Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its all about Time...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Saturday 08 Dec : Malahide park run. After a BIG night out with customers on Thursday, i was hanging badly in work on the Friday. Unfortunately the race was just something to get over. 5K in 20:30. Best forgotten...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/250791743

Sunday 09 Dec : Sunday LSR with some of the club lads. Unfortunately none of the club lads turned up, so had to try to run with Damo. 4 miles of 6:40's later i had to let him off on the sea front, followed by 5miles at 7:30 ish...

6:40m/m at this stage of training should not feel this difficult? Possibly I was over dressed, possibly a bug, possibly race on Saturday??? .. Anyway not an enjoyable run...

Tuesday Dec 11 : This was a step down week on the plan, however in missing the hill session the week before, so decided to change this planned Easy Run into a "easier" tempo effort. 8.4 miles in 1 hour (7:11m/m)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/251445034

Decided to give the Raheny Lord Mayors 3 mile a miss, as the knees were sore and the weather Sh1t. Walked the dog instead...

Thursday Dec 13 : Phoenix park for a few easy miles. Again kept off the roads for first 3 miles and ran accross the centre of the park. Bittingly cold, but lovely and peaceful, if a little muddy. Back on the roads from Chesterfield and back to start. 6 miles in 45 mins.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/251475132

Malahide Park Run - Sat 9:30am : Was out on the company Xmas party on the Friday, which left me in a bit of a strop on a Saturday morning. Anyway a fast 5k should blow away the cobwebs.
    1 mile warmup, and a walk down to the start. First mile, pretty slow (had left the Gamin in work so no stats), with about 40 people on front. Actually felt OK, so upped the pace and started passing a load of runners. Second mile into my stride, and probably 6:20ish. Passed a few more. Spied my nemesis (Sean Mc), and upped the paces again, started to reel him in. Mile 3 probably down to 6:1X, finally passed him with about 400 yards to go. Finished in 19:48 for 20th place.

Sunday LSR : Not much of an LSR with only 8 miles. Just easy miles in about 1 hour. 7:30pace.

Monday 17th Dec : Gym for a medium workout, upper body weights and core, with loads of stretching.

Lots of updates to make...

Dec 18 : Phoenix park for 7.07 miles in 49:07 minutes, including the furry Glen, hard all the way around. 6:57avg pace. This is the first time Iv dropped under 7:00 pace for the park loop. Must be doing something right... :)

Dec 19 : Gym for upper body and core work.

Dec 22 : Malahide Parkrun: Finished 15th in 19:50. Better that i expected after the Xmas week.

Sunday 23 Race: Joe Noonan Cup race in Raheny (5.8 miles loop). Strong wind up the Howth road and temperatures around 4c, meant a bit of a slog. around 25 turned up for the race. First mile into strong head wind, and so took it easy 6:32. Then down towards the sea front and passed a few lads, 6:23, 6.28. The wind was behind us for this section however blocked by St annes park trees, so no benefit at all. up Howth road, long slow drag and head wind again for a finish in 22nd place, in 38:02.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/256148901

Christmas Day : Was doing the Goal mile in St Annes park, but arrived an hour early, so did 6.7 miles.
    Then Goal mile, (bit less that a mile) finished in about 25ish place, in 5:02 then a mile jog back with some of the lads.

Stephens Day : 9 miles howth route in 1:10.

30 December : Raheny 10K loop in 45:50

31 December : Raheny, Sutton 6 miles in 50min easy.

2012 : A total of 760 miles in the year, which is not to bad considering that i did virtually no running until July. Probably competed in more races this year (6 months) than in my last 5 years of running. Mostly down to the winter series and Parkrun, and BHAA...

The 10K plan that Ecoli gave me has proved very beneficial. Its given me real focus to each training run. Im running the session days (Tuesday and Thursday) very hard and other days easy / moderate.

Im still a small way off the PB's I set in 2010, however with more base building in Q1,2 2013, some weight loss, I should be able to reset most of them. However the Raheny 5 in 25 short days will proved to be difficult in this regard...

Thursday 03/01 : Usual run at lunch time in the Phoenix park. Remarkable how many additional people were out due to the new year. The plan called for 2*1 mile, 1*2 mile, 2*1 mile @ 10K pace, but with a warm up and down there was no time for that.
    Decided on a simpler 2*2 mile at 10K instead. Worked out well with 6.95 miles in the bag in 47:55 minutes for a 6.54avg run...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/257432711

Saturday 05/01 : Out for the usual Parkrun on Saturday morning. lined up at the front as i decided to go for it, as herself was down to see what all this running was about. After about 200-300m I was in 3rd place... Either none of the fast lads had turned up on the day, or i was running to fast and showing off.... I was running to fast and showing off....
    First mile in 6:10, let a few lads pass me as i slowed, so i would not blow to bits on the last mile. Second mile in 6:35, probably slowed to much, 3rd mile in 6:33. Held on for a 19:41 and a new PB by 1 second.
    1 Bloody second after 3 months of training and sessions....:mad::mad::mad:
    Now in second place on the Parkrun points table... :D:D:D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/259209004

Sunday 06/01 : LSR with the club lads. 11.2 miles in 1:25ish for a 7:42ish avg... Pulled something on the left leg / foot, and did'nt feel to good last night.

Monday 07/01 : Gym for a medium workout.

Tuesday 08/01 : Getting ahead of myself, but full sports massage booked in for afternoon...

• Advertisement

Thursday 10/Jan : Phoenix park for 7miles tempo. Had a slight niggle in the left Achilles, so did'nt push to hard. 7.05 miles in 50:05 minutes for 7:06 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261971691

Saturday 12/Jan : Malahide parkrun #10. A massive crowd turned up for the first real race of the new year, probably around 400?. Very fast start, (where last week I was in 4rd place for first mile, this week probably 50th place). Started working my way past some of the lads as their early pace slowed. First mile in 6:23. Mile 2 in 6:39 (way to slow), and passed a few more. Mile 3 in 6:33. Finished in 33rd place for 20:03 for 6:30avg...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261971681

Sunday Lsr 13/Jan : Only 5 turned up for the morning long run as the Master Cross country was on at 1:00pm in St Annes. Anyway ran with Will for an enjoyable 9 miles in 70 minutes.

Monday 14/Jan : Gym and not much else, watched Django !!! Cool...

Tuesday 15/Jan : Phoenix park for 6.52 miles in 47:18 for 7:18 avg run. Just a decent paced effort to get the heart going. Nothing special.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/263007375

Wednesday 16/Jan : Gym for a medium workout.

Thursday 17/Jan : Phoenix park again for 6.54 miles in 47:29 for 7:15 avg. The plan said an easy run, but pushed on a bit for a few miles. Actually ran the opsite way around the park for normal.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/263007390

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Saturday 05/01 : Out for the usual Parkrun on Saturday morning. lined up at the front as i decided to go for it, as herself was down to see what all this running was about. After about 200-300m I was in 3rd place... Either none of the fast lads had turned up on the day, or i was running to fast and showing off.... I was running to fast and showing off....
    First mile in 6:10, let a few lads pass me as i slowed, so i would not blow to bits on the last mile. Second mile in 6:35, probably slowed to much, 3rd mile in 6:33. Held on for a 19:41 and a new PB by 1 second.
    1 Bloody second after 3 months of training and sessions....:mad::mad::mad:
    Now in second place on the Parkrun points table... :D:D:D

was there myself that day - also PB'd (19:25) - was great that not many of the 'fast lads' showed up - I was 7th on the day.

With a similar time last week I'd have been 23rd................its a funny old game!

was there myself that day - also PB'd (19:25) - was great that not many of the 'fast lads' showed up - I was 7th on the day.

With a similar time last week I'd have been 23rd................its a funny old game!

Sure is... Going for probably last Parkrun run for a few weeks this Saturday, Volunteering next week (26th) as the Raheny 5 is on the Sunday (27th), then going for some faster track sessions on Saturday mornings with the club lads. Hopefully come back a bit stronger and faster in March...
    Might even fancy a crack at your 19:25pb... ;);)

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Sure is... Going for probably last Parkrun run for a few weeks this Saturday, Volunteering next week (26th) as the Raheny 5 is on the Sunday (27th), then going for some faster track sessions on Saturday mornings with the club lads. Hopefully come back a bit stronger and faster in March...
    Might even fancy a crack at your 19:25pb... ;);)

Will be there myself this week - good idea to volunteer the following week, I'm also doing Raheny - might just put my name down for 26th.

methinks I'll need to be chipping away at that PB - I'll hit 18:5x in the next 2 months if it kills me :)

• Advertisement

Saturday 19-Jan : Parkrun (as usual), about 200 odd turned up for a wet and sodden course. Started near the front, and ran with a previous female winner the DCM for about 100m, then she decided to start running and left me for dead. Mile 1 in 6:14. The hidden lake at mile 1.5ish was a bit of a surprise as it was definitely 4-6 inches deep. That dramatically slowed progress. Mile 2 6.25, last mile in wet and heavy runners did'nt help the speed freak in me, 6:30, and finished in 15th with a 19:47...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/264476743

Have to say love parkrun, but after 10 races on the same course each week, is no longer the big challenge it was. Also the time's seem to have stagnated around the 19:45- 20min range. Considering club track sessions for February by way of a change... Will see what that does to the 5K time if I come back in March, given that its the same course week each week...

Sunday 20 Jan : LSR with a few of the lads from the club. Howth road and the sea front, and back to Howth rd again. Savage wind in the face for 3-4 miles on the coast road. Anyway did 9miles in 1:06 for 7:25avg. Not much in the way of banter, as one of the other lads did the BHAA and was suitable tired also.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/264476766

6 Days to the Raheny 5. Looking forward to it, but negative thoughs inbound about pace and finish time... Be gone... Going to run the course tomorrow night and see where i get to...

Dont knock the sub 20's! It's great to get son many under the belt.
    I've done 2 park runs but purposely don't do them that often as I want to spend time doing specific sessions to improve my 5k/10k time. I'll go back in 2 weeks to see how I'm progressing, and maybe again 2-3 weeks after that but it's not a great course for a PB.

I'm sure if you ran a 5k on a pure road race with fewer turns, you'd do a much faster time. I'd also say it'll help your 10k times and make it less 'stressful' while running?

Best of luck at Raheny, doing it myself.

RunningKing,

Dont get me wrong, happy with the sub 20's, but after a 16 week training program I was hoping for a little better..

Anyway you are right there are plenty more 5K out there. The MSB on Paddys day is always good for a laugh and a creamy pint after. Will probably give that a blast.

Going to give the Raheny 5 course a go tonight, and banish them negative thoughts. Hopefully it wont be to icy under foot.

I might see you on the big Day, but with your 5K times, you will be about 200m on front of me :(:(

Tuesday 22nd Jan : Just an easy run schedule for today. Decided on the Raheny 5 route to see if there was any surprise road works on the route.!! Just a handy 5 miles in 37:30, but kind of felt harder than it should have been....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/265461540

Thursday 24th Jan : Phoenix park for 5 miles easy, Also included 6*200 and 2 * 400. Was supposed to include more pace work but didnt have time during lunch.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/265486606

Saturday 26th Jan : Volunteered for Parkrun rather than running, wanted to save myself for the Raheny 5 tomorrow. Enjoyed the Hi Vis Jacket experience, and shouting encouragement for the stragglers...

RAHENY 5 27 Jan: Got down to the car park around 1:30 to collect the race number, the weather at that point was horrible. Very strong wind and driving rain / sleet. Any hope of a PB, well and truly banished. A bit of warm up about 20 minutes before and around to the start line for 2:50ish. Definitially the pack joined way to far back. Probably 20m for the front line, with the narrow start in raheny this is a big problem for the first half mile.

Constant jostling for position for the first mile, 6:16, happy with that. Freezing wind on the Howth Road, snots running down my face, not a pretty picture. Ran on the outside of the pack to pick up a few positions, but this obviously provided no protection for the wind. Second mile in 6:32, way to slow, but mainly as a result of the head wind.

Most of the 3rd mile was out of the wind, thank god. A few gaps starting to appear between the runners. Was still picking off some of the lads that had started off to fast. Mile 3 in 6:21. Was still strong at this point, however i feel that i was running in top gear, and had no faster pace available. The sea front afforded no real following wind benefit, of if there was i didnt feel any... By the bottom enterance to St Annes, i could hear the announcer calling the winner, I still had over a mile to run... Mile 4 6:17.

Last mile, just really hanging on at this point. Possibly lack of strength due to the extreme cold, or possibly the lack of tempo paced runs of this distance or longer, possibly a few missed track sessions??? A few lads I had passed in mile 2,3 were now passing me... Held on as much as possible around All Saints road, but had no sprint for the last 400m. Last mile in 6:46 way to slow.

Finished in 32:26 chip time and position 262. This is 24 seconds off the PB I set in Raheny in 2010. For 6:26m/m avg.

If it was a school report it would say something like "David is capable of better, but with some hard work he can improve his grades / times".

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/266932747

Great running from you! Apart from your better start, we had similar runs!
    All in all it is a good time, its only Jan as well............

Be interesting to see how we progress as the year moves along - I'm thinking of Malahide on Sat with an aim of a PB to banish my demons - you going?

RunningKing,

Yep, going Parkrunning again this week, after the break for volunteering last week.

Im probably going to give it a break for Feb and try some of the club track sessions instead. I just feel there is more in the tank, but its just not accessable at the moment (if that makes sense).

Probably back to Parkrun again in March for a few 5K warm ups before the MSB in town on March 16th..

Probably see your back on Saturday so !!!

Tuesday 29 Jan : Easy run tonight after my efforts in the Raheny 5 on Sunday. Just 8.5 miles in 1:05 for 7:48m/m. Savage wind up the Howth road, blowing gusts. Pretty tired by Blackbanks, and back up the Howth road I was ready to stop and walk. Obviously still had fatigued legs after the race.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/267942497

Decided to skip the normal light gym and core session on Wednesday, by way of an extra rest.

Thursday 31 Jan: Another semi easy run in the Phoenix park at lunch. Mostly easy miles, but added in a 7:07 for a bit of fun. 6.5 miles in 48:17min for 7:28avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/267986808

January synopsis

101 miles run
    15 runs (longest 11.2miles)
    or which 4 races
    Weight 75 Kg on 27 Jan

Great PB today, super running - must get to introduce ourselves, as there's never more than a few seconds in our races!

Were you wearing a red top today? May have passed you just before the tennis courts on the last lap?

Thanks for that. Yeah really went for it yesterday. I was actually chasing John Freir (the Guy with the green shorts and shirt). I think he finished just on front of you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/8439266046/in/pool-malahide-parkrun

Thats Baldy me in the purple Fingal 10K, and John in the Green. I guess you are in there somewhere also???

Yep, me just on the left of John. Going to give it a break for Feb and focus on some 10k training.

• Advertisement

Saturday 02 Feb : Parkrun Malahide, convinced the younger son to come down and walk the dog (and watch his dad) while the Parkrun was on. About 300 turned up on the morning, and a few of the clubmates there also. Pushed for a fast start and tried to get ahead of the early groups. Icy cold on the first lap, First Mile in 6:06. One of the club lads just ahead of me, and I passed him at about 1:3 miles, we swapped positions for the next 1/2 a mile, but with him ultimately getting a small lead... Mile 2 in 6:18. Last mile still moving quickly, caught a few more lads, but only slightly closing on JF, with him running very strong. Going up the hill for the last time, with the 3rd mile in 6:22 for a 21st position overall and a new PB in 19:18. (Old 5K time was 19:41)... 23 sec PB...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/269567353

Very happy with that. Realistically opens up the prospect of a sub 19 5K in the next few months with some hard graft...

Sunday 03 Feb : Big party in Dawson St on the Saturday night made all the sweeter with the new PB. Stayed in the Shelbourne Hotel. Only got to bed at 1:45am. Had the running gear with me, but was not in the mood to do endless laps of St-Stephens Green, so had the bright idea to get a taxi as far as €20 would carry me (Dun Laoghaire). Ran back along the coast road to the hotel (with a few detours), for 7.2 miles in 56 miles. The strong wind and the many beers did not make for an enjoyable experience. But the new Spa and Gym and the excellent breakfast did.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/269567361

Yep, me just on the left of John. Going to give it a break for Feb and focus on some 10k training.

Going to "go long" in February and target the Bohermeen Half in Meath on March 3rd, then the MSB 5K in Town before Paddys Day. Just need to mix it up a bit for the spring and see where the shorter times go as a result...

Tuesday 05 Feb : Tempo Tuesday, without the 10K plan to follow, it was just out for a pacy run in the dark and cold. Didn't get a signal for the first few hundred yards. Also nice to see a bit of brightness at the start of the run for a change. 8.8 miles in 1:05 for 7:20ish...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/270610153

Wednesday 06 Feb : Decided against the clubs 3 mile, as i had been down to Raheny the previous night and didn't feel like a race anyway. Headed down to the fields for 3.3 miles in 25ish minutes 8:05ish avg. Just easy recovery miles.

Thursday 07 Feb : Phoenix park for the usual Thursday lunch time run. Cold and lashing rain. There were 2 large film crews in the park, seemed to be lots going on down in the furry glen !!! At mile 3 a guy appeared up ahead, so usual speed demons took over, was only slowly catching him with a 7:00ish pace. Eventually caught up with him at the turn off the north road. Once i got along side, he speeded up. The training run developed into a full on race for a mile. We both had a good laugh. That mile 6:25... Nice... We split up on the Acres road unfortunately. Overall 6.48 miles in 47minutes for 7:15 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/270610165

Saturday 9 Feb : Decided to give the ParkRuns a miss for Feb, as the times has become a bit static (with the exception of last weeks PB). There was a club speed session in St Annes on the Saturday morning so headed down for 10:am, got 3.5ish miles in, by way of warmup. Then settled in for 7*500 with a group of 4 others, (me being by far the oldest). Sets were approx :-

1:48, 1:47, 1:41:) (I lead this one out), 1:47, 1:46, 1:47, 1:43 :)

Sunday 10 Feb : Down to the club again for LSR Sunday. Slight stiffness in the left Achilles for first mile. Ran nice and easy for first 3, then upped the pace slightly. 10.2 miles in 1:20m for 7:50avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/272144396

Monday 11 Feb : Gym work for half hour. Just an easy session in the gym to keep some general upper body strength.

Tuesday 12 Feb : Usual tempo Tuesday session. Unfortunately I set the Garmin to the standard interval workout (rather that the one i downloaded to it). The standard session was based on a 10 warmup followed by 10min hard (with no pace) then 5 min easy, rather that my more specialised 3*2 mile @ specific pace off 90 sec recovery.... Anyway 9.5 (no signal until Howth Rd) miles in 1:16 for 7:48avg pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/273415978

Wednesday 13 Feb : 4 easy miles around Malahide park in 30:30.

Thursday 14 Feb : Lovely 10 miles around coast in 1:15:50. First decent bit of sunshine on a run in months, that coupled with a high tide made for a very enjoyable run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/273415993

Saturday 16 Feb : Club speed session in St Annes Park. 8 * 400, 500 alternate intervals. Running with the "kids" who strangely dont seem to tire, rep after rep ??? Second week in a row missing the Park Run.

Sunday 17 Feb : Had to go for a longer run today with the Half in Meath on 3rd March. 11.4miles in 1:25 for 7:27avg. First 3 miles nice and fast, then very strong wind on the sea front which slowed progress somewhat...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274809837

39.4 miles for the week
    5 days of running
    2 rest days (of which 1 gym)
    76.5 Kg (Sunday)

Diet was bad this week, needs to improve...

Monday 18th Feb : Gym during lunch for a medium upper body workout. Beginning to fade away need to remedy this.
    Also 3 miles recovery around the park. Just easy run for 25 minutes. 8:17avg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275536008

Tuesday 19th Feb : Tempo Tuesday, and a lovely evening for running. 8.9 miles in 1:05 along the sea front to Sutton and around by Offington Park. Just getting dark on the way back and only a slight wind, if a little cold. Couple of 6:4X miles for good measure.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275536012

Wednesday 20 Feb : Another easy day as I intending to run an extra 2 days this week. 4.3 miles around malahide in 35mins for 8:11avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275869544

Thursday 21 Feb : Medium / hard run around the park. Freezing and probably had to many layers on. 6.9 miles in 50mins. 7:19avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275924320

40 miles for the week
    6 days of running
    1 rest days (today, thank God)...

Saturday 23 Feb : Club session in St Annes park. 8*500 reps on the grass, given that is was mostly dried out. Ran with a few of the younger lads, and a few others. Unfortunately I was the only one doing full 8*500, as rest were on 300 or 400's. It made for an interesting first 200m as most would be ahead of me, until I got into my running.

Rep 1. 1:47, 1:47, 1:48, 1:45, 1:48, 1:45, 1:42, 1:49.

The 1:42 rep was me trying to catch up some of the faster guys doing 1KM reps ahead of us. Running is a mind game, as you can always find something else to push on with !

Sunday 24 Feb : Usual sunday LSR. Lovely morning for a run with some mates. Started off for a small group and chatted to one of the lads that has been laid up with an illness, then an Achilles for a year. We then caught up on another pace group and a good laugh and a fair bit of slagging make the miles pass quickly :)
    10.25 miles in 1:15 for 7:28avg.
    Great run, but very tired all day as a result.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/277478730

Not a great week of training unfortunately.

Monday 25th Feb : Gym for upper body and core. Felt a bit of a cold coming on, possibly due to spanking myself on the Sunday run and not have my hat on ?

Tuesday 26th Feb : Was still tired from the weekends running, and with the cold coming on didnt feel up to the usual Tempo Tuesday 10miler... Slogged and snotted around st Annes park with about 3 layers on for 5.5 miles in 45 minutes.
    Stupid thing to do really, as i didnt sleep at all that night.

Wed, Thursday : rest, to weak to do anything else.

Also had the Garmin setup for 140 miles for the month. Due to missed running Tue, Wed and Thursday i missed the goal by 13miles. Iv set a 150 miles goal for March, not going to miss that one.

Friday : Light workout and core.

Saturday 2nd March : Time keeper for Parkrun malahide... :D:D:D

Saturday 2nd March : Park run Time keeper !!!! Something different for a change, due to the Half Marathon on tomorrow.
    About 390 (well 388, as I counted each finisher) turned up. Knew the Course record was under treat when Mick Traynor arrived. Started race (Button A), then back up to the vantage point, where Micks first mile was 4:58 :eek:, and leading by 80M. Back to the finishing line, and only a few minutes wait before Mick comes through with a new course record 15:48 5K... Some great battles for places that you never see when running....

Sunday 3rd March : Bohermeen Half... Was only using this race as a gauge to my fitness level, as i had'nt run a half since the Marathon race series last year (1:37:50), and that was off the back of low training volume. I felt I was in 1:33-1:34 shape, but wanted to keep an open mind on the day. Just keep the pace comfortable and see where I ended up, and how i felt.

Race kicked off at 12:09, as there were still plenty of late runners joining the front of the race from the clubhouse. Spoke briefly to Raycun at the start, and wished him the best. Also spoke to TRR with the 1:30 pacer balloon, before the off. Off we went and I immediately met up with Dave Brady (marathon man) on the first mile. Exchanged a few pleasantries and I moved on. After so many Parkruns and a few speed sessions, running at 7:00m/m is now so easy. First mile in 7:04, second in 7:03. With the closed roads and the relatively small race numbers, there was plenty of road space to utilize. Mile 3,4 in 6:58, joked with a few lads that were chatting that I had the dinner on at home and was already looking forward to it.. I seemed to be pushing on past most runners easily enough at this stage of the race, mile 5 in 6:52. Passed another guy at mile 5, already taking on a gel (at mile 5???). Again i joked briefly that he obviously didnt have his porridge that morning. That comment was met with annoyed look from him.

The loop was completed with a short hill and a flyover of the M3, then a longer drag back to the clubhouse.

Start of the second loop and on to now familiar ground. Same smells, same dogs barking, same cracks in the road, same few people cheering along the way. Got a cheer from Mrs Drak at this point, who had dutifully came along to support... Miles 7,8,9 (7:02, 6:56, 6.56). From mile 10, it was beginning to hurt, the probably lack of longer and higher tempo sessions were beginning to make their mark. But i was still passing runners...
    Hooked up behind a very tall rangy runner in grey, for 3-4 minutes, and dropped him on the first rise to the M3 flyover. Made my way to a second small group of runners, and got along side a guy with a red and white stripped vest. We ran side by side for 3-4 minutes, both of us trying hard to drop the other. He would get a small lead, and I would pull back, then I would get the lead, and he would respond...
    Eventually with the bit of support and the only hill on the course i got a 10-15m lead over him and crossed the M3 second time, on my own and headed for the last drag up to the clubhouse. Mile 10, 11 6:55,6:53. There was a 50-60m gap now between me and the next small group of runners. Decided to have a go at catching them. Upped the pace and lengthened the stride. Eventually got past them with about 100M to go and the announcers laconic Cavan / Drogheda accent ringing loud in the ears. Mile 13: 6:30. Got past one last guy on the finishing track with last bit of a mile in 6:04, to finish in 1:30:59 on the Garmin.

Was very happy with the result (135th), and the ease of the first 6-7 miles. I used the Garmin to regulate pace. I checked pace every 3-4 minutes, if i seen a 7:xxm/m i'd incread pace, of a 6:3X i slow up. Have to say it really helped on the day.

Now with some serious training over the remaining spring and early summer 1:27 could possible in (the home race) in Clontarf in July...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/280260836

• Advertisement

super 'Easy' 1:30 there MisterDrak!!
    I know how you feel regarding the intensity of the shorter stuff making the HM seem relatively easy - I'm looking forward to finishing the 10k leg of my training by the end of April and getting into some half M / M training.

I'm sure a 1:27 will be no bother to you with a bit more endurance - I'll be joining you in clontarf!

Advertisement