Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmigraing with Dog

• 02-11-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience shipping their dogs to Canada. (Or anywhere else) .
    We are toying with the idea of moving to Canada for a few years and obviously my dog is coming with us!
    He has a pet passport but my main problem is getting him from Ireland to the Uk as it seems pretty easy to fly him in Cargo from the UK. The problem seems to be airlines in Ireland not allowing pets?

Also i'd just like to hear about peoples experiences with travelling with their pets. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Jen???? Oh, Canada is amazing, and Gunnar will love it there. Could you not travel over to the UK by ferry, and then fly from there? I guess though that you wouldn't be taking the car with you, as you will be flying from London. Hmmmm, you could get him transported by ferry by one of the dog transporters I'm sure.

Whereabouts in Canada are you thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

jen_23 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience shipping their dogs to Canada. (Or anywhere else) .
    We are toying with the idea of moving to Canada for a few years and obviously my dog is coming with us!
    He has a pet passport but my main problem is getting him from Ireland to the Uk as it seems pretty easy to fly him in Cargo from the UK. The problem seems to be airlines in Ireland not allowing pets?

Also i'd just like to hear about peoples experiences with travelling with their pets. Thanks!

Oh reallyJen??:eek:
    My friend emigrated to Australia and took both her dogs with her, well she had to get them sent on to her afte she left.
    I can try and find out what companies she used.

I have a feeling that theres only one airline that flies animals to the States so not sure if same applies to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi Karen yep it's me!! :D
    We are only doing the research into it now so not too sure where we'l be heading to. We would like Toronto but to be honest wherever we get jobs. I think Gunnar (and the new pup!) will love it out there.

That's what I was thinking about the ferry - I know to transport dogs you need to be a car passenger. Is there a way to get them transported on the ferry without having a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

andreac wrote: »
    Oh reallyJen??:eek:
    My friend emigrated to Australia and took both her dogs with her, well she had to get them sent on to her afte she left.
    I can try and find out what companies she used.

I have a feeling that theres only one airline that flies animals to the States so not sure if same applies to Canada.

Thanks Andrea that would be a great help!
    I've found 2 airlines that ship from Heathrow as long as you have a fit to fly cert from the vet. My problem is how to get them from Ireland to Heathrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

jen_23 wrote: »
    Thanks Andrea that would be a great help!
    I've found 2 airlines that ship from Heathrow as long as you have a fit to fly cert from the vet. My problem is how to get them from Ireland to Heathrow.

Maybe talk to ED, over on tnt, he works at Dublin airport, might know a way of getting the dogs to London, or direct to Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Aer arrann take dogs to the UK, enquired about bringing one of ours(Waterford-Luton), but we ended up going by ferry.
    Was pretty cheap to medium sized dog worked out to about €40. Give them a call they were very helpful when I spoke to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

mymo wrote: »
    Aer arrann take dogs to the UK, enquired about bringing one of ours(Waterford-Luton), but we ended up going by ferry.
    Was pretty cheap to medium sized dog worked out to about €40. Give them a call they were very helpful when I spoke to them.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but could you give me the names of the airlines which fly to Canada, preferably Edmonton but as long as I get my doggie over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but could you give me the names of the airlines which fly to Canada, preferably Edmonton but as long as I get my doggie over there!

there are a few from the UK, BA to the main cities anyway. BMI seem to be the only airline that will fly pets out of Ireland from all the checking we've done.

airsea.ie are a company we were in touch with specifically about pet export, were very useful.

Advertisement