Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas/ advice on housing our puppy during the winter months

Options
  • 02-11-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Looking for some advice to ensure our puppy is kept nice and warm as best possible for the winter season when we're not at home.

Currently she has her outside kennel which she spends most of her time in when outdoors but over the last few weeks has come in to the house from about 3pm onwards because the weather has been so miserable.

We crate her at night as she's a bit on the hyper side and tends to chew everything that doesn't move and enjoys trying to dig the couch and she's happy going into the crate too.

Main problem is that I don't think her kennel is providing enough protection from the winter weather we are experiencing and this is just the tip of it I would say. I'm looking to buy or erect something that will provide her with better coverage but really don't know what would work best. Unfortunately the budget is not huge so was looking at a garden shed and putting her iglo kennel inside but not sure that would work, or if there's a cheaper or better alternative.

Any advice or suggestions welcome, thanks. Oh and she's an 8 month Beagle Cocker mix, more beagle coat (very little hair)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Keep her in and crate her at bedtime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What sort of kennel does she have? Is there any kind of dog flap on the front of it? You can easily make something yourself if there isn't, I got some heavy duty plastic type stuff from our local agricultural/hardware shop. Its the kind of stuff that they have hanging down in strips in certain shops/warehouses etc, and apparently on cow sheds, only attached at the top, so that when the animal pushes against it, they can go in and out. You put two bits over the opening, overlapping each other, if that makes sense.

Obviously try and keep the entrance to the kennel out of the wind, even if you have to turn it to face a wall, but leaving enough space so that she can get in and out easily.

If you're any way handy, maybe also make a little kind of porch on the shed, so that theres an overhang coming from the front of the kennel, offer a bit more protection. You know yourself, that if the bedding inside the kennel gets wet, the dog isn't going to be dry at all.

I have a brick built shed that I have put an old futon into, and a couple of pallets, and put straw on, the dogs absolutely love it, and its easy enough to get rid of when its wet and smelly and put fresh in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

ISDW wrote: »
    What sort of kennel does she have? Is there any kind of dog flap on the front of it? You can easily make something yourself if there isn't, I got some heavy duty plastic type stuff from our local agricultural/hardware shop. Its the kind of stuff that they have hanging down in strips in certain shops/warehouses etc, and apparently on cow sheds, only attached at the top, so that when the animal pushes against it, they can go in and out. You put two bits over the opening, overlapping each other, if that makes sense.

Obviously try and keep the entrance to the kennel out of the wind, even if you have to turn it to face a wall, but leaving enough space so that she can get in and out easily.

If you're any way handy, maybe also make a little kind of porch on the shed, so that theres an overhang coming from the front of the kennel, offer a bit more protection. You know yourself, that if the bedding inside the kennel gets wet, the dog isn't going to be dry at all.

I have a brick built shed that I have put an old futon into, and a couple of pallets, and put straw on, the dogs absolutely love it, and its easy enough to get rid of when its wet and smelly and put fresh in.

good idea with the plastic flaps. is that the kinda thing you might see in a supermarket that you can walk tru into a storeroom type thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

was thinking of getting few pallets to make a house for my two that way i can put insulation inside the pallets then cover the inside and outside with plywood and felt the lot prob would only cost 100 euro and far better than any kennel in that price range

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PuppyLove

Thanks for all the feedback, I have found someone who will build what I am looking and which will give her plenty of room and comfort and then she will come inside once we get home. ;) Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

PuppyLove wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback, I have found someone who will build what I am looking and which will give her plenty of room and comfort and then she will come inside once we get home. ;) Thanks again.

Get them to run a low voltage (12 volt) cable from the house to the kennel. Then if it gets too cold you can easily add a heatpad.

pokertalk wrote: »
    good idea with the plastic flaps. is that the kinda thing you might see in a supermarket that you can walk tru into a storeroom type thing?

Yes, thats exactly the stuff.

The OP has an Igloo which have a porch area & are very draft proof. The porch prevents rain from blowing in. It's easy to screen a kennel opening. Heavy material like carpet cut into strip can work.

Indigo-Kennel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

Remember something before you buy/make a kennell for your dog,make it as small as is possible.The more room over the dogs head the colder the air will be in there.If he can stand up inside it and turn around comfortably then its perfect.Last year I had 5 dogs in kennells and all got through the cold spell no hassle.Get a bale of straw from a farmer friend or buy one(5 euros)and pack the box with it,this will insulate your dog well.The draw back from this can be a few fleas,but that can be resolved with a flea collar.A good indication your dog is warm enough is if hes not loosing weight,they tend to loose condition if theyre cold.Plenty of exercise helps blood flow and good food and your away.Dogs have a much higher tolerance to cold/extreme conditions than us humans.The toy breeds of dogs would of course be an exception as they are very finely bred with little resistance to cold/heat/wet.Best of luck with your dog.

transit260 wrote: »
    A good indication your dog is warm enough is if hes not loosing weight,they tend to loose condition if theyre cold.Plenty of exercise helps blood flow and good food and your away.Dogs have a much higher tolerance to cold/extreme conditions than us humans.The toy breeds of dogs would of course be an exception as they are very finely bred with little resistance to cold/heat/wet.Best of luck with your dog.

I would have to disagree in that there is a world of difference between a dog tolerating cold & being comfortable. Anyone who seen an abused/neglected dog will know that they can tolerate an awful lot. But as caring owners we want our dogs to not have to resort to shivering to maintain heat. Exercise can generate heat but a dog can't exercise when it is asleep.

The only possible way of knowing if your dog is cold is either to measure the temperature in the kennel or get up at 4 am & feel the dog's extremities. A dog may need to suffer a lot of cold before it shows in the dog's condition. Some dogs may even appear to be better as they grow longer & thinker coats.

In the past I have assumed that my dogs were comfortable. A thermometer has told me a very different story.

• Advertisement

Discodog if you neglect any dog in anyway then the dog will obviously suffer to some degree.Any responsible caring dog owner will check and oversee his dogs living conditions.I repeat,if you pack his kennell full of straw,fresh dry straw,the dog will be kept very warm indeed.Yes a dog cant generate heat when asleep,hence the straw in abundance.During last years freeze over I went out and checked the dogs underbelly to feel if they were any way chilled or not.They were deep in their beds and as cosy as a ''BUG IN A RUG''.You dont need to go and check at 4 a.m. 12.30 will be a fine time too:D.Its really down to the owner of the dogs,if their not kept warm and well fed and well exercised then they should hang their head in shame or maybe spend a night in the barna shed to experience what their charges are going through.Bottom line its down to every one individually to make sure their animals get the best of everything,unfortunately it doesnt always happen and neglect will unfortunately raise its ugly head continuosly no matter how hard you try to eradicate it.God bless your good intentions.

Just out of interest I have monitored outside temps. Two things to bear in mind. There can be a considerable drop between 12 and 4 am. Also if a dog gets evening exercise it may still have some retained heat at 12 that is gone by 4am. No matter how much straw or other insulation you provide all it is doing is keeping in the heat generated by the dog.

Well Im quiet satisfied my dogs are perfectly comfortable in their beds at night,you seem to be humanising them in my opinion.Dogs are tough critters and if the right steps are taken they can be very comfortable.As I said,small box loads of beding=plenty of warmth.If anyones not happy with this set up you could consider buying a coat to put on them,this also is a help.I did use these too last year.

transit260 wrote: »
    you seem to be humanising them in my opinion

All I am doing is taking the temperatures recommended by Vets in animal legislation & comparing them to the temperature in a kennel. In my case my dogs sleep in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

We have a pump house that isn't used any more, so we insulated it and put a old sofa in it.

We are also installing the heating and will be placing a radiator out there for the really cold months.

For now it is warm, but if we have the some as last winter they will have to sleep inside.

But we do try to get them and their coats used to the cold as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

ah here a dog is a dog leave her outside they adjust to the weather once they have the kennel they'll be grand.my mate has 3 lurcher dogs like a greyhound and they are out all year round not a bother and they dont have much of a coat.dont be soft!!:)

ah here a dog is a dog leave her outside they adjust to the weather once they have the kennel they'll be grand.my mate has 3 lurcher dogs like a greyhound and they are out all year round not a bother and they dont have much of a coat.dont be soft!!:)

How do you know that they are not bothered ?. It's not "soft" to want an animal to be comfortable. You would cope living in an unheated shed even at pretty low temperatures. Coping is one thing, enjoying a basic comfort is something else.

just my opinion i understand what you mean your dog is a pet 2 you i presume.on the other hand his are for hunting they hardly even have names :D

just my opinion i understand what you mean your dog is a pet 2 you i presume.on the other hand his are for hunting they hardly even have names :D

They still have feelings :mad:

Mine are working dogs as well, but last night, with the weather we were forecast, they all slept in the house - and they have big thick double coats on. Yes I'm soft, but working dogs should be treated the same as pets, possibly even better, as they are actually doing something useful for their owner. The best working dogs are treated humanely and with a lot of respect, otherwise they surely wouldn't work to the best of their ability.

• Advertisement

I also have lurchers and salukis and they cost me a lot of cash,but even if they were free they should be treated humanely,as all dogs should,worker or not.Its good to see owners of dogs doing their best to ensure their mutts are comfortable,workers or not.

our dogs are treated well, big garden,a kennel each,fed everyday,out lampin about twice a week and walked on other days.isnt a dogs summer the snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

While to me common sense would dictate that it depends on the breed how a dog can cope with extreme winter conditions and cold i.e. a samoyed would deal with living outside in a kennel far better than a yorkie or chihuahua would I still wonder why people have dogs and make them live out, it doesn't make sense to me.

All our dogs lived inside and I would never dream of leaving them out to "deal" with the winter cold. Obviously they were not inside all the time, they came in and out from the garden on top of their walks but always came in to sleep at night. I believe part of the duty of care of being a dog owner is not leaving them to sleep in the cold outside in the winter. If you are worried about the mess or a few dog hairs then why bother to get a dog in the first place! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kezimus

This thread may have brightened up my day, would anyone be able to take a look at my Casey and see if her coat would be okay for outdoor living, I'll modify her kennel in any way necessary if there is any chance she would be alright!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68829940&postcount=611

Advertisement