Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for crate rest?

• 02-11-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says my little baby will be getting an operation to straighten out one of his legs next week!!!!! Does anyone have any tips for when he's confined to his crate?

Just some background - we took him to UCD in August and I wasn't happy with the diagnosis so got a second opinion from Gilabbey Vets in Cork. Anyhoos we found out last week that they never sent the xrays down to Cork as requested last month :mad:, so the xrays only went down on Friday/yesterday and the vet in Cork called me back earlier to arrange the surgey so I'm in shock lol!!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sorry to hear your dogs is having a hard time. If it was me I'd try stimulate him as much as possible without having him to move too much, so I'd stop feeding him in his bowl but try to think of more stimulating ways to feed him that will take longer and keep his mind ticking over, things like kongs and things. I'd also get him a raw bone or two to occupy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks!! I've been giving him his meals in Kongs in the crate to get him used to it. He loves his nylabones too so I'll add them to my list! :) He's 15 months now and has settled down a lot in the last few months - he'll sleep during the day when I'm working from home so hopefully he won't go crazy being cooped up.

Poor little mite :(
    I know my 15 month old would be climbing the walls if she missed even one walk let alone having to be restrained for a couple of weeks, hope your guy feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would keep up the feeding meals in the kongs, also get a few raw bones from the butcher, bit of marrowbone will last all day;)
    I think those puzzle things for dogs would be useful too for the evenings to wear him out mentally.
    I've just had a cat on crate rest for 6 weeks with a broken hip, nightmare and he has 2 more weeks before he can have free roam, have to build up strength again. I really feel for you, it'll be hard but it will fly.
    Best of luck, I hope this helps him.

Thanks guys! I was looking at the puzzle things on zooplus so might get one of them too! He's usually very good and sleeps when I work from home so I'm hoping if I can wear him out eg with some training games or with kongs and chews it'll help the time pass quicker.

• Advertisement

My little baby is getting his operation today! :(

tk123 wrote: »
    My little baby is getting his operation today! :(

Best of Luck! :)

Lol he's not getting the op until tomorrow now so we were worrying for nothing. Apparently he's "eating away and in great form" lol - he's down in Cork charming them all :pac: and we're worrying about him up in Dublin!! :D

Update - he's home :) He has a plate and 7 pins - no external fixators like we first thought!! The main prob at the moment is that he's unsettled in the crate and crying to come out - he'll take his kongs or chews but the second he's finished he cries. He'll cry for ages then settle down for a little while/have a sleep and then get up cry again. :( Am I right in thinking I just need to be tough with him and let him cry and accept that he's in the crate and thats it?! I'd happily let him out and sit on the floor beside him or take him to sit outside but if I do that I don't think accept that he's on crate rest for 4 weeks?! Or am i being too mean?!? GAH!! I've had him out to the loo 4 times already today (3 wees and 1 poo) and the vet told me to only let him out 3 times a day! :confused::(

Advertisement