Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid tempo effort. Great to see the improvement over the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Cheers Ecoli, "miles make champions" and all that.

I was comming to the raheny 5 in Jan with only 3 months of solid training in the legs. The combination of LSR, Tempos and track over the last 6 months has provided the improvment.. To early to look at 2014 though...

Wednesday 14 Aug.

Very easy 5 miles on the grass of Malahide park. Pretty tired after the Tempo on Tuesday so just kept the pace around 8min miles. Finished in 40 minutes.

Thursday 15 Aug.

Woke up with a pile of niggles, ankle, left knee, so skipped the run in favour of the TV.

Friday 16 Aug

Another easy run, for 6.5 mile around Phoenix park in 50 minutes. Ran on the grass, in the sun.

Saturday 17 Aug.

Planned session in ALSAA. Club lads had moved back to St Annes for Autumn, but decided to stay local and track based, as i had probably lost some speed in the legs during the holidays.

Planned Just 4*800, nothing special, and was holding back with the LSR the next day.

Reps all around 3:00min for the 800m. With 2 miles warmup and 1 warm down.

Sunday 18 Aug.

LSR with the club. Big crown down for the big miles. Planned 18, but only managed 17. Howth Hill and the sessions the previous day probably had me starting off to tired to do it justice. Also a sluggish 7:27 avg for the 17m, bit slower than normal. :mad::mad:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/361472089

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Wednesday 14 Aug.

Also a sluggish 7:27 avg for the 17m, bit slower than normal. :mad::mad:

Nothing sluggish about that - they're meant to be slow!! :eek:

Monday 19 Aug.

Just an easy 5.1 miles around Malahide park in 40 minutes. 8min miles on Grass.

Tuesday 20 Aug.

Tempo Day with the lads (JF, RC, PD) 2.2 miles warmup at 8min miles on the wade avenue loop. Then 1 minutes break, re-set watched and off on the Raheny 5 mile route. Planning on 6:30 avg for the 5 miles. Held the pace well until mile 3.5ish, but probably fatugue and large lunch have me suffering to much.

Finished the 5m in 32:44m for 6:32 avg. Not as fast as last week, but ok all the same.

A easy 2.3m jog around St Annes to finish a total of 9.5 miles for the evening.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/362561773

The fatigues seems to be building with the 50 odd mile weeks and 6 day a week running. The legs were tired and heavy for most of the sessions / steady runs now.

Wednesday 21 Aug

Another easy 4.5 miles around Malahide in 35 mins. Just wreaked after the Tempo and wanted it to finish.

General

My feet seem to be overly hot at night in bed, to the point where I wake up:confused::confused::confused:? Iced them last night, and it seems to provide some limited help ?

Thursday 22 Aug.

Just 6.4 easy miles around Malahide park in 50 minutes.

Saturday 24 Aug - Frank Duffy 10mile

Got to the park nice and early, parked up just inside the Ashtown gate, and watched the inevitable traffic madness from about 9am on.
    A nice easy 2 mile warmup, and a few shuttles to the heart rate up. Lined up about 10 rows back from the start with FJ and M. We were off pretty quickly and for once there seemed to be no "misplaced runners", with everyone moving off at a good clip. After about 3 mins I spotted RunningKing, Running tall to my left, exchanged a few words, and he accused me of sandbagging at 6:10pace, :eek: before moving smoothly ahead. (Mile 1,2,3 6:18, 6:27, 6:32). Took on a swig of water at the first north road detour.

Just concentrated on holding form and staying on pace. Slight down hill before the turn and slight drag up to Castleknock gate. Moving well at this point and passed one of the other Raheny club guys. Mile 4,5 6:36, 6:33. Like the good surface on chesterfield, and always seem to run well here. Overheard a bystander call race places at mile 6 (think I was 265th). If i could hold this place I would be happy. Mile 6,7 6:24, 6:27. Military hill is always a challenge, and one of the club coaches was strategically placed to offere some kind advice "ignore the hill Dave, run through it"... Yeah Right... On to upper Glen road and the hill at St Marys, actually seemed easy, with the harder part coming after the hill leveled off (Mile 8,9 6:47, 6:53)

Really wound up the pace for the last half mile, and tried to reel in a few guys runners ahead, but got a bad stich in the right side almost immediately, Mile 10 6:39. Through the finish in 65:47 for a new PB by 3mins. Avg pace 6:33. :D:D:D:D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365360836

Exchanged a few words with RunningKing (nice time there mate), and the Wolf, (sweet revenge for the national half). Placed in 263rd - 23rd M45. Good days work...

Sunday 25 Aug.

Sunday LSR with the club. Last week I was thinking about only doing 6-7 miles at easy pace. But felt good after mile 1, if a little tired, Managed a decent 13.5miles in 1:43 (steady pace 7:42avg), proudly wearing my new PINK technical top... :o:o:o

Forgot to set the Garmin for first mile and a bit, but overall delighted with nearly 26 miles running in 2 days. Now just need to be able to do this in 3 hours (and a bit) 28th October.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365360855

Saturday 24 Aug - Frank Duffy 10mile

After about 3 mins I spotted RunningKing, Running tall to my left, exchanged a few words, and he accused me of sandbagging at 6:10pace, :eek:

thats 'cos you were saying you were hopeful of 68/67 mins while running 6:10 pace. ;)

Nice time & nice PB. you're flying at the moment.

Its called being economic with the truth, thats all...

In the same vein, im looking for a 89min for the half ;););)

Monday 26 Aug.

Light workout + core in gym.
    Also 6.5 easy miles on the grass around malahide park in 50 minutes.

Tuesday 27 Aug. Tempo Day.

Was to tired from weekend to give this 100% and so decided not to go to club for this session. 2 miles warmup on the grass. Then trails around edge of malahide park for 2 laps (2.2 miles each). Total 4.4 miles in 30:30 for 6:56avg. A bit slower that usual, but the paths surface is uneven and at that time of the evening filled with walkers and dogs. Followed that with a 1.8 mile warmdown for 8.1 miles total.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/367450067

Wednesday 28 Aug. Easy.

Just more easy miles (6.5) around malahide park.

Thursday 29 Aug - MLR, at steady pace.

This was going to be a testing session for all of our group (except RC, who just bounces along regardless of pace or gradient).
    12.4 miles from the clubhouse down to sea front, Sutton, then up to the Howth summit. Great to get steep hilly miles in the legs, with still plenty of weeks to go before DCM.
    From Sutton to summit its 407 feet of climbing over 2.6 miles. Then the fun part all in reverse. Lovely evening for running, with great views over Dublin Bay and a balmy 20c.

Delighted with 12.4 miles in 1:30:37 at a decent 7:19avg. :cool:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/367450107

Starving and thirsty after.

Saturday 31 Aug.

Decided not to do the club session, as I tend to give them everything I have, and with big miles planned for Sunday I would have nothing left for that. Just 2.5 miles warmup, followed by 4*800 on the ALSAA track. Followed by 1 mile warm down. 800 were @ 3:10 per rep.

Also got gels in town for LSR.

Sunday 1 September.

Big 20 miler planned. Left the house extra early and deposited 4 water bottles around the intended route, 2 bottles for myself and 2 spares for the group. Big group down for that > 40 runners. About 7-8 in our pace group, which fractured down to 4 from mile 10 on.

First 6-7 miles all very easy, next 5-6 pretty easy, until we hit Howth hill. Difficult going up and I got dropped by the others (caught them up going down Corkscrew hill). Also difficult heading back with a stiff wind in the face. JF organised us into single file, with each taking 2 minutes in the lead (inspirational stuff)...
    Dropped off the pace again at mile 18.5, but got home in under the 2 1/2 hours. Job done and a happy lad...

20.2 miles in 2:28:55 for 7:22 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/369197788

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Solid run, What time are you aiming for the marathon?

Looking for a 3:08 - 3:09, all going well...

Monthly Summary - Aug13.

190 miles covered (on holidays for first 4 days of month, no running)
    23 Days running out of 31
    8 Rest days (Holidays or Rest days)
    3 LSR's 17m being longest (7:26 avg pace)
    3 Tempos 8-9 miles each.
    2 Track sessions 4*800
    1 Hill session
    2 Races R&R Half + Frank Duffy (65min - 3 minute PB).
    Biggest mileage week 58.7m
    Biggest mileage Month 190.4m

Monday 2 Sept.

6 miles easy from the house down to the park and a few laps on the grass. didnt worry about pace (prob 8min miles). Not to bad after 20 miles on the Sunday.

Tuesday 3 Sept

Tempo Tuesday, being busy in work there was little chance in getting down to run with the lads. Went to Malahide instead (which had the IRL V ENG cricket match). 2 mile warmup as easy pace. Then 2 loops of the park (2.2 miles) 4.44 total in 30:00 exactly avg 6:46

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/370338582

Then 2 mile warm-down. Had a few hamstring twitches in the right leg, with the rough trail and some down hill pace ruinning.

Wednesday 4th,

Gym for core and upper body workout. Also 5 easy miles around Malahide park in 40 minutes.

Thursday 5th, Med Long Run - Steady Pace.

Down to the club with the lads, and same group as last week. Planned 12.3 miles (club house to top of Howth hill and back). Fine going out on the sea front, but got dropped badly on first assent up the hill. Then had to work extra hard to get back to the lads on the first dip. Got dropped again on next climb, and again had to give 100% to claw them back. Finished about 200m behind them in 1:30:30 for 7:19 avg.

Not to happy with that really, but checked with same run from last week and apparently i ran at same pace, lads were just faster.

Friday 6th,

Gym for light workout + Core.

Saturday 7th - Track Session.

Session in ALSAA, rather than with the club. 2.5 mile warmup. Then 4*800 at just about 75% effort.

Rep1,2,3,4 - 3:05, 3:05, 3:10, 3:10

Fell off a bit on last two, as a guy parked a ford transit on the track, and had to run around it !!!

5 minute warmdown to finish.

Sunday 8th August. LSR. 7 Weeks to the Marathon.

Found out the lads had being doing 5*1 mile in session on the Saturday, so I guessed i would be a bit fresher than them. Ran with usual group (5-6) for first 3 miles, then moved ahead to catch up with lead group, but could'nt manage it, as they were running 6:50s. As a result kept ahead of usual group until mile 19, where JF got me. Good mental prep, running that far on my own.

Had water at mile 7 and mile 13 (and a gel), and more water at 19. Howth hill was easy (7:50avg), back along the sea front miles 15-20, averaged 7:04. Felt strong and positive all the way back.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372883013

Finished 20.7miles in 2:29:46 for 7:14 avg.

Pretty happy with that.:D:D:D

Forgot to come back to this log. Quick question, why do you run your long run's on the quick side?

As you can see from most of my posts I run with Raheny, and the marathon group within the club. I just go at the "Group Pace", which is fast by LSR standards.

Possibly its a club thing? Iv suggested pulling LSR pack back, and its usually met with "yeah, we might look at that some time"...

Monday 9th Sept

Massage in Sports Med ireland, so no running after. Tuesday - Also was unable to run with the pain in both quads. Another day of rest.

Wednesday 11th Sept

Gym for light workout and core.

Also 6 miles easy around fields. Expected to be running free of niggles, but still plenty.

Thursday 12th Sept - MLR with Hills.

Planned 12.3 miles (club house to top of Howth hill and back). Lead out and for first 3-4 miles, strong running @ around 7:20pace. Once we hit the hills we actually maintained pace @ 7:22 for first mile up. Hard to keep up with JF. 1 minute resbite between each new climb. Last one particurarly steep, but short. Hit the summit in 46:30. Handy going down, but a few right leg hamstrings twitches.

Lads got away from me again on last mile. Finished in 1:31:18 for 12.3 miles 7:22avg. With 560ft of climbing...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/374859535

Saturday 14 Sept

Another ALSAA session instead of a club one for me, again my feeling is that the club guys tend to do these to hard and dont leave to much for the long miles on Saunday Morning. 2.5 miles slow warmup on the grass in 20 minutes. Then 4*1000 with 2 min recovery @ 5:4X mile pace. Was only putting abour 80% into the reps...

Reps 3:52, 3:51, 3:48, 3:43.

Then 5 mins of easy recovery on the grass again.

Sunday 15th Sept

Sunday LSR, another big crowd down for the long miles. Unfortunately I set out ahead of my usual running group. But joined in with 2 of the faster girls for the early miles. Stuck with Maria until about mile 15 (19 for her), including up half of Howth hill. Savage wind on the sea front, which destroyed the last few mile splits.

18.59 miles in 2:17:21 for a 7:23avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/376522499

Without Howth and the wind, would probably be looking at 7:10avg for the run, which would be close to my avg marathon pace.

Just easy miles tonight, then Tempo Tuesday, and an easy rest of the week, until the half on Saturday.

Monday 16th - Easy run.

Just an easy 5.6 miles around malahide park in 45 minutes. Felt very stiff for first mile, eased into it then. Had hat and long sleeves on. Last thing I want now is to get a cold with 6 weeks to go...

Tuesday 17 Sept - Tempo Tuesday

Having not done any competitive speed work for a few weeks, i was expecting this session to be hard. 8-9 turned up for a hard 5 mile tempo on the Raheny 5mile course. 2.2 mile warm up and 2.3 warm down would make it an even 9.5 miles for the day.

Splits for the 5 mile were :-

6:15, 6:26, 6:20, 6:27, 6:37

Last 2 miles i was saying that I have a half marathon in a few days so lay off the hard running. So 5 miles in 32:06 for 6:25 avg. Plenty left in the tank.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/377493048

• Advertisement

That's a very good run. Id imagine the last mile on that 5 mile course is a bit of a killer.

The last mile is up watermill hill, which is just a slight drag, but when your on the "ragged edge", and the lads are opening up a lead, it can be a bit more challenging.

Saturday 21 Sept - Race Series Half Marathon.

Hard day at the office !

Parked up nice and early and as usual watched the parking chaos unfold after 9am. Went for a nice easy 2 mile warmup at about 9:25, with a few shuttles at the end to get the heart pumping. Lined up with the rest of the club lads about 3 rows from the front. Briefly spoke to Thomas, who said he was looking for run conservitly, and 7:00m/m for first few miles then drop down a gear and come in around 1:30.

My plan for the race was to run even splits of 6:38 giving a finish of 1:26:59. I knew that was only achievable if i had a great day and everything went to plan.

Off we went and settled into a fast pace early on, with Kyber taking some of the effort out of running a 6:12 for first mile. Then up slight incline on Wellington road, running well, and I see Thomas moving past me (so much for his steady 7:00m/m for first 5 ??). Second mile in 6:34, so another few second banked. The road behind the zoo always seems hard, and with the heat building I had to take off the T-Shirt. 3rd mile 6:31. Took on water at the first feed station, great to see plastic bottles as opposed to cups. Slight down hill and still running well, mile 4 6:35. Needed to hit the 5th mile marker at 33:11 to hit my tarket, and it duly arrived at 32:29 (so a decent margin of 40sec banked). Mile 6 and shooting pain in the righ hamstring, carried on another shot of pain 10 second later. Backed off the pace, hoping it would subside quickly, which it did luckily.

Out of the park and on to the downhill section on Tower Road, mile 6 6:45. Still ok. Then back into park and Knockmaroon road was a difficult section, everything seemed to be in slow motion ? Back on to Ordanance road and second feed station, got an energy drink, and took about half. Mile 7 6:30, and still running strong.

Strong support back on Chesterfield Road, with Mrs Drak on the bike with two other friends roaring me on, nice... Strong down chesterfield, and mile 8 in 6:41. Mile 9 6:35, and hit the Mile 10 marker just at park gates at 65:28. 50second ahead of my planned pace, and also 20 second faster that the Frank Duffy from last Month. Jesus this is going great, i thought !. Still strong on Chapelizod road, and passed a few guys. Caught sight of Thomas about 20 m ahead of me, and moving slowly.

Back into the park at Chapelizod gate, and last bottle of water. Immediately on hitting magazine hill the wheels started to come off. Normally I can get through hills, but this was agony. Overtook Thomas on the hill as he was just about walking, or so it seemed. mile 11 7:01. Damb, had hoped i would not see a 7:xx pace on the splits. Heat at this stage was building, but managable. Got it together around the s-bends, and up past St Marys, very hard. Heard the Ambulance at this point which sped past us. Very bad sign I though.

Mile 12 6:53, caught sight of another club mate (DG), and he was also struggling. Up to his shoulder with 800m to go. Dug deep, but had nothing left to give. The tank was empty that this stage...

Finished in 1:27:56 in 195 place overall, and 23 O45, and a 35 second PB. :):):)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380072670

Reasonably Happy with the result, but fell off the pace badly for last 3 miles... Totally empty after the finish, was close to fainting. Mrs Drak commented that I was white in the face and that i should take on some sugar fast. Struggled back to the car, with her help...

Only heard about the fatality (really sad news) at 6pm, when checking boards...

Sunday 22 September - LSR. (not)...

Tank still empty for this run. Had no distance planned, just wanted more that 6 miles at any pace. Finished with 9.3 miles in around 70 minutes. Didnt leave water out and badly de-hydtated as a result.

But beautiful day to run early...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380072680

nice running and nice to PB on a day like that when many found it tough. - Only a few seconds between us again!!

nice running and nice to PB on a day like that when many found it tough. - Only a few seconds between us again!!

Thanks, Secretly I wanted the Half Marathon bragging rights over you !!:mad::mad:

Thanks, Secretly I wanted the Half Marathon bragging rights over you !!:mad::mad:

and I was delighted to still be ahead :P

• Advertisement

Monday 23 September.

Just 5.1 easy miles around Malahide park in 40 minutes. Nice to run on the grass again after a hard weekend. Pretty tired after the half.

Tuesday 24th.

The lads decided to can the usual Tempo tuesday effort, as we had all run either Dublin half on the Saturday or Charleville on the Sunday. Just headed out for 2 laps of St Annes at easy pace. Failed badly at mile 5 and had to drop off to run the roads instead. Just had nothing left. Finished with 7 miles in 55mins.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/381021383

Wednesday 25 Sept.

Easy run in malahide park 4.6 miles in 35 minutes.

Thursday 26 September.

Today was the first day with no serious fatigue after the Half marathon on Saturday. Decided on a decent paced run in the Phoenix park. ended up with 7.2 miles in 50.10 for 6:59 avg. Not quiet tempo, but close enough with the hills. Saw the flowers where the guy died on Saturday, tragic stuff...

28 September - Track Session.

3 mile warmup around the Airport fields. Lovely fog and rabbits everwhere, but thankfully no planes...

Then 4*1200m with 2 min recovery.

1 - 4:41
    2 - 4:37
    3 - 4:34
    4 - 4:32 - 5:32 mile...

Then a 1 mile warm down for 7.3 miles for the session.

Sunday 29 Sept - LSR.

This was going to be a big milage session. Went down early and put a water at mile 7, Lucozade and a Gel at 12, and more water at 19. The plan was for 23m at around 7:30 pace.

Before the off, i was already fatigued from the session on Saturday. Settled into nice easy pace of 7:30ish for first 5-6 miles. Beginning to doubt myself at mile 8-9 with tirdness taking over, and a strong wind in the face. By sutton cross, was running strong and on front of group. Died again on Howth hill. Rest of the lads pushed up the pace from Sutton back, and i got dropped. Just hung in until the clubhouse.

Happy to get the miles in, not happy about being dropped at the end, but putting that down to the hard session day before.

22.22 miles in 2:45:00 for 7:25 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/383584411

Monthly Summary - Sept13.

219.4 miles covered.
    22 Days running out of 30
    4 Rest days (Remain were Gym / Core days)
    3 LSR's 20.2m, 20.7m (7:14avg), 22.2m
    3 Tempos 8-9 miles each.
    3 Track sessions 4*800, 4*1000, 4*1200
    2 Hill session (Howth for 12.5 miles each)
    1 Race Dublin Half (87min - 35sec PB).
    Biggest mileage week 59.2m
    Biggest mileage Month 219.4m
    2 Massages
    Weight around 73kg - 74kg.

Monday 30/10/13 - Massage and Rest Day.

Got an excellent massage in Sports Med, but it totally destroyed me by the evening. Just about managed to get up stairs to bed at 9:30pm, followed by the best sleep ever...

A little stiff next morning but bouncing...

Tuesday 01st October - Tempo Tuesday

Coach had a slight longer Tempo planned for us. Usually its 5 miles at around 6:30 on the Raheny 5 course. This one however was to be mile at 6:45, then a mile up @ 7:00 pace and repeat 4 times (fast, slow), making a total of 8 miles at close to Tempo Pace. Not sure what the purpose of the varying times was, surging in a race ?

Anyway 1.2m warm-up, then off with 7 of us ay 6:45avg etc... Found first 4 repeats OK, but then fatigue, wet and dark weather took hold. Had to fight to stay in touch with front runners. Got session completed in 54:07 for 6:45 avg, for 8 miles total. A bit faster that it should have been, but good all the same.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/384502169

Followed by 1.6 mile warmdown. Total of 11 miles 8 of which @ 6:45avg.

Wednesday 02 October

Just 5.5 easy miles around Malahide in 45 minutes. Bit of a pain in the left knee.

• Advertisement

Thursday 3rd Oct - MLR

Clubhouse to the top of howth and back. In some ways this is the perfect training run, flat and open for first 4 miles, then a challenging climb for about 1 mile (250 feet assent). Just as you can take any more climbing, a nice descent of about 50 feet (short recovery), then a more gently climb of 1/2m, followed by another gently descent. The last hill is a complete ball breaker, 140 feet in 1/3 mile, it ensures that you are empty by the top. Then all of the above in reverse, back to clubhouse.

The final 4 mile (on the flat again) the pace is usually upped by everyone. Got dropped badly in last 3 mile home. This is becoming the norm on this run. Im wondering if it fatigue, or is everyone else stronger that me at this stage in the program???

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386991810

Saturday 5 October - LSR

Switched LSR from Sunday to Saturday, due to trip up north on the Sat night. Actually was nice to run for 20m on my own for a change. Just ran as comfortable pace. Took on plenty of Water (at 7, 12, 18) and a gel at 7, 13.

20miles in 2:27 for 7:24avg pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386991840

Had to swap run days this week, with a party at the weekend and a meeting in London on the Tuesday. No biggie...

Monday 7th - Tempo

The usual tempo Tuesday had to be moved to the Monday (which as OK, so i rested on the Sunday). 1.1 mile warmup, with 5 miles at tempo pace on the Raheny 5 course, finished in 33:00 for 6:35avg. Finished with 1.5 warmdown.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/387897464

Wednesday 9th - Easy.

Gym for Core and upper workout. Then 5.4 miles easy around malahide in 40 minutes. 7:39 avg.

Thursday 10th - MLR, with Hills.

Usual hard effort from the club house to top of howth, 7 of us out for the run. Always hard climbing up the hil. some resbite on the way down, then faster miles at the end, make for a great effort.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/390296787

Friday 11th - Light workout including core.

Saturday 12th - Parkrun

Forgot to have a race pencilled in this weekend, most of the other lads doing the Simon 5 mile in the park. Went for the Malahide parkrun with the younger son. Given this was his first proper race with his dad, i wanted to run with him, however, I needed a blowout effort, so i had to tell him to run on his own this time :(:(:(, with me up at the front.

Conscious of the LSR tomorrow , I gave the parkrun about 80%, finished in 19:25 for 13th place.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/390296799

Big thanks to Plodder to sort out the lack of a barcode for my son !!!

Sunday 13th - LSR.

New route into town for this one. Coach has bottles placed at various points around town for the thirsty runners. The route consisted of, clubhouse, Howth road, Fairview park, Amiens St, Westland Row, Merrion Sq, Ballsbridge, Merrion Gates, Sandymount, East link, Coast Road, Causeway road, and Howth Road.

Great to have a different route, and the time seems to past much faster. Got to O2 and felt good, so decided to leave the group and add a few MPM for good measure. 8 miles at around 7:00avg. :D:D:D

Got a total of 18.4 miles in 2:13 for a 7:16avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/390296810

Pretty happy all day after that session.

Monday 14 th - Massage.

Last massage before the Marathon. Fiona "the bringer of pain" did another excellent job...

47 miles over 5 days this week.

Tuesday 15th October (13 Days to Go)

The problems with using a generic club plan and feeding off a pace group is that you dont have much say in what each session consist of. You have an idea that Tuesday is usually a tempo day and the distance is usually x.

This is doubly true in the last weeks before a marathon. While I though we would be easing off now, the coach and group leader seems to be holding on to the hard sessions.... But who am I to argue, he has got us this far... :confused::confused::confused:

Tempo Tuesday - 3 mile steady, 5 miles tempo, 2 miles easy.

8 of us running this one, including MK (who has run every DCM), and Dee who will be running her first. The plan called for 3 mile easy, but this turned into steady running (around 7:10avg), then 5 miles @ slower than Tempo (6:50avg), (6:45avg actual), and 2 miles easy (7:50avg).

I didnt reset the watch after the steady phase, so it all got rolled into the same effort. The tempo pace seemed easy enough, and only got tough at 4.5 miles in. We were joined by a few of the fast lads comming back from injury, and a bit of a smackdown ensued. Anyway all good fun.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/391179111

10.1 miles total in 70minutes.

3 miles @ steady @7:10ish
    5 miles @ tempo @6:45ish
    2 miles @ easy @ 7:50ish

Bought a new pair of Asics DS trainers (bright red), thinking of using them for the big day, as my existing pair (DS17) have over 800m on them. The new one are soft and fit well. I'll run the MLR on thursday in them and decide then.

Wednesday 16th October - 12 Days to go

Gym for light workout and core session. Also 4 miles easy planned for later.

Wednesday 16 Oct.

Ran for 1.5 miles to break in the new Asics DS trainers (bright red no less), felt good to have a bit of a spring in the stride again.

Thursday 17 Oct.

MLR from the club, normally this incorporates hills (top of Howth), but due the taper, we left them out (thank god). 10miles (9.3 steady, .7 easy) total in around 72min.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/391954671

Had the DS trainers on last night, and dont feel the best this morning, might revert to the old noes for the big day.

Going well Dave. Must be looking fwd to the big day!

What sandbag figure have you got in mind ?? :p

Alan, that's the big question... :confused::confused::confused:

Was going to say 3:09 but given you kind of found me out before, i wont go there...

Ran 3:14 in 2010 (20 miles at even 7:10avg) then fell off pace badly.

This year I have far more miles in the legs, and lots of steady / hard paced stuff... But once we hit >20m on the LSR's, I again drop off 30-40 sec mile. Possibly this is just down to tiredness, and i wont experience it on the day??

Mc Millan predicts a 3:05:04 based off my Half time (1:27:56) from last month, but think that is pretty optimistic.

Suppose I better commit to something 3:07:59, ill be a very happy lad...

Friday 18th October.

No run day , just gym for 30 minutes for core and upper body.

Saturday 19th October

Club Session 2*2 mile @ Threshold pace with 2 min recovery. Session run by one of the senior coaches. 2 mile on the Raheny 5 course, followed by 2 min recovery, then next 2 mile. Short warmup and some dynamics.
    The start was staggered with slower guys first, for my efforts I got put in with slowest group :mad::mad::mad:.
    Off we went and went out hard, held out on front and got 2 mile finished in 12:16, backed off to much for second mile.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/393525516

2 mins rest and off again, held form and got second rep done in 12:10.

After, coach offered some words of advice for the marathon and the week ahead, all very sensible really.

Sunday 20th October.

With some organisation JF got 16 of us out to run the last 10 (10.7) miles of the marathon course. Got lifts out to bushy park, and we followed the route back into town.

Lovely day for running, :D:D and hopefully this will have got the head right for next week. We were not sticking to marathon pace but i notice that we did get the 10m in @ 7:11avg, which would be bang on my expected pace. However that was only with a 5:53 last mile, not much hope of that.

Really opened the taps around trinity, got a few funny looks running in between Taxis and buses...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/393525538

Plenty of high fives on Merrion Sq, where we all finished. Followed by a slow jog back to the cars in clontarf.

Monday 21/10 (7 Days to go)...

Empty today, and taking a well earned rest day...

you're set for a great race!

Monday 21 Still 7 days to go

Gym for a light upper body and core workout. Got looks from a few of the "meat heads" in the gym, with my massive 73kg bulk, hogging all of the 50KG dumbells :D:D

Tuesday 22 October (6 Days to go)

Last session of the plan, and only two of us left standing at this stage. It seems that niggles have got the better of everyone else over the last week.

Brian fresh, from the Gerry Farnen also came along for the run. Session best described as a structured fartleg, 12 mins steady, then 1 minute hard and 2 minute easy and repeat. We managed 8 reps over the course of the 50 odd minutes. Felt stronger on the last few reps and concentrated on running form. Also think the recient lighter gym work has helped here.

The heavens opened for the last 2 miles, and my marathon runners got well and truly soaked...

7.44miles in 53min for 7:10avg pace. Hard to think that I need to sustain that pace for 26.5 odd miles come Monday !!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/394371440

Wednesday 23rd October

Gym for light workout and core.

With the few extra rest days, have covered 146 miles over 15 days. Probably 2 more very easy and short run days before Monday. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Best of luck on Monday, a lot of hard runs in the body, remember that at mile 21.

Cheers Alan, weather could have been kinder, but guess it will be the same for everyone.. No point fretting...:D:D

Friday 25th... 3 days to go.

3.3 easy miles down to the park and around for one lap, and back.

Saturday 26th 2 days.

No training, just collected the race number in the madness that was the RDS.

Had a swim in Malahide, great for removing the niggles, could have run two marathons after getting out.

Sunday 27th... Last day.

Another dip in malahide in the lashing rain and storm conditions. Strange swimming with lashing rain all around. Back to the house and great smell of roast chicken and all the trimmings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck D enjoy tomorrow

Here we go...

:D:D:D:D

DCM13- Race Report

Prelim-

Wakingup on Sunday morning I felt that the weather had removed all possibility of aPB. Thankfully as the day wore on the weather improved. Monday morning was afantastic sunny morning, if slightly cold at around 8c at 7:00am, with minorwind. Had a greats night’s sleep for the last few days, having banished myselfto the solitude of the front room. Had the customary porridge with raisins andhoney and a bagel with Jam with Coffee, before leaving the house and headinginto the office just off the Green for 7:30am.

Myrunners of choice were the trusty Asics DS Trainer17’s that have well over1000m in them at this stage. I had purchased a pair of kayano 19 back in July,but they have not proved light or comfy on the couple of longer runs / Temposiv used them on. In a panic 2 weeks ago I got another pair of DS trainers(bright red version), I used these on our last MLR and again have not proved tobe as snug as the older ones. The race plan was pretty simple, to run an evensplit race, just ahead of the 3:10 pacers until the end. Maintain effort levelson the hills, and hold back on the down slopes. I had 2 gels tucked into theshorts, first one for mile 12 and second around 18.

TheRace-

Gotinto town around 7:30 and headed out and down to the Shelbourne where the restof the club lads were meeting up. Walked down to the start line with the restof the crew, got in a few 100’s M warm-up, then joined in the sub 3:30 pen justas Amhrán na bhFiann was onthe speakers. Caught sight of FJ (the coach) and Maria. We were lined up about3 rows on front of the 3:10 pacers, and a group of pretty serious lads. Alsonoticed The_Wolf over to the right. I had thecustomary “old running top” to keep me warm, but decided to hold on to it, fora few miles until the temps raised a bit.Got a signal on the Garmin just before the off, and settled into a steadyif crowded pace / place initially. Lost sight of FJ and M almost immediately.Not an issue as JF was looking for a far faster time that me. There did seem tobe less “bluffers” 00up front that in previous years.

First mile in an easy 7:05, got ashout out from MrsDrak who was strategically located at the Shelbourne bar,steps, and full expected to see her with a glass of wine in hand. Delighted tosee a first fast mile (down Kildare St), as I expected that the slow startwould add 30+ seconds, and I would be playing catch-up for the next few milesas a result. Second mile in 7:01, moving very easily and running controlled,but got passed at speed by a clown (guy dressed as a clown obviously). A fewfriends gave the first serious call of support at mile 3 on the north circularroad. Then a slight downhill to the gates at the park (Mile 3,4 – 7:03, 7:03).Moving on to Chesterfield road and a slight incline. Again a surprising amountof support around all along the roads here. Possibly down to the better surfaceon chesterfield or that I run here a lot, got in mile 5 in 6:59. God pleasekeep the sub 7min coming I said to myself…

Went through the 10K mark in 44:24,and feeling strong (Mile 6 7:04). Up ahead I spotted Alan, one of the lads Idid most of my summer training with. Pulled alongside and we exchanged a fewwords, he would have a similar target time to myself, so decided to run withhim until one of us fell off the pace. Down Glen road is always worth a fewseconds, sure enough another sub 7 in 6:58.

Out of the park and in to Chapelizodvillage. Fantastic support, and music all around. The hill out of the village isa bast*rd, (mile 8 - 9 7:01, 6:54) so the hill didn’t seem to effect the pace,thankfully. Still running well at this point, no pain, cramp, or otherwise. Ihave a split time for 10 miles of 1:11:20, which was duly hit just ahead ofschedule.

The first shock of the race camearound Crumlin hospital (Mile 12). At this point we (still running with Alan),thought we were a comfortable 1-2 minutes ahead of the 3:10 pacers. However thefirst pacer moved smoothly past us, and opened up a 10-15 meter gap. Mild panicovertook me, how could this be possible, I was pushing hard at this point, 12miles gone, and 14 to go, and already the race plan was in jeopardy. I moved upto the pacer and checked the pace, what was 6:33 at that point. I dutifullypushed on a got past him as we made the turn on to Drimnagh road. The halfwaypoint came at 1:33:54. Miles 12,13 (7:15, 7:07).

The next few miles were uneventful.We didn’t see the “fast” 3:10 pacer again, thankfully. I ditched my old runningtop, in a nearby bin, as the temperatures were creeping up. With just the clubsignet on the shouts and cheers were even louder, given that Al had on the clubcolours also. Miles 14, 15 (7:02, 6:54). The previous Sunday we had run thelast 11 miles of the marathon course, starting from bushy park. I had a mentalpicture that when I got to the turn at bushy park that I was on “easy street”,and the race would be “virtually over”. Given that we have only run this routea week earlier, landmarks, traffic lights, even speed bumps, became familiaragain. Moving well for this part of the race, miles 16,17,18, 19 (7:00, 6:57,6:57, 7:02).

The first reality check came aroundmile 20, where the pace dropped to 7:12, I guess this was to be expected, giventhat we were running away from the finished line and the Clonskeagh / Roebuckroad has a slight upward drag. Held back on Fosters Ave, for fear of the righthamstring, that did cause problems on the Howth training runs. For the last 15miles I / we (Alan was still running with me), were holding the same positionrelative to the other runners around us. I could pick out the same 5-10 faces /tops / running styles for the last hour. However by the time we got to Nutleylane, we were beginning to pass people relatively easily. I rechecked the lastmile splits 22,23 (7:02, 7:02), so we were staying on pace, however everyonearound us seem to be falling off.

Again the support from the RDS wasfantastic, a couple of the club coaches were positioned on the turn on to Shelbourneroad, and roared on their support. I looked around and noticed I had droppedAlan (at this point I had been running with him for 17miles).

I noticed the 3:00 hour pacer justahead at Ballsbridge Motors, Jesus, I knew I was running well, but to catch upto the 3:00. I later discovered he had blown, and finished in around 3:12?. Fromhere on the roads were mostly a blur or cheering, “come on Raheny”, and “Go David”…Mile 24,25, 26 (7:06, 7:03, 7:04).

The moment of the race came as I roundedCollage Green, before the turn on to Nassau street. The crash barriers were inplace, the crowds, 10 deep, the sun was shining clearly in an arc down Graftonstreet, and I was totally on my own, no runners ahead or behind me. At thispoint I knew I have the PB I the bag, I lifted up the arms and screamedsomething that I can’t now remember... Jesus Running does not get better thanthis !!!

Gave Nassau Street the last bit(6:49), and finished in a new PB of 3:07:24 for 7:03avg, having run 26.61 miles! :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/396977902

The after’s-

Weakly crossed the finish line. Wasmet immediately by JF who had run 3:00:30, Alan 3:07:5X. Walked around andexited and was met my Mrs Drak, with some warm clothes. Back to the Shelbournefor a shower a burger and a pint.

Fu*king Great Great Day:D:D. Probably mybest ever race:D:D. Satisfied that I could have not run harder, left nothing behindand got a new PB by 6m:50s. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff Mr Drak!!
    I am pretty sure I know Al quite well; he is an occasional poster round these parts too.

Thanks Meno.

Was meaning to drop down to McGrattans, but by 2pm, the legs were starting to lock up and I just wanted to get home to bed :(:(.

super strong running - well done. Perfectly executed plan.

The sub 3 in 2014?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

super report, congrats, great run.

Advertisement