Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle problem?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Well lads,
    Im having a problem with my marlin 925m .22wmr that i bought a month or so ago,
    i got the scope mounted and bore sighted by the dealer,
    When i got home i zeroed it and all was fine up until about week and a half ago, i went to do a bit of target shooting and the first shot was a good 5 inches off the dot, so i clamped the rifle steady to see was it me or the rifle that was off, i fired a second round and it was no better than the 1st,
    so i began to zero it at 100 yds, took me 3 shots and it was spot on, that weekend i had another go at target shooting, ( did no shooting since the day it was zeroed) Fired off a round, and what do ya know, off zero again, so this time i zeroed it, and went lamping that night,(the rifle was bang on that night and shot a rabbit clean in the head at 120 yds) the next day i said i'd see if it was still on, fired a round and it was off again, So i zeroed it(AGAIN:mad:) And went for a walk around, shot a magpie and went home, Shot at the target again and... It was off zero! The mounts are perfectly tight, Does Anyone know the cause of the problem? It has me quite worried:(
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

new rifle ?
    new scope ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HukleberryFinn

Both brand new

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Other than it not liking the bullets my first thought is the scope. What brand/make is it?

i had a lad with a similar problem a few weeks ago. Best group of 5 shots was 7 inches at 100yds. Turns out the reticle was bouncing with every 2 or 3 shots. Sometimes even after each shot.

Two solutions i can think of. Get hold of another scope and mount it. Zero it and fire 3 five shot groups to see if it improves.
    Other solution is to have the rifle clamped and i mean clamped, no movement at all. Fire 5 shots while making sure the rifle is not moving off target after each one. It will not work if you have to re-aim yourself. See if the POI is different with each shot.

If neither of these work then undo the scope and remount checking for dirt, particles that are interferring with a good clean attachment of the scope. If the problem still persists try a different brand or two of ammo.

The very first thing i would do is clean the guts out of the rifle including taking the bolt apart and cleaning.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

One other problem i found which i forgot to add is,, When i was setting the rifle i had it clamped, aimed dead on the dot, fired two shots and then without moving the rifle i clicked the turrets moving the reticule towards the bullet hole, this worked, but on the second day i was zeroing it i was clicking to the hole, fired another shot and it was still a bit off, so i clicked the turrets in the same direction as the first time but the reticule started moving in the opposite direction to the 1st time, anyone experienced this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sounds to me like a bad scope or problem with mounts. try different mounts and or scope as Ezridax said.

When checking zero always work in groups of 5, firing 1 shot will never tell the whole story.

• Advertisement

Not being a smart a**e here, but that really could not, or should not, happen.

Is it possible you moved it the wrong way? If the reticle is moving opposite to the way it previously did, then you have a scope problem. Best thing to do is bring it out and try it again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Problem Solved:D
    Brought it to the dealer yesterday, somthing to do with the mounts, the scope was moving due to the recoil or something along that line :p Very pleased to have it fixed :D

Glad to hear it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shedd7

Time for a sticky on basic checks to make before zeroing a rifle/pistol perhaps? And no,I'm not going to volunteer to do it:P

Basics would be, but not limited to:
    • Picatinny rail is securely fastened to receiver on rifle.
    • All screws on the rings are tightened and at an even level. In other words do not tighten all the screws on one side then the other. Tighten each side a ltttle at a time.
    • Make sure there is no particles or debris on the surfaces that make contact with each other. ie - Picatinny rail to receiver, rings to mounts, in between top and bottom of ring, etc.
    • That the rings or mounts are not "twisted". Ensure a straight mounting of each. This can be easily checked by centralising your windage and you should not be too far of the true centre of your POI. If you have little to no windage left on either side then the scope is twisted and a problem exists with mounts or rings.
    • If you find you are "chasing" your POI then STOP and recheck all the above. If you have checked and tightened all screws, etc and the problem persists then STOP shooting as a problem may exist with your scope.
    Remember lads no matter the price of the scope, whether its €250 or €3,000 they are all prone to problems and faults. Do not keep firing and hoping it will "come right". Add all the above to the following and you should have a basic list/guide to mounting and checking a scope. The following advice/post is on the "Tips Thread".
    If installing the scope the quick way would be to place the rifle in a gun clamp or very steady front rest and back bag. Place a spirit level on a flat section of the rifle. If none can be got or trusted take the rings apart and screw on the bottom section of the rings leaving the top piece of. Tighten these down. Now place a level across these rings and straighten the rifle. Once your happy, place the scope into the rings and place the top section of the rings on the bootom section over the scope and screw in the screws but DO NOT tighten.

Have a heavy string/line hanging from the ceiling of your hall (at the end of the hall). Weigh it down if necessary. This will give you a dead straight vertical line. Have the rifle pointing towards the string and adjust the position of the scope forward and back in the rings until your eye relief is good (that there is no black when you look into the scope) Twist/turn the scope until the vertical line of the crosshair tallies with the string/line hanging in your hall. Once happy tighten the screws on the rings but do so in an alternating fashion as if you tighten one side fully it will twist the scope in the rings. Problem i find with some lads is even though the crosshairs are perfectly straight everyone holds the rifle at a slight cant and so when they put it to their eye they think the crosshair is leaning. Its not. Resist the temptation to adjust it as canting the crosshair to suit your hold will mean any clicking to zero the scope will result in angled adjustments rather than perfectly up/down or left/right adjustments.

Go to a range or find a fixed spot at home. Somewhere around the 50yd mark is grand. Have the elevation of your scope trned down to zero. Have the windage adjustments centralised. As in if there is 50 minutes (moa) of adjustment have it set for 25moa. Have the bolt removed and with the rifle unclamped adjust the rifle until you can see the target down the barrel. The muzzle of the gun will appear as a circle and must sit perfectly "central" in the circle created by the breach. Once this is done make sure the target is central in the circles created by the muzzle and breach. Have the rifle reclamped making sure the target is still central in the bore/barrel. Now without moving the rifle look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are in relation to the target. Adjust the crosshairs up to and left/right until they meet the target. Now once more check the bore/barrel sight and scope sight. If you are happy both are pointing at the same target time to replace the bolt and fire a shot (this is why i recommen doing this at a range). Find where the shot impacted. Measure the distance from your point of impact to the target bull and adjust your scope as necessary. gain fire another shot. You should be either in or very close to the bull. Make one more adjustment if you are not in the bull and fire one more round. You should be zeroed at this point

• Advertisement
Advertisement