Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor or TV?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread, but I can't seem to find one that would cover my questions, so I'll give it a go.
    I'll be building my computer soon, hopefully in 2 weeks time, or right after Christmas, I'm fairly sure what I'm going for(most prob i5-760, new 6870 and such) but I can't decide on monitor. Here comes the real question, do I go for a monitor or lcd tv? The way I see it is I will either go for a nice 24 inch gaming-ish monitor for around 200 or get a 40-42 inch lcd tv, there is no between I'm afraid as it doesnt make sense for me, 26 or 32 cost twice as much as 24, 40-42 is often only 50 or 100 quid more than 32 inch..
    Is anyone using a big screen as your primary monitor? Does it make sense to go for such a monster? mind that I'm using computer at work a lot and when I get home I will use the pc mainly for some gaming, watching movies and some NBA basketball via league pass over internet, no word, chat, bookface or such. From what I've been reading most of you have 22-23 monitors, or if someone does have a bigger screen he usually has a smaller one as well. just looking for some opinions on that, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You're right, its not the place for this. Post split.

And a TV kills two birds with one stone and has much more surface area, but in return costs more for slightly lower usability (they're not as well-optimised for displaying text). Of course, most modern TVs no longer have tuners that work in this country either... :(:mad: If you want to use your monitor for text (games and web) try to pick up a 1080p model if you have the graphical grunt to drive it. Of course, almost any 22"+ monitor will be 1080p anyway...

A monitor is better if you like being close to your screen, but you'd need an aerial port and tuner card to watch terrestrial on it. Then again, you can pick up good gaming-grade 22" monitors for around €130, and high-end models for €150-200. 24" screens are a bit pricier.

Advertisement