Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Too Much Tax

Options
  • 02-11-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I've been working for a company for a few months now and 2 months ago I filled in the form to get my tax sorted because I didn't have a p45.

A couple of weeks later I inquired about what was happening as I was still being taxed etc. They said oh we sorted it and it's the tax offices fault. So i went to see what was going on in the tax office and they informed me that the company has not applied for an employers number.

The company finally admitted this after I bugged my manager to ring head office (i'm not allowed to ring head office myself). The say they are 'working on it'.

But my problem is that they are taxing me 41% on very little wages!!! I have debts and need at least 100euro a week to keep the bank happy but because of this issue I'm struggling and having to borrow from friends and stuff.

So basically I've asked my manager to ask that head office stop taxing me so much because it's not my fault that they haven't got it sorted yet but she is reluctant. They aren't even taxing one of the other girls!!!

What can I do? According to the tax office they have had no dealing with the company and therefore don't care if I'm emergency taxed or not, so why are they doing this to me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ask your company for (what is essentially) their VAT number, or find it on their invoices or online through the cro.

call you local tax office in your area and inform them that you have started work with this company quoting the number. The tax office will issue you and your employer with a tax cert for you however it will now be up to your employer to input or download that info into their payroll and then you will get back what tax you overpaid and will commence paying tax at the appropiate level to your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The problem is that they don't have the number your referring to. The man in the tax office searched for the company name and everything and they have not been issued a number because according to the tax office they haven't applied for it.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Are your employer paying the deducted tax to to Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

3DataModem wrote: »
    Are your employer paying the deducted tax to to Revenue?

Nope!

Thats whats upsetting me so much, i just can't understand why they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If it's a large company the employer's tax number could be under an umbrella name on the tax register.

Search for the co here and see what comes up:

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

If you do not think you tax is being paid, make sure have originals of all your payslips. Do not give these back to your employer, always photocopy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

sounds very suspicious to me.

Its the employer PAYE number you need not VAT number and if they don't have one of these then they shouldn't be employing people.

This happened to me once, many years ago - shop I worked for were taking tax from my wages but not paying on my tax to revenue. When I left the number they put on my P45 was a dud and it turned out they weren't registered for tax so were basically stealing my money from my wages on the pretence of it being tax.

Is this a large company? you say others are not paying any tax at all....

if they have no PAYE no then there is no way they can pass on this tax they are taking from you.

You need to speak to revenue ASAP. if they are a genuine company then they must have a PAYE no - don't get your boss to ring Head office - YOU need to tell him that you need to speak to payroll about YOUR salary payments. This is not something he should be doing for you. He cannot tell you you are 'not allowed' to do this - of course you are, its your personal salary issue. Anyone in payroll will have easy access to the PAYE number, so don't get fobbed off easily. anyone who does anything with payroll knows this number and will have it to hand.

don't sit back and let it slide because they are not doing what they should - technically if revenue are not receiving your tax then you are working illegally and you don't want to be caught up in a mess your employer made.

Advertisement