Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Anyone I know?

A guy called Sean, possibly from Limerick, new to MSB ?

Wednesday 28/01 - Malahide - Easy

Waiting for the Son to finish football training in Gannon Park, decided on a few easy miles by way of a leg stretcher. With the snow / sleet (and strong wind) coming down in buckets, and the fatigue from the steady effort yesterday, I decided to cut this one short as possibly.

Just 3.6 miles in 30min odd @ 8:20avg.

Back to the car to find the son layed up at the side of the all weather, gone over on the right foot as the result of a bad tackle. Had to jockey back him off the pitch and into the car. Running is supposed to be a stress reliever !

Running round in Circles - Saturday - 31/01/2015

Back to sessions for the first time in 18 months. Was really dreading this, as I had zero fast miles in the legs. Turned up well before time and did 1.5 mile warm-up (if you could call it that in zero c temps). Was in the slower of the 2 groups, and was allocated 8*250 (handy enough). Stayed mid pack for most of the reps, until I heard "Dave lead out"... Smashed myself for that one and the one after, to show it was not a flash in the pan...

Overall felt good and relatively easy for the session. Surprised that I help form and kept in touch as well as I did. Happy out !!!

Sunday - LSR - 01/02

Down to the club for the usual Sunday trot, around exotic Dublin 1,3,5. Most of the group are doing Rotterdam, so going long, I decided on 7-8 miles, that I mostly ran on my own, in frosty by glorious sunny conditions.

Hate running in tights, and dropped them off at a car park on the coast road. Almost left the car key behind with them, which would have make for an interesting situation when I got back to the club...

8miles in 1:00h for 7:34 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/688290845

Monday 02/02

Running rest day, went to the gym instead for light and core workout.

Tuesday 03/02 - PP - Steady.

What a fab day to go running, especially in the PP in the frost for an early lunch time jog. Got the gear selection correct too, my cheepo Pennies leggings are actually way better that my expensive Nike ones ! Have a big client demo later so cut the run down accordingly. Still fantastic feeling to get out for 4 miles in 30mins for 7:34 avg...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/689046424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Isn't "Pennies" the Irish for 'Thank You'??

I think im going to "thank" Mr Pennies for a few more pairs this evening !

To good to pass up at €11 :)

Raheny Winter League 3 Mile race - 04/02/2015

I'm normally precluded from racing on Wednesday, as the son has football training, but got a rare night off and decided to make the most of it.

Warmed up last at 7:45, with 1 mile easy. The course is the Lord Mayors 1 mile lap, run 3 times.

Lined up towards the back of about 30 people, and duly set off at 8pm. Settled in behind a lad of similar ability, for the first half lap, and pushed on past him before the end of the first mile. Mile 1 in 6:30ish.

He came back at me after about 300yrds after first mile, and I couldn't hold on to him. By mile 2 he was opening up a significant gap. From this point on I was in no mans land, couldn't catch him, and in turn the runner behind would probably not catch me...

Last mile blowing as hard as I could finished in 20:02 for 3 miles and 6:41avg. unfortunately no Garmin splits and I messed up setting the watch at the start. Happy enough to have got out of the house and did a club race.

Thursday 05/02 - PP - Easy.

With the upcoming BHAA XC on Saturday, I just wanted to run easy. 5.9 miles in a cold and windy Phoenix Park. Sill Miles are Miles.

5.9 miles in 48mins for 7:51.

MisterDrak wrote: »

With the upcoming BHAA XC on Saturday, I just wanted to run easy. 5.9 miles in a cold and windy Phoenix Park.

Thats some recovery - BHAA XC in PP is 14th Feb :)

Well spotted, but im looking at the North County Farmers in Balheary, this Saturday @11:30. Just a mile from the house, so too close to pass up...

With the river in the second half of the park, its always good for a "mud-fest".

BHAA - North County Farmers 5 mile XC - Saturday 07/02

Just a bit of fun on a Saturday morning, was how I viewed this. Only a mile from the house so easy to get there and home quickly after. Efficient registration, and over to the fields with Mrs Drak in minutes. Got in 1 mile slow warm-up before the off. The course was 2 3/4 loops of Balheary Park, with a "forest Section", Hay bale jumps, a river section, a second longer forest / river section , with the remainder park land / pitches. Chilly with temps at around 2-3c.

Started near the back with all of the other old lads. Off with the under foot soft but still plenty of grip if required. The "forest" section at first 1/2 mile was very narrow and caused plenty of bunching and a full stop for a few seconds. Found myself near the back for most of the first mile (7:26), just picked up the pack slightly and moved past slower runners for the remainder of the race. Finished with a 6:50 for the last mile, holding off a strong Fingal runner.

Great fun, in the mud and nice to run steady in this setting, that doubles as my recovery Monday run location in the summer.

Finished in 5 miles in 35:12 for 7:13 avg.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/693450124

Sunday MLR - Raheny

With the National Masters XC on in Tuam, most of my the Sunday group lads were away. Glad as the body was tired after the race the previous day. Hooked up with another lad coming back from injury and got in a slow and cold 8 miles in 1:04 for 8avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/693450145

• Advertisement

Some races for 2015.

Logic being, if I write them down I might actually do them:-

07/03 (Saturday) BHAA ALSAA Dublin Airport XC
    15/03 (Sunday) MSB 5k city centre
    24/04 (Tuesday) Peter Doody 3000m ALSAA
    28/03 (Saturday) BHAA Dublin city council 4 mile Raheny
    06/04 (Saturday) Battle of Clontarf 10 mile
    26/05 (Tuesday) BHAA Dunboyne
    ??? (Sunday) Strawberry Half Marathon (Enniscorthy)
    10/06 (Wednesday)BHAA (Trinity Track)
    04/07 (Saturday) Clontarf Half
    19/07 (Sunday) Fingal 10K
    02/08 (Sunday) Rock and Roll
    22/08 (Saturday) Frank Duffy
    19/09 (Saturday) Dublin Half

Plus a few park runs and the Raheny Summer series..

Monday 09/02

Gym for medium Upper, Core and Stretches. Also beginning to get the food balance correct.

Tuesday (lunch time), PP - Easy(ish)

Oft to the PP at lunch for the now usual 6.5 miles. With the temps this low the tights, hat and gloves were a must. A few dodgy blokes at the point where I usually drop my jacket and track bottoms, meant that I have to double back a few minutes later, to avoid my taxi kit being nicked.

Still nice to avoid the after work evening dark runs with this little caper...

6.6 miles in 51mins for 7:44 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/694285463

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

FYP
    Some races for 2015.

Logic being, if I write them down I might actually do them:-

07/03 (Saturday) BHAA ALSAA Dublin Airport XC
    15/03 (Sunday) MSB 5k city centre
    24/04 (Tuesday) Peter Doody 3000m ALSAA
    28/03 (Saturday) BHAA Dublin city council 4 mile Raheny
    06/04 (Saturday) Battle of Clontarf 10 mile
    26/05 (Tuesday) BHAA Dunboyne
    ??? (Sunday) Strawberry Half Marathon (Enniscorthy)
    10/06 (Wednesday)BHAA (Trinity Track)
    04/07 (Saturday) Clontarf Half
    19/07 (Sunday) Fingal 10K
    02/08 (Sunday) Rock and Roll
    22/08 (Saturday) Frank Duffy
    19/09 (Saturday) Dublin Half
    26/10 (Monday) Dublin Marathon

Plus a few park runs and the Raheny Summer series..

B,

No F***ing way im doing a marathon this year, but nice try anyway :D:D:D...

Wednesday 11/02/2015 - Malahide - Hills.

Gannon park for a few miles as the Son had football training. Normally this is a easy run, however given Iv been putting in steady miles over the last few weeks, I decided to push on.

Reading Julian Goater's Art of running faster'. He has a line in there saying that "Hills are speed work in disguise"... Which is kind of interesting.

1.2 mile warm-up,

Hill1 - 400M - Elevation gain 60ft - 1:26
    Hill2 - 400M - Elevation gain 60ft - 1:36
    Hill3 - 400M - Elevation gain 60ft - 1:24

Jog back between each set, and a mile warm down at the end... Taking a gym day today instead of the Lunch time PP, which has become a bit routine...

Saturday 14/02/2015 - Sessions.

Down to St Anne's park for the weekly stress test. 2 miles easy warm-up, with one of the Rotterdam marathon group, followed by 10 minutes of dynamic's, to get the heart rate up. The session was 6*700, but given im still "returning", I only had 5 to do for my sins. There was 10odd in our group, unfortunately it was run on the still muddy grass, and I had racing flats on, so no grip. Also unfortunately I was by far the slowest of the group for every rep. I consoled by self by saying the others were all in spikes and 20 years younger:eek::eek::eek: .

Rep 1 - 2:22 - (5:43 pace)
    Rep 2 - 2:26
    Rep 3 - 2:27
    Rep 4 - 2:26
    Rep 5 - 2:26

Happy enough with the effort, and some wise words from coach after...

A slow mile back to the car to finish.

Sunday 15/02/2015 - LSR

The Rotterdam lads were scheduled to do 22m, and start at 7:30am, so I decided to dodge that one, and instead set off on my own. Tennis courts, Watermill, Coast road, Sutton Cross, Howth hill, to top of corkscrew hill. Stopped for a drink, then back down to coast road and back to the car.

Fantastic run, in great running weather, Said hello to most of the lads on the way back, as they still have 7-8m to go.

10.4 miles in 1:23 for 7:59 avg.

Pretty tired for most of the remainder of the day, but happy to have go in the miles.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/698764219

Tempo Tuesday - 17/02

Nice to get back down for the tempo Tuesday effort, I've been avoiding these with the dark nights and lure of a warm house and downloaded movies...

Great to see most of the group back together, JFr, JFe, Jim and Dee. 2.2 miles easy on the wade Ave loop, followed by a brief stop. Given that JFr is the strongest of us, he decided on a 6:25 5 mile tempo. The rest of us were the "rabbits" and decided on a more sedate 7:00 for the 5mile on the Raheny 5 loop. Off we went with JF1 off in pursuit 2:30 after.

Strong running by all, for first 3 miles, but after that both myself and Dee suffering with the sustained pace. With 800m to go we were caught by JFr, tried to hold his pace for about 5 seconds, but nothing left in the tank, and had to struggle on for the last bit alone. Anyway finished in 34:23 for 6:51avg for the 5 miles.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/700223573

Happy to have run 20 seconds faster than the Raheny 5, 3 weeks ago. Need to work on strength and pace for next few week, to ensure that I don't fall of the pace.

Finished off with an easy 2.2 mile @ 9ish pace, for a total of 9.5 miles for the day..

Wednesday 18/02 - Gym and stretching.

Stiff and sore after the run, decided on a light gym and stretching to get back to normality.

Just registered for the Bohermeen 10K on 08/03. No point in trying the Half, as there just not enough miles in the legs, to run well.

Anyway I can watch all of you guys flog yourselves, and ill be all finished, rested and warm :D:D:D.

Thursday 19/02 - Lunch time PP - Steady

Freezing, windy and after mile 1 lashing rain, not one of the better lunch time runs in the PP. Had to ring out the running top at mile 3, as I was beginning to chafe (nips are stinging now :mad::mad:) Still head down after, and got in a few faster miles.

6.5 miles in 50:02 for 7:35 avg...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/701039567

• Advertisement

Saturday 21/02 - Sessions

Main coach away for this one, so the alternative had to manage all of the groups at the same time, so not much love was afforded. Was given 6*700, on the grassy loop. Still no spikes so traction was a problem in the DS racers. Started with 1.5 mile warmup, and no dynamics:-

Rep1 - 2:38
    Rep2 - 2:41
    Rep3 - 2:47
    Rep4 - 2:42
    Rep5 - 2:51
    Rep6 - 2:45

Splits all over the place unfortunately. Still got them done and a 1 mile cool down back to the car.

Sunday 22/02 - LSR

Freezing and driving rain, for a 10.3 mile loop. Half with the Rotterdam Marathon lads, who headed off into the city to avoid the wind on the coast road. The remainder with LB, including a very tough section on the coast. 10.3 miles in 1:21 for 7:51 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/704166964

Tempo Tuesday 24/02/2015 - Raheny 5mile loop.

Given it was a weekend of drinking (the older Son was 18), and a Monday evening of bring customers out for drinks also, I had written off the usual Tuesday tempo jaunt. Decided to man the F*** up and got down to a surprisingly large group of fellow runners all set for the session.

2.3 mile warm-up on the wade avenue loop. Followed by a short stop, to get our wave starts correct. I headed off with the majority, with JF chasing us down. Good quality running, with each of us taking a turn at the front to push the pace or maintain it @ around 6:45avg. Found mile 2 hard, with the drag on the Howth road.

Finished the 5 mile in 34:06 for 6:48 avg. 20 second faster than last week, and some strength and speed endurance definitely returning.

Finished off with 2.3 mile cool down and a total of 9.4 mile for the evening.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/705546402

Thursday MLR - 27/02/2015

I've been doing a lunch time run in the Phoenix park for the last few months, which only amount to 6.5 miles at a relatively easy pace. This however was the first serious Thursday run in 2015. About 10 down for the run, and headed out along the coast road to Howth.

The Rotterdam Marathon lads were doing 13m to the top of Howth hill, with the rest of us just going to the top of corkscrew hill via Carribrack Road. I was running strongly on the seafront and until the start of Howth hill, at which point FJ and MK, breezed past as the gradient steepened.

The group broke apart with just 3 of us heading back down corkscrew, to the sea front along strand road, with the remainder continuing to the summit.

The wind back along the sea front from Sutton was very strong and probably robbed us of 15-20 sec per mile. Finished the 9.35 miles in 1:11 for 7:42 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/706886927

Saturday 28/02 - Session 6*600.

Down to St Anne's with ever growing session group. Coach had us do 6*600 with 90sec off, on the grass loop, marked out accurately with the wheel. Similar to the last few weeks, im still the slowest in the group, however I do feel some pace and strength returning. 90's recoveries were all to short.

600's were :-

2:18, 2:18, 2:17, 2:18, 2:16, 2:16

Each of the reps were 8-10 seconds better than 2 weeks ago.

Started with a 1 mile warm-up and dynamics, and a mile cool down.
    Happy with the progress.

Sunday LSR.

Still freezing weather and also a strong head wind to contend with, made the run initially difficult down the shaded Howth road. This was tempered with a great chat with two other lads, about everything from XC, to LSR pacing, to what everyone else is doing wrong in terms of training :D:D:D

Really enjoyed the 8.9miles in 1:07 for 7:35avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/709489680

Tempo Tuesday - All Change - 03/03/2015

Earlier in the day I got a text from JF saying he wanted to do reps instead of the usual Tempo. Given that a change is as good as a rest I was eager to see what was in store. A total of 8 of us down for this, started with 3.4 miles easy around the wade avenue loop.
    JF explained that the reps would be 6*800 with a 100m jog recovery and no rest between each. Reps were :-

1 - 3:18
    2 - 3:14
    3 - 3:17
    4 - 3:19
    5 - 3:18
    6 - 3:15

Bit slower that I was expecting, but It was dark and windy, and running on roads does not instil utmost confidence, plus the turns were tight.

Also zero static recovery time means that the reps are starting on an already fatigued cardio system.

Anyway, happy to get it done, and have hung in for the last 2 reps. Dee running very well, and I have to dig in not to get chicked in most of the reps.

Finished with 1.2 mile cool down, for 8 odd miles for the night...

Wednesday 04/03 - Gym

Arms and the rest was fleeing a bit flabby so hit the gym for a medium all over workout plus core work.

great workout that. 100m jog recovery comes around very quickly!!

• Advertisement

Just registered for the half @ Bohermeen on Sunday :D:D:D

I've already registered for the 10K and have the race number at home. But at the time I didn't think I had enough miles in the legs for the Half. But training seems to be going well enough at the moment, even though the longest run this year in only 10.3 miles.

I can probably get around the half handy enough...

Thursday PP - Easy

Out with a customer tonight, so no long evening miles with the lads. Had to content myself with 6.6 miles around the PP @ steady / Easy pace. 7:44 ?

First day without that biting cold, but the head wind seems to have remained.

the next 2 days are for resting up before the Half on Sunday... :D:D

Bohermeen Half - or - MrDrak V MrSpitty !

Given that I only registered for the Half on Wednesday last, I missed all of the betting shenanigans. As a result I had no money riding on me (just as well), and so considered the race as a race paced run rather than anything else. Parked up early and met up with JF and JK, did a 1.5 mile warm up, on the roads and the Bohermeen 400M track, with the surprisingly good surface.

Lined up at the start line about 30 rows back from the front with the other shivering runners. Off we went shortly after 12:00, the initial tail wind made for slightly easier progress until the twists and turns had us back with a head wind shortly after. Mile 1,2 (7:19, 7:16). Some of the road surfaces from mile 1.5-2.5 were uneven and rutted. But mostly the roads were quiet, and closed meaning the full width could be used. I was working from group to group, pushing on when ever a gap opened ahead. Mile 3,4 (7:03, 7:06).

The short section on the N51 had a fair amount of traffic, which meant that dodging both runners and cars made for stuttered progress. The left turn on the minor Ardbraccan road had the long drag for over a mile. Before the rise to the M3, I latched onto a small group of club runners before moving on past on the downward slope. I was joined from the group by a younger runner and we pressed on toward the next left turn and the steep 100M slope up to the second crossing of the M3. (Mile 5 7:11).

The breakaway runner was now spitting every 10-15 steps, constantly like an metronome, and he was sitting on my shoulder. The drop back from the M3 overpass provided no comfort as the wind in this section was savage. Given the "MrSpitty" was still sitting on my shoulder I decided to let him do some work into the wind, so I looked behind and motioned for him to take over for a few hundred meters.... Nothing, I repeated... Nothing..

I Was getting a bit annoyed, with the spitting, and him tracking me so closely. I mover to the middle of the road, so did MrSpitty. I moved to the other side, ditto, I slowed slightly and again motioned for him to do some of the work... Nothing.. Mile 6 (7:14).

I was beginning to fixate on this guy more that the race, so I slowed right down to a walk, at last he went past. I decided to latch onto him, but he seemed to me moving much faster now, and quickly opened up a decent 50m lead by the clubhouse and a bigger gap by the sharp turn at the grass car park. Mile 7 7:19.

Back onto the rutted, but quiet roads. Again moving from small groups to individual runners. Mr Spitty in the distance seemed to have latched onto a small group of 2 older runners and a girl with colourful shorts. I increased tempo and shortened the distance between us. Caught them at the turn back onto the N51, and moved past. Expecting to hear nothing after a few minutes, I instead was greeted with the "spit, spit, spit" at my right shoulder again. Mile 8,9 (7:09, 7:16). Jesus...

Tried to up the tempo, and again reel in other runners. The drag up to the M3 at mile 11, was slowing lots of other runners. I was beginning to tire at this stage, the lack of anything over 10miles this year primarily responsible. Pushed as much as I could back down from the M3 and up the final drag to the finish. I seemed to have finally got rid of MrSpitty, but held as much pace as I had remaining to ensure nobody else got past me.

Finished on the track under the gantry in 1:35:36 for 7:13 avg, and position 200 overall.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/715195439

Given that I didn't know many of the boards faces, I looked in vain for any of the Boards.ie tops, but unfortunately none evident. I briefly said hello to TRR and congratulated him on his great time.

Had to head off shortly after to pick up MrsDrak from the train back in Dublin mostly missed the opportunity to say hello to fellow boardsies.

2nd Week of March.

I've been layed low with the flu since Bohermeen, and not run a step since last Sunday.

MSB 5K Paddy's Race

Having registered for the MSB 5K months before, and being sick of sitting in the house feeling sorry for my self I decided give the race a go. Briefly said hello to AMK before the off, I headed off to the back of the pack, as I had no expectations for the race.

Lots of bunching at the start, and almost 1 minute had lapsed before I crossed the start line. Moved through the mass of slow runners up Dawson Street and along the Green. Gaps only opening by Fitzwilliam Sq / Baggot St. Pushed as much as I could, moving from group to group. Happy to hold sub 7 min pace, but nothing faster in the legs. Is this a combination of the lack of running this week or the lingering flu ?

Great support all the way around, and sweating buckets, by the Shelbourne. A final kick and finished in 20:49 for 6:36 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/721041596

Briefly said hello to The Wolf, with a very impressive 17:08... Well Done !

Tuesday 17/03 - Steady Run.

With the cold / flu still having a slight hold over me, was glad to just get this done. Freezing and windy into the face on the sea front. Tennis courts, Howth Road, Sea front, and black banks, giving 8.4 cold miles in 1:03 for 7:30 avg.

Tried to push the pace more, but the cold seems to have robbed me of any strength.:mad:

Registered for following :-
    "Dunboyne 4 mile" - Sunday 29th March
    "Battle of Clontarf 10Miler" - Monday 6th April

Should be both good races.

• Advertisement

Thursday 19/03 - Steady with hills.

The lads were heading out for a hilly 13 miles @ steady pace @ 6:15pm, but I got down well before and duly decided to head out on my own, as the 6:15 usually turns out to be 6:30pm...

The plan was to run at steady pace, probably around 7:20ish for the out and back including half of Howth hill. Used the Adidas boost for a change, and found then both light and soft, a fair bit softer that the Kayano 20's id normally use.

There seems to be some additional pace and strength returning to the legs after the recent bout of flu. Some decent miles @ 7:03, @7:14 on the coast road, before the climb up Howth hill, and back down via corkscrew hill. Said hello to the lads, (big group) on the way out to the hill. It was getting dark at that stage and I was glad I was heading back with most of the work down. A few miles @ 7:04 and @7:14 heading back.

9.05 miles in 1:06 for 7:21avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/724268556

Saturday - Tempo.

Given that I was going to be away for the usual Sunday LSR, I decided on skipping the usual Club rep sessions, and going a bit longer, as a long run on the Sunday would not be an option.

Decided on the 8.4 mile loop from St Annes, Howth Road, Coast Road, and back up Howth Road to St Annes again. I judge myself as running well, when I can do this loop in under an hour in training.

Set off with the Adidas boosts as my footwear of choice. Settled into a nice tempo-ish pace for the Howth Rd section, with a few sub 7:00m/m. Coast road had a strong but manageable wind in the face, that cut down on the overall pace. Ran well for the whole loop, and happy to get back to the car in 59:30 for 8.4 miles for 7:04 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/727082974

Sunday - Sligo (Tubbercurry) - Easy

Up with MrsDraks relations in the wilds of Sligo for the Saturday and Sunday. With the narrow (and foggy) country roads, I decided on skipping the country road run (See pic for reason)

http://imgur.com/QCWbQjI

80 KPH WTF????

Anyway opted instead for 3 loops of the town, at steady pace, as there was some residual tiredness in the legs from the previous days Tempo. 3 miles with only .6 of a seconds difference in overall pace :D:D:D

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/727082980

Tempo Tuesday - 24/03/2015

Down to the club with a good mixed group of veterans and first timers for the 5 mile tempo run. Out onto the Wade Ave loop for 2.2 miles easy @ 7:56avg. Then stopped for 2-3 minutes to join up again, re-set watches and agree on the tempo pace.

Usually I get to head off first, and be the rabbit, and still the slowest of the group. This time we agreed that it was a group session and every man for him self... The JF's agreed upon 6:30 pace, and we duly set off. Ran well for first mile, until a black 4*4 tried to hit me. Recovered the pace but the head was all over the place after that, and slowly lost contact with the lads.

Got a massive stich at mile 3, and struggled for the next mile stopping completely 3 times to mile 4. I re-set the watch at the point, as there was not much point in trying to hold a tempo pace, and jogged back to the waiting group.

4 mile tempo in 26:41 for 6:40avg. Then 1.5 mile cool down.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/728607729

Thursday PP - Easy - 26/03/2015

Given that most of my recent runs seem to be @ steady or tempo pace, I decided that this one should be of the easier verity. Great that the stinging cold wind has abated, and been replaced with just a cold wind. Still needed the second layer to be comfortable.

6.6 miles in 51:45 for 7:45avg.

Usually get a taxi back to the office, as running around the tight and packed lunch time Dublin roads can be somewhat trying. Not Taxis available despite trying to flag about 20 down. Just jogged back tot he office for another 8 min mile.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/729497348

Saturday 28/03 - Club Session

Given that I was doing Dunboyne 4Miler the next day, I decided that less is probably more. Headed out for a easy 1.5 mile warmup, with a good set of dynamics. Coach recommended the easy group for me, which meant 5*300 off 65sec recovery.

Even with the windy conditions this set was easy enough, and conducted in the following times:-

1-64
    2-65
    3-62
    4-61
    5-60

Then 1 mile easy to cool down, and watch the BHAA Mens 4 mile around the park.

Sunday 29/03/2015 - LSR

Decided against the race, what with the poor conditions and the fact that the race was at 3pm and I had some work to do later. Just headed out with the Marathon group lads for the normal Sunday LSR.

Very tough conditions with the driving rain and the wind on the seafront. Completely soaked and nips in bits after it :mad::mad::mad:.

10.3 miles in 1:17 for a 7:31avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/732640229

Tuesday Mar31st - Easy

Down before the lads so just opted for an Easy jaunt around Raheny and Clontarf. Strong wind on the seafront which made for difficult progress in places. 5.5 miles in 42:35 for 7:44avg. Grand.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/739642043

Thursday April 02 - Easy.

With the marathon lads now being very much in Taper mode for Rotterdam, the Thursday MLR incorporating Howth hill was consigned to the tip. Instead JF opted for an Easy out and back. A savage cross wind off the sea hampered progress somewhat, but we soldered on manfully (and womanfully)... Only Joe opted for the full howth treatment and 13miles, but he is looking for a low 2:4X in Rotterdam...

6:48 miles in 49:35 for 7:39 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/739642052

Friday - Malahide Park - Easy.

Just 6 easy mile on the trails around Malahide castle with the lads, and lassies. Then a scone and coffee in Avoca with the gang. Turns out Christy is looking for a sub 70min for the Brian Boru on Monday, interesting...

Saturday April 04 - Track Sessions - Santry - 4*200, 4*300, 4*200

Speed sessions now are into the summer rotation and have moved from the mud of St Annes park to the glory of Santry Stadium. Showed up for a brief 1 mile warmup and into coach Tom's "Youth" group. I must have 20 years on the next oldest in the group :eek:.

Coach has a natty little 4*200, 4*300, 4*200 session for us to work off, with 65 second static recovery. With the "Battle of Clontarf" 10 Miler in two days I was decided to take these easy for the most part, and plod around in mid pack.

200 - 38sec
    200 - 37sec
    200 - 38sec
    200 - 37sec

300 - 57sec
    300 - 59sec
    300 - 59sec
    300 - 57sec

200 - 37sec
    200 - 33sec:)
    200 - 35sec
    200 - 33sec:)

First set, lovely to run on a good compound track again. Held my place in mid pack for most of the short 200m reps, with the young lads effortless moving way to the front. The static 65 seconds recovery way to short.

Second set of 300's slight reduction in pace all the welcome, but the extra 100m not so much.

On the 3rd last 200, coach "suggest" I lead out, decided to go for it and took off like a mad man. Happy with a 33sec 200, and 4:12avg. A dose of lactate for the final few meters. Same story for the last rep, with more lactate for my enjoyment..

Overall great session, possibly one of the best I've done. The change of venue, combined with the first fine weather of the year, and a decent strong performance, made for a great set. Finished off with 2 miles easy around the park.

Saturday Evening - DM's 50th Party (Running related party)

Damo is one of the Raheny masters stalwards, and as such most of the senior team turned up for a few (Cokes). Spoke to Mick Traynor about running and life in general for a while, hard to reconcile the fact that he is one of the best masters athletes in the country, as he downs his 5th pint of Guinness ! Also wished MC all the best for Rotterdam and hopefully a sub 2:18...

Monday - Brian Boru 10mile

Legs still in bits from the first serious track session of the year, just 2 days before in Santry. I really should know better at this stage... Calf stiff and Achilles sore and stiff also.

Still greeted by fantastic blue skies and no wind. Got down somewhat late (9am ish) and missed the last parking spot in red stables, so had to ditch the car across the road, but no real problem as the numbers seemed relatively small at around 250+. Efficient number pick up, then back to the car to put on the club colours and affix the number and chip. Just time for 1 mile warm-up and a few hello's to the lads marshalling, before the off at 10am. Some introductory words from Pat Hooper along the lines of "run quickly...", "run fast..."

Settled into a mid pack position for the first 2 laps of the winter session course, very had to hold back as we would usually be doing 400, 500 reps here. Then onto the long (slight drag) up the avenue to the turn at the top. Out and back courses are great as they afford a glimpse of the leaders and further back potential targets if you get your pacing correct and are willing to push yourself. Mile 1,2 (6:48, 6:54)

Christy was looking to run sub 70 for the 10miles, and is of a similar vintage to myself (if a few years older), so afforded some decent competition. With my training so far this year, a good run and I should come in under the 70min with a bit of effort. A brief 10minutes in and the legs were already in pain, both Calf's and Achilles, protesting if I tried to lengthen the stride, or increase the pace. I gently pushed the pace as much as I could and picked off a small group of mixed runners. Caught sight of Christy passing me running well and heading back down the avenue having already turned at the top so he probably a 300m lead over me.

At the turn at the top of the avenue I was greeted with a few words of encouragement from Dick Hooper, and pushed on accordingly. As the Temperatures were climbing, I took some shelter in the shadows of the trees back down the avenue, again targeting runners ahead and moving to pass him / her when pace and time allowed.

After the long run back down the avenue to the start line, we had some twists and turns, humps and hollows to negotiate. Still race marshals were at every turn / intersection, so no chance of a wrong turn. More Hello's / "Come on Dave", at the bottom of the avenue. The next section had a gently dip down to the sea front and the coast road, and a short grass section, with more twists and turns.

Luckily the race numbers were low and I was in a far enough forward position that the narrow paths did not cause issue with bunching. Pushed on as much as I could. Mile 3,4 (7:03, 7:27). Dropped pace badly here due to a combination of lost concentration and continued stiffness from the legs, and net uphill short section.

Back to the mid point of the park and again passing the odd runner, More words of encouragement from coaches PB. On the longer straight sections I would briefly catch a glimpse of Cristy, who still appeared to be running well, but still several hundred meters ahead. We were now onto the Saturday Parkrun course and the improved and newly tarmacked paths and return to the avenue. Miles 5,6 (7:03, 6:50).

Thirst was becoming a factor with the still climbing temps and a effort levels. Finally got a bottle at mile 6, and dumped it mostly over my head. Pushed on again, to the short down hill section. Again caught sight of Cristy through the trees, who was definitely slowing, and possibly only 150m ahead at this point. Pushed on as much as I could and concentrated on form and effort to reel him in. Mile 7, 8 (7:11, 7:25). Dividend paid and caught C at the beep for mile 8. No words exchanged, as both of us were struggling. I moved past and headed for the final run of the avenue. With the turn at the top, I could gauge that I had pulled out a 20m lead over him by mile 8.5.

The right into the rose garden and that unwelcome extra 1/4 of a mile, and I was convinced that I had pushed way to far for him to mount any sort of a come back. Back onto the Avenue and brief shout of "Come on Raheny" followed by that same call 2-3 seconds later alerted me to the danger. C must have really pushed the pace around the gardens. Without looking back I floored it, and moved into my top gear. Vowed not to get caught in the last 500m. Closed down on another Raheny guy just ahead (VC sen), and got him right on the line. Mile 9, 10 (6:59, 6:37).

Short Course (???) 9.88 miles in 1:09:28 for 7:02 avg for place 63.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/739642206

Happy with the race and the day itself, rather that the relatively slow time. I can legitimately blame the very hard session on the Saturday for the stiffness, tiredness and the lack of pace.

Said a brief hello to Krusty (well done on 2nd) and company before they headed off for a cool down in the now 17c temperatures.

After headed off for coffee with MrsDrak and a delve into the extensive goody bag. Recovery in the sun in the garden back home which topped off a great day :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I got the same Garmin distance as yourself, but talking to some of the lads afterwards they all said their garmin pace went haywire in the woods.

Just from your own garmin, have a look at where we first enter the trees each lap. Compare the garmin trace to where the actual paths are: at leat 100 metres knocked off the course each lap as you can see. I assume like me you didn't take a short cut through the forest :pac:

http://i.imgur.com/XWbH0tD.jpg

Meno,

Sorry I missed you yesterday, still that elusive meet up yet to happen.

That probably right about the course length, Pat H is usually spot on when it comes to course measurement, so I didn't mention it to anyone...

Whats next for you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Meno,

Sorry I missed you yesterday, still that elusive meet up yet to happen.

That probably right about the course length, Pat H is usually spot on when it comes to course measurement, so I didn't mention it to anyone...

Whats next for you ?

You weren't the only one with had the short Garmin. Some of the sub 60 guys were saying that the pace was suddenly dropping to 6;30+ in certain covered areas (not even the hills) so clearly there was a loss of satellite cover.

I was standing with my Tallaght team mates for a good while at the finish line and talking to a few raheny runners who were beside us, so perhaps we actually exchanged nods? i was talking to Mick King and pointing out one of your girls that came flying past me at 8.5 miles, turns out a bit of sleuthing shows she ran for Ireland in the Euro XC a few months ago, so she was clearly just jogging the first 8 miles or so and putting in a bit of a surge at the end!!

I am heading to London in 3 weeks so yesterday was a bit of a tuneup race. If recovery goes well this week I might go out and run the Kclub on saturday but we'll see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I see we had a similar sort of race :) So that was you putting 'the fear' on me down the finishing straight :D Well done! (for the race, not the fear!)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I see we had a similar sort of race :) So that was you putting 'the fear' on me down the finishing straight :D Well done! (for the race, not the fear!)

Yep,

That was me, I was trying to catch VC, and just got him on the line...

Well done, and a great time there.

menoscemo wrote: »
    i was talking to Mick King and pointing out one of your girls that came flying past me at 8.5 miles, turns out a bit of sleuthing shows she ran for Ireland in the Euro XC a few months ago, so she was clearly just jogging the first 8 miles or so and putting in a bit of a surge at the end!!

I am heading to London in 3 weeks so yesterday was a bit of a tuneup race. If recovery goes well this week I might go out and run the Kclub on saturday but we'll see....

Yes, I probably "bumped" into yourself without knowing. I seen a few lads talking to Mick, alright. he had a good race too.

Good luck in London, only positive thoughts from now on Meno... :)

Tuesday 07 April - Easy.

Just some easy miles on the grass with the marathon lads. I was still hanging after the 10 miler the day before and the Saturday sessions. Glad for the running on grass, and happy to have an easy day.

5.38 miles in 41:13 for 7:40 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/747855173

Thursday April 09th - Dubrovnik.

A week in Dubrovnik - Croatia for a relax with MrsDrak. Not much in the way of trails or roads with footpaths, that coupled with the hilly train meant that the running with be very curtailed for the week.

First run down to the new port via the main road. Pretty broken footpaths, that would end without warning, so you would need to skip to the other side of the road every few hundred meters. Also cars parked on the footpaths at regular intervals, meant dodging onto the roads... Still the temperatures were perfect at around 18c.

Still 4.1 miles in 33min for 8:07 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/747855194

Friday April 10 - Dubrovnik

Found a short trail / footpath with out traffic around the iconic and beautiful scenery.

4.4 miles in 35mins for 7:57avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/747855205

Saturday April 11th - Dubrovnik.

Same as yesterday, bar a Russian in a Range Rover trying to kill me at mile 2, as I ran on an un-foot path part of a wide and empty road at 8:30am in the morning.

Sod the running out here, I want to be able to live for a few more years !!!:mad:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/747855214

3.8 miles in 29mins for 7:47 avg.

Pics of where I ran... Dubrovnik.. As I mentioned above, its not a great place if you want to do a few miles.

Going to probably head back to Cascias, Lisbon next year for spring break, glorious 10 mile flat costal bike and run path directly outside the hotel. Anyway Dubrovnik below...

http://i.imgur.com/rGFGox6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lB4cDPK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o2CxzYo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LxBfh9N.jpg

Last one is MrsDrak outside "Kings Landing"...

Thursday 16/04/2015 - Easy

Just easy mile around Malahide park, took a minute to watch the lads build the cricket stands for the upcoming Ireland V England match in May.

4.6 miles in 35 mins

Saturday 18/04 - Session

Had to bring the older son to town for "graduation clothes", which has now become a "thing". As a result the usual club session at 11am had to be put on hold. Instead I opted for 5*400 on my own in ALSAA, with 2.2 mile warmup on the fields behind.

Not feeling the love for this set, as it was freezing and a strong East wind blowing.

1 - 89sec
    2 - 88sec
    3 - 88sec
    4 - 85sec
    5 - 81sec

Short 1 mile to cool down and off to do my chores...

Sunday 19/04 - LSR

With the normal marathon group still in recovery mode from the Rotterdam marathon. I found I was on my own for this. Still not feeling the love for this so just 7.2 mile easy around Ratheny / clontarf and St Annes.

Grand...

Got down to watch the National Road Relays at 2:00pm. Great stuff, and some truly super performances...

Tuesday 21/04 - Tempo PP.

A small chance that some of my customers will be over from London later and may well drop in for some "Irish hospitality", which will eliminate my usual tempo Tuesday evening effort around the Raheny 5 mile loop with the lads.

Decided instead for the beautiful environs of the PP at lunch, for 7 mile at a decent clip. Seems to be first day where the sweat was again dripping off and the muscles and joints seemed to all be working in unison and not complaining of the cold and or wind. Very enjoyable run :):):)

7 miles in 50:19mins for 7:11avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/752784628

Thursday 23/04 - Easy

Just 6 easy miles around Malahide park in 44 mins, mostly on the grass. Nothing else to report.

Sunday 26/04 - Sunday LSR.

Missed Saturday session, due to bringing younger son to Avengers. Sunday - Some of the club lads still recovering after Rotterdam, and the rest doing Samsung night run, so it was a quiet run in the sun for me. From clubhouse to Sutton, Howth and back. 9.3 miles in 1:11 for 7:39 avg.

After watched the London Marathon, great stuff.

Monday 27/04 - Gym and core

Tuesday - Easy - Grass

Down with a big group for an easy run around St Annes on the grass. JF still in recovery mode, Jen still with the glow of the RR gold and a 40min Sunsung 10K, and Dee in good spirits as per normal.

4.88 miles in 36mins odd for 7:30 avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/760886411

Thursday - PP - Steady

Just some steady lunch time miles in the PP. Weather warm, sunny and no breeze to speak of. Felt very rested in the run, possibly cause im sleeping well at the moment ?

6.6 miles in 48mins for 7:20avg.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/761005968

Monthly

96 miles ran (but 1 week of holiday and virtually no running)
    2 sessions
    1 Race (Brian Boru 10mile)
    Longest run 10miles

Got to get serious in May...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Curiosity question. Do you ever run slow recovery miles or do you use rest days to recover with all your running done at General Aerobic/Easy pace or quicker?

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Curiosity question. Do you ever run slow recovery miles or do you use rest days to recover with all your running done at General Aerobic/Easy pace or quicker?

Its True, most of my miles would be at a steady pace. Im kind of conditioned into running at 7:10- 7:40 for everything (bar sessions / tempos), but I am only running 4 days per week at the moment so I can sustain the pace and recovery in time.

Any time I mentioned a "recovery or easy paced run" to the group, it usually met with a "yes we must look into that". At which point everyone then cracks off at 7:xx min /miles... At this stage I've just given up suggesting anything different, and just go with the flow.

In saying all of the above, in 2013 when I last did a marathon I was running 6 days a week and my non session days (Mon, Wed) were all easy paced, but on my own @ 8:10-8:20... Meno mentioned that same thing to me years ago, and I think I have a similar response...

Advertisement