Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using irish desktop in Canada

• 02-11-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use my irish dell desktop pc in Canada. what with their different voltages..?

my dell laptop works fine but thats due to its powersupply

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

...probably yes, check for voltage range on the computers psu or for voltage switch 110 - 230v

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

i just have one power cable for the monitor.. the monitor says - 110-240v
    do i need to get a powersupply for the computer

..all information must be on computers power supply - have a look at the label sticked on it or look for small sliding switch with 110 - 230v on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

PSUs have been universal for some considerable time. Just to be sure check the user manual (hard-copy or online).

What do i need to ask for when buying one for the computer itself

• Advertisement

..ask for psu's voltage range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

bonkers wrote: »
    dont have the psu
    It's in a metal box inside your desktop computer's case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_%28computer%29

It is very likely that your existing PSU can handle both 115V and 230V. Look for a label on it like this to confirm:
    133472.jpg
    If there is no 115-230 switch on the back panel and the AC INPUT lists both 115V and 230V, it will accept either.

It seems to have both options there is a red switch at backaswell it shows 230 at moment

and if u slide red switch gives u 115

....thats mean it will work in Canada (on 115v settings) :)

• Advertisement

thanks its on and working... now all the problem i have is getting control of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Check voltage plates, as pictured above.

Canada uses 120V 60hz as opposed too 230V 50hz in the EU.

Most computers are happy on European or North American mains power. Just check.carefully and set any switches to 110-120v if the computer is not auto sensing.

Other than that, buy Canadian power cables, or fit appropriate 3 pin (US / Can grounded/earthed) rewirable plugs, cutting off the Irish ones.

just check the voltage plates carefully before plugging in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have a load of US/Canadian power cables here. Came with some equipment we had shipped over from the US.. If you need some spare cables, drop me a pm. They are going to waste here so someone may get some use from them.. :)

Tox

Advertisement