Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRT's stand up ears - infection?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

My JRT has standing up ears (don't know what the correct term for it is!) Now they're often cold and he often seems to scratch and shake them. I've put in ear drops that are for cleaing out his ear but sometimes he still scratches and shakes his head as if they're sore :( He's done for fleas regularly so I doubt there's anything in his ear but is there anything I can do? Or should I bring him to the Vet? His previous owner said dogs with standing up ears are prone to ear infections so is there anything I can get for him? His ears look clean inside and don't smell or anything but now and again they seem to bother him. They're always cold too when the rest of his body isn't. Is there any ear drops out there that could help? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Would think you would be best bringing him to vet for check up. id say most likely cause is ear mites, simple enough to clear usually the drop on that you use for fles does this as well. the reason i would check with vet is you said the previous owner said dogs with stand up ears suffer from infection, i have a dog with ears like this and he has never had any probs with his ears. So im thinking, could be wrong, that he might suffer from something apart from mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

+1 bring him to the vet

i thought we had an ear infection or mites too and then the vet discovered it was dermatitis in the ear. It was so far in I could not even see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Generally it's the opposite, dogs with long, droppy, hairy ears would get infections more often because there isin't as much air circulating around the ear. Is there a build up of wax in the ear, could be ear mites? Best option is to bring her to a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My JRT does the same thing, sometimes she seems to be really uncomfortable shaking her head, sitting down suddenly to scratch her ear etc.
    I have had it checked out by the vet who said her ears were spotless, that it was possible she had a stray hair that was just tickling inside her ears :rolleyes:
    I'm waiting for the next bout to check if that is what's causing it. Thankfully she can go ages between bouts :)

Advertisement