Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Catching up.

Bit of chest cold over the last week, as such the running has been curtailed somewhat.

Tuesday 26 - Tempo.

First day of school for the lads, so didn't do a club session, rather just a few miles down in Malahide park. 5.6 miles of running including 2 miles at tempo pace - 6:23avg for 2 miles. Also 4*80 strides after.

Cold for rest of the week.

Sunday 31 - Easy Run.

In bits but needed to get out and complete the Garmin 120m for the month challenge thingy. Easy 2 miles around St Annes in the sun.

Monday 1 - September

Gym for medium workout. Getting a bit to scrawny for Mrs Draks linking...
    Also 3.2 miles easy in the park.

Tuesday 2 Sept - Tempo

5 miles tempo effort on the Raheny 5 course on my own (as I finished work early). 2.1 warmup on the Wade Avenue course. followed by 5 miles in 34:06 for 6:48avg.
    Then 2.4 miles easy @ 7:58.
    Total 9.5 miles running.

Wednesday 3rd - GYM - Hard session.

Wednesday 03/09

Gym for a core, stretching and squats session.

Thursday 04/09 - MLR

This is the first time to re-do this session since last year, and its a killer. 12.4 miles from the clubhouse to the top of Howth (680 feet of climbing) at steady pace. Also just myself and JohnF so no where to hide. First 3.5 miles flat and easy, then up hill for 3 miles, then all in reverse. Felt empty and fatigued early on, probably the result of the cold from last week. Nearly stopped on the way back, again empty in side... Not a great run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/583090160

Friday - Gym easy workout.

Saturday 06/09 - Session.

Still staying away from the club sessions, mostly to do with not being back at my best as yet...

Decided on 4*800 on the Alsaa track, as I needed some strength sessions.

2.2 mile warmup on the fields, followed by 4*800 :-

Rep1 - 3:07
    Rep2 - 3:06
    Rep3 - 3:05
    Rep4 - 2:58

The 1 mile warm-down.

Sunday 08/09 - LSR

Big group down for this, I had no plans for distance or pace, so just went with the first group, including JohnF, W, and the Dave's. Big loop from the club house to Fairview park, Town, Merrion Sq, Ballsbridge, Merrion Gates, Strand road, East link, Eash wall road, Coast road, Clontarf and back.

Great bit of slagging for first few miles, and pretty fast too, most of these lads are sub 3. Hit 5 mile mark in 36:10. John had the water out from the previous night, which was welcome, with the temps climbing.

Hard going from 10 miles, probably paid for going out to hard.

The Garmin 620 has lost the bar the connects the strap to the bezel, so I have to use my Casio, as a result no Garmin tract. F*** Garmins !!!

14.7 miles, in 1:50.

44 miles for the week ! Happy with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Alicano wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any 'steady miles' at this stage!!
    I'm good. Had great plans for this year but have been ill for a while now. Still no end in sight and doing all sorts of tests. Running is banned along with anything else fun!
    Went down to watch league race last night. Great seeing Johnny. Still mad as ever. He mentioned JohnF was flying too. He always is!?Trains like a beast. Hope he gets it this time around. Again, great to see you're back at it. I'll be back down whenever I get the go ahead from Docs.
    Give my regards to the gang next time.

Sorry to hijack the thread - hi Al! This is Helen. Sorry I missed you on Tuesday. I was in France with my family, but hope to catch up soon.

No worries Helen, are you running the Jim Wall Handicap 3 miler tomorrow night ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

MisterDrak wrote: »
    No worries Helen, are you running the Jim Wall Handicap 3 miler tomorrow night ?
    Yes, I plan to, but a) I am just back from a weeks holiday with no running, immediately followed by a wedding, and b) I did my 16 mile long run today, so I'd say I will just be hobbling around. I will plead for a really short handicap! Are you??

Tuesday 09/09 - Jim Wall 3 mile handicap race.

Being an older mid pack runner, there is little chance of ever placing in a race. Even the smaller club races will have a few sub 5min mile lads / Sub 34 10K etc, which will always blow my chances of any podium finish. So when the Jim wall 3 miler arrived I decided to drop the usual tempo effort and do the race instead.

Was given a 6:30 handicap, with about 20 runners ahead of me, and 10 usefully faster lads behind, it would prove difficult the hold off the lads behind and in turn reel in the slower runners with the big start.

Strange running a race where you are on your own from the off... What pace do you go at ? Probably set off to hard, but as a result caught the 6:00min group inside half a mile. Then started reeling in 1-2 runners every few minutes or 1/2 mile segment. Completed the first mile in 6:15ish.

Second lap much the same, still reeling in single runners. By the 3rd lap, I fully expected to have some of the faster lads hunting me down, and was listening out for the tell tail footsteps behind. Last half mile, and I reckoned that there was not to many runners left in front. Passed 3 more on the final turn and put everything into the last 300m.

Over the line in 19:26. Happy to have run as hard as I could. Then got a surprise slap on the back from JohnF and a "Congrats Dave, you got 3rd place"...

Yes...... Delighted with that....

Nice warm down and a chat, then back to the clubhouse, and a nice plaque, and a clap for 3rd place finish...

Love running again :D:D

6 miles running, 3 warm-up / down and 3 miles @6:29min...

Call me a sap for posting this, but im still smiling sitting here at my desk...

[IMG][/img]ZdyRtJ8.png?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats Dave - nothing wrong with some shameless self promotion - my FB is full of it!!

Thursday 10/09 - Steady Run.

Busy in work and as a result missed the MLR Hills group. With the growing fatigue, just decided that 10ish mile steady would do. Club house to Sutton and up half of Howth hill. Caught one of the lads 3/4 up the hill anyway, turned at corkscrew hill and jogged back down. Stopped briefly at the Martello Tower on strand road, and the views across Dublin Bay, in the evening sun were spectacular.
    The strap on the 610 is still busted, and awaiting on the replacement arriving.

9.9 miles in 1:16 for 7:35 avg.

Friday and Saturday - Gym for light workout.

Saturday Extra, 3.5 miles easy on fields, then 4*80m hill reps.

Sunday LSR.

Down with the club lads @ 8am, headed out for just a few miles, as MrsDrak had to be collected at the airport at 9:30, so distance would be limited.

9 miles in 1:06 for 7:25avg. Felt strong and miles passed quickly. Said hello to the East of Ireland Marathon Group, running 10 marathons on 10 consecutive days.

• Advertisement

Bit of a rest week, given that I have no targets for the Dublin half, and no scheduled races after that.

Tuesday 16/09 - Tempo 2*2

2 mile warm-up @ 8ish pace, followed by-

2*2 on the Raheny 5 route. First 2 in around 13:03 for 6:30avg.
    Then 1 mile easy @ 8ish (pain still not having the 610), then
    Last 2 mile in 13ish again for 6:30avg.

2.5 easy around St Annes, by way of cool down.

Wednesday 17/09 - Easy

4 Easy miles around Gannon park + Portmarnock in 34mins.

Thursday 18/09 - Easy

3.4 miles around Swords park on Grass.

Friday 19/09 - Rest Day - Work will be dead after 2:00 call, so going to watch Edge of Tomorrow - Live die, repeat. -
    Bit like running, Sleep, Run, Eat - Repeat...

Dublin Half

No target for this one, save to run as hard as my limited training would allow. Also given that I'm not running DCM this would serve as my last official "planned" race of the year (there my be a few Park-runs / 10K before Xmas)...

A mostly perfect day for running, start temperature around 12c and almost no wind. Just 1 mile warm-up and 1-2 shuttles before the off. Said hello to AMK who looked fit, before getting into the start pen about 20 rows back. The first few hundred meters on Chesterfield road was fine if a little crowed, however once on to Acres road the bunching was terrible, with loads of pushing, with the high banks on the road not allowing the runners to spread. First miles 6:46, and 6:59.

PatB said hello back on chesterfield, and asked if I was doing the Marathon, before forging ahead. Bunching again, on Lords Walk and over the zoo, and on to the North Road and the slight drag up. Mile 3,4 6:54, 6:57. Bit of a stich on way down to the roundabout back on chesterfield, but it duly disappeared after 2-3 minutes. If I could just keep running sub 7avg I'd be happy. Mile 5,6 6:56, 6:53. Got an unexpected "go on Dave" from a stationery AMK, on exiting the Park on Whites Road.

Uneventful next few miles. Took an energy drink on Ordnance Survey Rd. Mile 7,8 6:53, 6:59. Got to the exit of the park (around 10 miles) in 68:40, around 40 seconds faster that the Frank Duffy 10m last month. Plenty of gaps in runners now. Caught sight of the 1:30 pacers way up the road, forget that Dave... mile 10-11 6:48, 6:54.

Caught sight of PatB, up ahead, and was reeling him in quickly. Passed him before mile 12. Hard up Glen road (mile 12 - 7:19 - Pissed I couldn't hold sub 7)). Passed a few other struggling runners, but must of us were struggling at this stage anyway. On to the last 1/2 mile and upped the pace slightly. Under the Finish Gantry in 1:31:40 for 6:57avg pace and placed 533 overall and 42nd O45.

5 minutes faster that the R&R in Aug, but 5 minutes slower that last year. Still happy there was no pain, and acquitted myself pretty well.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/596328092

Back to the grass car park at Castleknock gate and found the car boxed in, by late comers. If you cant run sub 1:30, then don't F***ing double park... After a 17 point turn I eventually got out..

Home to the smell of a fab beef casserole in the slow cooker since 7am that morning...

Sunday LSR.

Big group down to the club for this one. Plenty of us in the front group (12). Loads of slagging and a good laugh, in perfect running weather. 10.3 miles in 1:17.

What the day after a race is all about....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/596328182

Nice report and steady progress back.

Cheers Alan,

It was a bit of a shock seeing you sitting there "sunning yourself", watching the world go by...

I see that your considering the Athlone 3/4, I might give that a go also as a "sight seeing race"...

With no more races pencilled in for the rest of the year the running has taken a bit of a back seat over the last week.

Gym - Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday 24/09/2014 - Easy run on Grass 3.8 miles as the son was playing football.

Sunday 28/09/2014 - LSR

Had a mind to run the Ferns Half marathon in Wexford today, but with the drive to Belfast and back and also the Ryder cup, and a late start time of 12:00pm, I decided to give it a miss.
    Just went for a handy run around Howth Hill, from the clubhouse. Lovely day for running no wind, sea like a mirror, and Howth hill as steep as ever. Stopped at the tap on Corkscrew hill (about 8 miles in) for a cooling drink.
    Total of 12.55 miles in 1:35.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/601516486

Monday 29 September.

Gym for a medium to heavy workout. The summer of running has taken its toll on the guns, time to rebuild. I re-started running in 3rd week April at 81.5kg, now a slightly less formidable 75.2kg tips the scales...

Tuesday 30 September.

Phoenix park for 6.5 miles steady. What a lovely day to run in the park. Big project delivered yesterday, so a guilt free run at lunch time !
    Steady 6.5 miles @ 7:20 avg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/602342304

After Gym for a shower and a for light weights, and squats.
    Could have sworn that Morena Baccarin (Brody's wife from Homeland) was in the gym training also. :cool:.

• Advertisement

Downshifted the training last week. The normal weeks looks like 4-5 days running with the remainder Light to medium gym work, with a double on Wednesday. Last week not so much...

Wednesday 01/10/2014 - Gym for heavy session.

Thursday 02/10/2014 - Board meeting in work and as a result in no mood to do the run justice. 5 mile around St Anne's park in 38mins.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/606759924

Sunday 05/10/2014 - Sunday LSR
    Set out with the normal few lads for the Sunday session. Nice day to run, with a good route into town, along the river and back out to the coast and home. With a few faster miles in for good measure.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/606759941

11.6miles in 1:24 for 7:18 pace. Felt very strong for most of the run with the lack of gym and running this week.

Tuesday 07/10 - Tempo Tuesday !

Ran this session on my own for a change, as I have been a regulator visitor to "JF's lap of pain" other wise know as the Raheny 5 mile loop.

Started with 2.5 mile warm-up on the wade avenue circuit @ 7:48 pace.

Lined up (on my own) at the start of the 5 mile, hoping to run 6:45 pace for the 5 miles. Kept the running hard but controlled for most of the lap. Still amazed that when the concentration shifts the pace inevitable drops and the running form deteriorates. Still happy to hold on and complete the 5 miles 33:38 @ 6:43 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/608060130

Happy that this is my fastest 5 miler of the year (just). Shows that you do get out what you put in, i.e. not much...

Finished with 1.5 miles cool down @ 8:10 pace.

Wednesday 08/10 - Gym for a medium, arms and core workout.

Away in Paris at the Motor show with the younger son, so not much running, but lots of nice metal !

Sunday 12/October - LSR

With the marathon only 2 weeks away there was a big group of lads down for this LSR. Had a handy 10 mile in mind, but got cajoled in to doing 14.5m with them. Nice route and one of the best days to run of the year.

Raheny, Fairview park, IFSC, (started to run toward the 3 Arena with Thomas) but the "wimping out" comment gets me every time, so back with the gang. Then Merrion Sq, Ballsbridge, Merrion Gates, Sandymount, East link, Alfie Byrne, and back. A good laugh most of the way around. As usual bottles provided in strategic locations by the Boss, JF.

Ended up with 14.56 miles in 1:46 for 7:21 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/611666545

After, had brekie with PB and heard about his upcoming attempt to run sub 3 in DCM, at 60 years of age.

Tuesday 14/10 -
    Instead of the usually Tempo Tuesday John opted for a steady run instead, I duly decided that a steady run trumps a hard tempo any day of the week...

Just 3 of us down for the run, sheltered and steady down to Fairview park, and several 7:1X miles, but once we turned onto the sea front and the strong head wind the pace went out the window...

9 miles in 1:07 for 7:31 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/612947412

Wednesday 15/10 - Gym for upper body and core workout. Liking the gym again.

Going to do up a specific 10K program for the decent attempt on the Raheny 5 in January.

Friday 17/10 - Morning,

Gym for light core and upper workout. just what the Dr ordered after a night on the tiles...

Friday 17/10 - Lunch

Out to the PP for 6.5 miles steady @7:30. Had to hold back on the pace despite plenty of energy, for the Sunday run which is the last 10 miles of the Marathon route. Probably going to run this one hard, with some of the faster lads and see what happens..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/614219410

• Advertisement

Also just arrived from the amazon, love prezzies on a Friday afternoon:D:D

A bit of reading for the weekend, might even re-consider racing a Marathon again in 2015. Have to see what Mr Pfitzinger says..

9q3eTz0.jpg

Sunday LSR - Last 10 miles of the DCM route.

While not doing the DCM, it was too good an opportunity to pass up doing the last 10 miles with the lads. Met up at the clubhouse at 7:30 for lift out to the KCR in Terenure. Pretty windy starting off at 8:00, but the houses / roads did afford us some level of shelter. Plenty of steady miles and a good bit of banter.

The drag from over the dodder river on the Clonskeagh road up to the top of Fosters Avenue is as bad as ever. Wind in the face and running away from the finish line is always difficult.

However from the turn on to Merrion Rd, the finish does approach very quickly, down to a combination of the actual shorter route and being all the easier for it. The final last 1/2 mile to the finish on Merrion Sq, from the turn off Haddington Rd, is a great run in, completely flat and you can really open the taps to the finish line.

Finished with 10.3 miles in 1:14 for 7:12avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/616460723

Cooled down with a 2.3mile @ 7:40 pace, back to the car in Clontarf dart station.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/616460730

Overall a great mornings running - 12.6 miles.

Tuesday 21/October - Steady

Down to the clubhouse well before the lads, and was not going to wait around for 40 odd minutes to then run my guts out, so set off on my own. With the nights rapidly closing in I decided on the coast road, cycle path is its as flat as a pancake and relatively quiet, rather that the uneven camber and the traffic noise from the Howth Road (tends to upset my running karma).

The relative speed endurance is returning at last, both from a physical and also mental point of view. The confidence that holding a steady pace and also being able to drop a gear is nearly what it was last year. Nice run.

8.3 miles at a steady pace, giving 7:16 avg in 1:00:30.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617696271

Not being doing much lately...

Wednesday 22/10 - Easy.

Gym in the morning for core and bits.

Also 3.6 miles around Malahide park on the grass at 8:21 pace.

Saturday 25/10 - Steady.

Ran 8.5 miles at steady pace around Raheny / Clontarf, the 8.5 mile loop. Tried to break the 1:00 hour barrier, but just failed.

8.5 miles in 1:01 for 7:14 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/621810768

Monday 27/10 - LSR.

12 miles around the quiet roads of Dublin city (as most of the roads were closed for the DCM) @ 7:12pace. Took in the park and the S bends and back up the Liffey on the marathon route (opposite direction), and empty closed roads.

Very humid day and glad I was not running to far, with the new route and the gusting wind, it would not make for a pleasant experience for 3 hours.

Walked out to Merrion St and gave shout outs for the lads running, at mile 26. JF seemed a broken man finishing at 3:13, 14 minutes off his target. DK, stopped completely disoriented with 400 meters to go, with the clock at 2:55, he did make it @ 2:57:??

Despite plans to up the intensity of the running, things seem to have gone in the other direction. I have found solace in the sweet embrace of whiskey! after a suggestion by AMK in his log some posts back ! Anyway enjoying the good life at the moment ! Fine dining and French wine all the way !

02/11/2014 Sunday,

6.5 easy miles with the lads, most of the group had the tales of wow from the DCM the week before. unanimously sounded like a hard day at the office...

04/11/2014 Tuesday.

Took a day off work to do some gardening, and a spot of running (7.5 miles) on the sea front, Sutton and back. Hard going with all the fine living over the last few weeks. Really need to cut that out.

Thursday 06/11/2014 - PP

Tiz Thursday, so Tiz the phoenix Park for me. 6.4 miles @ steady pace 7:35 avg, around a warm and pleasant PP. Loads of the trees still have a full complement of leaves, with all the warm weather. Also ran in the vest and shorts, after the long sleeve top proved to warm...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/627574425

Nice run at lunch, sitting here now on the conference call stress free. :):)

A change is as good as a rest !

Not doing much at the moment, partially cause I don't have any goal races, partly down to the fact that im enjoying the gym so much.

Sunday 9/November - LSR.

Most of the lads back and running after marathon duty. Nice cool weather for a change for 10.3 miles into town along the Quays and back on the sea front. Good chat and a few laughs for an easy 7:41avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/630884913

The flood defences (sandbags) on Clontarf, made for an interesting obstacle course. Interesting trying to hurdle when there are 8 mile in the legs...

Gym on 07,09,10,12,13th November...

Hope the 'guns' are in good shape. :)

Better shape than the running :D:D

All quiet on the running front !

Friday 14/11 - PP Steady.

PP at lunch time, for a nice rain soaked run. Seriously Iv never seen the park as wet, rivers running down the roads, and lakes across the paths.

6.6 miles in 50 minutes for 7:41avg

Saturday 15/11 - ALSAA Track.

Very short 400's, again just trying to maintain the little bit of fitness I have.

4*400
    1-89 sec
    2-88 sec
    3-87 sec
    4-76 sec

Sunday 16/11 - LSR

Down with the lads for 7.9 miles steady @ 7:28 avg. Mostly ran on my own as they were yapping to much and running to slow.. :mad::mad::mad:

Running mojo is disappearing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Sunday 16/11 - LSR

Down with the lads for 7.9 miles steady @ 7:28 avg. Mostly ran on my own as they were yapping to much and running to slow.. :mad::mad::mad:

Running mojo is disappearing ![/QUOTE]

Was wondering what got into ya alright ! Just gonna start the Raheny 5, thread, let me know if you're up for some interval / tempo midweek stuff on the course, I really wanna break 30 !

christeb wrote: »
    Sunday 16/11 - LSR

Was wondering what got into ya alright ! Just gonna start the Raheny 5, thread, let me know if you're up for some interval / tempo midweek stuff on the course, I really wanna break 30 !

Ah B,

Yeah, would be into doing a bit of tempo work alright, cant say I have your lofty sub 30 ambitions for the Raheny 5, but still would like to acquit myself well, as I didn't rut it al all last year...

PM me and we can sort out a training day and a bit of a plan..

Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 18-21 November
    Gym for general fitness and strength.

Saturday 22/November

ALSAA for an easy 4*400 with 1 mile warm-up and half mile warm-down.
    Rep1 - 89
    Rep2 - 90
    Rep3 - 87
    Rep4 - 82

Sunday 23/November

Brought down to the wilds of Wicklow by Mrs Drak for the birthday. Another year closer to the M50.

Had no idea where to run, as the roads around Enniskerry are way to narrow and winding. Anyway, got in 5.3 mile easy @8m/m pace. Then a swim and a massage and finally brekie sitting outside looking at the sugar loaf. Life is good.:)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/639569151

Tuesday 25/November

Just easy mile in the PP, with 2 faster one dropped in. All of the gym work is starting to bulk me up. Holding a tempo pace seems a little more difficult that the autumn, then again, im doing very low miles at the moment.

7.1 miles in 53mins for 7:34avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/639656685

Clontarf Half Marathon - Saturday 29/November.

I had little or no expectation for this race, rather something to do on a hopefully calm and sunny Saturday morning, to get the appetite up... Also its kind of a home race, given I do most of my training on part of the route.
    Was surprised to see such a large turn out for a winter race, probably around 2000 for the half, and 500 for the 5 miler. Iv done the summer version of this race in years gone past and number were < 300. Registration was pretty efficient, with nothing other that a race number being offered, no shirt or medal (you could get a medal, but had to pay extra).

Started near the back of the first wave, with as I mentioned no expectations, given I have not run anything longer that 10 miles in the last 4 weeks. Moved past plenty of joggers for first few miles, up to the wooden bridge. Where I probably got into my race proper pace group. The beach section was as usual slightly strange, with the softer sand under foot, traction can be a problem. Also with the expanse of space and no landmarks, its difficult to gauge run progress.

On to the causeway road, and first water station, very efficiently run. Also we had a section of the road close for us which was nice... First few miles were 7:2X, 7:1X. The nice thing about an out and back course is you can see the leaders and gauge where you are in relation to them. At mile 5.5ish Gary O'Hanlon came flying past in the other direction, he must have been at mile 7ish at that point, with a 1/2 a mile lead over 2nd place...

From the turn at mile 6.5, I just kept the head down and picked off runners. maintaining 7:1X pace, knowing anything sub 7 pace would lead to problems at the end. Also nice to see masses of runners still to make the turn at half way.

Back to the cause way road, and beach section. A few shout outs from Raheny club mates doing marshalling duties for that day. Back on the wooden bridge and fatigue starting to set in. Amazing how the fitness dwindles when your not putting in the longer miles on a regular basis. :(

Upped the pace for the last bit, with great support from the crowds to the finish line. Under the finish gantry in 1:34:55 for 7:15avg and place 163...

Happy to have run the race, and got in a good workout on a nice winter morning...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/643098016

Sunday 30/Nov.

Gym for core and general workout. - Just keeping the gym work going which is possibly accounting for my slight ambivalence toward running at the moment. Need to get the 5 mile training started properly, which will probably switch things around again...

Nice work, not too shabby at all - your splits look fairly stable, the wind must not have been a factor on the beach??

Nice work, not too shabby at all - your splits look fairly stable, the wind must not have been a factor on the beach??

Ah Alan, yeah a calm day in Clontarf for a change...

I still remember that Bay 10K a few years ago, and nearly being blown out to sea :eek:

LONG TIME NO UPDATE !!!

Running is still going through the doldrums, only really getting out for 1 run a week, and even that is a struggle. Far to many parties this year !!!

04/12/2014 Thursday
    Work is dead in December so took the day off. Nice run around Howth Hill, taking in the extra Sutton Dingy club and Cork screw Hill, with a last diversion taking me up Thormamby Road, and back down to the village.
    7.1 miles in 55 odd mins for 7:50ish...

05/12 - Friday - Gym for Core and upper.

06/12/2014 Saturday
    Up to ALSAA track with my younger son for a few 400's. Had to drive to Antrim and back on the day (260miles) after this so was holding way back on the session.

1 mile Warmup. - Then 4*400 @ 89,89,87,81

07/12/2014 Sunday
    Down to Raheny for the usual Sunday run and yap. 7.5 miles easy mostly on my own as most of the group are doing Rotterdam and going long already.
    7.5 miles in 1 hour for 7:50ish...

08/12 - Gym - Core and upper.

09/12/2014 Wednesday.
    Another day off and another wet and freezing run. Had to wear leggings and was not really into it. Still a cracking brekie made up for a bit of the disappointment.
    4.5 miles in 35 mins.

13,16,17- All Gym for core and upper.

18/12/2014 - Thursday
    Hard going around the Phoenix park in the lashing rain, but relatively warm wind.
    6 miles in around 50 mins, no Garmin.

2014 - A running year I'd like to forget.

I started out in January with an injury to the cartilage in my right knee, sustained from DCM13. As a result there was pretty much no running of any sort until May last year, and that was a very light and gradual build up, for fear that the injury might return.

At that stage motivation and a lack of race goals, ensured that the running stayed a low priority for the remained of the year. The training group from DCM 2013 has mostly disbanded, however the couple of stalwarts still together were now in DCM2014 training mode, and as a result any session / LSR's I jumped into I was quickly dropped.

The excellent Xmas 2014 party season, with more fine meals and fine wine that I can remember also lead to Dave now tipping the scales at 81.5kg, with my last run being Dec18th (logged below). Iv also taken an unhealthy interest in the gym for the last few months, which is only 2 minutes from my office, resulting in guns of steel and abs to die for... NOT.

In saying all of the above, there were a few decent runs in the year. The Race series 10miler and the Half were both reasonably ok, with a 69 minute for the 10miler and 1:31 for the half. All of the par runs were during the summer and suffered as a result of the all to brief return to running.

In terms of 2015, Im going to try to concentrate on the shorter stuff for a while, with 5K and 10K being the distance of choice. Not saying im not going to do the odd half if it is of interest. May also try a few track races if they are on.

No specific programs, bar the bits that I can pick up from some of the regular boardsies log and plans along the way. Also the following treads - "The Middle Distance Thread" and "The Continuity training thread"

Just checked my miles run total for last year, and its 666, says it all really...

Sunday - 04/Jan/2015

Was going to head with for an 8am start with the lads, but by time the car was defrosted, I was late. When I got down to Raheny the footpaths were pretty icy, so decided to give the paths / roads a miss. Opted instead for the inside loop of St Annes Park.
    While the grass was indeed icy, the underfoot was still boggy and very soft. Runners got ruined.

4.6 miles in a slow 38mins for 8:20 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/665756924

• Advertisement

Monday + Wednesday 05/07...

Gym work for core and upper. Thinking hard about reducing this to 1-2 session a week, down from the current 3-4. After the lack of running in Nov and Dec, I seem to have put on a fair bit of muscle.

Tuesday 06/Jan

After taking a half day from work to patch the leaky conservatory roof, I had a spare daylight hour for some easy running around the local. 5 miles in 39 minutes, that felt like a steady run.

Wednesday 07/01

Gym for core and upper. Feeling the onset of a chest cold, plus no energy. Expected this time of the year really.

Friday 09/01

Gym for usual before work. Cold well and truly manifested, so skipped the usual PP steady lunch time run yesterday.

Have registered for the Raheny 5 (Sunday 25th), but little or no expectations at this stage, with the lack of running and the extra xmas blubber :(.

General,

The cold from Thursday has developed into a full blown bout man flu, and as such I had to skip the running (in this exceptionally cold weather) for the weekend.

Not getting many breaks in the running comeback at the moment... I have pre-registered for the Raheny 5 (Jan25th), so not looking good for that at the moment. Still there is always the option of marshalling on the day. :(:(:(

Monday 12/01 - Gym for light workout.

Tuesday 13/01

Decided to ditch the self pity and get out for a lunch time run. Bought a hat and gloves in Dunne's first, not runners gear, just old lad type stuff. Still did the job.

5.5 (approx.) miles around the PP in 45 mins. Didn't have the Garmin, just the regular casio. Lovely to get out in the elements again. Strong and chill wind for first half, nice tail wind going back down chesterfield...

Thursday 15/01 - PP - Steady(ish)...

How is it possible when running a loop (sort of loop) that the wind is your face the whole time ???

Decided that there was no way I was going to run in this weather when it gets dark, so headed out for a lunch time run in the PP. Started at the usual spot close to the wellington Monument, (wind in the face), S bends, (wind in the face), St Marys hill (wind in the face), Ordnance survey road (slight wind in the face), Chesterfield (wind in the F****ing face)...

5.9 miles in 45mins for 7:41 avg... Grand considering...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/674081477

Still looking out the window of the office now it lashing as well... Small mercies !!!

Saturday 17/01

Went up to ALSAA for what I hoped would be 6*400. But when I arrive the track was completely iced over. Opted for the fields instead. 2.2 miles in strangely wet and boggy fields. Luckily I had the trail shoes in the boot.

Sunday 18/01

Back down to the club and first run with the gang for ages. Headed out for a good yap and catch-up. Unfortunately they were all doing 15-17m, so there was no way I was doing that on the first run back. Split off from them at Fairview for an enjoyable 6.5 miles in frost and sunshine.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/677390177

Only 6 days left to the Raheny 5, not much I can do at this stage...

• Advertisement

Pic from after the Sunday run.

FBLYOwU.jpg

Tuesday 20/01 - Raheny 5 loop.

With the Raheny 5 coming up on Sunday @3, I decided a little reckie would be in order. Not that I haven't run the course much, its a loop that I've probably run more that anything else over the last 5-6 years. Just haven't done much of anything lately.

Most of the lads were doing the long "tempo" Tuesday marathon slog, so decided to give that a wide birth. Started with 1.2 mile warm-up on the wade avenue loop. 1-2 minutes rest and set off on the start line of the Raheny 5 (a permanent "SL" marked on the park wall, if you know where to look).

Just wanted to run a even effort and steady paced run for all of it. Found it hard holding 7:40 pace, with a few of the miles slower also. Finished the 5 mile loop in 38:30 giving it plenty of effort. Before Xmas I harboured hopes of a sub 34 at this race. Now a sub 36 seems miles away ?? WTF ?

(Forgot the Garmin) but 5 miles in 38:30 for 7:42 avg.

With 1.2 miles warm-up.

Wednesday 21/01 - Easy.

Just easy miles around Gannon park, waiting for the son in football practise.
    2 miles in 16:30ish...

Raheny 5 - 2015 - Race to forget...

Usually my favourite race of the year, the local club race, and with the course being my 5 mile tempo loop of choice. Even the weather played ball this year, with temps around the 10-11c mark and little or no wind, pretty much perfect running conditions.

Parked up early with MrsDrak, and we trundled off to get my race number. I had registered early and was rewarded with the personalised number with my name on it.... Great ...

We chatted to some of the lads doing the stewarding / number allocations etc, and then walked back to the car taking in the kids races.

Quick warm up and settled into the first pen around 30 rows back from the front. Off at bang on 3:00pm, and the usual bunching from the start made for difficult initial progress, until we turned left on to Watermill. Was being passed by runners every few strides, but felt I was maintaining a decent tempo. First mile in 6:36. (that's ok I though, I can build on it).

The Howth road normally has a icy wind blowing directly up from town, but strangely nothing today. Still being passed by plenty of runners, probably started to far forward... Turn on to Sybil Hill Rd, and a gentile decline, eased the effort levels, mile 2 in 6:54. I should be feeling easy running at that pace.

Got a hello (more like a WTF you doing back here Dave) from JF at the mile 3 marker, tried to push on but nothing there, mile 3 in 7:05. On to the Coast road, winds again neutral here. The turn up watermill and mile 4 marker in 7:06, plenty of other runners now suffering also. Last bit of the home stretch and pushed as much as I could, under the line in 34:43 for 490 odd place, and 6:57 avg..

Fcuking Piss poor performance, and at a home race too...

Really got to get back working hard again. Way to much time in the gym and complemented with poor food choice, and little or no run volume, and its been like that for the last 4-5 months.

A race to remember, to give me a good kick that I need...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/683071355

Tuesday 27/01 - PP - Steady.

Trying to banish thoughts of the Raheny 5, so decided on a steady bash around the PP by way of atonement. Reading several of the logs this morning about base building, and being conscious about the pace that they are run at...

Anyway, an easy 7:55 mile to warm-up, then caught up to a lad from MSB running the same direction. Had a chat for 10 minutes, but was beginning to fail at that faster pace, so I let him off. Dug in for a few handy < 7:20, and a flourish @ 6:47 to finish off a nice lunch time with a steady run.

6.44 miles in 47:21 @ 7:21avg

Then into the gym for a light workout...

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/683890183

Anyone I know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement