Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering a pup

Options
  • 02-11-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hey all we're getting our pup neutered on Friday, just wanted to know will he need to stay inside for a few days, can we bring him for short walks or is it best to keep him in his crate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Keep him inside for the first day or two, short on leash walks after that should be fine until his stitches are out, just make sure the wound is kept clean, it is quite muddy and wet out at the moment. If you have any doubts just check with the vet nurse when you are picking him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy had it done the first week in Jan and we had to keep him on his lead until the stitches were taken out and no jumping around or up on the couch etc. We took him back to have to wound inspected after a few days and then he had the stitches out a few days after that - then it was straight over to the park for his first gallop off lead in the snow!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Snip Infraction issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

It sounds as if the OP has made their decison as we all must do to suit our own set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Usually, the day they come home they are very groggy so make sure he is kept warm and indoors. He might want a small amount of food so offer him a little but, because of the anaesthetic, he might feel sick so if he may not want to eat so don't worry if he doesn't. He should stay inside for at least the first few days, if not until the stitches come out.

Most stitches are removed after 10 days, until this time you will need to keep him as chilled in the house as possible (not jumping or tearing around the place) and bring him for short walks on the lead (don't let him off or allow him to walk in long grass). You may or may not have a buster collar - use it if needed. I would advise you always have it on him when you are not able to supervise him (at night etc.). Try to keep him away from the stitches, they might drive him mad or he might not notice them - it all depends on the dog. Keep an eye on the stitches and watch out for any signs of redness or swelling - if this does happen he will need to see a vet. Once they are removed, he will be back to normal and not notice anything happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How about you read up on the benefits on neutering dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

ddef wrote: »
    how about leave the poor thing's genitals intact?
    Male by any chance????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

mav79 wrote: »
    Hey all we're getting our pup neutered on Friday, just wanted to know will he need to stay inside for a few days, can we bring him for short walks or is it best to keep him in his crate?

Hi OP, I got my 6 month old pup spayed today, She went in at 10:30 this morning and came home at 5:30. I washed all her bedding in between. She's curled up on the sofa on a bit of vet bed feeling a bit sorry for herself now. She hadn't been to the toilet so I gave her the opportunity before putting her in the crate for the journey home. She didn't go though and a very runny poo on the way home in the car (a first!). She did need a bit of cleaning up but not being her usual fiesty self stood still and let me do it. She barked on the sofa later and I took her to the door to go out but she was having none of it. It's disgusting outside anyway, raining and mud everywhere so I left her in and she went straight back to the sitting room and peed on a book one of the kids left lying on the sitting room floor (another first). I've put down a training pad inside the front door now so I'm just going to let her go there for a few days.

I bought a collar for her and tried to get her used to it in advance but she was terrified of it. She isn't licking her stitches or anything so I've just left her and will put her coat on before bed as the splash guard covers the wound.

I left a bowl of water out for her but she hasn't touched it. Will try her with a bit of her usual food in the morning softened with a bit of warm water which will hopefully make it go down a bit easier.

She isn't licking her stitches or anything so I've just left her and will put her coat on before bed as the splash guard covers the wound.

Just realised this obviously won't work for you :rolleyes: I'm not really with it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Cheers for all the tips, keeping him calm will be the biggest problem. He doesn't use his crate anymore but i heard its good to keep him in it when he's unsupervised.

• Advertisement

mav79 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the tips, keeping him calm will be the biggest problem. He doesn't use his crate anymore but i heard its good to keep him in it when he's unsupervised.

That will be my problem also as soon as the drugs start to wear off!

Advertisement