Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermentation Stopped..

Options
  • 02-11-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello, first time home brewer here,
    I used the Coopers microbrew kit and followed the instructions exactly. Since they failed to recommend taking an original SG I do not know what it was.
    I took a SG reading on Day 4 which was 1020.
    Today, Day 10 and the specific gravity is still 1020 (Expected FG is 1008-1010).
    So should I just go ahead and bottle at the two week mark, or do something to bring the SG down? Any advice is appreciated.

Other info:
    -There is a white layer at the bottom of the fermenter, presumably the yeast cake.
    -I did not notice any bubbling activity whatsoever from the airlock. (Though I'm pretty sure it is sealed, since the water levels differed for the first few days).
    -Temperature was kept between 18c and 20c throughout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

You could gently rouse the yeast with a sanitized long metal or plastic spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Thanks for the reply,
    I was reluctant to open it up, but I will give that a try tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Okay, so just out of curiosity I put my hydrometer in tap water to check if I'm getting the correct readings. And I got 1004. (The hydrometer was rinsed and the water was at room temperature)
    Do I just have a crappy hydrometer?
    That would give my brew a FG of 1016 (even after rousing the yeast) which is still a bit high, but I will probably bottle tomorrow and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well I started a beer kit at the weekend...

Have it in the bedroom with a blanket around it, day time temp is 14c, in the evening it rises to 20c with the radiator on.

But not a peep nothing no bubbles from the airlock, the lid is on tight should i loosen it?

and should i give it a stir?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Can you see a foamy layer on top of the beer? The co2 could be escaping through the lid even if it is fermenting. You generally want an ale to ferment at about 18C to 20C. Keep the beer well wrapped up to keep it close to 18C. If there is still no sign of fermentation you could use a sanitised spoon to gently rouse the yeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes theres a foamy layer on top, i taught that was supposed to subside after a few days

Advertisement