Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivation for parents in education

• 02-11-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

I'm studying about parents in college and looking for opinions on what are the motivational factors in education. Why do parents send their kids to school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

To get rid of them for a few hours a day!!!

Joking of course, but this is a strange questions. Do you mean as opposed to home schooling them.

Sending my son to school wasn't even a decision to be made. In my world kids go to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

yes but why do you send them, is it just coz u have to or you'll get into trouble with the law? are teachers great babysitters? do you want your kids to go to college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Again this is a strange question. I want my kids to get an education and have opportunities in life. You can't get far without knowing how to read and write.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Less of the text speak please, "y" and "o" are not more difficult to press than "u".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Never heard of anyone ask that before.
    As has been pointed out, you need to be more specific if you want answers. Are you asking why I want my children to have an education, or why in a formal school setting.

The short answer is that I want them to have an education and I dont want to home school them

The longer answer ...

What does School offer children ?

A formal education ( reading, maths etc)
    They makes lots of friends
    They learn about working with a group of people, some of who are not their friends but they must get on with them anyway
    School events like concerts, cake sales, charity events are great opportunities for children to develop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

I'm looking at different factors for parents, why are parents motivated in education?

So far I've looked at:
    Parents want children to reach their full potential
    Parents want their kids to get a good job
    Their own experience will affect how they feel about education
    The value people place on education will affect their motivation
    Some people want their kids to do well to keep up with the Joneses
    Some people might not be motivated in their kids education if they have their own personal problems

Anything I'm missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

some people are just motivated people in everything they do whether its in their own lives or the lives of their children or family or friends. Whether I'm helping my kids with learning how to cycle, how to hold their knife and fork properly or play hurling, read a book, learn to drive or whatever - I want them to do the best they can. I want them to be motivated for and in themselves.

Advertisement