult for first few months. Restarted some light jogging in april / May, but probably only a total of 10-15 miles per week.

Going to look for a good 10k plan (possibly Daniels) for the winter to get some speed (was never that fast anyway, as im an old lad at this stage). Try to target the Raheny 5 in January for a return to some level of running performance ( in my head anyway).

Probably only post twice a week with the 3-4 runs and see where it goes...

Anyway better stop typing and get the runners on... :(

Monday 01/Oct : Handy 4 miles around outside of Malahide park + village in the dark. Paths in bits and a bit scary with the cars zooming past. Haven’t run in the dark on the road side in ages, takes a bit of getting used to. (4miles in 33mins).

Tuesday 02/Oct : As part of my planned "getting a bit faster", i needed to do some sort of interval session. Also was pressed for time so 2 miles warm up 3 * (about) 800m on a muddy field in Malahide park. 3:03, 3:04, 3:05 each lap, followed by 1 mile warm down.

Thursday 04 Oct : AXA Mini marathon 4 mile race. Decided to give this one a go about a week before, given its on my normal training area. Got down late and only had 6-7 minutes to do a warm up. As it turned out, the race started late at about 7:40pm, with a field of about 30.

I settled into a 6:55 pace for the first mile. Which felt faster that it should have. Had a few younger lads about 10 yards ahead of me.
    Second mile in 6:49, now having caught up with the young guys, and beginning to swap places every few hundred meters. Third mile in 6:47 on the sea front. The guy got a 10m lead over me at this point. Last mile (turned out to be only .75 mile?) On Watermill road gave it the beans, and passed him with about 150m to go. Last part mile in 6:40.

Finished in 8th place in 25:32.

Saturday 06 Oct : 4.7 Miles around Malahide park in 36:00. Just easy miles. Went to the new Avoca for scone and coffee after, made it all worthwhile...

Sunday 07 Oct : 12 mile LSR with a few lads from Raheny. As the start of the run its difficult to know each groups expected run pace. Probably got into a faster group than I wanted, but thats what pride does to you... 12 miles in 1:29, for a 7:29 avg miles pace. A few nice fast mile in the middle. But did drop off the pace (and the group ) by mile 8... Then just a slog back...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231281315

Had put a caserole in the slow cooked before I left the house at 7:30am, so it was pretty nice when i got back at 2:00pm... Maybe I should call the blog "Run and Eat"???

Tuesday 09 Oct : 8.4 miles hard session last night. This was the rist time i have actually completed a structured interval session. It was 3*12min off 90 sec jog recovery, with a 2 milewarm up and 2mile warm down. Probably went out to hard in the first interval, and was in bits and could not hold the pace by the 3rd one. Plus the 2 mile warm down was nearer 1.2 miles. But its a start...

8.44miles in 1:02:01 (7:21Avg)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231931006

A few questions arrising from this that im going to post in the main forum...

Wednesday 10 Oct : Light weights session in the gym including core and streaching.

Thursday 11 Oct: Second proper session, as part of my winter program. 3 miles warm-up. followed by 8* hill repeats followed by 1 mile warm down. Picked magazine hill in the park for this session. Was lashing rain, so was not to much fun in. Only managed 6 repeats as a result of utter exhaustion and rain.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/232283723

Saturday 13 October: BHAA 4 mile cross country in Castleknock. Only decided to do this when I got up on Saturday morning. As a result arrived at the collage with only 20 minutes to go, and still needed to get registered... Mrs Drak brought the dog along for a walkies also.

Started the race with no warm-up. Forgot what an XC was like after all of the road mile during the summer. First mile in 7:21, and just ambling along at the back. Second mile in 7:14, still ok, but beginning to feel better. Third mile in 7:08, and starting to move a little easier.. Lapped by leader and 2nd place on this 3rd mile... They make it look so easy.. Last mile in 6:46, moving well and picking off a few of the strugglers now.

Finished in 28:42 for 7:07 avg mile pace 89th place. About what I expected...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/233672305

Sunday 14 October : Horrible Horrible run. Got to bed at 1:30am, out with the guys from OZ. Then the dog got sick twice in the night, so up with her... Sunday morning lashing rain and only 6c. Got all the gear on and did a few miles. Really hard to run with this much clothes on... Then the new Kayano with heavy wet socks started hurting the right foot. I just gave up and walked back to the car after 4.5 miles in 30 something minutes...

Tuesday 16 October : The plan was for a 30 min tempo tonight, with 2 mile warm-up and 2 mile warm down. I was pretty unsure about the pace for the tempo section, so i used the Daniels Calculator.

I Used a 10K time for 40:30 as the guide for the 30 minute tempo pace. The calculator suggested an avg pace of 6:51p/m (VDot 51.4) for about 4.5 miles. To be honest a 10K time for 40:30 is outside my ability at present. I ran 44:08 in the Fingal 10K this year. But that was off very low mileage, and i have faster 10K time in training from 2010, before my lay off.

Used the 8.5 mile loop in Raheny for this. First 2 mile handy (7:56, 7:31), then 4.3 miles in 7:01 avg. A bit slower that 6:51p/m, but its early days yet. Just Finished the tempo part before having to run up Howth Road, which would have slowed the avg time somewhat... Have to say I was putting everything I had into holding pace for the tempo part.

Then 2 mile warm down in 8:23 and 8:10.

In total 8.5 miles in 1:04 for a 7:30 avg pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/234280730

Wednesday 17 October : Gym session, including streaches and core work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

6.51 is very ambitious given that it was roughly close to your 4 mile pace of the most recent 4 mile road race. This is a trap which alot of people fall into they base tempo running off past PBs or target ones rather than current fitness and tend to err on the side of too fast rather than two slow.

I reckon target paces at the moment should be closer to 7.05-7.10 pace and take into account external factors (wind/ course profile) and try not get too hung up on the watch

Try to base this off feel the first 10 min should be relatively comfortable and should start to have to increase the effort to hold the pace as the run develops but should not be all out you should feel at the end like you are spent but ou could hold the pace for a bit longer if needed

Thursday 18 October : I had a 12*400 track session pencilled in for today, so decided to head down to the Trinity grass track for a go. The track was totally water logged when I arrived. Change of plan and went to the Phoenix park. Just did a 6.5 mile easy / medium run instead.

6.5 miles in 49:32 for 7:33avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/234614832

Friday 19 October : Booked in a physio session for 11am in Sports Med Ireland. I had forgotten what proper massages were all about. Serious pain that's what... Agony...

Lots of F**ing, and Blinding, 1hour

Just going to take an easy day tomorrow, and then a decent paced 10mile on Sunday by way of catch up.

• Advertisement

Saturday 20 October : Just a gym session and core work, plus loads of squats.
    Still wreaked after the massage on Friday. Thought it prudent to take another rest day. This is still a come back period for me...

Sunday 21 October : Slept really badly, probably down to the iPad for an hour before I went to bed. Sunday LSR around the 10mile course in Raheny, Sutton. Fantastic morning to run, but down to late to run with the lads, so just set off on my own. Felt loose and strong after the 2 day lay off, but strangely slow. 10 Miles in 1:16:18 for a 7:37m, avg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235985919

Monday 22 October : Just 4.1 miles easy around swords park (on grass).

Tuesday 23 October : The plan called for a 2* 20 min tempo off 3 min recovery. Again stuck times into Daniels tables which suggested a temp pace of 7:10 for the 20 minutes.

2 mile warm up in (7:49, 7:40), then first tempo at 6:52avg, really pushed the pace on this one. 3 mins off and second interval in 7:12avg. Kind of put off by a few guys on bikes blocking the path way ahead, so slowed slightly before I got to them... Then 1.2 miles warm down.

Wednesday 24 Oct : Gym for weights and core work.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/236608255

Sunday 28 October : 10.87 miles around Raheny / Sutton (incluiding cork screw hill) in 1:25 for 7:50 avg pace. Just 10 miles to settle the nerves before sitting on the plane for 8 hours to Dubai.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/240451485

No further training as away on holidays in the desert.

Monthly total:- 16 runs, 102 miles (including 2 races)

Sunday 04 November : 10.5 miles on Raheny / Sutton course in 1:18:46 for 7:27 avg. Hard going into the rain and driving wind on the sea front on way back. Just glad to be back running after the week off. Need to hit more runs this month.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/240451488

Also just registered for ParkRun Malahide. Just a 5 minute drive to get here every Saturday, and given its over the same course it should be a good predictor of where my training is. Really looking forward to it... Also i see that the BHAA 6K beach race is on Dollymount at 11:00am... Cant do both?

Tuesday : Training plan called for a 5 * 1 Mile session with 60sec jog recovery. Add 2 mile warn up and 1.5 warm down was looking at 9 miles for the evening.
    (Mile 1 - 6.50,
    Mile 2 - 6.34,
    Mile 3 - 6:39,
    Mile 4 - 6.45 (short),
    Mile 5 - 6.57)

8.9 miles in 65 mins for 7:18 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/241032443

Thursday : Another session this time 8*800... Went to the phoenix park at lunch time 2.2 mile warm up then just 4*800 (had a meeting at 2:00pm and had to get back). Just did these on the straight path parallel to military road, between the first and last goal posts. Nice and quiet for faster paced work.

Rep 1 - 3:08,
    Rep 2 - 3:04,
    Rep 3 - 3:12,
    Rep 4 - 3:01

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/241341938

Total of 5.5 miles in 38 minutes.

MTD : 25miles

Saturday 10th : Ran Malahide Parkrun, didnt really know what to expect in terms of turn out, organisation etc. About 150 turned up and organise very well. Short speech by the Irish organiser, and a few words about safety, and we jogged down to the start line. Line up about 3 rows from the front. A few lads from Raheny were there also. First mile around the Pitch and Put in 6:31, had Sean Mc about 3 yards on front... Second muddy mile in 6:45 (seemed faster that that). Sean still 3 yeards on front. Third mile 6:44, with Sean still just ahead of me. Took a wrong turn by the cricket pitches which probably added 50 yards and a slight drag to the race. Finished in 12th place in 21:00... Nice organisation at the end with no race number and funbling around to take off pins.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/242642045

Sunday 11th : Sunday LSR with the Raheny lads. Ran with some of the faster lads for a change, just started out with them and after mile 3-4 held on until Howth road. 9 miles in 1:06 for 7:19 avg (approx). Garmin with no signal for first 3/4 mile.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/242642050

Tuesday 13th : The planned called for 16*400 with a 45 sec recovery. There is no way in hell I could attempt that at the moment, coming off my relatively lower mileage base, so decided for 10*400 instead. Started with 2 mile warm-up then changed into the Ascis hyper speeds for the reps:-

Rep1 84sec
    Rep2 86
    Rep3 86
    Rep4 85
    Rep5 86
    Rep6 87
    Rep7 87
    Rep8 86
    Rep9 87
    Rep10 84

From rep 6 on it was extremely difficult to keep going. Still relatively pleased with the results. Followed by a 1 mile warm down. Have a slight tightness in the right Achilles today, just going to rest tonight instead of more miles.

Good weekend of running...

Did the Parkrun in malahide for the second time on Saturday morning. Seemed to be loads more runners this week, and more serious guys also. Lined up on the start line about 3 rows back. Loads of bunching and pushing on the narrow paths for first 200m, no biggie... Settled into about 30 place after 2-3 minutes. Friend of mine about 100m ahead, so set my sights on him. First mile in 6:33, maintained position in second mile and another 6:33. Began to catch him up in 3rd mile in another 6:33, and got past him with about 1/2 mile to go. Sprint for last 200m, for final mile in 6:19. With a finish time of 20:14 and place 24. Beginning to get back to some level of form.

Sunday : Ran with the Raheny lads in the faster group. Planned between 10 and 12 miles for the morning. First 5 miles all around 7:10avg. Was ready to fall off the back of the group, when Damo calls me up to set the pace at the front. No hiding now ! Another 4 miles with the lads at about 7:20, with the last mile a warm down at 7:35.

10 miles in total at 7:17 avg... Nice run, and sunny sky. I love running again...

Tuesday 20th : The plan had called for a 10* 600, but bothleag were still sore from the gym session the previous day (dont know why upperbody hurts the lege the next days)???.
    Anyway went for a tempo run by way of substute. 2 miles warm up (7:40ish),then :- 6:52, 6:36, 6:27, 6:31 with no active recovery. Then 2 miles warm down.Total of 8.5 miles in 61:08 for a 7:12avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/245345156

Thursday 22nd: Sore legs and ancles still. So decided to skip Thursday session.

Friday 23rd : Another year older! 46... Jesus...

2 miles warm up followed by 3* 600 (2:05s) then 1 mile warm down for a totalof 5 miles.

Sunday 25th : 7 miles around Ballyfin grounds in the crisp frost at 8:20am in the morning. One of the nicest runs of my life doing loops of the lake and grounds with only Swans and Squirls for company. Took it really handy as I wanted to see as much as possible. Followed by a Irish breakfast and sunday papers, in the gold room...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/247029064

Monday 26 : Just 4 easy mile around Malahide, half hour of running.

Tuesday 27 : Plan called for 4*1000m so down to the Phoenix park at lunch and 2 mile warm up followed by the reps. Park path was pretty flooded. Reps in about 3:30ish, but wasn't really timing the efforts. More interested in feel, then 1.5 miles to finish off, for a total of 5.7 miles, in 6:56avg.

Wednesday 28: Gym in the morning for a medium workout. Then gave the Raheny Winter league round 1 a go. Decided to just take this easy after the session on Tuesday. Did the 3 miles in 19:39 for 15th place. the 1 mile warm down.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248908276

Thursday 29 : Phoenix park again at lunch for 6.5 mile of mostly trail (muddy, but beautiful) Great to run off the roads and on grass for a change. About 50 minutes of running.

Saturday 01 Dec : Park run malahide. About 200 there, probably a few at the Jingle Bells run in the park. Ran and finished in 19:46 for 31 place. for Second race in the week... :D... First time i have felt the benefit of the faster session and my ability to hold the pace of a race. Just 5 second off my 5k PB... Its there for the taking before Xmas...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248908284

Sunday 02 Dec : Sunday LSR with Raheny. 10.1 miles on my own. Not many down in the club, and missed the lads by 3 minutes. Tried catching them on the Howth road, but given they are all faster than me, it was a lost cause. Gave Dollymount beach a 3-4 mile go for a bit of verity. So 10.1 mile in 1:15 for 7:29 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248908292

• Advertisement

Monday 3 Dec : Hour in the gym for a change, getting a bit to skinny for my liking, and Mrs Draks. Was 82 Kg when i started the 10K program, now a slim 76kg and dropping...

Tuesday 4 Dec : Plan called for 4*1 mile, with 2 min recovery on a cold evening. 2 mile warm up down howth Rd, 1st Mile Rep in about 6:40, but forgot to set lap on the Garmin at the of Rep, so stats out the window. Rep 2 about same 6:40. Spotted two of the fast lads from the club on the sea front, at start of rep 3. kept the pace and held on for a 6:15 mile. Rep 4 blown to bits with a 7:00... Then 2 mile warm down.

Total = 9miles in 1:04 for 7:10 avg.

Wednesday 5 Dec : Lord Mayors 2 mile winter league. Was broken after the Tuesday session, so was always going to take this race easy. 2 Laps of the usual course, with a fair bit of frost on the first 300-400 yards. Finished in 19th in 12:46.. Grand... Last mile was 6:09... In the summer a 6:09 would have been impossible..

Advertisement