Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog killed pet rabbit

Options
  • 02-11-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Looking for guidance on the subject. My neighbours dog was being looked after by a friend and when the kids were playing with the rabbit the dog snatched at it and killed it.

Looking for some guidance for her. She is beside herself as you can imagine. Dog isn't in the best form all week....

Anyone any suggestions? I know dogs are put down for killing sheep all the time. But rabbits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It is very sad, especially as the children had to see their pet killed in this way. Unfortunately though, dogs are dogs, and especially as this dog doesn't usually live with the rabbit, it wouldn't be unexpected for it to do this in my opinion.

The person looking after the dog made a mistake, and one that unfortunately they will have to live with and regret for a very long time, we've all done things we wish we hadn't.

There is no way that the dog can beheld accountable for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

What did they think the dog would do? Dogs get put down for chasing sheep in packs, this wouldnt happen if people fenced off their sites properly totally seperate issue to a dog killing a rabbit that someone put under its nose! Did the dog eat the rabbit? If it did maybe a bit of it is lodged and causing it be 'off form'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The dog owner isn't at fault because the dog minder was looking after the dog and should of been watching. Any responsible rabbit owner will not let a dog that is not there's and they don't know that well anywhere near a rabbit.
    Poor rabbit. But not the dogs fault. It's the person who was minding the dogs fault. Can't see how she could be held accountable because it was up to the rabbit owner to look after the welfare of their rabbit and use their block and not let a rabbit near a dog that isn't familiar with rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Cheers folks. I appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being a little hard hearted here. The kids have learned a lesson the hard way. That dogs do what dogs do. And that pets need protection.

We had the same happen once when a pet gerbil emerged unexpectedly when a new Siamese cat was in the room. ....

It is a lesson that is never forgotten.

All cats and dogs are themselves..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Being a little hard hearted here. The kids have learned a lesson the hard way. That dogs do what dogs do. And that pets need protection.

We had the same happen once when a pet gerbil emerged unexpectedly when a new Siamese cat was in the room. ....

It is a lesson that is never forgotten.

All cats and dogs are themselves..

???? how ???The adults are responsible !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi OP - I have to agree - this was not the dogs fault.

I hope the kids are ok and recovering from this ordeal. It might be worth explaining to them that the dog is not necessarily bad, It might save them developing an irrational fear?

I also hope your friend doesn't change the way she looks at her dog. It is still the same dog it always was. It just acted on its natural instinct. If she is treating the dog differently that may be why it seems off form.

Please advise her not to have the dog PTS. There really is no justification. If she feels the need to get rid of the dog (and I really hope she doesn't) please advise her not to have it PTS and not to put it into a pound. Local rescues can help her rehome. She will need to be honest about the reasons but as you can see from this thread, most people will be very understanding of the circumstances.

EDIT: don't usually like Chris Rock but thats a brilliant quote "that tiger didn't go crazy - that tiger went tiger!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

boxerly wrote: »
    ???? how ???The adults are responsible !

She didn't say the kids were responsible, she said they learned a lesson the hard way, I think we'll all agree it definately was the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Its a sick lesson and one young children shouldnt have to learn or see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

boxerly wrote: »
    Its a sick lesson and one young children shouldnt have to learn or see.

I know. But it has happened and needs must make the best of it. And of course the adults were totally at fault, but recriminations are not going to do any good now and will upset the children even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

What did they think the dog would do? Dogs get put down for chasing sheep in packs, this wouldnt happen if people fenced off their sites properly totally seperate issue to a dog killing a rabbit that someone put under its nose! Did the dog eat the rabbit? If it did maybe a bit of it is lodged and causing it be 'off form'

Not really the dog's fault, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be put down for something like that, it could prove a potential danger though, a kill is a kill and for it to happen with kids around could lead to some very uncomfortable neighbours.

OT but How can you fence a site so a dog can't get in???

Advertisement