Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cable areas???

Options
  • 02-11-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what counties in Ireland can receive UPC cable TV??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

All major cities and some smaller towns, eg Limerick, Cashel, Cork, Portlaoise etc....in the countryside it is all MMDS...only where LINE of Sight is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Absolutely definitely :

Cork (Digital TV HD/SD, Broadband, Phone) [Analogue services ceased 2yrs ago]
    Dublin (Digital TV HD/SD, Analogue TV, Broadband, Phone)
    Galway (Digital TV HD/SD, Analogue TV, Broadband, Phone)
    Limerick (Digital TV HD/SD, Analogue TV, Broadband, Phone)
    Waterford (Digital TV HD/SD, Analogue TV, Broadband, Phone)

As far as I am aware, Portlaoise, Athlone, Tullamore, Kildare and some of the midlands towns are cabled.

There are quite a few other medium sized towns on the network and it is expanding as they are making use of existing fibre networks i.e. MANs and long distance fibre to cable up more towns and also outlying areas of the major cities. They're also putting down a lot of their own fibre.

A comprehensive list would be useful detailing what's available where. Also, the larger cities, particularly Cork and Dublin should have it detailed suburb by suburb as well as their satellite towns as there are some anomalies, particularly where Chorus cheaped-out and put in MMDS instead of cable in urban areas in the 90s and 00s!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Solair wrote: »
    There are quite a few other medium sized towns on the network and it is expanding as they are making use of existing fibre networks i.e. MANs and long distance fibre to cable up more towns and also outlying areas of the major cities. They're also putting down a lot of their own fibre.

Where? Castlebar had a cable network partially built about 10 years ago and with Govt. money, it's still waiting to be activated and have customers transferred onto it. From what I've read here, the only areas they've cabled since taking over are bits of Bray, Limerick and Rush/Lusk in Co. Dublin. And they already had the distribution network in place, some of them were swapped from MMDS headends and feeds or else had a supplemental microwave link placed alongside the MMDS equipment just to provide broadband.

Advertisement