Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tiny whites mites on every object i own! please help!

Options
  • 02-11-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey there :),

I moved into a house which hadnt been lived in for a year all was great the first few weeks, then when the heating was turned on, i turned on my lap top and they were tiny, white, (half the size of book lice) walking around all over the laptop (approx 150) when i hovered them out more kept coming out the venting holes. looked on my desk, pvc window, which looked new, was covered in aproxx 1000 of them, then found them on lamp, head board, mirror, bedside table, all plastic objects including hair brush, moisturizer toothbrush etc. I unscrewed the head of a hair spray bottle and they had climbed into the hair spray. Noticed a few on shoes and clothes.

I moved out and through every thing out except my phone and purse which i froze for 3 days (dont know how it is stil working) and books i microwaves and then baked in the oven at 200 degrees C. Clothes i boiled at 90.

The kitchen of the house didnt seem invested when i investigated, so i brought the food into my new house and just today i found mites all over a plastic packet. i got speciemens and looked true the microscope and as far as i can make out they are glycyphagus domesticus (domestic mites).

Has anyone come across this before?
    Does any one any thing about the eggs?
    Should i throw out my books and clothes as wel

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

lisa085 wrote: »
    Hey there :),

I moved into a house which hadnt been lived in for a year all was great the first few weeks, then when the heating was turned on, i turned on my lap top and they were tiny, white, (half the size of book lice) walking around all over the laptop (approx 150) when i hovered them out more kept coming out the venting holes. looked on my desk, pvc window, which looked new, was covered in aproxx 1000 of them, then found them on lamp, head board, mirror, bedside table, all plastic objects including hair brush, moisturizer toothbrush etc. I unscrewed the head of a hair spray bottle and they had climbed into the hair spray. Noticed a few on shoes and clothes.

I moved out and through every thing out except my phone and purse which i froze for 3 days (dont know how it is stil working) and books i microwaves and then baked in the oven at 200 degrees C. Clothes i boiled at 90.

The kitchen of the house didnt seem invested when i investigated, so i brought the food into my new house and just today i found mites all over a plastic packet. i got speciemens and looked true the microscope and as far as i can make out they are glycyphagus domesticus (domestic mites).

Has anyone come across this before?
    Does any one any thing about the eggs?
    Should i throw out my books and clothes as wel

Thank you :)
    then baked in the oven at 200 degrees C

How did you serve them:)

I don't know anything about them but if the house is rented I would be stopping the rent until its sorted as house is unfit for use.

Try contacting the local environmental health officer
    see here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Environmental_Health/Environmental_Health_Officers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lisa085

How did you serve them

crispy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Have seen these little ones in many houses. A few years back I looked into what they were out of interest but my memory fails me on all the info I got.

I do remember something about them liking a warm dry house and also something linking them with plaster board.

I have also heard of them living off mold, you would need to investigate this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

lisa085 wrote: »
    The kitchen of the house didnt seem invested when i investigated, so i brought the food into my new house and just today i found mites all over a plastic packet. i got speciemens and looked true the microscope and as far as i can make out they are glycyphagus domesticus (domestic mites).....
    Flour mites, perhaps?
    Were there any bags of dry cat or dog food or any kind of grains or meal stored in the house before you moved in because that might be the source of the problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Plaster mites they are usually in new houses , they come in when the building work is going on & live there happily ever after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think they are also known as silver fish. they are a species of earwig.

most houses will have them i woul dimagine but not to the extent as you do. i think there was a thread not so long ago on them . if you run a search on them i think it will turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Well, Silverfish are a lot bigger than the OP's mites, and you won't find Silverfish all over everything, they really hate the light and run for cover.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Rancid wrote: »
    Well, Silverfish are a lot bigger than the OP's mites, and you won't find Silverfish all over everything, they really hate the light and run for cover.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

Silverfish usually hang around walls or behind wall paper or floor coverings. There quite shy like me. :D and I've never seen an army of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Immature booklice are small and white so it could still be them.
    http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/booklice
    http://www.venuspest.com/PestID/PestIDbyName

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lisa085

Thanks everyone for messages. GLYCYPHAGUS DOMESTICUS is the name, common in houses in America! Just got all my deposit back and 200 euro for loses even tho the landlord still cant see the mites! but he must be doing if he gave me money for losses! I just hope he gets someone in before the next tenant moves in, wouldnt wish it on anyone. It is visible to the eye also most like salt size maybe a tiny bit smaller and the baby eggs look like flour and the move ever so slowly usually around in a big circle! they live off mould and fungi and flour, thats why ive learnt people sieve flour, but the sieve would need to be quite small!! It can cause itchy rash- which i didnt get, researching further into it, eating the mites in food stuffs can cause stomach upset, trigger asthma and Grocer's itch syndrome. One of the other tenants in the house has had hives since she moved in but the landlord said he got some of the other tenants to look of the mites and they couldnt see anything, but all my brothers and sisters saw them so it must be a good eyesight gene we have!!
    Just paranoied that they'll come back to my new house.
    Enjoy your day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rancid wrote: »
    Flour mites, perhaps?
    Were there any bags of dry cat or dog food or any kind of grains or meal stored in the house before you moved in because that might be the source of the problem?

Flour mites are a tan colour, and they don't tend to stray off the immediate area of the flour.

Advertisement