Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frequency of screen

• 02-11-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

i have only one option on my screen frequency: 60 Hertz. Apparentely this is not very good, i would like a better frequency, but don't know how to get one apart from buying a new laptop. I have windows vista. can i install some programme to give me more options? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The frequency options are controlled/limited by the graphics adapter in your laptop. I doubt if a program can help you, but check for updated drivers. Your Tv works at 50 or 60 HZ (in U.S.) - does your TV suit you on a fast moving image content programme ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The frequency options are controlled/limited by the graphics adapter in your laptop. I doubt if a program can help you, but check for updated drivers. Your Tv works at 50 or 60 HZ (in U.S.) - does your TV suit you on a fast moving image content programme ?

Thank you for the reply. TV ? I don't have a television.

I checked for updated drivers today and there were none. So I should buy a new laptop I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

refresh rate is strictly limited by screens maximum refresh rate not by graphic card .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

60hz is the max of most monitors, buying a new laptop would be pointless.

60hz is the max of most monitors, buying a new laptop would be pointless.
    ... not exactly, my lcd screens max refresh rate is 75hz :)

• Advertisement

... not exactly, my lcd screens max refresh rate is 75hz :)

Exactly, it seems the old screens only go as far as 60, most new monitors go up to 75 and 80.

So I have no solution then?

...nobody said how old the screen is :) ..so if is old, no solution there

...nobody said how old the screen is :) ..so if is old, no solution there

thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Your Tv works at 50 or 60 HZ (in U.S.) - does your TV suit you on a fast moving image content programme ?
    Hardly a fair comparison - TV is interlaced, moving content usually benefits from motion blurring on individual frames, it's normally viewed from a greater distance and the viewer is usually not focused on fine detail in a particular area of the display, all of which reduces apparent flicker. Even so, many CRT TVs have a 100 Hz option.

@ciaobellaciao1
    In terms of flicker, 60 Hertz is only low if you're viewing on a CRT monitor. It's not a problem on LCD displays where the backlight is on continuously and the display method is different (iquid crystal shutters retain their last set opacity, whole screen is updated at once).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,270 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More Hz = more power. 3DTV uses 120Hz or higher, and have in some cases almost double the power consumption when running 3D content.

For a laptop, thats all its going to come down to, a poorer battery life.

My Desktop Monitor is running at 60Hz, I usually game at 50Hz because its easier on resources. If it was any higher i probably wouldn't even be able to tell you the difference, especially as it pertains to the desktop and web.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If you lower the screen resolution you might get increased refresh rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Unless you can see screen flicker then there is no need for a higher refresh rate.

Advertisement