Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

nice going on Sunday - I did 11 at a slower pace with the 2nd group. T'was a good decision. I'll get promoted one of these weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

christeb wrote: »
    nice going on Sunday - I did 11 at a slower pace with the 2nd group. T'was a good decision. I'll get promoted one of these weeks!

With that nice 5K time on Saturday you are flying already....

Tuesday 7th : Just an easy workout in the Gym in the morning. Usual core, arms, and light squats. Then 6 miles easy around Malahide park in 46:37. Uneventful run.

Wednesday 8th : Phsyo session in Sports Med Ireland. Tough sports massage, although well needed, since its been 8 weeks since the last one.

Thursday 9th : Legs were stiff when i got up, due to the massage the previous day. I was stuck for time in the run so decided to run the Raheny 5 course, at a reasonable Tempo pace. 5 miles in 35:30 7:10 pace. Didnt want to any faster with the continued stiffness.

Friday 10th : 3.1 easy miles around Malahide park, in 25 mins for 8.10 avg pace.

Saturday 11th : Club session 8*500 off 90sec. Got down a bit late and missed the dynamic warmup. Only about 12 at the session, with the faster group doing 600's. Joined in for the 2 rep. Splits as follows :-

Rep1 - 1:47
    Rep2 - 1:47
    Rep3 - 1:46
    Rep4 - 1:48
    Rep5 - 1:46
    Rep6 - 1:47
    Rep7 - 1:44
    Rep8 - 1:46

Reps seems to be off about 2-3 seconds, from 3 weeks ago. I had suspected as much.

Sunday 12 : LSR with the club. Good crowd out, and ran in a group of 6 for first 3-4 miles. Then we split out with myself going in the front group of 3. Some decent fast miles here (7:11, 7:10, 7:05, 7:01). Wind not to bad...

13:53 miles in 1:37:51 for 7:10 avg pace. Last mile lads caught me up and it was an all out race back to the clubhouse... Great stuff !:P:P:P

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/312103501

Ran 1:37 in the Phoenix park for the half Marathon last year (september), to now run an LSR in 1:34 shows decent progress...

Monday 13th : Gym in the morning, core and upper body.
    Also 4.6 recovery miles around Malahide park in 36 mins.

Tuesday 14th : Tempo session (as normal). Decided to give this the beans all the way around and see what time i ended up with for the loop, (loop being Raheny, Howth Rd, Sea front, Back to Howth Rd, and Wade Ave.)

Is it possible for the wind to be in your face for the whole way around a loop course? Well it is!!!. Anyway 8.4 miles in 58:24 and fastest ever time on that loop. Only 2 miles above 7:00 (first miles and 4th). Happy with effort levels, and really pushed it on the latter half, sea front and up Howth Rd...

6:57 avg pace :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/313829145

Wednesday 15th. Rest - Took a day of rest, and knees a bit sore after yesterday effort.

Thursday 16th : Gym for easy workout, core and upper body. Also 4.1 miles in 30 mins.

Friday 17th May : Easy : Phoenix park for a easy 6.5 mile in 50 minutes for 7:37 avg pace.

Saturday 18th : Club sessions. Big crew down this morning, with 4 separate groups running the loop. Our group was scheduled to do 10*400 off 80sec, as opposed to the 8*500 of the last 8 weeks. Found the faster 400s, easier that the 500's.

2 miles warm-up followed by dynamics. Splits as follows :-

Rep1 - 82sec
    Rep2 - 81
    Rep3 - 79
    Rep4 - 76
    Rep5 - 80
    Rep6 - 78
    Rep7 - 79
    Rep8 - 80
    Rep9 - 80
    Rep10 - 74 (last rep, and wanted to put manners on the young lad that was "winning" all the reps, which i did) :)

Sunday 19th LSR : I might drop the S (Slow) from this morning session, as its never slow. Met up at the club house with 9 other lads of similar ability. Decided on a slightly different route, from usual, out to Howth, including Corkscrew hill, and back. First mile handy at 7:31, then down to business. Lead the group for first 5 miles (all around 7:10ish). 3 Guys broke off up watermill, another up Howth Rd, leaving 5 of us.

Pace still around 7:15. By 9th mile, was beginning to feel the sessions in the legs. That coupled with the prospect of the Half Marathon next Sunday , I decided to leave out Corkscrew hill and 14.5 miles.
    Did the shorter, flatter loop around Sutton and back to the club house for 12.4 miles in 1:29 for 7:16avg pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315401702

Have been thinking about the strategy and pace for the Strawberry half, with the hilly course, I dont think there is a PB on offer, however a sub 1:31 could be on the cards with a bit of effort.

Going to go out easy for 1st mile, then wind up to sub7 min miles for 10m, then give it everything for the last 3 miles along the N11.

• Advertisement

Monday 20th : Pay Day :), and a medium core workout in the gym. Took a rest day from running, knees bit sore from LSR and Session on previous days.

Tuesday 21th : Tempo Tuesday, still some slight discomfort in the knees so decided to run the grass rather that the roads. Had previously run a nice loop on the inside of St Annes, so decided on that on again. The loop is just over 4 miles (4.05).
    First loop in 30:05, including a 7:40 first mile warm-up. Second in 28:58. for a 7:18 avg pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/316415467

Then 1.2 miles warmdown: Total 9.3 miles.

Wednesday 22nd : Just 2.7 easy miles around the park, as dinner was cooking. Then decided to go down to Santry to have a look at the Wednesday session. Had no intention of running them with the Half on Sunday, but just wanted to have a look for next week. Definitely way better attended that the Saturday sessions, with probably about 6-7 different groups doing combination of 300-400s. A few sprinters in the outside lane also.. Those guys really move !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/316833478

Thursday 23rd : Gym for core and light upper body workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Took a rest day from running, knees bit sore from LSR and Session on previous days.

Some people on here remind me of my 'advancing years' every now & then :)

Do you take any supplements (Glucosamine (sp?) / Chondriton etc??)
    I take both the above - & at times Fish Oils.

Used to get some pains in my knees when I 1st started running but not so much now.

You calling me old ??? :)

Im not taking anything as yet, as i think the pain (it is very slight) is more down to tirdness and stress, and any muscle / joint issue.

I was getting pain more often in 2010, in the build up to the Marathon that year, i think that in turn was down to constant road running, and no core / gym work.

Friday 24th May : An easy 5 mile across the grass in the Phoenix park. 40 minutes and 8m/m pace. Wanted to leave plenty in the tank for Sunday morning and the half marathon. Nice to have a bit of sun when running.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317277220

Parkrun Time Keeper in Malahide tomorrow, second time doing it. Then drive down to Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

certainly is nice to get a bot of sun, forecast looks ok for Sunday, once the wind dies down ill be happy. See you there.

• Advertisement

Nice! Congrats.

Having never used pacers to try to achieve a time before,decided to give it a go for the strawberry half, especially given the fact thatwe stayed in Enniscorthy the night before and I had a couple of sneaky pints.Never good race prep.

Race morning and weather was fantastic with clear blueskies and 14c at 9:30. It did look like a smaller race crowd than in years gonepast, which is a pity as I love this race. The start location beside the riverSlaney, and the organisation were both first rate. A race for runners byrunners...

Privately I would have been happy with a 1:31-1:32 result onthis hilly course, having done a 1:30:59 in Bohermeen in March off a flat course.We headed off at 10:05, and I tucked in behind the two pacers, both stronglocal runners. First mile in the town and some of them hills hit us already pace6:48. A small group of 10-12 had formed around the pacers and we all quietlywent about our business, miles 2-5 all around 6:45. Lovely country side, andclosed roads made for a hard but enjoyable run. By mile 5 our group was down to8-9, with a guy in a Samsung 10K T, and myself at the front.

The first wobble of the race came with a long drag aroundmile 6, I lost touch with the group for the first time, dropping 20m behind. Itcould have all gone at that point, as I was already hurting, with thecombination of the pace, hills and heat. Dug in and caught them up after 1/4mile, with a steep downhill section immediately following the hill. Proves whata tough mental game that running can be when things get hard. I could haveeasily settled in for an easy 1:35 and enjoyed myself. Not today Dave, nottoday...

Next few miles all continued at 6:45pace, good supportand great work by the pacers. Mr "Samsung10K" moved ahead of thegroup, running strongly. Over the next few minutes we began to pass a few ofthe guys that has set out faster and were beginning to hurt, and drop pace. Thelast 4 miles were along the N11. At that point our group fractured with 3 ofthe stronger guys (2 from slaney athletic club) moving off. They quickly openedup a 50m gap. Mile10 6:54. Started doing the mental calculation working out avgpace versus time left to a 1:30 finish. I could possibly just dip under with somehard running. Mile 11, up a slight drag and plenty of support from cars on theroad 6:33, I was starting to reel in the 3 lads ahead, and looked like "Samsung10K"was hurting bad. Mile12 6:46 and the lads were just a few paces ahead now, gotpast 3 of the 4 in the last half mile ( mile13 6:19), including Samsung!. Gave everything for last bit for a 1:28:27, 27th Place overall and (6:44 avg) and a new PB by 21sec.

Delighted with that, decenttime and a PB. I'd say there is another minute or two on a flat courselike Phoenix park or Clontarf, later in the year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318721295

Well done, again!

I like how you call the Phoenix park a 'flat' course -
    Are you doing Clontarf? I was going to but having 2nd thoughts after the 10k experience.

I note there was no mention in the report of the toplessness :)

Well done, again!

I like how you call the Phoenix park a 'flat' course -
    Are you doing Clontarf? I was going to but having 2nd thoughts after the 10k experience.

I note there was no mention in the report of the toplessness :)

Thanks,

Phoenix park is like a pancake compared to the strawberry course.

Going to run the clontarf (home race and all that), even with the few bad experences over the last few years (the slight breeze last month, and the registration issue in 2011). With no wind and propper training there is a 1:26 there..

Think I need to bulk up get a tan, and some hair ! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

congrats on the pb, super running. Ill probably do the "flat" pheonix park race later in the year

BHAA 5 Mile Dunboyne (Tuesday 28th)

Was still tired from the half in Enniscorthy on Sunday, so have privately decided that this was to be a tempo run instead of a race. The last thing i wanted was to be out with an injury being carless and running to hard. Anyway we left it a bit late to get to the race registration with bad traffic going into Dunboyne village. Eventually got in and registered, with the race marshals shouting for runners to go to the start immediately. So no time for a warm-up, no real harm as i was running an easy/medium tempo.

Go to the start and probably 300-400 there. Met a few of the club mates at the start, mostly the same level as me, I wished them the best and mentioned that i was heading down the back of the pack and taking it easy for this one.

Off we went and with the narrow roads bunching was inevitable, however after 2-3 mins gaps appeared. Used what ever spaces I could and was moving easily through the groups of runners. Checked the watch after first mile and was surprised with a 6:29mile. Nice closed roads, good weather and no wind, a few cows mooing, lovely stuff. What else would you do doing on a tuesday night?

Kept moving smoothly and controlled, and was reeling in groups of runners every few minutes. Mile 2,3 6:31, 6:32. Was expecting fatigue to strike at any moment and needing to back off the pace, but it never happened. Just kept on trucking. Mile 4 in 6:27. Caught sight of one of the club mates that had set off at the front of the pack, about 100m ahead. Decided to catch him. Gave it everything for last mile, passing loads on the way back to clubhouse. On to the track and up to the toes and really sprinting now, passed 5-6 guys and only only 3m behind Johnny. Unfortunitly the finish came to soon and he stayed ahead.

Checked the finish time and delighted with 31:57 for a new 5 mile PB, and second PB in two days.:D :D:D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/319716819

Good man, shows the level of improvement if you can get a PB 'taking it easy'!!
    Pity I missed you afterwards?
    Did you go in for the food?

Good man, shows the level of improvement if you can get a PB 'taking it easy'!!
    Pity I missed you afterwards?
    Did you go in for the food?

Well im kind of annoyed at myself for starting so far back in the pack at start of the race. You will be well setup for a sub 30, at that next 5m.

Just checked the results and my official finish time is 65:00 for 5 miles ??? Jesus, could run 10m in that !!

Thursday 30th Easy Run.

Just easy miles around the Phoenix park during lunch time. 7miles in 55mins.

May Monthly Summary

22 Days running
    3 Races (Bay10K, Strawberry Half, Dunboyne 5m)
    2 Club sessions (5*800, 10*400)
    3 Tempos
    3 LSR's
    1 Physio
    155 miles covered - (175 miles for June13)
    3 PB's (Strawberry and Bay 10K, and Dunboyne 5M)

June Races.

2 Park Runs (Malahide)
    Dunsaughlin 10K (22/06)

Decision still to make : DCM13 ???

Saturday 1st JuneParkrun Malahide. Way to many negative thoughts before this run to get an decent result. So rocked up and did 3 miles and dynamic warmup before the off, instead of usual 1 mile and nada...Off and first mile in 5:55m/m, with a few of the young lads ripping past me. After first mile in about 20th place?? Kept pace controlled, and backed off a bit, as I was already feeling the 2 hard races in the legs from last Sunday and Tuesday. Second mile 6:24. Third mile, and caught up with a Balbriggan Runner and held in behind him, for a minute before moving past. Mile 3 6:02, and holding in about 20th place. One of the younger lads was now suffering with the fast pace, and slowing on the last hill. Got past him and sprinted the last 1. mile with the watch showing a 5:05m/m average.Finished in 18:41 for 19th place (6:06 avg) and 3rd PB of the week !!!! (old PB 18:55 from Paddy Day)... "Bestest" week of running eves... Love it :)

• Advertisement

Super running, great 3rd mile. I've never gone under 19 in Malahide yet, must scratch that itch soon!

Great week for you Dave, what's next after Dunshaughlin.

RK,

Just noticed that the Balbriggan runner i just got past in the last few hundred meters of the Parkrun was called Alan King, any relation ?

Sunday 2nd June :

LSR, good group down at the club for the morning session. kept up with the lads for first 8 miles, but 3 PB's in a week had me hurting and fatigued, so had to let them go, turned and ran for home. A total of 11.6 miles in 1:25.

Monday 3rd.

Malahide park for an easy 6 miles in 45 minutes. Nothing special, just a run in the park with a nice bit of sun.

Tuesday 4th :

Have been neglecting the gym of late, so re-visited, with a medium workout including core work.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    RK,

Just noticed that the Balbriggan runner i just got past in the last few hundred meters of the Parkrun was called Alan King, any relation ?

No relation, but I've seen him on the results a few times. One race in particular we were within 2 seconds of each other.

Must hunt him down!

Tuesday 04/06/2013

Double Day - Well Gym in the morning and running in the evening. 4.2 easy miles (7:40avg ) around Malahide park, in the sun and swarms of flies. Most of the fatigue from last weeks races seems to have dissipated.

Wednesday 05/06/13

Club interval session in Santry - First session on the Santry track with the club. About 60 lads and ladies there, across 3 groups, with me being in the slowest group:(.

Coach gave me 8*400 off 80 recovery. Had to run in Lane 4-5, as the fast lads (Group 1) were hogging the inside 1,2,3 lanes. About 14 in our group. Coach said that running in lane 4 was worth 2 seconds per 400, so Iv subtracted this for logging purposes.

2 miles warm-up before the off, with no dynamics...

Split as follows :-

Rep1 76 sec
    Rep2 81
    Rep3 78
    Rep4 81
    Rep5 80
    Rep6 82
    Rep7 80
    Rep8 75 - Group 1 lads passing us so really dug in...

Was finishing in position 2-3 out of 14 for the efforts, however the splits were too uneven. If i was to estimate I was probably giving this 90% effort level.

Great track running surface, and fantastic weather for it...

Loving the running at the moment :D:D:D

Thursday 6th
    Phoenix park for 6.2 Medium - Easy miles in 46 mins, for 7:26 avg. Lovely day for ruinning.

Friday 7th
    Gym for upperbody and core.

Saturday 8th.
    Still felt tired and decided on an easy run on Grass instead of the usual Parkrun or Sessions.

Sunday 9th
    LSR with the lads, Stupidly (and not the first time) went out with the faster club lads and paid the price after 4.5 miles. First mile a warmup 7:45, then 7:08, 6:45, 7:00, 7:02. Not really LSR pace stuff. Managed to get 13.06 miles in total in 1:34:56 for 7:16 avg, with the shirt off for most of it :cool:

Surprised that I had the strength to do a couple of fast miles at the end 7:05.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326211746

Monday 10th
    More easy miles on the Grass. just 6:00 miles in 45 mins for 7:32 avg.

Club summer league starts tonight, and for the next 12 weeks. Probably going to do 4-5 of them, as it does conflict with my usual Tempo 10 miler on the same day.

Lord Mayors - Summer League - Round 1

Club series of races each Tuesday evening opened with this 2 miler. Am only going to do 2-3 of these as they do interfere with the usual "Tempo Tuesday" longer distances that are the norm.

Headed down and completed an easy 4.9 miles (around 8 min/mil pace), before getting the race number, and heading up to start. Did another medium-slow mile by way of extending the warm-up, then a few fast stride-outs. Opted for the Puma Fass 300 for the race. As the are light but with a slightly higher heel that the Asics Hyperspeeds.

Off we go and settled into about 10th (out of 40 odd runners). Running strong but not that controlled, felt the legs were all over the place. First mile in 5:45 (fastest mile split in a race). Overtook a few lads on the second lap. Really blowing hard now, and not closing on Guy on front. Finished in 7th place in 11:37 for a 5:49 avg pace, and a new PB by 41 seconds from 2010. :D:D:D

4th PB in a month...

Wednesday 12 June.

Gym for medium workout, including core and also some legs (presses and squats). Also lots of crunches and stretches.

Looking forward to the Michael Manning 10K in Dunsaughlin for hopefully a sub 40 10K next Sat Week...

after a 6m warm up :eek: great running.

4PB's in 1 month is great going.
    Not doing the 10k on 22nd myself as I'll be awy with work - I think you'll do some damage to a sub 40 - if you can get the mental block removed!!

As long as the warm-up is slow and controlled its fine, remember it was only a 2 mile, so fatigue should not really come into it.

Pity your not around for the 10K, was looking forward to a repeat of the Bay 10K :D:D:D.

Would you not give Singapore a miss for sunny and exotic Dunsaughlin ???

• Advertisement

Thursday 13 June
    Missed the usual Phoenix park run at lunch time, due to being busy in work. Got in a rushed 4.5 miles around Malahide park in an easy 35 minutes after work.

Friday 14th
    Gym for a medium workout, with core, crunches and squats.
    Also Man of Steel with the younger son. Great stuff....

Saturday 15th
    Given that I was going to miss my usual Sunday LSR, decided to do it on the Saturday. With a packed day ahead, got up at 5:30, had brekie and headed down to Raheny for a 8.8 miles in 65 minutes (7:31 avg). Really fatigued for the whole run (no wonder).

Sunday 16th
    After a few pints and a long drive to Sligo (Sat night), and no knowledge for a route for a run, decided upon the local GAA pitch, about 10 laps in 26 mins for 3.4 miles. Boring Boring run.

Not a great week of run training, with Dunsaughlin this Saturday. Been 2 weeks since a track session, so probably lost some pace.

Only 32 miles for the week, and no specific training. Must do better...

Advertisement